8800 GT to Quadro FX 3700

aqua-mac

127 posts in this topic

Akshunhiro,

You could down-clock it a bit, maybe my card was a particularly good one as it had no problems with those clocks, there is a fair degree of difference in the clock speeds of cards available on GT's.

Everframe,

Have a look here for instructions, they are at the bottom of the page.

• 2 weeks later...

I am intrested to try flashing to Quadro, but I dont have any GF card. Which one should I buy. Can those 9800GT and GTS250 be flashed? If not, I will buy used 8800GT. Is there anything I should give special attention when selecting 8800GT card to buy? Like GPU stepping, manufacturing process, card manufacturer (avoid XFX?)... I think there is 90nm and 65nm 8800GT. Which is more flash able? I would like 65nm, but is there problems with it?

I got disappointed in my HD4670, and now want cheap Quadro FX3700 :help:

Go for a 8800 GT, MY BIOS WILL WORK ON THAT CARD ONLY. It will want to be similar to the original 8800 GT otherwise you will brick the card. Every time a manufacturer changes the size of a chip, the bios changes too so they are not compatible with my bios. You can get a 1 gig memory or 512 mb card as I did bioses for both. Check out the bioses as they tell you exactly the cards I used. I would suggest you do the same.

Go for a 8800 GT, MY BIOS WILL WORK ON THAT CARD ONLY. It will want to be similar to the original 8800 GT otherwise you will brick the card. Every time a manufacturer changes the size of a chip, the bios changes too so they are not compatible with my bios. You can get a 1 gig memory or 512 mb card as I did bioses for both. Check out the bioses as they tell you exactly the cards I used. I would suggest you do the same.

Aqua-mac

No luck with FX 3400 Quadro QE/CI so I desided to go for 8800GT(Quadro 3700). I can't find unfortunately cards you used. We have Asus,Gigabyte,MSI,Leadteck,Palit etc 8800gt 512mb or 1gb, Zotac only 512mb no Nvidia . What do you think would be closest crads to your specs from those main brands? What is manufacture process of your cards 65nm or 90nm? How are they perform including BFG 8800GTX after 10.5.7 update? Thanks

I think the safest method is using Nibitor to modify your own card bios & change Idenification strings (Device ID) from 0611 (8800GT) to 061A (FX3700). Don't mess with the rest.

I think is a better way because you don't have to flash other card bios to your card just your own (working bios) with a little modification with Device ID string.

^I don't think that will do the trick. Is not same as flashing to FX3700. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I ordered Gainward BLISS 8800GT 512MB as that is only one I can find in stock. It will ship in Thursday... I hope it will work with 10.5.7 and with upcoming Snow Leopard, after moding to Quadro FX3700. What driver should I use after flashing to FX3700?

Aqua-mac

Please tell me, will bricking the card mean that I can trow it to dumpster, or I can flash again but blind (with no picture). And I also want to know how it works with 10.5.7 and what kext to use.

I think it is the same as what aqua-mac did. You can modify nvidia 8800GT bios with nibitor and alter device id to FX3700 and probably vendor id as well. Then flash the modded bios to your card.

It is that simple. The newly flashed card can also be used in windows and can using Quadro drivers.

I think it is the same as what aqua-mac did. You can modify nvidia 8800GT bios with nibitor and alter device id to FX3700 and probably vendor id as well. Then flash the modded bios to your card.

It is that simple. The newly flashed card can also be used in windows and can using Quadro drivers.

No he explains in the first post.

This is a bit trickier than normal as just changing the softstraps and device id resulted in the card being displayed as a device id of 0619 instead of the 061A that I was looking for (Quadro FX 3700). Well after much messing around, I managed to get both of them up and running showing up correctly in system profiler with the correct device id & memory.

Zotac ZT-88TES3P-FSP 512mb works with Aquamac Nvidia 3700 Quadro bios. Card getting ~+200 points in Open Gl extensions viewer, in Open mark same score. Any way it is a Quadro FX 3700 now, seems like Quadro drivers handling

bit better and card works on Win XP as well. I reflashed bios with HP utility USB boot disk as floppy didn't work well for me(stuck on "confirm override "y" point"). Thanks a lot AQUAMAC, going to send some donation ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Firstly, thanks for all the great help in this thread.

I've managed to get my 8800gt running as an fx3700 without too much problem. (real view works !).

I had to alter the fan settings in your bios to match those of my original rom - the fx bios had the fan speed set very low and the temps that it used to govern its speed up were very high.

The problem I now have is the memory speed. I've got the shader@1500 and the core@600 (both stock), but the comp locks solid if I set the memory higher than 510 (from 900 stock)......any ideas why?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi aquamac,

I've tried flashing my "not the best money can buy" local brand 8800GT 512mb successfuly (also done the clock adjustments to match the original settings). It worked but with some artifacts even in BIOS setup screen.

I didn't get the chance to do any kind of benchmarking after I flashed the card, but one thing I noticed is that this mod will give a much better display quality in Maya and 3D Studio Max (those artifacts occasionaly dissapear in Windows/Mac/Maya if the screen got refreshed by some apps) and also slight performance improvement.

Is there any solutions? Thx...

My box: Intel Core2Quad 9450 @2,66 Ghz with 4 GB DDR2 PC-8500 Corsair Dominator

Intel DP35DP Motherboard

This is my original rom file (just change the txt extension to rom).

DA8800GT.txt

• 3 weeks later...

s2n117,

Yes that looks like the original type of 8800 GT.

Georgio,

As I don't have a 8800 GTS it is unlikely to happen from me.

Booim,

The artifacts are no doubt caused by a slight mismatch between your card and my rom that is from point of view. I suspect it is a memory register mismatch. I will take a look.

Booim, I took a look at your rom, you could try this:

http://rapidshare.com/files/262751056/booim3700.rom.zip

Hey guys!

nice to see some many people flashing cards here!!

I have a very nice fully updated os x setup ...and now i think i want to flash my card to get max performance in maya or other cs4 apps..if that works!!

i read the posts and have not found one person with absolutely no problems.. i own a XFX Geforce 8800GT 512 DDR alpha dog edition and its got the zalman cooler on top of it..

can anyone please tell me how i go about flashing this card to a FX3700...because that would be so awesome!!

anyone confirm it works on the card i have?

Thanks again!!

Keep hacking, keep flashing!

bladesreloaded,

Instructions on flashing cards is here at the bottom of the page:

http://www.s155158671.websitehome.co.uk/nv...512cardrom.html

cMn,

I have had a brief look at this but at the moment I would say no. To successfully flash a card, the first 3 numbers of the device id must be identical as in the GeForce 8800 GT (0611) and Quadro FX 3700 (061a) only the last digit is different. The GTX 280 and GTX 285 with device id's of 05e1 and 05e3 cannot be converted to the Quadro FX 5800 (05fd). There must be some hardware difference on the board - possibly a series of resistors that define the id. This is pure speculation as I have never seen a real 200 series Quadro.

512-P3-N802-A1

e-GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked

Part Number 512-P3-N802-A1

Core Clock Speed 650MHz

Processing Cores 112

Memory Clock Speed 1900MHz

Memory Bandwidth 60.8GB/sec

Shader Clock Speed 1620MHz

Bus PCI-E 2.0

Interface DVI-I, DVI-I, HDTV-7

Product Warranty Limited Lifetime warranty upon registration

512-P3-N802-A1_MD_1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

aqua-mac, thanks for all the help and documentation on this.

i've flashed my MSI 9800GT OC to a 3700, and after installing the GFX string in Leopard, everything seems to be working swimmingly. I didn't run any benches, but everything seemed to be working properly. So i rebooted my system and let it boot in to windows (XP 64-bit) so i could grab the quadro drivers. got all those installed, and as soon as i got the drivers and tried to up the resolution on my display, I lost signal over DVI. I tried a lot of different things, but when i swapped out for a VGA cable (plugged in to the same DVI port through an adapter) i got picture back. So i can only get picture in windows over VGA with the card flashed as a quadro.

Just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered this problem or if anyone had any ideas. I'm amazed that it seems to work flawlessly on my hackintosh partition, but it's all screwy in windows. I'm starting to think it might just be bad XP x64 drivers, but i don't really feel like installing a new OS to test that theory. Any ides would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Aqua-mac, I am jealous of your Macpro4,1. That looks amazing!

I stumbled across your post because I was searching to see if my Zotac 1gb 8800gt is the reason why my hackpro won't sleep. I am currently using SL with Cham 2RC3 but I can never get it to sleep, even with boot.plist strings. Supposedly everyone and there dog is able to get Gigabyte boards to sleep (some with Sleepenabler.kext) but not me. Did you ever experience anything like this before you flashed the card?