HP 6520s, 6720s, 6820s, 550 SL Install Package

BlackCH

1,448 posts in this topic

i´m running 10.6.6 with installed bootcd 0.3 and before installing, I could close the laptop without going sleep. now it goes in sleep, what I don´t want, I tried all settings in smartsleep, even removed smartsleep..

what can I do, to make it not going in sleep?

also I noticed, that express-card isn´t working.. should I reinstall the installer from the bootcd?

You can just disable sleep on OS X config pane and it'll be disabled (i recommend RIP 3 to get those settings forcefully applied).

The difference between insomniax and this is that with insomniax you'll only have to activate/deactivate sleep and this will make osx go to sleep whenever adjustments say it.

Anyways, could someone post the 10.6.6 legacy speedstep kext? Thanks.

Hi, I compared with textwrangler the vanilla Resource MacBook3_1.plist 10.6.5 and 10.6.6, both are identical, therefore no need update the SS legacy. Also, the AppleACPIThermal.kext satisfies the same dependencies (to wake) from 10.6.5, no need it update either. Just for record, I have installed in /S/L/E: FakeSMC and VoodooHDA (by Slice), and Intel82566MM.

Keeping intact my /Extra/Extensions:

ExtraExtensions_1066.png

BlackCH I tried your cd for celeron v. 02 and I installed snow succesfully:-). Can you write me what should I do next?. I have retail 10.6.3 DVD installer, but I want to upgrade to 10.6.5 or 6. Is there any installer for my Celeron with kext and all needed stuff? Something like post install package? Just click and it all works?:-). Sorry for troubles- it is my last try:-). Maybe it's time to safe some money to buy macbook:-). Thanks:-)

Maybe it's time to safe some money to buy macbook:-).

WRONG PLACE and WRONG WORDS! So, I did read all I need (enough) from this NOOB. And for sure, HACKINTOSH IS NOT FOR YOU BUDDY, SO PLEASE FORGET IT. Better you should buy the MacBook and be happy. Thats it.

@Juanerson I see that you haven't got AnyCardReader, AppleACPIEC and DeviceMergerNub on your /E/E. Guess that you've got at least the last one on /S/L/E.

Anyways, i couldn't get to work PS2 from /E/E so i've got it on /S/L/E. That's only for record, i haven't formatted this notebook since installing 10.6.0 - it's gone through all updates - and still i won't format it. But that means there are some drivers and bad configurations hanging out there (that's why i don't have speedstep - cpuplimit 0x4 -).

Well anyways, as i said, i will report tomorrow on ps2 driver as fink is STILL updating.

I shall also try that smooth brightness dsdt edit third said.

EDIT: Tested the PS2. I didn't read that the kext didn't need a ApplePS2Nub so i've deleted it, thanks. @Juanerson you should also do this, as you have it also.

Sound goes up and down by one, so far it's good. Thanks!

PD: @nikczemnik You must understand that some people here (BlackCH and juanerson) have been in the scene for some years now. If you really want to fully understand your problems (or, for example, look which kexts you need) you should start looking the posts.

Scene is not something one can enter knowing nothing and without the willigness of reading it's documentation, OSX scene doesn't differ from other scene's (to understand, for example, Xbox 360 scene, PS3 Scene etc). People on these sites are people who have become expert in some sort of hardware/software. You're getting the bootCD because of BlackCH willigness, but you have to take in mind that we're not here to repeat over and over which steps you must follow to solve your problems.

If you want a fully working mac, without any problem, you should buy a REAL Mac. Those have guarantee on everything, and if you get an erratic behaviour or something gets damaged you'll get it repaired/changed free of charge. If you're willing to continue on this you must note that there's no guarantee on it's success and you should account for all responsabilities and consequences it may take.

PD2: You should install the 10.6.6 combo update and use bootCD 0.3 kexts and patchs, plus all the patches that you can find in the first post on this topic and that aren't on the bootCD (i haven't even used the bootCd, but if you read a little you'll find that and even more).

BlackCH I tried your cd for celeron v. 02 and I installed snow succesfully:-). Can you write me what should I do next?. I have retail 10.6.3 DVD installer, but I want to upgrade to 10.6.5 or 6. Is there any installer for my Celeron with kext and all needed stuff? Something like post install package? Just click and it all works?:-). Sorry for troubles- it is my last try:-). Maybe it's time to safe some money to buy macbook:-). Thanks:-)

Now you need to read the thread, all 40 pages. Then you will know what to do

Probably ectool(http://www.coreboot.org/Ectool) can be useful to implement something, like battery control methods in Embedded Controller.

ectool is a small utility that dumps the RAM of a laptop's Embedded/Environmental Controller (EC).

It expects an EC as described in the ACPI specification. Only ACPI-compliant ECs will be detected.

To build and use ectool requires DirectIO.

And some code modifications: ectool.zip (modified code & binary)

Also I have made some cleanup and added some comments to our dsdt:dsdt_last.zip.

Is it possible to get the brightness prefs after reboot as I set them before?

Do you mean to keep brightness intensity upon reboot?

I havent found a native solution, but it might be possible through a script doing the following actions:

-Store the brightness value somewhere (in a txt file for example)

-Read the value on startup & apply the stored value

I will look into it later today

You could use this utility to set the brightness at login:

http://mattdanger.net/2008/12/adjust-mac-o...m-the-terminal/

About Fn+F7/F8 - They works, but they don`t generate keyboard events - they change brightness directly:

At offset 0xbf7c44ae (in our dsdt field C072) we have brightness level id(0-0xA),

At offset 0xbf7c5710 (field C196) we have current brightness value(0-0xFF))

At offset 0xbf7c5718 (first byte of C198) we have current brightness value in percents (0-100)

PCI configuration register for Video adapter 0xF4(Legacy Backlight Brightness - in "965 Express Chipset Family Datasheet") contains brightness value from 0 to 0xff.

But our video driver ignore this values, by setting 0xA0000000 at offset 0xE4461250(default value is 0xE0000000 - and if we set that value, changes by Fn+F7/F8 works utill driver method to change brightness called).

At this moment i can suggest two ways to get Fn+F7/F8 key working:

1. Patch driver to get default value at 0xE4461250 - but we will loose all OS X features of brightness control(as for me it is bad idea).

2. Try to write driver for monitoring changes by legacy brightness control methods and by OS X, and to sync between them, but I don't know how - probably there are some other values in memory except written above which saves current state( after I have changed those values manualy and tried to change brightness by Fn+F7/F8 this values goes from previous, not from changed by me). So to have ability to write driver for sync between this methods we need to find-out all changes in memory by each one of them.

Probably there are some other ways ... but I don't see them...

(P.S Sorry for my English ... - I am not native speaker)

Thank you again ThirdSmile, works perfect here from /Extra/Extensions ;) just using VoodooPS2Controller, I mean no need synapticsconfigload and no need VoodooPS2.prefpane... simply works with vanilla Trackpad (system preferences)... full functionality of left click (make click), scroll (vertical and horizontal), two fingers right click... beautiful! Now please, I am interested to know which modifications you did to the original one posted on Andy topic? By Andy? By Slice? You know, is very important for me to know for the credits, to update my signature. Thanks in advance.

P.S. My English is really bad, please sorry :D So, I am the worst speaker here ok :P ... but yours is fine I think :D

• Like 1

Now please, I am interested to know which modifications you did to the original one posted on Andy topic? By Andy? By Slice?

I have written about changes and posted sources in original thread.

Changes for hp are only in VoodooPS2Keyboard:

- changed keyCode generated by "Application key"(in Windows) to Command keyCode (it is more comfortably for me)

- fixed keyCode for "~" button (probably it is wrong not for all keyboards)

- fixed behavior of Volume Control buttons, this is only for our keyboards (because our keyboard generates one more scancode(as needed) for this buttnons)

Everything else was working "out of box" - thanks Andy & Slice.

Hi,

This list has been wonderfully helpful in the past when I was setting up my Celeron HP550 (Use legacy kernel & strip out speedstep kext) and all has been good in the world of Kates Hackintosh until..... I spotted a lovelly compatible 1.8GHz Core2 Duo (T5670) going cheap for £9.99 on eBay and thought why not, what could go wrong apart from it being dead or me breaking something whilst taking it apart or not being able to put it back together. So HP550 manual in hand I took my baby to pieces and swapped the CPU out and all the things I worried might go wrong didn't happen, it all went back together perfectly, no leftover parts and powered up OK, the new CPU showed up correctly in the bios. Go me!

That's the good and now for the bad/strange/unexpected. The machine boots up just fine until the GMAX3100 kext is initialized, when the screen goes from white square with black bars down the size to full screen white (just like it always has) and then to light blue and then the screen just stops (the hard disk is still clicking away so I know its booting) eventually the screen goes black after 30secs-2mins and there is a mouse cursor but all is dead, no response to anything except a long press of the power key. Bear in mind it was all working 100% before the CPU swap and no SW was changed, just power down, CPU swap, power up.

Looking at dmesg the last thing in there is:

Display: not usable

I've tried the following:

1. Boot into safe mode, I get the full screen, no black bars. I've tried the kext cache flush/rebuild, no joy same result.

2. Re-install 10.6.5 update and then the machine becomes bootable again but with the 1024x768 screen with black bars. If I then do the GMAX3100 patches and reboot then it locks up just as before.

3. Removed the legacy kernel and boot with the standard 10.6.5 mach_kernel. Same result, hangs in the GMAX3100 init with the blue screen. Re-install 10.6.5 reboots with bars, add the patches, hangs on reboot with the light blue screen.

4. Ran blackch's install program from bootcd 0.3, now hangs after loading the PCI root even in safe mode, looks like the dsdt.aml from there is NOT compatible with the HP550, could be a bios version issue, will check that tonight. Unfortunately I've not been able to get chameleon to accept my DSDT override line to pickup the old dsdt.aml file so I can boot into safe mode. So my machine is DOA at the moment until I get around that and restore the old dsdt.aml.

Fortunately I've got a full backup with clonezilla on my server so I can put the machine back to its previously working 10.6.5 state (takes about 45 mins to restore) but I've still the issue that it will not boot normal with the new CPU.

A colleague of mine has a HP550 with BIOS version F.05 but I've not been able to find the latest HP550 BIOS anywhere, I've not checked my BIOS version, left my machine at home unfortunately.

So, can anyone help:

1. Any ideas why everything would work find on a celeron but not with a Core2 Duo on the patched GMAX3100 kext???

2. Have the latest bios version exe file so I can try that.

3. Any suggestions that might help apart from sacrificing chickens and burning incense as I've tried those and they just made the keyboard sticky. 8)

Many thanks

Kate

1. Any ideas why everything would work find on a celeron but not with a Core2 Duo on the patched GMAX3100 kext???

2. Have the latest bios version exe file so I can try that.

3. Any suggestions that might help apart from sacrificing chickens and burning incense as I've tried those and they just made the keyboard sticky. 8)

Many thanks

Kate

Units shipped with celeron cpus have a 960GL chipset in most of the cases. This chipset oficially supports 533 mhz bus CPU only. The 5670 has 800 mhz FSB. I guess the chipset (the GMA is part of it) just cannot take the overclock. It happened exaclty the same to me with a T7250; I had to put back the celeron

I know there are a lot more chances to make it work if you stick a 667 mhz bus CPU:

Core 2 Duo T5250 1500 2048 667

Core 2 Duo T5450 1667 2048 667

Core 2 Duo T5550 1833 2048 667

Core 2 Duo T5750 2000 2048 667

Core 2 Duo T5850 2133 2048 667

Read this:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-c...lity-guide.html

Specially post #48

Latest Drivers and BIOSes from the Official site for all HP Compaq Notebook PCs can be found HERE.

HP 550 most recent BIOS is F.00 (23 May 2008).

Talking about DSDT... you need that BIOS version for better compatibility (nomenclature) with last DSDT v0.20. I mean for sleep, USBs, HPET, SBUS, EC, PATA, SATA, memory (OperationRegion), GMA, etc... so in short: everything called from SSDT tables (very important partners of DSDT) to optimize SpeedStep and general performance for your new C2D.

Anyway, you should try a very clean RETAIL (vanilla kernel) installation. BUT, as BlackCH said, the chipset is the Big Problem if is the GL960, and his CPU BUS limitation. Good Luck.

Latest Drivers and BIOSes from the Official site for all HP Compaq Notebook PCs can be found HERE.

HP 550 most recent BIOS is F.00 (23 May 2008).

Talking about DSDT... you need that BIOS version for better compatibility (nomenclature) with last DSDT v0.20. I mean for sleep, USBs, HPET, SBUS, EC, PATA, SATA, memory (OperationRegion), GMA, etc... so in short: everything called from SSDT tables (very important partners of DSDT) to optimize SpeedStep and general performance for your new C2D.

Anyway, you should try a very clean RETAIL (vanilla kernel) installation. BUT, as BlackCH said, the chipset is the Big Problem if is the GL960, and his CPU BUS limitation. Good Luck.

The HP support site is out of date I think, my colleague has the F.05 bios and my machine has the F.03 bios, both later than the F.00 on the website. I've found a whitelist/SLIC patched F.05 here:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/7...1460#post111460

However actually flashing it is proving beyond me, I'm using Hirems BootCD to boot a mini version of WInXP unfortunately its so mini it wont run the HP windows flashing tool and the FreeDos disk I built wont boot, obviously not my week so far!! Perseverence pays off, I did manage to reflash my BIOS in the end after about 45 minutes of messing around. I now have F.05.

Whats very weird is that after reflashing the bios, checking the settings and restarting the machine booted perfectly, so foolishly I shut it down again and rebooted and its back to its old behaviour of hanging on the GMAX3100 initialisation. Obviously F.05 is needed for the DSDT.aml to work. This is where I had a sudden thought and it gets even stranger....

Power On -> Normal boot -> Always fails on the GMAX3100 init

Power On ->Enter BIOS settings with F10, Save & Exit -> Machine boots up every time

Power On ->Enter BIOS settings with F10, Exit, no save -> Machine boots up every time

It begs the question what does the bios setup program do that a normal boot doesnt? Everything works except sleep, it goes to sleep fine, powers up but the UI is locked, mouse moves but nothing else has to be hard reset.

Thanks to you both for the advice so far.

Kate

Kate you must note that some devices do not initialize at once.

For instance, i've got a 2 TB HDD which does need a restart (booting twice) for it to start.

That behaviour is caused because almost every device out there has an internal PIC & ROM, and does initialization only once, but BIOS doens't wait enough time for it to get ready, so that it doesn't recognize it. Then it comes OS behaviour, there are some OSes that recheck all devices initialization && do it (remember plug&play?) and some that don't.

Well, most surely it isn't related to your problem. Try to boot in another OS and check it's correctly working. If it isn't ==> reflash, if it is you might have to reinstall as it's the easiest solution.

PD: When flashing an EEPROM be sure to have a good physical device beyond it. That's because, though most flashers nowadays do it, some do not charge the ROM image to memory and so they read from the device as they write it. That's specially dangerous using a cdrom.

I'd recommend doing the same as me and blackch did, just get into windows (not a livecd! windows ISN'T designed for that purpose - even winPE) and create a freeDOS usb. Flash it and cross fingers that it doesn't hang. There are many manuals out there on how to flash, which are the dangers and how to proceed.

-To me it'd appear a bad flash, or maybe you haven't RESET CMOS settings? -. Altough not strictly necessary, every manufacturer out there recommends doing it.

NOTE: If you haven't figured it, whether you modify or not BIOS settings, when you leave the configuration screen your system RESTARTS.

Kate you must note that some devices do not initialize at once.

For instance, i've got a 2 TB HDD which does need a restart (booting twice) for it to start.

Like my problem, its symptomatic of a deeper underlying issue, booting twice is a work around rather than a fix, systems are not built/designed to have to be booted twice to make them work, it means something is broken.

That behaviour is caused because almost every device out there has an internal PIC & ROM, and does initialization only once, but BIOS doens't wait enough time for it to get ready, so that it doesn't recognize it. Then it comes OS behaviour, there are some OSes that recheck all devices initialization && do it (remember plug&play?) and some that don't.

Well, most surely it isn't related to your problem. Try to boot in another OS and check it's correctly working. If it isn't ==> reflash, if it is you might have to reinstall as it's the easiest solution.

I can boot into a mini version of WinXP running off a USB stuck and that appears to work just fine.

PD: When flashing an EEPROM be sure to have a good physical device beyond it. That's because, though most flashers nowadays do it, some do not charge the ROM image to memory and so they read from the device as they write it. That's specially dangerous using a cdrom.

I'd recommend doing the same as me and blackch did, just get into windows (not a livecd! windows ISN'T designed for that purpose - even winPE) and create a freeDOS usb. Flash it and cross fingers that it doesn't hang. There are many manuals out there on how to flash, which are the dangers and how to proceed.

-To me it'd appear a bad flash, or maybe you haven't RESET CMOS settings? -. Altough not strictly necessary, every manufacturer out there recommends doing it.

NOTE: If you haven't figured it, whether you modify or not BIOS settings, when you leave the configuration screen your system RESTARTS.

I've done the flash with the patched F.05, a risky thing to do, however it did work and given the bootup issue with the GMAX3100 init hang is the same with F.03 and the newer F.05 then I don't think its a bad flash. The idea of doing a full CMOS settings reset is a good one, I didnt reset to factory default, I will try that out tonight.

Yes, you are right, the system restarts when you exit the bios settings, whats the difference between that soft restart and the power on hard restart/reset, they are probably going through the same software with the difference being that the BIOS settings app has done something that is surviving the soft reset, the question is what but its unlikely something I will be able to pinpoint or fix.

So its down to..

1. Live with having to do the soft restart via the bios settings.

2. Go back to the Celeron CPU with the downside of Slower performance, Higher operating temp.

I'll persevere with 1. for the moment. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing sleep to fail on the restart?

Thanks

Kate

Hello

im trying to install snow leopard on my HP 550 (with loaded bios F.05)

but even my first attempt to use the BlackCH new 0.3 boot cd gives the following error at boot:

"Memory allocation error! Addr=0xdeadbeef, Size=0x0"

and nothing... I cannot even start anything :thumbsup_anim:

Please help me if you can