iPod Touch Gen 2 or Gen 1?

lszanto

12 posts in this topic

I am considering getting an iPod touch for Christmas, I have now been reading around and have a few questions about the 2nd Gen iPod touch.

1. I'm almost certain of this, am I to believe that there is no jailbreak method as of know? And if so what timeframe am I looking at till it is jail broken/
  2. From what I've read the advantages are better wifi and longer battery, are either of these true?
  3. There is now a volume button on the side of the iPod, is this useful?
  4. Am I better to get a 2g and just wait out the jailbreak as I am wanting to use some jail broken apps.

Any other advice about which to choose would be helpful, the 2g one is slightly more expensive but this is no issue.

I was in the same predicament you are in, personally i went with the 2g route. I figure that if a jailbreak does, and its very probable that one will, come out i will be kicking myself if i got the outdated 1g. I also have a few apps im itching to use, but i can wait. Also if the apps you speak of are just cracked apps from the app store then i would just pay for them, i dont get why people would go through all the trouble of cracking a $5 app, if you cant afford the $5 or whatever then you must not really need it then. Plus its not worth the time, i would rather work for 10 min and buy the stupid app than to waste an hour figuring out how to get it without paying for it. But anyways thats what i think. Good luck with your decision.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the 2G.

1. No jailbreak yet. From what I can tell, there's like no sign of when it'll happen.

2. I wouldn't know. I just have the one. I get like 5 hours of constant heavy use before it tells me 20% battery life left.

3. I don't know how anyone would live without those volume buttons. They're so handy.

4. Can't help you with the jailbreak, again. But from what I heard, if they do manage to jailbreak this, it'll be a hardware jailbreak, which would mean opening it up, which I don't want to do.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm so happy with my 1G :) If you want Bluetooth, volume buttons, speakers, and a faster processor then the 2G is good, but if you are planning on jail breaking it then 1G is the way to go

Second this, the 1G is better for if you plan to jailbreak (and honestly, I love jailbreaking and using all kinds of fun tweaks), plus, the 1G looks better. I don't like having the silver trim on the front like the 2G has.

• 4 weeks later...

Rather then starting a new topic I tought id continue this one...

I am in the same boat :)

I will be kicking myself if a jailbreak comes out for the 2G but I really want the jailbreak!!! I have CFW on my PSP's and a custom ROM on my Phone I love doing that and it wouldnt feel the same without doing it.. It would kind of feel boring

Sadly theres no way to use cracked apps without the jailbreak right?

• 2 weeks later...
Rather then starting a new topic I tought id continue this one...

I am in the same boat :)

I will be kicking myself if a jailbreak comes out for the 2G but I really want the jailbreak!!! I have CFW on my PSP's and a custom ROM on my Phone I love doing that and it wouldnt feel the same without doing it.. It would kind of feel boring

Sadly theres no way to use cracked apps without the jailbreak right?

That's right.

• 2 weeks later...