The most perfect mini Hack Pro ever

Badeendje

42 posts in this topic

Got my blu-ray drive in today :)

Unfortunatly I noticed I need an adapter, yet again :(

The power connector isn't an usual sata one, but a mini one:

158314954_tp.jpg

It's not expensive but yet again I got to wait for a part... bah.

More good news. the 8600gt I found doesn't run hot.

And more bad news; the heatsink from my 2600xt won't fit, the holes where the pins go trough have a different diameter.

So I either got to find other pins and mounting plate or saw of a piece of the heatsink and the search for the 2600xt ultimate has been for nothing.... hard chose.

No updates till just before x-mass I'm afraid...

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

At first, congrats for your good work Badeendje, it's looks very cool and the case is so "Apple" :D

I have a question, i need a slimline adapter too for my G4 Quicksilver case conversion...

But in Europe i don't find a web reseler for this product, just eBay...

Can you tell me where you buy your adaptater ?

Sory for my bad English ;)

Best regards.

hmmm. This makes me think. Someone at cubeowner forums mentioned that there is a very nice mac cube case reproduction that you can buy. I wonder if it would work with this set up, or if its for cubes taken out of their original cases, so modding them is easier....

@Badeendje, It's an awesome project! Looks really great, you built an excellent little box, i really love it. After all, it ain't a mid-range box; You have powerful processor, good graphic card, better than any mac-mini. Congrats man!

Of course, when time allows it, could you please post some more pics of your fully assembled box.

• 1 month later...

Of course I will post some more pics, but first I got to say something.

It has been awhile since I last posted, and I've been extremely busy with bot work and college (exams).

Furtheremore the mainboard seems to have one major problem; the northbridge gets way to hot.

So the board is send back to Commell with my recommendations to take a look at the heatsink.

So no new pics for a while I'm afraid.

But when it worked it worked beautifully, and the benches were real close to a real mac-pro!

Right now I did a transfer installation to another motherboard and the install is still working perfectly so tha twasn't what caused it for sure.

I hope to have the board back within two weeks and hopefully it's a new revision.

Of course I will post some more pics, but first I got to say something.

It has been awhile since I last posted, and I've been extremely busy with bot work and college (exams).

Furtheremore the mainboard seems to have one major problem; the northbridge gets way to hot.

So the board is send back to Commell with my recommendations to take a look at the heatsink.

So no new pics for a while I'm afraid.

But when it worked it worked beautifully, and the benches were real close to a real mac-pro!

Right now I did a transfer installation to another motherboard and the install is still working perfectly so tha twasn't what caused it for sure.

I hope to have the board back within two weeks and hopefully it's a new revision.

• 4 months later...

Just a quick reply to let you all know I got my repaired mini-itx mobo back, yay!

Took Commell half a year to send a new one back, so shame on you commell.

Right now there are 2 problems I got to solve.

Finding another cpu heatsink/cooler: The northbridge gets real hot, over 80 degrees Celsius, so that's what caused it to die in the first place.

I got some low profile zalman cooler that should provide some coling to the chipset in theory, but got to test that still.

2nd I took the hard drive and cpu and put it on a new gigabyte mobo just to have a working hack in the meantime.

Got to buy some parts but will do that after I finished switching to my new apartment, no money to spend right now.

I hope to have snow leo running on it from the start, it should be ok hardware wise.

So expect to have new photo's and posts once I'm done with my new apartment, around mid august to end august.

So any thoughts for you guys now, should I go with a 1333 fsb core2duo or quad?

I know they get less hot so there will be less build up of warmth inside, but with grand central coming up and my cad work I might want a quad in there, hmm, hard choice to make.

I hope to have snow leo running on it from the start, it should be ok hardware wise.

So expect to have new photo's and posts once I'm done with my new apartment, around mid august to end august.

So any thoughts for you guys now, should I go with a 1333 fsb core2duo or quad?

I know they get less hot so there will be less build up of warmth inside, but with grand central coming up and my cad work I might want a quad in there, hmm, hard choice to make.

Go for the quad. They are so relatively cheap nowadays. You know you will regret it...I mean without the quad why not just get iMac/Mini?

The problem is last time it ran fairly hot inside.

I compared prices and c2d = c2q !

Even on auction sites they ask as much as the new price.

The prices are totally messed up.

I got donated some 300gb harddisk (thx for it!) so all is needed is some cpu now.

In mean time I took a look at soem coolers and some low profile scythe looks promising but might be a tight fit.

Let's hope the i7's get more populair soon, prices of current 775 cpu's should fall then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Badeendje,

I have a very similar build going on with a white Psile and a zotax 9300 itx - like you i fell in love with the look of the Psile when I saw it.

I've hit a snag that you've already overcome. My board doesn't have an IDE socket so the bleeding DVD drive adapter is currently useless to me. I live in NZ and can't find a slimline ATAPI to SATA PCB board like the one you've posted above for love or money. I was wondering if you're not using yours any more if you'd want to sell it to me?

The other option I'm considering is getting the panasonic blu ray but again I can't bleeding find one in this part of the world.

If anyone else reads this who knows where I might find such converter or blu ray dvd player in Aus or NZ please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Alex

p.s. sorry for hijacking your thread with a personal request - i'm at the hair tearing stage of build gone bad at the mo. :D

• 1 month later...

Hey mate!

I've seen this case for the first time yesterday and I got really confused here just because I had made my mind for a imac 24''. Today I've found your project and it really helps to put things in perspective. I've loved it! Specially because you cannot compare the specs of an imac with you project which should be close to a mac pro.

Having said that, and so you can help me making up my mind, if you were making this project today would you change anything and, importantly, how much did/would it cost. If it's cheaper than an imac... I think I'd go for something like this! I'm missing putting my hands on hardware and you don't get much of that with a mac.

Also is Leopard performing smoothly? Fast boot and shutdown? What about Snow Leopard compatibility?

Please keep us up to date :)

Thank you for your time

Pedro

Motherboard: Commell LV-678

LV-678-3DB.jpg

The picture almost shows it all, apart from the lack of both dvi and firewire it has it all!

It has a Q35 chipset with quadcore support, regular desktop ddr2 support, real pci-e x16 sot (!), and as bonus 6 sata 300 ports (wtf?! ;) )

Alright, this is just the perfect motherboard, not only is it as close as you can get to a full-blown desktop board, it also has a full blown bios with overclock and voltage settings!

Though the overclock option sounds tempting I'm more interested in undervolting, as I don't have it shipped in yet I can't tell how low a voltage it actually supports.

All the other boards I went through always had some concessions, this one simply has it all.

I wasn't going to use the onboard gfx anyways, and I can live without the firewire.

hi; just one question: I bought this motherboard for a project, but I have a little problem with it: every time I shout down the pc form the OS (that could be win, linux) the pc don't do that, but reboot. Have you ever found this problem? thanks