Possible alternative for the Intel Pro Wireless 3945 a/b/g?

djtrix

76 posts in this topic

could you please copy/paste the en1 params in the networkinterface.plist for reference. thanks.

Zak

<key>BSD Name</key>

<string>en1</string>

<key>IOBuiltin</key>

<true/>

<key>IOInterfaceType</key>

<integer>6</integer>

<key>IOInterfaceUnit</key>

<integer>1</integer>

<key>IOLocation</key>

<string></string>

<key>IOMACAddress</key>

<data>

ABH1pfIM

</data>

<key>IOPathMatch</key>

<string>IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/P0P3@1C,2/IOPCI2PCIBridge/ethernet@0/AirPort_Athr5424/AtherosInterface</string>

Hi guys,

I bought an atheros card based on the same chipset manufactured by LENOVO for IBM.

I cannot get this card to work on my Dell inspiron e1405 which uses the mini pci-express format.

I have tried different drivers (LENOVO, Gigabyte, Fujitsu, Toshiba) but still the card doesn't work for me.

I get the following error after installing the drivers

Error Code 10

Device cannot start

Can somebody please provide me with the drivers used by the card PCDglobal uses, I am hoping that maybe those drivers work since they are not OEM specific.

Can someone please help me

TIA!

Hi guys,

I bought an atheros card based on the same chipset manufactured by LENOVO for IBM.

I cannot get this card to work on my Dell inspiron e1405 which uses the mini pci-express format.

I have tried different drivers (LENOVO, Gigabyte, Fujitsu, Toshiba) but still the card doesn't work for me.

I get the following error after installing the drivers

Error Code 10

Device cannot start

Can somebody please provide me with the drivers used by the card PCDglobal uses, I am hoping that maybe those drivers work since they are not OEM specific.

Can someone please help me

TIA!

check your PMs. also, you've probably already checked this, but make sure the wireless card is turned on (some laptops have a button that turns it on, or maybe you can turn it on in your BIOS)

hello there just A GREAT DEAL for laptop users!

if you don't have a dell computer just buy a TrueMobile 1390 wireless ($26+shipping) miniPCIe on Dell website and i will exchange it with my (expensive but great) ^_^ ) Atheros PCD a/b/g miniPCIe card ($65 + shipping).

PM me if you're interested

zak

• 2 weeks later...
i installed the atheros miniPCI-express card in my MS-1057 and it sort of works... here was my experience:

10.4.6 has a bad AirPortAtheros5424.kext driver. I get a "incompatible superclass: IO80211Family" error when I try to load the driver. When I copied over the entire IO80211Family.kext package from 10.4.5...

just noticed the same thing with 10.4.6. I get:

kextload: patching C++ code in module /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/Contents/MacOS/AirPortAtheros5424
16AirPort_Athr5424 is not compatible with its superclass, 17IO80211Controller superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros5424.kext/
kextload: clearing all version/dependency relationships among kernel extensions

where could I get working IO80211Family & AirPortAtheros5424 kexts ?

dont have 10.4.5 or any other version so I cannot do cross tests...

Considering the problem some people have had with the Atheros, are there other mini-PCI cards people have had success installing?

Edit: Would something like this work: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=9739361469

This thread is about mini-PCI EXPRESS cards, which are different from mini-PCI cards (the mini-PCI express cards are about half the size).

Having said that, the mini-PCI card you linked to should work fine since it uses the atheros chipset. Just make sure you copy over the IO80211Family.kext file with the version I linked to above (and fix disk permissions using the Disk Utility tool)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen around somewhere that the Dell 1390 works without any configuration. It is mini pci express and a broadcom chipset. I ordered it today for $18 (including shipping) and it should be in within the next week. I will post the results using Jas 10.4.6 as soon as I can.

Dell 1390 is 100% compatible. (vendor 14e4, dev 4311, subsys 00071028)

I replaced my 3945 with the 1390, JaS 10.4.7 install recognized as airport. Been running heavy usenet and torrents without any hiccups.

I bought my 1390 on ebay for $15 shipped, hard to go wrong. I think the seller still has half a dozen or so up for the same price.

I have another HP branded Broadcom pci-e card showing up next week that I'll test and post results on that when it comes in.

The 1390 is rock solid in OS X, I'd assume it performs just as well in Windows. I've only tested mine on mac os.

I also picked up an HP issued Broadcom pci-e card for my centrino dv2000 (some HP laptops bios-lock non HP wireless cards). My HP card was $20 shipped, and also fully OS-X compatible for us HP owners who may have a bios lock on our wireless. No modifications needed with JaS 10.4.7 install.

My HP card uses the BCM 4311 chipset, HP part # 407159-001 (BCM94311MCG). I don't have the subsys ID handy but if anyone really needs it, PM me and I'll look it up.

...now, what to do with the stack of Intel 2200 and 3945 cards left over from all this?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my hands on an AR5006 mini pci express and my notebook is able to boot, but OS X doesn't appear to fully recognize it. What might the problem be? I've used kext for IO80211.. and NetworkingFamily from 10.4.5 and 10.4.7 and I get an error like this on boot: System Extension Error. Extension IO80211/plugin/Atheros.. improperly installed. Please reinstall or get update from product manufacturer.

Has anyone else had this problem and how might I solve this? Maybe I installed the wrong kext or did it improperly?

Thanks,

MrFuzzemz

ASUS Z96

EDIT: Here is exactly what the error says: System extension cannot be used.

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirPortAtheros5424.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

I guess anyone that plans on buying the 1390 should be aware that it's only been confirmed with Dell systems. My ASUS wouldn't boot up and Dis's HP wouldn't. Unless you know how to hack the BIOS of your system, I wouldn't risk it.

Also. Does anyone have any ideas for me and my AR5006EX? Could it be that upgrading the 10.4.7 kills the compatibilty?

Has anyone tested out this card?

ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini-PCI Express Adapter - model # 40Y7026

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...686018425101115

Same as the Atheros WLL3140PCIX

http://www.pcdglobal.com/wireless.php#mini-pciModules

Atheros Chipset AR5006EG (AR2423)

More info at - http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_11a...Express_Adapter

http://www.nextag.com/11A-B-G-WIRELESS-83208627/prices-html

Canadians can buy for $59 at

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...;catalogId=-124

Here is Atheros based wi-fi by SparkLan

http://www.sparklan.com/product_details.php?prod_id=131

Maybe go for the card in the MacBook Pro 15" Airport Card

http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/produc...t=43&page=1

The 1390 is rock solid in OS X, I'd assume it performs just as well in Windows. I've only tested mine on mac os.

I also picked up an HP issued Broadcom pci-e card for my centrino dv2000 (some HP laptops bios-lock non HP wireless cards). My HP card was $20 shipped, and also fully OS-X compatible for us HP owners who may have a bios lock on our wireless. No modifications needed with JaS 10.4.7 install.

My HP card uses the BCM 4311 chipset, HP part # 407159-001 (BCM94311MCG). I don't have the subsys ID handy but if anyone really needs it, PM me and I'll look it up.

...now, what to do with the stack of Intel 2200 and 3945 cards left over from all this?

Where did you find the HP/Broadcom card for $20? I WANT ONE!!!