[Guide] Almost Perfect Install on Dell Vostro 1400 Laptop!

Ryu-ka

5 posts in this topic

Updated on May 22, 2009

Please do not send me PMs about this thread (unless it's important), as they will be ignored. If you have a question, ask it here!

Sound (SigmaTel 9228)

Credit goes to Gotoh, Taruga, DevilHood, Superhai, Macgirl, TBcarey, Deamobile, Jaro12345, Chun-Nan, Macdotnub, Ranova, Mercurysquad, Lenka-Penka, Puriah, Nawcom, Mcsmart, Oui,quinielascom, nobb1x, ridgeline, The Great Deceiver, Yeye, fr3ak, sanoukee, zitounec, itdoesnotwork, Tworems, and NYC

Step 1 - Download the Dell Post Install Package.

Step 2 - Run the package, and select only what you need; in my case, the SigmaTel 9228 Audio kext, and the patched audio shutdown fix.

Step 3 - Go to Disk Utility or OSx86 Tools and repair permissions, then restart.

Step 4 - Go to System Preferences, and click sound.

Step 5 - Select Built-In Speakers.

Step 6 - Now go to the sounds panel, and listen to the sounds.

Step 7 - If you can't hear anything, repeat step 2, and repair permissions. Then reboot again.

---Alternate Audio Fix---

Step 1 - Go to MacGirl's thread here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...;hl=Vostro+1400

Step 2 - Use Kext Helper (Google it) to patch the .kext, and delete AppleAzalia.kext, as it will disrupt the performance of AppleHDA.kext.

Step 3 - Reboot with -f to force .kext reloading.

--If You Lose Your Sound After Reboot, But Get Icon--

Just sleep your computer (not the display, the computer), and your sound should be back! This doesn't work if you get the cross on the sound icon when you try to turn up the volume.

Quartz Extreme/Open GL

Thanks to everyone who developed/created/contributed to the Dell Laptops package (see list above)

Warning! Installing nVidia Drivers will break Shutdown/Restart!

Step 1 - Download the Dell Laptop Post Install Package.

Step 2 - Select Graphics, and choose your card and memory.

Step 3 - Repair Permissions (see step 3 from the guide above) and restart.

Step 4 - Start with the -f command, to be safe, and if you experience a temporary black screen after the gray Apple logo, don't panic, just wait for it to go away. You should see the login window/desktop of your Hackintosh now.

10.5.6 Update

Thanks to everyone who helped put together the iPC public beta

Step 1 - Download iPC 10.5.6 Beta from somewhere, and extract it.

Step 2 - Back-up your documents, movies, etc. from your OS X partition. Put them anywhere but on that same partition, since you will be erasing it later on. Be sure to save your Extensions folder also.

Step 3 - Clear out your copies of documents, pictures, etc. (which you backed-up) until the only thing on your OS X partition is the main system (with apps, etc.).

Step 4 - Use partitioning software to shrink your old OS X partition, until there are only 2 GB free space left. Then create a new partition for 10.5.6 in the free space (iPC takes about 8.5 GB space, but 10-12+ GB is recommended. Do not erase your current OS X partition yet.

Step 5 - Go back to your old OS X partition, and launch the iPC installer. Click the Install Mac OS X icon. Instead of asking you to restart, it will launch the installer.

Step 6 - Install onto your new OS X partition, and select appropriate drivers, kexts, and bootloader be sure to select the PS/2 Keyboard driver, as you should get trackpad and keyboard support (recommended install: PS/2 Keyboard, Darwin EFI v9, a SMBIOS driver *one only*, SigmaTel 9228 audio driver, the netkas' Sleep Kernel, and ClamshellDisplay.kext). Don't select multiple packages with the same driver, as it will cause your install to fail. You will also run into trouble if your system is not sleep-capable (see "if you lose sound after reboot, but get icon").

Step 7 - After the install, reboot, and boot your new OS X partition. Remember to boot with the -f command at Darwin prompt to load the .kexts.

Step 8 - Use Disk Utility to erase your old OS X partition. You can use it as extra storage, or for file sharing. Of course, you could delete it, and try to expand your current partition(s).

**Note that if you chose drivers, and they don't appear to work, delete Extensions.mkext, and reboot with -f**

**Also note that to free up space, uninstall/delete Apple Boot Camp, as it is useless, and there is no point in emulating Windows/another PC OS on a Hackintosh (PC)**

Remember to post results, comments, advice for improvements, and feel free to ask questions. :blink:

~-{Note: If I did not give you credit in this guide, and you contributed to one of the above drivers, guides, etc. then just ask, and I'll give credit}-~

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
i have...iatkos 0ir2, iatkos 5i, kalyway 10.5.1, kalyway 10.5.2, ipc 10.5.6......but all version not success....what the version leopard for dell vostro 1400 ???

iPC 10.5.6 works best on dell vostro 1400 and you have second choice iATKOS 5i. I have tried both and installed successfully. PM me if you want guide.

• 2 months later...