Can you see the fear in Microsoft's eyes?

danielmramos

49 posts in this topic

Seems like your dad is a pretty smart guy.

Sometimes the apple does roll off the hill and into the ditch. :)

I decided that OS X would be better for him. I built his previous computer for him with XP Pro SP2 and locked it down pretty tight with a hosts file, Nod32 antivirus, hardware firewall (router) and told him to stick with Opera or Firefox when surfing the web. That's worked for me for many years and *knocks on wood* I've never had spyware or a virus in that time and neither did he. All my father does is surf the web, write the occasional letter in Word and use iTunes for his iPod. Figured that with a Mac there's less to worry about since I'm not there to manage things for him (we're in different countries) and I feel more comfortable with him doing whatever he wants on the Mac because there is no risk.

For myself, I've never had any problems with Vista since SP1. I rolled back to XP SP2 because it was buggy before that but have been coasting along fine with it since then. I don't know if it's just that I'm more comfortable with Windows (probably it) but despite using Leopard for about 3 months, I found myself missing Windows. I prefer uTorrent to Transmission and I prefer Media Player Classic to VLC. Just two examples. Again, nothing wrong with OS X. Just my own preference for a different OS; one I reinforce I've never had any issues with.

I decided that OS X would be better for him. I built his previous computer for him with XP Pro SP2 and locked it down pretty tight with a hosts file, Nod32 antivirus, hardware firewall (router) and told him to stick with Opera or Firefox when surfing the web. That's worked for me for many years and *knocks on wood* I've never had spyware or a virus in that time and neither did he. All my father does is surf the web, write the occasional letter in Word and use iTunes for his iPod. Figured that with a Mac there's less to worry about since I'm not there to manage things for him (we're in different countries) and I feel more comfortable with him doing whatever he wants on the Mac because there is no risk.

For myself, I've never had any problems with Vista since SP1. I rolled back to XP SP2 because it was buggy before that but have been coasting along fine with it since then. I don't know if it's just that I'm more comfortable with Windows (probably it) but despite using Leopard for about 3 months, I found myself missing Windows. I prefer uTorrent to Transmission and I prefer Media Player Classic to VLC. Just two examples. Again, nothing wrong with OS X. Just my own preference for a different OS; one I reinforce I've never had any issues with.

I can respect that.

And it's not like I'm bashing MS Windows just to be a troll or because I'm a fan of OSX (not Apple), but because I have been extremely disappointed by the lack of quality of microsoft products and the companies broken promises (in my view) in general. That being said, if Microsoft one day comes out with a stable and safe operating system, that does not require me to handle it like an egg shell or dig into the registry files just so it won't crash or constantly annoy me with unnecessary questions and security holes the size of texas, I'll gladly use and promote it.

Cheers,

- hecker

Figured that with a Mac there's less to worry about since I'm not there to manage things for him (we're in different countries) and I feel more comfortable with him doing whatever he wants on the Mac because there is no risk.

There is always a risk, but I agree. I got my mom an iBook for the same exact reason, but she only lives across the state...

That being said, if Microsoft one day comes out with a stable and safe operating system, that does not require me to handle it like an egg shell or dig into the registry files just so it won't crash or constantly annoy me with unnecessary questions and security holes the size of texas, I'll gladly use and promote it.

I can respect that. But where are these security holes, unnecessary annoying questions, and need to dig into the registry to prevent crashing? I have never ran into any of these problems, and I have used Windows since 98.

The only time my computer ever crashes (BSOD) is when I install incompatible hardware (a 2.6 V stick of ram into a 2.5 V slot, doh!) or when hardware fails (damn fan in laptop, still got to get that thing replaced). Both instances are no fault of the OS.

I just don't understand this "urban legend" of the BSOD that everyone seems to have on a daily basis...

microsoft has an open platform. Apple has closed platform.

Advantage MS

Agreed, since when can I SLi and play Crysis on OSX- OSX is great for desktop {censored} (photoshop, sending email, work {censored})- but if you want to do cutting edge stuff with your hardware you have to have windows period or wait until apple allows it's customers (by providing drivers via long waited updates or product refreshes) to have it.

Agreed, since when can I SLi and play Crysis on OSX- OSX is great for desktop {censored} (photoshop, sending email, work {censored})- but if you want to do cutting edge stuff with your hardware you have to have windows period or wait until apple allows it's customers (by providing drivers via long waited updates or product refreshes) to have it.

Cutting edge stuff = SLI & Crysis?

My usual projects on a computer usually involve things like graphics, web programming, and HD video productions, and when I switched from XP to OS X I was able to do everything the same way I did in Windows.

At the same time, I've been doing many gigs and shows, and it's funny how my friends and I always end up using hardcore Windows setups to run the shows.

Really, I do believe there is a level of preference and requirements involved in OS choice.

Requirements:

At work I administrate a Windows & Linux environment; something that would be a major feat to try to switch to Mac. There is some level of integration between Windows and Linux that allows our preferences to be biased for certain aspects of our work environment.

Preference:

At home however, I become the "mac fanboy." While I could use Windows for my projects, it's just my preference that when I have to produce an HD video production in 2-3 days, that I am able to work instantly and focus on my creative "juices" and not have to worry about settings, hardware, and annoying interfaces.

And my home servers run Windows & Linux.

I don't know. I like Mac and I'll swear by it, but I guess I can get a long with any OS... :P

In terms of the average home end-user and the creative/multimedia outlets, I believe Apple is heading in the right direction. People should realize the differences between operating systems and use what's best according for them and their needs.

I'm not sure what so 'practical' about the over use of DRM, spyware and viruses, but hey, you're more than welcome to them. Enjoy ;)

Nothing at all, but then again that doens't apply to Vista. I have yet to see a virus, spyware isn't a problem either. And the first actual real live example of overuse of DRM hasn't occured either. And I use various kinds of media a lot, some of dubious scources...

But then again, I'm sure Apple is not guilty of over use of DRM.... That's calling the kettle black...

Hey, isn't Windows the greatest virus program ever created? It infects millions of computers and thousands upon thousands of hours of lost productivity can be attributed to that M$ OS. Technically I think it would be more appropriate to consider it a cross between a virus and a trojan horse.

Key word 'yet' :) Windows = virus. End of story.

I am starting to realize that what ever you say is heavily bias for some reason. ;)

Did your wife / girlfriend cheat on you with Windows? If so, it'll be alright... Well, except for the fact that she probably didn't use protection. Don't want to get all those viruses, worms, and bsods everyone (except me) seems to have all the time... :P

If you think that windows = virus is biased then that makes you the MS fanboy drinking windows kool-aid :mellow:

Considering that I have never had a virus (primarily used Windows since 98) and my wife has never had a virus (again, has only ever used Windows), I do feel that "Windows = Virus" is a very bias statement based on nothing but stereotypes, rumors, and personal hatred towards an entity.

It is the exact same thing as me saying "Mac OS X = No Video Games" or "Mac OS X = Only Graphical Editing" or "Mac OS X = Lack of Hardware and Software Support." Those are very bias statements based on stereotypes, rumors, and personal hatreds towards an entity.

Do you see where I am coming from now?

I have never had a virus

That's nice, but it means NOTHING in the real world. I've been using computers since Commodore 64 and I also never had a virus, that is until one morning when I woke up and found half the data on my drive was destroyed by one. It's the whole reason why I switched to using a Mac. Like most windows users I was caught in the inevitable windows revolving door, mistakenly thinking that the world revolved around the windows os, but everyone these days knows that isn't so. Ever hear of the saying "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; but to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it." Everyone that uses windows gets bit by a virus sooner or later. If you think that day won't come for you then you are just in denial. If you think windows is OK then fine, use it. It's really not my problem, and the funniest part is that all of your whining in this thread isn't going to make you one bit safer :mellow:

That's nice, but it means NOTHING in the real world. I've been using computers since Commodore 64 and I also never had a virus, that is until one morning when I woke up and found half the data on my drive was destroyed by one. It's the whole reason why I switched to using a Mac. Like most windows users I was caught in the inevitable windows revolving door, mistakenly thinking that the world revolved around the windows os, but everyone these days knows that isn't so. Ever hear of the saying "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; but to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it." Everyone that uses windows gets bit by a virus sooner or later. If you think that day won't come for you then you are just in denial. If you think windows is OK then fine, use it. It's really not my problem, and the funniest part is that all of your whining in this thread isn't going to make you one bit safer :mellow:

Ouch! That burned oh one of great knowledge...

LOL :) I wish you the best of luck, but logically I just don't see how you're going to escape not getting a virus one day. Sooner or later your luck will run out. I just hope you're doing backups. Everyone should be doing backups, no matter what OS they're running :)

I just hope you're doing backups. Everyone should be doing backups, no matter what OS they're running :)

Agreed. I have a back up of everything in usually three or more places. My original desktop copy, once on my server, once on my laptop, and eventually to CD or DVD. Better safe than sorry (no matter what OS I am using)...

Ironically the whole "I'm a PC" MS commercials seem to be vindicating the Apple commercials. Instead of giving people reasons not to believe the Apple commercials, MS is giving people reasons to believe Apples commercials. Now a days there is nothing that you can say after the words 'I'm a PC' that makes you sound smart :)

Maybe Bill Gates shouldn't be in the adverts :) It might make it easier...

If you think that windows = virus is biased then that makes you the MS fanboy drinking windows kool-aid :)

Windows doesn't equal virus.

Windows is certainly more prone to viri, however proper precautions means I never got a virus or trojan on my PC. That said, I have now switched to OS X because I prefer it.

Stupid discussion here.

If you like windows, just enjoy it.

I love OSX, it's stable. It's fast, even after a year, windows is faster when you've just installed it, but after a few months it's getting slower and slower.

Never had any problems with my Mac, or hackintosh.

On my work I've had a damadged FAT-file in XP after a crash. Brought me lot's of trouble.

I'm not a fan of MS, but if someone is, that's nice.

At home I use XP in VM, it can't connect to the internet. No problems with any virus when you close all connection to the outside world. I also run UBUNTU in VM, it's free and very stable too.

I think linux is the only platform with a future.

Africa is comming! :wacko:

Gosh, some people just can't take a joke. It was a JOKE ok. If that little comment got you to self spin, then you are a total windows fanboy. As for me, I am a fanboy for my wife and kids. Using OS X gives me much more time to be with them, so it rocks. The same can not be said for M$ OS lineup.