Darwin Boot written to wrong partition...?

1 post in this topic

Hi everyone :-

Ill try and give the most detail I can.

Already having Vista, I tried to install iATKOS v1.0i. The guide I was following told me to use the Darwin Boot utility in the installer to write this to the partition i was using. When i entered the partition I was using, I kept getting error messages such as "Device does not exist" or "Could not write to destination" or something along these lines (can't remember exactly). I tried entering a couple of other partition id's which I just use for storage and these returned the same result. Assuming that none of them would work, (stupidly) I tried entering hd0, 1 (containing vista) - this worked unlike the others and I think has overwritten or corrupted the Vista bootloader on this partition. The iatkos installation continued without problem.

As I couldn't boot anything at all afterwards, I have had to wipe the OSX partition and install Ubuntu, so that I can at least boot up something and hopefully solve the problem from there. I have added Vista to the Grub bootloader of ubuntu in order to hopefully boot up vista and repair the mbr. However when it tries to boot it says "HFS+ Partition Error" or "HFS+ Filesystem Error". Obviously this is a message coming from Darwin which was wrongly installed on this partition and has overwritten the windows bootloader. How do I get rid of Darwin and put the proper vista one back FROM ubuntu or the Vista DVD?

Thanks a lot