HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I am a happy owner of HP Compaq 6720s and I would like some help to install OS X Lion into my laptop. First of all I need to tell you that I am a well experienced user in bot Linux and Windows operating systems, but I have no knowledge of Mac though... Here, on this post's first page, there are many information (dsdt files, ktexts, kernels etc) that I cannot understand. What are these and how can I configure my Mac after installing Lion ?

Let me tell you what I managed to do so far. I have successfully booted into Snow Leopard (using the command GraphicsEnabler=No). I have Leopard update to 1.6.7 and then I applied the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] using the Easebeast method. Since that moment, I am unable to boot. So I erased my hard drive to try a clean install.

Have you ever tried iatkos using Compaq 6720s?

What method do you suggest me to follow?

Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

Panos

I have a 6820s laptop. Using onrtzle's instructions i have a lion w/o mouse, with correct screen size but no mouse pointer. HAs anyone got any further yet?

@juanson. Do you still need dsdt testing on Lion?

Can anyone confirm that ThirdSmieles ACPI Thermal zone driver crashes on Lion ?

I have a 6820s laptop. Using onrtzle's instructions i have a lion w/o mouse, with correct screen size but no mouse pointer. HAs anyone got any further yet?

@juanson. Do you still need dsdt testing on Lion?

Can anyone confirm that ThirdSmieles ACPI Thermal zone driver crashes on Lion ?

mouse pointer can be fixed in 2 way's one is with an app(forgot the name but it has something to do with changing mouse pointer) another way is editing mouse in radeonHD(this is in 10.6.8/7)

as for Lion,the resolution is correct but the problem with mouse is that there are no screen boundaries and mouse is invisible(can be fixed with the same app like above) i'v personaly stopped there(at the same place you are) and i'm tryin to find a way to fix graphics(that is to make acceleration work)...10.6.8 normaly works with few kexts copied from 10.6.7.

mouse pointer can be fixed in 2 way's one is with an app(forgot the name but it has something to do with changing mouse pointer) another way is editing mouse in radeonHD(this is in 10.6.8/7)

as for Lion,the resolution is correct but the problem with mouse is that there are no screen boundaries and mouse is invisible(can be fixed with the same app like above) i'v personaly stopped there(at the same place you are) and i'm tryin to find a way to fix graphics(that is to make acceleration work)...10.6.8 normaly works with few kexts copied from 10.6.7.

please how inject ati rom on bootloader ??

• 2 weeks later...

ok i install lion mountain 10.8 and i install all

ATIRadeonX1000 kexts , bundle , plugin and the patched ati x1000 kext and RadeonHD.kext....... and i get LM detect ati1350 but the problem is no graphics acceleration ,look at my screen shots

post-731271-0-32696200-1330008113_thumb.pngpost-731271-0-68230900-1330008187_thumb.png

Same problem here... I get very poor results with Lion drivers. Because the official support for Intel GMA X3100, and Radeon x1600 (and old integrated cards) in "Maintenance Lion" is gone. It is NOT there any communication with the new kernel! Just proper screen resolution.

Captura de pantalla 2012-02-20 a la(s) 00.10.07.png

Hello:

I have succesfully installed a 10.7.3 Lion system on a Compaq 6720s (Intel Core2 Duo T5470 @ 1.6Ghz and GMA X3100), following your guide . Has anybody managed to make the system work in 64 bit mode?. I have read that the problem are the gma drivers but according to this: http://www.projectos...p?showtopic=763 , seems that perhaps it could be possible with some DSDT edits.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for this english)

No. It is not possible, because the GMA X3100 is only supported in 32 Bits mode. Just worked partially in 64 Bits on 10.6.2, that's it.

I could get my HP 6730b with X4500MHD to work in 64bit using Lion 10.7.3 but only in safe mode (using patched X3100 kext) .. obviously some other vital kexts can't be loaded in safe mode :)

I have a 6510b and installed 10.7.3 on it. working nicely. just need to sort the sleep issue now. will be digging through this huge thread for info on how to get it working or at least try to. hahahaha

also, i tried using a macbook 2008 smbios, but the machine dragggsssss like crazy, way too slow to do anything, if i use the 2010 macbook pro one it works nice and fast. anyone would know why? i thought this laptop was closer to a 2008 macbook hardware wise.

thx

Hi guys, I've successfully updated to 10.7.3

I have speedstep working replacing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Anyway, the update broken my battery meter. How can I solve?

No problems here with vanilla system (except X3100FB.kext from Leopard 10.5.8)... so, ALL is working fine in 10.7.3 (latest build 11D50d). Please, wait for update DSDT standard with Lion support (for 6720s and 550) ASAP.

Note: Please, I need one voluntary (with experience, mainly if understood THIS) for DSDT testing with Merom CPU. I mean is better two: one for the Compaq 6720s, and one for the HP 550, both with CPUs Merom. Then, PM me.

Anyway... DSDT v0.30 Update for 6720s and 550 HP Notebooks (Full Lion ready):

1) The Bootloader: Chameleon-2.0-RC5m-r1291.zip (Thanks to Slice). I prefer install it using Chameleon Wizard, method "Boot0md", in the boot partition. Recommended. Note: This bootloader has NOT support for iCloud.

2) The config boot file: org.chameleon.Boot.plist from /Extra.zip

3) The New DSDT and SSDT tables, also from /Extra:

DSDT Merom: dsdt_v0.30RC-NEW_Merom.aml.zip (Only for CPU Merom)

DSDT Penryn: dsdt_v0.30RC-NEW_Penryn.aml.zip (Only for CPU Penryn)

SSDT: SSDT tables for C-States.zip (C-States support for both CPU type)

Update Note to Merom CPU users:

If you have audio stuttering (or get choppy problems), this is related to missing C-States support. So, please try with the SSDT tables 5 and 6 I uploaded HERE from /Extra. Because I just needed more feedback with CPU Merom.

OPTIONAL: SSDT tables for Custom P-States & Undervolt.zip (ONLY if you want to customize P-States)

Notes:

- If you get Blue Screen, stuck at login and not GUI at all, you need to set your own Display EDID override.

See this example: juanerson_DisplayEDID_Override_NEW.zip (Please do not use it, is only for reference)

- For big screen resolution (1440x900), inside the DSDT (device GFX0, X3100 hack code) are just three (3) values to change:

AAPL01,DualLink
AAPL01,Height
AAPL01,Width

4) The SMbios, Legacy SpeedStep and Extensions:

For CPU Merom:

SMBios and Legacy SpeedStep MB32 for Merom.zip (smbios.plist from /Extra, and Legacy injector installed in /S/L/E)

For CPU Penryn:

SMBios and Legacy SpeedStep MB42 for Penryn.zip (Idem)

Notes:

- For correct Legacy SpeedStep functionality Is highly recommended revert back to vanilla files MacBook4_1.plist or MacBook3_1.plist (depend of case), by deleting or comment out the five (5) lines for CPUPLimit = 0x0:

<key>PLimitDict</key>
<dict>
<key>MacBook4,1</key> // or MacBook3,1
<integer>0</integer>
</dict>

Those modified files are in:

/System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources

Then, repair permissions & rebuilt cache, and finally restart the system.

- Please, build your own genuine-valid Mac Serial, and don't share it... read this commentary about it.

5) More Extensions to install all in /S/L/E (Replace the previous same kexts or same function kexts if necessary):

fakesmc (the Netkas one): Modified Info.plist separately for:

fakesmc.kext for MB32 Merom CPU.zip

fakesmc.kext for MB42 Penryn CPU.zip

The proper FrameBuffer:

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext_1058_vanilla_Combo.zip (to avoid the KP "GPU parser error...")

Note: Before install it, in case you have the X3100 variant ID 2A12... you need to edit the Info.plist inside.

And the rest of kexts for fan control, battery, sound, ethernet and keyboard: Lion kexts.zip

Note: About the sound .kext, please install first AppleHDADisabler (wait two minutes), then install VoodooHDA to prevent KP conflict with AppleHDA.

At the end... repair permissions with Disk Utility (Recommended).

Big thanks to BlackCH, ThirdSmile, Zprood, Slice, and maybe others. Good Luck to everyone.

• Like 6

Hi guys, I've successfully updated to 10.7.3

I have speedstep working replacing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Anyway, the update broken my battery meter. How can I solve?

Battery in Lion. I had the same issue. I used this to solve it

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=1384

install the kexts in zip file

repair permissions and rebuild cache

I have a 6510b and installed 10.7.3 on it. working nicely. just need to sort the sleep issue now. will be digging through this huge thread for info on how to get it working or at least try to. hahahaha

also, i tried using a macbook 2008 smbios, but the machine dragggsssss like crazy, way too slow to do anything, if i use the 2010 macbook pro one it works nice and fast. anyone would know why? i thought this laptop was closer to a 2008 macbook hardware wise.

thx

well, i got sleep working. don't know how i did it, but its working. sweet

Aloha !

I have been quietly following this thread for a while and have found it extremely helpful AND educational. I now have a closely related HP notebook with most everything working ... only one last hurdle. The CPU fan stops and never runs again after waking from sleep. I understand that I need ACPIThermal.kext installed and that there are some DSDT mods involved as well. The DSDT mods are where I am having an issue as my DSDT is a bit different in the TZ scope area than the ones in use here.

Here are some of my system details ...

Notebook: HP 6910p

Chipset: GM965

CPU: T7700 (merom)

GPU: Intel x3100

O/S: Mac OS X 10.6.8

I have rolled the SSDT data into the TZ area of the DSDT but can't seem to figure out how to proceed further as a couple of my critical internal data structures differ a fair bit from your example DSDT.

Perhaps someone can explain in words what exactly is being changed in the TZ scope ?

I've attached my TZ scope for reference ... (I've transferred like comments from your DSDT to make cross-referencing a bit less painful)

Any help or advice from you resident gurus would be most appreciated :)

HP6910p_TZ.txt

I'm not sure if this can be useful but I was able to make the external vga of the hp6720s fully functional, you just have to connect the vga when the pc is off, then turn it on and close the lid, the system wil load normally and once loaded you can open the lid and use the external monitor (the internal will be turned off)

I'm running snow leopard 10.6.6 and my gma reference is x3100 2a02 I'm going to do some further testing... (note that before my vga plug wasn't working, even if mirroring was turned off the screen was scrambled the "usual way") I hope this was useful