Are Mormons Christians?

djet

83 posts in this topic

This thread has turned into a fascinating read... most of it makes little sense to me but still, it's fascinating. I guess this is what happens when people feel free to comment on things they have never given much thought to.

I embrace the view that religion is the allegorical overlay of an embraced philosophy. Some of us don't want or need such an overlay and that's fine. I have little patience for ritual myself. But to categorically condemn it as illogical, uneducated, and worthless is really missing the point entirely. In moderation, religion can be both rational and intellectually stimulating. The human soul is not some orderly mathematical equation outlining the meaning and value of life itself. We are a jumbled cacophony of fact, reason, mystery and emotion. The zealots on both sides of the issue who insist on disparaging the beliefs of others are ignoring half the equation. It's like they are dismissing the ideas of others in some sort of panic to control the other side. How can you have your eyes truly open under such circumstances? Even Epicurus said, "If it feels good to pray, you might as well."

Getting back to the question, are Mormons Christian? I still believe the only ones qualified to answer that are Mormons. If you insist on defining Christians as those who share your core beliefs and excluding all others claiming to be followers of Jesus, well, fine. That's your panicked dismissal, now isn't it?

All religions have their roots in myth. It illuminates how foolish and unnecessary all religions are in modern day for educated people. All superstitions implanted in religion also have their roots in myth. For example; praying before a meal. Do yourself one of your life's biggest favors and please get off the Internet and pick up a book (yes a real book) about the subject and educate yourself. A good place to start is a book (or DVD) called The Power of Myth. What, did you just think that a caveman woke up one day and suddenly magically, started to believe in your religion? :wacko:

No actually i dont believe cavemen existed inthe way modern thery based science thinks they did

the {censored} acting part should not be. but false claims and the provoking, well, i don't know what to say but i always had the opinion that it's the other way round, never had an non beliver in front of my door telling my stuff i don't want to hear about nor claiming it in radio and television continusly.

What the hell?

Are you sure you're not confusing Christianity with Jehova Witness?

What the hell?

Are you sure you're not confusing Christianity with Jehova Witness?

they want to read the bible to me, thats a christian tale, isn't it? i never actually listend to what they had to say, i couldn't be bothered to me it's all the same nonsense