GMA X3500 Working with QE/CI/OpenGL/Rotation

thestevo

58 posts in this topic

Before continuing, please check the following...

Chipsets not in scope of this post: 946GZ, GM965, GL960, G965, Q965, Q963, G31, G33, Q33 and Q35

Chipsets in scope of this post: G35

Working kexts for the GMA X3500 are attached and should be installed in the usual manner. If 'usual manner' didn't make sense to you, please google "kext helper b7" and use that utility to install the kexts. There is an additional requirement, Tiger AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer must be removed. Tiger versions use an ID mask and will load for all Intel IGPs. Some installation discs include Tiger 950 framebuffers for increased functionality, some do not. If it is present, it will prevent the X3100 Framebuffer from loading properly. Leopard (e.g. vanilla) AppleIntelIntegrateFramebuffers can be present without problems.

FYI...

• 10.5.5 requires additional downgrading of AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle to vanilla version 1.5.28 (download here) and OpenGL to vanilla 1.5.6.22 (download here). Thanks to Speedracer for tracking that down!
  • System Profiler lists it as a X3100. I might look into it when I have the time. If you figure out how to change it, preferably in the kext, shoot me a PM.
  • Some people get stuck at a blue screen. I'm sorry about that, I haven't yet found a solution (I don't have this chipset). However, if this happens for you, please post ALL your information to help in diagnostics. Roisoft's recent work with a GMA950 DSDT solution may help with this, as it has fixed some similar problems. It will not make it so you can use Vanilla kexts, they still must be modified (hex edited). I am looking into this, but right now focus is on the 950. I'm sure that X3100 progress will come soon, and we can then adapt that to our use.
  • Thanks to BlackCH, you can get X3500 support right off the install with XxX 10.5.6 PPF1 or newer. An installation option has been included on previous installs, but the installation package was missing a critical file. All future releases should be good!

Good luck!

theStevo

theStevoGMAX3500.zip

steveo,

Sort of works - sorry for the untechnical description, I'm not up to speed on OSX debugging yet.

1st boot: grey screen of death

2nd boot: worked for around 5 minutes before grey screen of death. FWIW I started downloading VLC and opened the downloads window in safari, if that uses anything specific.

I now have a full list of video modes available.

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipset Model: GMA X3100

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 144 MB

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2982

Revision ID: 0x0003

Displays:

Display Connector:

N19W:

Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Does the kernel drop core/backtrace somewhere I can collect for you?

Regards,

Chris.

Hmm. Well you are on 10.5.2, which is fine for the framebuffer but it means that the x3100 kext is newer than the rest of the system. However, doesn't look like your monitor is reporting correctly which is the framebuffer's responsibility. When you say, "I now have a full list of video modes available." you are referring to resolution choices, right? If you could try a few things for me, that would be great.

1. Try to play a DVD and run OpenMark. Its fine if it crashes after a while, I'd just like to know that the acceleration is truly working properly and the profiler isn't just fooled into thinking it is.

2. Install iAtkos v4i, and try the kexts on that install. If this isn't possible, you can probably download the 10.5.4 combo updater and follow netkas' instructions for update. However, if you have a fast connection iAtkos is an easy way to get things closer to the machine I got the X3000 working on. The X3100 kext in the package is a 10.5.4 kext, so... may not be best in 10.5.2

2a. Once you've obtained a 10.5.4 install by either method, post your graphics info from the profiler again.

I have a suspicion 10.5.4 will play nicer with these kexts. I could make you a 10.5.2 X3100 kext, but I haven't tested it for X3000 and wouldn't know if it can support variations like the post graphics update kexts. Besides, the 10.5.4 update has a number of improvements anyway.

Side note to Gurus: I know that the hex editing involved in this is much like the time-honored Koverg method. However, I never paid attention to it much since I didn't have an applicable card at the time. Could anybody help me in making an app or script for people to process their own kexts so as to avoid version problems? Seems like all the new framebuffers won't work, we have to stick with pre-graphics update ones, so it would only process the new X3100 kext. Simple, I know, but I figure somebody probably already has the code somewhere.

OK, so from what you state in both posts, it sounds like the G33 uses the GMA 3100 graphics controller. Yes?

Second, where can I find options regarding the G33 using the GMA 3100 controller?

Is it acceptable to test with either of you ZIP files?

I do apologize for post this here, but i can't find anyone else with with more specifics on the variations in these cards.

If you need more specifics on Bios Settings, let me know

________________________________________________________________________________

Specs

OS = iDeneb 10.5.5

Board = DG33TL micro atx

Ram = 4 GB 256 for onboard video

CPU = Core 2 Duo (don't remember the exact number or clock speed) I'll edit this later

1 300 gb Seagate HDD in AHCI operation mode

Memorex DVD RW

Bios Settings

Core Multiplexing enabled

Ram Running at 667 mhz

HDD in AHCI

HDD Delay 0

Video is set for compliance test pattern

32 bit path

HD Audio Enabled

USB 2.0 enabled

Memory Speeds are running at system defaults

Legacy OS Setting = False

CPUID Limit Value is Off

Keyboard numlock is set to manual.

Nic Card is not installed yet

Sleep State is S3

VT Disabled

xD enabled

Card Text Disabled

Night199UK - Any luck? Your results are very promising, I'm sure we can get this instability worked out. Please let me know how it is going.

Brutus01 - You have a case that some motherboards may not, having two video outputs. I know this may not be possible, but try the other video output if you can. If one works and the other doesn't, it may be a problem similar to the NVCAP values in NVInject or NVKush. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience in that area. However, Diabolik may be kind enough to help.

RandomUsr - Respectfully, I understand your problem, but I've tried to make clear that the G33 and GMA 3100 are not supported by either of my packages. Right now there is no hardware acceleration on that chipset, period. You can test these packages if you want, but I'll bet all the money in the bank they won't work. GMA 3100 is based off GMA 950 which are separate kexts. Now, I happen to have a G33 in my possession for a limited amount of time. I'm trying to get it working, but haven't yet. I have the framebuffer (res change and system profiler info) but no acceleration. Until I have GMA 3100 working for myself I will not post any test kexts. There is no point in having other people confirm that it doesn't work if I already know that. So, pray that I have inspiration and time... and I may have something for you.

Pippocal - I'm sure I know that Mini-ITX board of which you speak. I kinda like that board also, and wish it was available to us. And... I've worked with Diabolik in attempting to get these kexts to work. I will continue to aid any effort to get that chipset working, as it will become increasingly painful when all the cheap laptops have integrated graphics that won't work for us. Now, to that end and with that said, I don't think we will ever get GMA X4500 working. And I pray to God I'm wrong. Deal is this, and you can find this on wikipedia: GMA 900, 950, 3000, 3100 are one family. GMA X3000, X3100, and X3500 are another. GMA X4500HD, X4500MHD, etc. are another. The architectures are different in each of them. There are key components of the hardware that need to be addressed differently by the driver, and its more than a matter of hex edits and Dev IDs. Accordingly, Apple released one "set" of kexts for GMA 950 family and another "set" for X3100. We don't have drivers for X4500. Apple does not have a history of combining two different families in the same kext "set." Apple chose to go with a Nvidia chipset for the Macbook and Macbook Pro, the Macbook being our primary hope for an updated Intel IGP. Apple likes this chipset, its benefits, has drivers for it, and a relationship with Nvidia for its use. Most likely, if an update even occurs, the Mac Mini will use this chipset also. I can't imagine why Apple would decide the X4500 had more to offer in the Mac Mini's particular case. Therefore, Apple has chosen to use Nvidia for this generation of chipsets. Apple isn't going to update mid-generation and switch back. Future Intel IGP support will only come when it makes sense for Apple; whether that be strategically, financially, or technically. Can OS X run on X4500s with acceleration? Probably. I wouldn't doubt in their labs they tested it out when comparing against Nvidia to get a rough idea. But, there is no reason why they will ever release the driver to us.

And just to circle back, I'll help any effort for it. Last weekend Walmart had a $298 Compaq 15.4" blah blah blah with an X4500MHD. Now, I didn't know about it until after it was over. But... believe me... I'd love to be able to run OS X on an otherwise fully compatible full-size laptop for $300.

• 2 weeks later...

Well she's up and running with onboard GMAX3500 video using thestevo's Kext. with 10.5.4. Only a couple of glitches. 1. no matter how I install the 10.5.5 update, I get the blue screen but the desktop doesn't load. Even reinstalling with the provided Kext files. 2. Sometimes the system will lockup and will have to hard reboot. But this may not be related. 3. Once in a while when booting up, I will get the blue screen, but after a restart, everything is ok again.

TheStevo, do you have any updated Kext files? I would be willing to test. I have done about a dozen installs, same results every time. HDMI ->DVI and VGA works fine. I will test dual displays when I get a second screen. All options are available in syspref, it even found my LCD model type. BTW, I ran PLEX w/o problems.

Here are my install steps:

Used a retail Leopard CD with the Boot 1-2-3 method. Found Here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry866994. All I needed to do was install the Kext AFTER the 10.5.4 update. Otherwise I'll blue screen.

Thanks theStevo for making these available. :huh:

Here's the list.

Asus P5E-VM HDMI

Video: GMAX3500; Working with theStevo's Kext.

Sound: ALC883, works with available patches.

LAN: Atheros L1 PCI-E Gigabit: Works with Kext found somewhere in this posting.

RAID: Not tested, yet

++++++++++++++++

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display Connector:

CTX S762G:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Quartz Extreme: Supported

+++++++++++++++++++

Charles

P5E-VM HDMI + ideneb 1.3 10.5.5 = blue screen

Before continuing, please check the following...

Chipsets not in scope of this post: 946GZ, GM965, GL960, G965, Q965, Q963, G31, G33, Q33 and Q35

Chipsets in scope of this post: G35

Preliminary testing kexts for the GMA X3500 are attached and should be installed in the usual manner. If 'usual manner' didn't make sense to you, please google "kext helper b7" and use that utility to install the kexts. There is an additional requirement, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer must be removed. If it is present, it will prevent the X3100 Framebuffer from loading properly.

Three things I ask:

1. Please do not post responses about the GMA X3500 in the GMA X3000 topic. It started in that topic, but so as to keep the thread manageable, focused, and easily understood for new members on the forum please post here. If I make recommendations about the GMA X3500 on there it is inevitable that a new member will come along and ask why they need to worry about that for the X3000.

2. If it works for you, tell me. I don't have this chipset, so I need all the assistance I can get in helping those who it doesn't work for. If it works please post your configuration, even if numerous people have reported it working before you. That way if somebody with your configuration comes along without it working, I don't think that machine is specifically different. Please.

3. If it doesn't work, I need all the information. I need to know the hardware configuration, I need to know the OS version. If the kexts don't load on startup (which can be seen in verbose mode) perhaps it would be helpful to see the results of a manual kextload in the terminal. If it gives a dependency problem I need to know the versions of the kext that you have. If you get a kernel panic, the log information would help. Please keep in mind that these kexts are for testing right now, testing I can't do. So if you feel unsure that you can provide the necessary feedback to correct the problems, please wait until the kext is reported working by others.

Thanks, and good luck!

theStevo

P5E-VM HDMI + ideneb 1.3 10.5.5 = blue screen

Same Here. If I start normally, gray screen of death. But if I start up with extensions disabled, it sorta works... But I have no QE. I have all resolutions working, up to 1920x1200, via my Samsung 2443bw plugged on the vga port of my Asus P5E-VM HDMI. The HDMI port is plugged on a DVI converter and doesn't work with my retail DVD install.

Thanks for the effort!

Speedracer - Great! These results are very promising, enough so that I would now classify this chipset as supported. About 10.5.5, I haven't tried the X3000 on 10.5.5 yet and I imagine I could get very similar results. The first thing I would try is taking forward the rest of the 10.5.4 X3100 kexts one at a time (GA, GL, etc...) If you've replaced all the 10.5.4 kexts, then move forward the 10.5.4 opengl.framework. The good news there is that you should be able to achieve the same functionality as 10.5.4 if you use enough old components. Once you get it working, start replacing with 10.5.5 kexts one at a time so as to find only the files necessary. Once you find the list of necessary old files, be sure to post. As for the instability, you'll probably have to run the machine on the same config without the graphics kexts so as to get a baseline. Run for a couple of days, or try to stress test it. Obviously, if there is a problem without the graphics kexts you'll need to address that first. However, unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you are mostly functional in your setup.

Light_sith, bibb, and all 10.5.5 people - Being that I don't have this exact chipset, only a similar one that I can test on, my ability to support multiple configuration is somewhat limited by my time constraints. 10.5.5 did a number of graphics updates, I'd be willing to bet that something was changed with the other X3100 kexts or the opengl framework. I wouldn't doubt whether it is one of those components that is the problem. Now, as I mentioned above, it is always possible to get the same functionality if enough components are reverted. If you wish to find that list of what is necessary, that would be useful because it will be needed. However, I don't have the time to find it for everyone now. If you would like assistance with this chipset, please start with 10.5.4. When we have it confirmed to be working and stable, we can focus efforts on finding what needs to be carried forward to newer versions. I'm sorry, I wish I had the time to explore the issue but it isn't a good week for that.

A new request for those testing on 10.5.4 and do not have it working, please post ALL graphics related BIOS settings. I have a hunch of what may be wrong, and I think it lies in BIOS configurations. If you are in doubt as to whether the setting is applicable, post it.

Thestevo, thx for reply. I will go ahead and QA the 10.5.5 update with replacing kexts as I go. FYI: I do know that the machine will panic attack with a death screen about 30-40% into the 10.5.5 update. But if I boot backup in single user mode (-x -s for others), reapply the update. I get the blue screen at login again. Also the kext version # changes from 1.5.28 to 1.5.30. I post results back today, since I have time.

Thx

Speedracer - Great! These results are very promising, enough so that I would now classify this chipset as supported. About 10.5.5, I haven't tried the X3000 on 10.5.5 yet and I imagine I could get very similar results. The first thing I would try is taking forward the rest of the 10.5.4 X3100 kexts one at a time (GA, GL, etc...) If you've replaced all the 10.5.4 kexts, then move forward the 10.5.4 opengl.framework. The good news there is that you should be able to achieve the same functionality as 10.5.4 if you use enough old components. Once you get it working, start replacing with 10.5.5 kexts one at a time so as to find only the files necessary. Once you find the list of necessary old files, be sure to post. As for the instability, you'll probably have to run the machine on the same config without the graphics kexts so as to get a baseline. Run for a couple of days, or try to stress test it. Obviously, if there is a problem without the graphics kexts you'll need to address that first. However, unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you are mostly functional in your setup.

Light_sith, bibb, and all 10.5.5 people - Being that I don't have this exact chipset, only a similar one that I can test on, my ability to support multiple configuration is somewhat limited by my time constraints. 10.5.5 did a number of graphics updates, I'd be willing to bet that something was changed with the other X3100 kexts or the opengl framework. I wouldn't doubt whether it is one of those components that is the problem. Now, as I mentioned above, it is always possible to get the same functionality if enough components are reverted. If you wish to find that list of what is necessary, that would be useful because it will be needed. However, I don't have the time to find it for everyone now. If you would like assistance with this chipset, please start with 10.5.4. When we have it confirmed to be working and stable, we can focus efforts on finding what needs to be carried forward to newer versions. I'm sorry, I wish I had the time to explore the issue but it isn't a good week for that.

A new request for those testing on 10.5.4 and do not have it working, please post ALL graphics related BIOS settings. I have a hunch of what may be wrong, and I think it lies in BIOS configurations. If you are in doubt as to whether the setting is applicable, post it.

Ok, question. I notest that the device ID in the provided kext (in your post) is different from the listed in the hardware list.?

kext ID= <key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x29A28086</string>

Machine ID= Device ID: 0x2982

Just wondering

I just checked the kexts attached in the first post, both have 2982 in the info.plist. I'm not sure where you're referencing...

Thanks for the time in testing.

theStevo

Ok, looks like x3500 is working on 10.5.5. I tested this a few times with consistent results but others will need to test. Both DVI (using a HDMI -> DVI converter) and VGA work, but haven't tried just HDMI. Looks like OpenGL was the culprit here. After 10.5.5 is installed, only the OpenGL framework and driver need to be copied back as well as your kext files. The new OpenGL is ver. 1.5.7.31.0.

Here are the files and versions I used.

These two are provided from Thestevo on the first post.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

From 10.5.5

File ver 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

File ver: 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

From 10.5.4

File ver. 1.5.28: AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

File ver. 1.5.6.22.0: OpenGL.framework

Thanks for your help Thestevo!

/Chaz

No problem Speedracer, thank you for the effort to find out what the problem was. I was pretty sure it was OpenGL, as I've ran into that with another osx86 project I'm working. However, that project and the end of college for the year have taken my time lately and I didn't have the time to do any experimenting.

Anyway, not that it matters now, but I'm still sure I find 2982 in the kexts posted at the top of the thread. Download, unzip, show packages contents, view info.plist with quick look, and I see 2982. Besides, if it was 29a2 the kexts wouldn't load and you wouldn't have it working.

Let me know if you clear up the stability problems, it would be good to have a final status on this chipset. I'll post this info on the X3000 thread, as it is probably applicable to people trying to go 10.5.5 over there too.

theStevo

Thx, your welcome. Yah good point, that's what I show too. I think the problem was related to a text editor. After I restored my image, the problem is no longer showing up. Sorry about that. As for stability, looks like it was related to an ACPI???.kext file. As have been playing with these. Just brought the machine out of sleep from overnight with no problems. So, looks to be good...

/Speedracer

Hi

Sorry if I got you by surprise but I was actually looking for help on installing Hackintosh on my DG35EC with onboard X3500 graphics

I have posted a thread on the Leopard forum and if you could check it, you may understand what is going on with my machine.

Here is the link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139794

Would appreciate if you could shed some light on how to install Hackintosh on my machine. BTW, I'm a complete newbie to Hackintosh and have Kalyway 10.5.2 and Leo4all v3 - but both do not seem to get past a certain instruction that I have mentioned in the thread above (it has a screenshot as well)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Chetan

Quick update: It works through the VGA output. The display shows up as the second display and seems to work fine.

When connecting through the HDMI output but using a DVI connector, it goes blank (not blue) after boot, but logging in through vnc shows that it is detecting a second display with reasonable resolution modes.

So perhaps I will still go through the attempt to get the 5.5 kexts working. They are pretty different from the 5.4 kexts, though, and it isn't clear that just changing 0x2a028086 to 0x29828086 will solve the problem (my first attempt at that failed miserably).

I also don't quite understand why the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext prevents the GMAX3100.kext from loading, since it does not seem to match on 29828086 (only on 0x25828086 0x25928086 0x27728086 0x27A28086) but it does indeed have that effect.

===

Hi. I have an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI. I installed 5.4 from a retail DVD, booting with the EFI boot132-style loader. Only had to preload the nullpowermanagement extension and to install dsmos.kext (so actually I ripped the DVD onto a hard drive and modified the install image to contain dsmos, but anyway, it is 99.99% 5.4).

I then installed extensions from theSteveO as mentioned above. They load, and the system boots, but I get blue screen.

*however* I am able to get to the system from another mac with VNC/screen sharing and the kext is loaded. But the resolutions are funky.

I'm using HDMI through an HDMI switch to the HDMI input, that could be part of the problem.

Here are the graphics system info:

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display Connector:

Display Connector:

And the resolutions are strange, I have a 1920x1200 monitor that works fine on several different systems but from here it only shows a subset of the resolutions. Trying different resolutions works through screen sharing but does nothing to the actual display.

Finally, I noticed a few things on the modified kext:

For the AppleIntelGMAX3100 the versions match the version in 5.4 and the changes are all to the compare instructions (changing the device ID):

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>5</string>

<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>

<string>1.5.28</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>5.2.8</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<string>GraphicsDrivers</string>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>52821</string>

lfm:HD3 lfm$ diff 5.4/d theStevoGMAX3500//d

1c1

< /Volumes/HD3/5.4/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMAX3100:

---

> /Volumes/HD3/theStevoGMAX3500/AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelGMAX3100:

3c3

< md5: 5f7bb786aeb60167798e38eed991fabd

---

> md5: c216d160a5a03f1cef347a9efe0d912c

30889c30889

< +106 00017d7a 3d8680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,%eax

---

> +106 00017d7a 3d86808229 cmpl $0x29828086,%eax

31035c31035

< +53 00017ee5 3d8680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,%eax

---

> +53 00017ee5 3d86808229 cmpl $0x29828086,%eax

31077c31077

< +227 00017f93 3d8680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,%eax

---

> +227 00017f93 3d86808229 cmpl $0x29828086,%eax

38755c38755

< +291 0001e563 81bff40700008680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,0x000007f4(%edi)

---

> +291 0001e563 81bff407000086808229 cmpl $0x29828086,0x000007f4(%edi)

38792c38792

< +452 0001e604 81bff40700008680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,0x000007f4(%edi)

---

> +452 0001e604 81bff407000086808229 cmpl $0x29828086,0x000007f4(%edi)

38814c38814

< +547 0001e663 81bff40700008680022a cmpl $0x2a028086,0x000007f4(%edi)

---

> +547 0001e663 81bff407000086808229 cmpl $0x29828086,0x000007f4(%edi)

However, for the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext the versions don't match. For the modified kext they are build 4, versions 1.5.18 and 5.1.8, build 51807. For the 5.4 kext they are the same as for the 5.4 driver kext, 5/1.5.28/5.2.8/52821:

5.4:

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>5</string>

<string>1.5.28</string>

<string>5.2.8</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>52821</string>

theSteveO:

<key>BuildVersion</key>

<string>4</string>

<string>1.5.18</string>

<string>5.1.8</string>

<key>ProjectName</key>

<key>SourceVersion</key>

<string>51807</string>

So the modified FB kext is from a different base. But any information on the changes to the FB kext and the original source would be helpful.

I tried to modify the 5.5 kexts by making similar changes with no success. I also tried to modify my version of AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with no success. So I'll need to start over and make changes slowly, possibly using the remote kernel debugger, and I don't know when I'll have time to do that.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, looks like x3500 is working on 10.5.5. I tested this a few times with consistent results but others will need to test. Both DVI (using a HDMI -> DVI converter) and VGA work, but haven't tried just HDMI. Looks like OpenGL was the culprit here. After 10.5.5 is installed, only the OpenGL framework and driver need to be copied back as well as your kext files. The new OpenGL is ver. 1.5.7.31.0.

Here are the files and versions I used.

These two are provided from Thestevo on the first post.

AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

From 10.5.5

File ver 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

File ver: 1.5.30: AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

From 10.5.4

File ver. 1.5.28: AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

File ver. 1.5.6.22.0: OpenGL.framework

Thanks for your help Thestevo!

/Chaz

Thanks!

I get no HDMI output on my P5E-VM HDMI, but other than that it seems to be all good all the way up to 1920x1080. Really wish I could get HDMI though. My TV gives a lot more picture adjustments for HDMI inputs.

BTW: The files you mentioned that were from 10.5.4 are actually from 10.5.3. They were not updated in the 10.5.4 update. Just throwing it out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great work! I am up and running (with the basics for now) with a P5E-VM HDMI motherboard. I initially had the same blue screen problem as reported by some of the other users with the same board.

Successfully got around it by booting into safe mode (-x) and removing all kexts associated with the Intel graphics board (both the 950 and 3100), deleting the extensions.mkext and the Caches folder.... then loading your modified kext with Kext Helper 7b. Seems to work out like that.

Have yet to test all features of such as HDMI, and dual screen. Will post back with results.

------------

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display Connector:

EN9600:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

--------

iDeneb 10.5.5

ToH 9.4.0 Kernel (as reported by OSxTools)

Thanks Gookitron, good to hear.

My, this is a popular little board. I know that X3x00 desktop usage is rare, but I would have thought there to be a little more diversity. Oh well, all the better to refine support!

theStevo

Greetings to u all.

Works up to 80%.

Used opengl.framwork from update file and copied to Framworks.

Did I something wrong?

Rgds,

kbond

System log:

dyld[42]: update_dyld_shared_cache[42] regenerated cache for arch=i386

dyld[194]: update_dyld_shared_cache[194] current cache invalid because/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/libGLProgrammability.dylib has changed

Chess[193]: invalid code module

Jan 7 04:32:28: --- last message repeated 2 times ---

Chess[193]: invalid pixel format

Chess[193]: invalid context

Intel GMA X3100:

Displays:

Display Connector:

L22W-5:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Core Image: Software

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

i used opengl.framework from 10.5.4 and copy this to my 10.5.6 installation everything is fine

Intel GMA X3100:

Chipsatz-Modell: GMA X3100

Typ: Monitor

Bus: Integriert

VRAM (gesamt): 144 MB

Hersteller: Intel (0x8086)

Geräte-ID: 0x2982

Versions-ID: 0x0003

Monitore:

Monitoranschluss:

Monitor:

Auflösung: 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz

Farbtiefe: 32-Bit Farbe

Core Image: Hardware-unterstützt

Hauptmonitor: Ja

Synchronisierung: Aus

Eingeschaltet: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Unterstützt

Rotation: Unterstützt

post-211911-1231871519_thumb.png

I updated the first post to include download links for 10.5.4 Vanilla GLDriver.Bundle and OpenGL framework, which are both needed for 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 in addition to the original zip. So, that means, if you have 10.5.5 or .6 you need the zip file attached to the first post, and the OpenGL download, and the GLDriver.Bundle download.

Also, to those who have been deleting various GMAX3100 kexts in hopes of getting things working, allow me to spare you the suspense. All of the GMAX3100 kexts are needed. I know that there are instances where deleting a kext can be beneficial, but that only happens when a kext is loading for hardware it cannot properly support (either in part or whole). That is not the case here, all are vital and none screw other kexts up. Either it works or it doesn't. If you don't have all the GMAX3100 files there, it isn't working properly. Guaranteed. Just because the screen still pops up, your monitor is working, and you can change resolutions doesn't mean you have hardware acceleration. It only means you have a framebuffer working, which is better than nothing. Be that as it may, you don't have it fully working if you've deleted components. Please, do not unintentionally mislead others by comments stating that you do.

theStevo