80 replies to this topic

oldmaclover

oldmaclover

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
OK here is my attempt at a guide:

First, make sure the card is on in another OS and restart. Those of you hoping to not have to dual boot are out of luck right now.

1. Starting from 10.5.5 and a vanilla kernel.

2. Download and install the Airport Update 2008-004. Reboot.

3. Download and install the IO8211Family.kext at the beginning of this thread with Kexthelper unless you feel like doing all of the prermission repairs and stuff.

4. Download and install Kismac trunk r319.

5. Reboot. You have a 40% chance of getting a boot without a kernel panic. Just retry, it will eventually reboot fine.

6. Open Kismac before you do anything. Go to prefererences and find the tab for drivers. Add the Airport Extreme Passive mode one. Active mode does not work. Exit that menu and then click start scan. You will start to see networks. Once you see networks quit Kismac.

7. Now go the airport icon in the top bar and click on Join Other Network. (if the icon is not there you need to go to network preferences and enable the icon.) Then click on show networks. Your network will come up. Click on it, click join and then it will ask you for your network password. Enter that and then it will connect to your network and be stable. You will have to set up a network in the networking preference panel for the airport card just like normal.

On my Presario C771 the WIFI lights are not on blue but the card still works.

When you restart you will sometimes get a kernel error. Just try again. When you restart you will only have to do steps 6 and 7 and will not have to reenter you network password if you put it in your keychain when prompted.

It works everytime I boot now as long as the hardware button on the notebook is not pressed. The network stays on all the time and is fast.

md2719

md2719

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm not exactly in your situation cause the first time i could connect, scanning with kismac.. After rebooting I can't.. I don't find any networks, only sometimes a hidden ssidd..

oldmaclover

oldmaclover

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I had the hidden ssid issue too until I rebooted into Vista, threw up in a violent reaction to seeing Vista, turned the card on in Vista and then rebooted Leopard.

diogan

diogan

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

I had the hidden ssid issue too until I rebooted into Vista, threw up in a violent reaction to seeing Vista, turned the card on in Vista and then rebooted Leopard.

LOL

Bassy Sweeeeet

Bassy Sweeeeet

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Thanks man!!, your a genius. I followed that guide from "oldmaclover", and now i successfully have my wireless working now =D.

If anyone wants me to help them just let me know.

and if i dont reply, just Instant Message me on Windows Live Messenger via this address: bass-2k8@hotmail.co.uk

Look at my previous posts :) to find out more info on this case. =)

Here are some images of that i have done it to prove to you. My wireless is Atheros AR5007EG.
Does anyone know how to print screen? because i did this using a program called grab, and it only lets me screenshot and save as .tiff which is massive in size. i wanna know how to save as .jpg...... Anyone help me?

- EDIT -
I cannot upload these pictures, because i cant upload .tiff files..

can anyone help me make them an apropiate file..

It says to use .gif ?

Lets say... print screen to a .gif image file, instead of .tiff

oldmaclover

oldmaclover

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Lets Move Here.

JSn1

JSn1

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
Wow. Is it working with Acer Aspire One?

That makes me really happy!

Could somebody with an AA1 tell me their setup?

Gabo_c

Gabo_c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
wow thanks , i've an abit air pace pci-e and works using the trick with a kissmac
Thanks..... waiting for a full kext. :(

rex41e

rex41e

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can't seem to get mine to work on a samsung NC-10. when I try to install the airport update it tells me I can't install airport as the contents of the volume cannot be changed? What do I do?

Murkin

Murkin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

anyone have a suggestion as to what to do if we don't have vista or xp to boot up from? i wiped everything off the machine and only have os x on it. can't think of what else to try!

Murkin

Murkin

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

anyone have a suggestion as to what to do if we don't have vista or xp to boot up from? i wiped everything off the machine and only have os x on it. can't think of what else to try!

Well, I was able to boot from the Ubuntu 8.10 live cd and wireless worked. I didn't activate or reset the card for OS X unfortunately... Still trying.

waldisweety

waldisweety

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 5315 using Leopard 10.5.4.(iATKOS 4i.iso) and Vista Ultimate
.In Vista under Device Manager it gives me an Atheros 5007EG but on another
hard Disk runing XP it displays Atheros 5006 so i did the following
1.Without installing Airport Update 2008-004
l use kext helper to install io80211family.kext (v.2.1.2)
2. After an restart i noticed that Airport turned on but yellow (No Network)
I have tried at least 5 or 6 different versions of io80211family.kext but only version 2.1.2 loads properly and gives me
under System Profiler/Airport Card/ Airport Extreme (0x168c,0x428) and
System Profiler/ Extensions
-AirPortAtheros v.3.1.5
-IO80211Family v.2.1.2
I noticed that the networkinterface.plist under /library/preferences/systemconfiguration is en1
If i delete all the mkext files and repair io80211family.kext permissions
(chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/io80211family.kext
chown -R root:wheel /system/extensions/io80211family.kext)
after the next restart the AirPortAtheros /IO80211Family are vanished!!!
3. So I tried the >-f< trick editing f to com.apple.boot.plist
from /Library /Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
as bellow
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key> Kernel Flags </key>
<string>-f</string>
4. Although it gave me kernel panic l rebooted as -v so l reboot again as root user
5.Then without Repair disk permission or repairing io80211family.kext permissions again or anything else
6.l started kismac went to preferences --> driver and add airport extreme passive mode --> Start scan
and after l see network detected, l close it .l went to the airport icon on the top right on my desktop
and my network was listed. I clicked on it
From System preferences/Network the Airport icon is green!!!!Surfing with safari the the wireless Lan LED is
always inactive like if it doesn't work?
The only thing thats annoying is that l have to always start kismac.

Attached Files

skar19

skar19

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
waldisweety gracias me funciona

Hacktrix2006

Hacktrix2006

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

MORE PROGRESS, RESULTING IN AN ACTUAL CONNECTION! I MADE THIS POST WITH IT.

I lose the connection after a minute or two put there is proof that the card can get up, get on and move data.

I installed the kext from the beginning of this thread but that just makes the card scan, never finds a network.

On a hunch I downloaded Kismac, went to preferences and added Airport Extreme Passive Mode, entered my password when prompted and went to the scan window and clicked start scan. Within 30 seconds networks started appearing! Better yet I then went to the airport icon and my network was listed. I clicked on it, it promoted me for a password and connected to the network with WPA security.

The connection only lasts for a few minutes before the airport acts like the network disappeared. When it is active it has bursts of speed and then becomes very slow. In Vista the card is very quick from the same place in the house.

So, now it connects but now we need to make it stable.

By the way this is for sure an AR5007 and the PC is a Compaq Presario C771.

CHeck out these files they might help you as this is the drivers that Kismac loads for Atheros Cards.

There might be something in the code wise that might just help you. Goodluck!!!

Attached Files

opodeu

opodeu

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Hello,

I have updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 in order to install "Airport update 2004-2008" ...
I have followed the Kismac method... but I am stuck...
It seems I have a signal but I don't see any wifi acces point...

When I try to scan with airport menu, I lost signal on the icon on the top.

Any idea ?

Attached Files

Gabo_c

Gabo_c

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hello,

I have updated my Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.5 in order to install "Airport update 2004-2008" ...
I have followed the Kismac method... but I am stuck...
It seems I have a signal but I don't see any wifi acces point...

When I try to scan with airport menu, I lost signal on the icon on the top.

Any idea ?

most of the time mine do the same,appears to be scanning but nothing, dont ask why but believe me, don't restart turn off o computer and try it....and try it , restart for mine is for sure a kernel panic or nothing on kismac.

opodeu

opodeu

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Good news and Bad news...

Once, I have succed to open wifi. :wacko: I follow the instruction...
I have rebooted... Since, I lost wifi, I am failing to get back :unsure:

There is no reason why it have worked in first, and now nothing happen...
Any idea ?

Attached Files

opodeu

opodeu

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
bump

snapcoyote

snapcoyote

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Good news and Bad news...

Once, I have succed to open wifi. :) I follow the instruction...
I have rebooted... Since, I lost wifi, I am failing to get back :)

There is no reason why it have worked in first, and now nothing happen...
Any idea ?

Try deleting Extensions.mkext before shutting down. On next start, see if it works.

opodeu

opodeu

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Thanks for reply,

I have tried to deleting Extensions.mkext and reboot...
Great that's working again :) but when I reboot again... I lost wifi :)

Should I have delete Extensions.mkext each time to get wifi ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy