Hope for AR5007EG?

mackerintel

81 posts in this topic

I had the hidden ssid issue too until I rebooted into Vista, threw up in a violent reaction to seeing Vista, turned the card on in Vista and then rebooted Leopard.

anyone have a suggestion as to what to do if we don't have vista or xp to boot up from? i wiped everything off the machine and only have os x on it. can't think of what else to try!

anyone have a suggestion as to what to do if we don't have vista or xp to boot up from? i wiped everything off the machine and only have os x on it. can't think of what else to try!

Well, I was able to boot from the Ubuntu 8.10 live cd and wireless worked. I didn't activate or reset the card for OS X unfortunately... Still trying.

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 using Leopard 10.5.4.(iATKOS 4i.iso) and Vista Ultimate

.In Vista under Device Manager it gives me an Atheros 5007EG but on another

hard Disk runing XP it displays Atheros 5006 so i did the following

1.Without installing Airport Update 2008-004

l use kext helper to install io80211family.kext (v.2.1.2)

2. After an restart i noticed that Airport turned on but yellow (No Network)

I have tried at least 5 or 6 different versions of io80211family.kext but only version 2.1.2 loads properly and gives me

under System Profiler/Airport Card/ Airport Extreme (0x168c,0x428) and

System Profiler/ Extensions

-AirPortAtheros v.3.1.5

-IO80211Family v.2.1.2

I noticed that the networkinterface.plist under /library/preferences/systemconfiguration is en1

If i delete all the mkext files and repair io80211family.kext permissions

(chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext

chown -R root:wheel /system/extensions/io80211family.kext)

after the next restart the AirPortAtheros /IO80211Family are vanished!!!

3. So I tried the >-f< trick editing f to com.apple.boot.plist

from /Library /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

as bellow

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key> Kernel Flags </key>

<string>-f</string>

4. Although it gave me kernel panic l rebooted as -v so l reboot again as root user

5.Then without Repair disk permission or repairing io80211family.kext permissions again or anything else

6.l started kismac went to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode --> Start scan

and after l see network detected, l close it .l went to the airport icon on the top right on my desktop

and my network was listed. I clicked on it

From System preferences/Network the Airport icon is green!!!!Surfing with safari the the wireless Lan LED is

always inactive like if it doesn't work?

The only thing thats annoying is that l have to always start kismac.

IO80211Family_kext_v.2.1.2.zip

Atheros_5007EG_proof.zip

MORE PROGRESS, RESULTING IN AN ACTUAL CONNECTION! I MADE THIS POST WITH IT.

I lose the connection after a minute or two put there is proof that the card can get up, get on and move data.

I installed the kext from the beginning of this thread but that just makes the card scan, never finds a network.

On a hunch I downloaded Kismac, went to preferences and added Airport Extreme Passive Mode, entered my password when prompted and went to the scan window and clicked start scan. Within 30 seconds networks started appearing! Better yet I then went to the airport icon and my network was listed. I clicked on it, it promoted me for a password and connected to the network with WPA security.

The connection only lasts for a few minutes before the airport acts like the network disappeared. When it is active it has bursts of speed and then becomes very slow. In Vista the card is very quick from the same place in the house.

So, now it connects but now we need to make it stable.

By the way this is for sure an AR5007 and the PC is a Compaq Presario C771.

CHeck out these files they might help you as this is the drivers that Kismac loads for Atheros Cards.

There might be something in the code wise that might just help you. Goodluck!!!

Archive.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 in order to install "Airport update 2004-2008" ...

I have followed the Kismac method... but I am stuck...

It seems I have a signal but I don't see any wifi acces point...

When I try to scan with airport menu, I lost signal on the icon on the top.

Any idea ?

post-306323-1230673504_thumb.png

Hello,

I have updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 in order to install "Airport update 2004-2008" ...

I have followed the Kismac method... but I am stuck...

It seems I have a signal but I don't see any wifi acces point...

When I try to scan with airport menu, I lost signal on the icon on the top.

Any idea ?

most of the time mine do the same,appears to be scanning but nothing, dont ask why but believe me, don't restart turn off o computer and try it....and try it , restart for mine is for sure a kernel panic or nothing on kismac.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news and Bad news...

Once, I have succed to open wifi. :wacko: I follow the instruction...

I have rebooted... Since, I lost wifi, I am failing to get back :unsure:

There is no reason why it have worked in first, and now nothing happen...

Any idea ?

post-306323-1231707235_thumb.png

Good news and Bad news...

Once, I have succed to open wifi. :) I follow the instruction...

I have rebooted... Since, I lost wifi, I am failing to get back :)

There is no reason why it have worked in first, and now nothing happen...

Any idea ?

Try deleting Extensions.mkext before shutting down. On next start, see if it works.

Thanks for reply,

I have tried to deleting Extensions.mkext and reboot...

Great that's working again ;) but when I reboot again... I lost wifi :(

Should I have delete Extensions.mkext each time to get wifi ?

Yes. Delete every time. That's the only workaround I know until a more permanent solution is found.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Alot, it works perfectly, I have iAtkos v5i Leopard 10.5.5 (Updated to 10.5.6) on my ( Compaq Presario c700 ) laptop "Don't remember the exact model but i think it's c707 :) ", here is the steps:

1. download your kext and installed it with OSX86Tools and restart.

2. install kismac trunk r319 and restart.

3. open kismac and add ( Airport Extreme Passive Mode ) and click scan.

4. when scanning start show networks stop it and exit kismac.

5. go to airport and select network and start your WiFi journey :D .

Note:

1. Wireless light not work (no blue light) but the wireless works fine.

2. Make sure the wifi turned on from another os (wireless button not work under mac os).

3. Dual-Boot is a must with this method because if you have just mac os installed and you turned the wireless button off accidentally you'll be in a big problem because you'll not be able to turn it on in mac :wacko: ... don't forget this.

Big thanks and appreciation to YOU & OLDMACLOVER "who discovered the method to use the kext" ... OLDMACLOVER Article

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one with this problem?

So I followed your guide, and Kismac sees the network(s)... Even better, the built-in airport detects all three networks in my proximity (1 open, 2 WPA).

However, whenever I try to connect to any of these, it first says "connecting to network" and then "Connection timeout" or "Network timeout"

Any suggestions?

Edit: never mind, i got the open one working now somehow ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one with this problem?

So I followed your guide, and Kismac sees the network(s)... Even better, the built-in airport detects all three networks in my proximity (1 open, 2 WPA).

However, whenever I try to connect to any of these, it first says "connecting to network" and then "Connection timeout" or "Network timeout"

Any suggestions?

Edit: never mind, i got the open one working now somehow :)

Here is what I do to resolve the stability issue on my Acer 5570z using the Atheros 5007eg wireless and the previous steps in this guide to get the card recognized:

1. Scan for wireless networks with KisMac

2. Stop KisMac once it sees networks

4. Connect to the network of your choice

5. LOG OFF (do NOT reboot)

6. Log back on using the SAME id/name you were logged in with before

7. The wireless network you were connected to before should connect automatically and stay connected with no drops!

I've done this multiple times this week, and it works everytime! I've stayed connected for over 12 hours at a time with great connection signal/strength and speed! Not a true "solution", but for now it works! I also used the tape trick on pin 20 of the Atheros card (detailed on other posts), so I don't need to boot into another OS first. The card always has power, and you don't have to worry about kill switch!!!

sotek11, I got two questions for you.

1) Can you post a diagram about where you tape the pin on the card? I can't seem to find it.

2) Do you get any KP's while booting with this method?

Thanks

Pin 20 on my card was different from the pic that someone posted of theirs. It does appear that at least 1 pin has a marking on it (on mine, pin 5 was labeled as J5). I then just counted the pins (front and back, as the odd number pins were on the side that pin 5 was on, pin 20 was on the opposite side of the card from pin 5). The odd number pins will be on the top of the card (you should see the connectors for the antennae wires).

I then cut a piece of electrical tape with an xacto knife, stuck it on so it only covered pin 20 (carefully trimmed off excess tape) and stuck it back in.

Here is a card similar to mine:

post-375964-1235542604_thumb.jpg

I got a KP a couple of times, so I rebooted, when into single user mode (hit enter at boot, type -s), then did /sbin/fsck -fy and then /sbin/mount -uw / , then rebooted.

Once I was able to get back in, I launched disk utilities and repaired the permissions from there. I haven't had a KP for a couple of days now.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have this working on a Samsung NC10 under 10.5.6 retail DVD installation? I have replaced the IO80211Family.kext and changed the WLAN card to en1. Airport card shows up now which is a big improvement. KisMAC just scans forever and never reports anything. The kernel kicks out "unable to reset channel" while KisMac runs.

I hate to strip every screw on my new Samsung to replace the card.

If anyone knows where the source for this effort can be found, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...