• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

everFrame

everFrame

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey aqua-mac, Great job you've done here. For a noob like me though, is there any chance of writing up a brief step by step? I have a xfx 8800 gt 512 alphadog ed. that i'd love to give this a whirl on.

all the best,

Akshunhiro

Akshunhiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi everFrame, I have the same card as you but unfortunately flashing my card with this BIOS did not work for me.

I went to flash my card a while ago when Quicktime had the mouse lag problem but ended up flashing back to stock as I had alot of artifacts.

I don't know what it is about the XFX but it seems I'll have to put up with it until something more compatible comes along. Of course, the expensive option would be to go to the Apple store and buy a Mac Pro PCIe card but I think I'll wait.

My card works pretty damn good with the stock BIOS and EFI string but sometimes the screensaver won't activate and once the display sleeps it comes on randomly on it's own (varies from restart to restart).

I also don't feel it's performing as well as it should be especially in WoW. I was running Naxxramas last night and I was dropping to as low as 20 FPS and I'm not even on Ultra settings.

I thought this was going to be a good fix but didn't work for me Aqua-Mac, lol I also shat my pants when my display didn't come back on after restart but came on once I switch to the other DVI port which was strange as it's normally the port closest to the motherboard that's primary.

If you have any luck getting this to work on my XFX carD aqua-mac then I'll definitely try again!

Just to confirm, I have the XFX8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog (G92).

Thanks.

DukeRaoul

DukeRaoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:Power Mac G5 reincarnated as C2D: <br /><br />GA-EP43-UD3l<br />Pentium...
how does flashing it to a different model (quadro vs regular) change the ability of the card?
I have heard about disabled pipelines and all that from back in the old days when I was flashing Radeon 9800's to work on the Mac... anything like that?
Or does the Quadro bios just overclock the 8800GT? Or is it just better drivers?
I am curious but I doubt it will be any benefit to me having an 8800GS 384MB.

Akshunhiro

Akshunhiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
It's not so much about flashing it to a different model, it's about applying the Hardware and Device ID's so OS X will detect it and support it better.

Akshunhiro

Akshunhiro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Aqua-Mac!

I realised why I was getting artifacts with the FX3700 BIOS, after comparing it with the stock XFX8800GT BIOS, I noticed it's clocked a bit higher.

I altered your BIOS with NiBiTor but not going to flash at the moment as I personally can't see any real benefit if it's not natively supported. I don't really want to use EFI strings as I'll probably still have the same problems I am now.

Hopefully that will change with 10.5.7

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Akshunhiro,

You could down-clock it a bit, maybe my card was a particularly good one as it had no problems with those clocks, there is a fair degree of difference in the clock speeds of cards available on GT's.

Everframe,

Have a look here for instructions, they are at the bottom of the page.

miki88

miki88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am intrested to try flashing to Quadro, but I dont have any GF card. Which one should I buy. Can those 9800GT and GTS250 be flashed? If not, I will buy used 8800GT. Is there anything I should give special attention when selecting 8800GT card to buy? Like GPU stepping, manufacturing process, card manufacturer (avoid XFX?)... I think there is 90nm and 65nm 8800GT. Which is more flash able? I would like 65nm, but is there problems with it?

I got disappointed in my HD4670, and now want cheap Quadro FX3700 :help:

aqua-mac

aqua-mac

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
Go for a 8800 GT, MY BIOS WILL WORK ON THAT CARD ONLY. It will want to be similar to the original 8800 GT otherwise you will brick the card. Every time a manufacturer changes the size of a chip, the bios changes too so they are not compatible with my bios. You can get a 1 gig memory or 512 mb card as I did bioses for both. Check out the bioses as they tell you exactly the cards I used. I would suggest you do the same.

miki88

miki88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
How about Gainward BLISS 8800GT 512MB. I seems that 8800GT is not supported in 10.5.7 ^_^

It is not on hardware compatibility lists???

Freosan

Freosan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Go for a 8800 GT, MY BIOS WILL WORK ON THAT CARD ONLY. It will want to be similar to the original 8800 GT otherwise you will brick the card. Every time a manufacturer changes the size of a chip, the bios changes too so they are not compatible with my bios. You can get a 1 gig memory or 512 mb card as I did bioses for both. Check out the bioses as they tell you exactly the cards I used. I would suggest you do the same.

Aqua-mac

No luck with FX 3400 Quadro QE/CI so I desided to go for 8800GT(Quadro 3700). I can't find unfortunately cards you used. We have Asus,Gigabyte,MSI,Leadteck,Palit etc 8800gt 512mb or 1gb, Zotac only 512mb no Nvidia . What do you think would be closest crads to your specs from those main brands? What is manufacture process of your cards 65nm or 90nm? How are they perform including BFG 8800GTX after 10.5.7 update? Thanks

OldPoem

OldPoem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think the safest method is using Nibitor to modify your own card bios & change Idenification strings (Device ID) from 0611 (8800GT) to 061A (FX3700). Don't mess with the rest.

I think is a better way because you don't have to flash other card bios to your card just your own (working bios) with a little modification with Device ID string.

miki88

miki88

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
^I don't think that will do the trick. Is not same as flashing to FX3700. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I ordered Gainward BLISS 8800GT 512MB as that is only one I can find in stock. It will ship in Thursday... I hope it will work with 10.5.7 and with upcoming Snow Leopard, after moding to Quadro FX3700. What driver should I use after flashing to FX3700?

Aqua-mac

Please tell me, will bricking the card mean that I can trow it to dumpster, or I can flash again but blind (with no picture). And I also want to know how it works with 10.5.7 and what kext to use.

OldPoem

OldPoem

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I think it is the same as what aqua-mac did. You can modify nvidia 8800GT bios with nibitor and alter device id to FX3700 and probably vendor id as well. Then flash the modded bios to your card.

It is that simple. The newly flashed card can also be used in windows and can using Quadro drivers.

MacUser2525

MacUser2525

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

I think it is the same as what aqua-mac did. You can modify nvidia 8800GT bios with nibitor and alter device id to FX3700 and probably vendor id as well. Then flash the modded bios to your card.

It is that simple. The newly flashed card can also be used in windows and can using Quadro drivers.

No he explains in the first post.

This is a bit trickier than normal as just changing the softstraps and device id resulted in the card being displayed as a device id of 0619 instead of the 061A that I was looking for (Quadro FX 3700). Well after much messing around, I managed to get both of them up and running showing up correctly in system profiler with the correct device id & memory.

Freosan

Freosan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Want try to reflash Zotac ZT-88TES3P-FSP 512mb with Aquamac Nvidia 8800gt to Quadro 3700 bios. What do you think about chanses?

Freosan

Freosan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Zotac ZT-88TES3P-FSP 512mb works with Aquamac Nvidia 3700 Quadro bios. Card getting ~+200 points in Open Gl extensions viewer, in Open mark same score. Any way it is a Quadro FX 3700 now, seems like Quadro drivers handling
bit better and card works on Win XP as well. I reflashed bios with HP utility USB boot disk as floppy didn't work well for me(stuck on "confirm override "y" point"). Thanks a lot AQUAMAC, going to send some donation ;)

lilos

lilos

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Ok more score is becouse the card is cloked more , try to test real quadro test.

griff701

griff701

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Firstly, thanks for all the great help in this thread.

I've managed to get my 8800gt running as an fx3700 without too much problem. (real view works !).

I had to alter the fan settings in your bios to match those of my original rom - the fx bios had the fan speed set very low and the temps that it used to govern its speed up were very high.

The problem I now have is the memory speed. I've got the shader@1500 and the core@600 (both stock), but the comp locks solid if I set the memory higher than 510 (from 900 stock)......any ideas why?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Booim

Booim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Hi aquamac,

I've tried flashing my "not the best money can buy" local brand 8800GT 512mb successfuly (also done the clock adjustments to match the original settings). It worked but with some artifacts even in BIOS setup screen.

I didn't get the chance to do any kind of benchmarking after I flashed the card, but one thing I noticed is that this mod will give a much better display quality in Maya and 3D Studio Max (those artifacts occasionaly dissapear in Windows/Mac/Maya if the screen got refreshed by some apps) and also slight performance improvement.

Is there any solutions? Thx...

My box: Intel Core2Quad 9450 @2,66 Ghz with 4 GB DDR2 PC-8500 Corsair Dominator
Intel DP35DP Motherboard

This is my original rom file (just change the txt extension to rom).

Attached Files

Giorgio_multi

Giorgio_multi

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 9,514 posts
  • Interests:Elettronica in genere, informatica e Sistemi Operativi in particolare. Cani da slitta e Sleddog....
Hi aqua-mac.

It's possible to flash nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB?

Thanks in advance, Giorgio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy