Creative Open-Sources Their X-Fi Driver

newbmac

48 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
By the way now my Optical is not working but analog output works.

Does 5.1 analog output work?

I think it's just glitchyness with the Kext. Often I'll boot into OS X and have to reboot because I wont have analog sound or nothing will be detected at all, but after I restart everything will be working well.

I'm just happy to have my X-Fi working at all, but if anyone has any ideas to resolve this, or get the mic jack working, I'd be glad to try them out. The more stuff we can get working on the X-Fi the better, since it would open up Hackintoshers to what is probably the most common card on the market.

EDIT: Ok, I found out what makes the difference for me at least. Restarting the computer I'll get sound next boot, but if I start up from a completely powered down state it wont see the X-Fi for some reason. In fact, nothing comes up in the system logs about the VoodooHDA Kext from a cold boot at all. The same thing happens if I tell it to restart, but cut the power right after it restarts to simulate a shut down, so I'm somewhat inclined to believe this may be hardware specfic for me.

enb14: If you want, try booting a few times from an off state and then try restarting a few times and see if that makes any consistant difference in what you get.

I disabled my onboard ALC888 and install this driver, but nothing happened.

The VoodooHDA can't find my X-fi Xtreme Audio :D

Is it PCI-E or PCI?

Also, I found out what was causing my X-Fi to only show up on reboot. For some reason, my computer doesn't assign an IRQ to one of the PCI-E bridges on cold boot, but does on a warm boot (restart).

I think it's just glitchyness with the Kext. Often I'll boot into OS X and have to reboot because I wont have analog sound or nothing will be detected at all, but after I restart everything will be working well.

I'm just happy to have my X-Fi working at all, but if anyone has any ideas to resolve this, or get the mic jack working, I'd be glad to try them out. The more stuff we can get working on the X-Fi the better, since it would open up Hackintoshers to what is probably the most common card on the market.

EDIT: Ok, I found out what makes the difference for me at least. Restarting the computer I'll get sound next boot, but if I start up from a completely powered down state it wont see the X-Fi for some reason. In fact, nothing comes up in the system logs about the VoodooHDA Kext from a cold boot at all. The same thing happens if I tell it to restart, but cut the power right after it restarts to simulate a shut down, so I'm somewhat inclined to believe this may be hardware specfic for me.

enb14: If you want, try booting a few times from an off state and then try restarting a few times and see if that makes any consistant difference in what you get.

I did that the voodohda driver seems to works some times and other times doesn't

I only got 2 speakers with analog output

fortunatelly for my I bought an maya 44e PCIe (same as my X-Fi titanium fatal1ty)

so now no more needing for AppleHDA for now, maybe with snow leopard.

• 1 month later...

I think that PCI-E only works, not PCI. I have a PCI Xtreme Gamer that doesn't work either. With VoodooHDA all I get in the sound panel is "digital out" that doesn't actually work. Even if I could get 2 speaker analog working (I only have a 2.1 setup) then I'd be over the moon. Anyone have any ideas?

I think that PCI-E only works, not PCI. I have a PCI Xtreme Gamer that doesn't work either. With VoodooHDA all I get in the sound panel is "digital out" that doesn't actually work. Even if I could get 2 speaker analog working (I only have a 2.1 setup) then I'd be over the moon. Anyone have any ideas?

I have the same problem as you with a PCI X-Fi XtremeMusic card.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have PCI X-Fi Extreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional and paid 120€ for that thing, it must be possible to get a driver for these things if we have the source (even if it's not the OS X source). C'mon, we need drivers for these things! Onboard sucks :/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Xtreme Gamer here, adding my support to this topic

I have my X-fi worked as described in this thread , both input and out put

That's really interesting. I've only been at the hackintosh thing for 3 days and it looks like my x-fi Extreme Gamer card is going to be the final hurdle.

I really like this card, for years I didn't buy a creative after experiencing the SBlive value and seeing their drivers and support were abysmal for the last few years. Then I got Win 7 and saw that my local store had Refurbished Gamer cards for $40.

Was completely blown away. Latest drivers are great and much better than the internal ALC8xxx on my Mobo.

Just hope someone with the skills will give these cards some love :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

mmm, looks pretty promising. I've got an x-fi extreme gamer as well and I'd love to be able to have some type of analogue output for it.

I'd be keen to have a go at writing some support for it, but I've never done any of that type of thing before.

• 5 months later...

How do you get this card working with the VoodooHDA kext that was mentioned? I downloaded it and added it to my system but I still have nothing. Is there anything I need to add to my com.apple.boot.plist? I don't need anything fancy like surround sound or input or anything.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the USB version, and it works. I believe I'm using AppleHDA, but it's not in my /Extra/Extensions.

AppleUSBAudio does load for it. It's recognized in System Preferences -> Sound. I can select it for output.

com.apple.driver.AppleHDA (1.6.8a3) <76 75 67 5 4 3 1>

com.apple.driver.AppleUSBAudio (2.6.8fc1) <75 40 5 4 3>