netflix streaming beta for mac

joeblough

45 posts in this topic

How I got Netflix streaming to work on my OSX86 system:

Time machine fix from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

I did some testing and found that a vanilla retail wouldn't play Netflix on my hardware. However, a Kalyway 10.5.2 install with a few options checked would work. The particular option that needs to be checked is TimeMachineFix. I was able to install only the packages I needed from DVD post install.

The packages you need are located on the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD:

/Volumes/Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd/System/Installation/Packages/Patches/

(The folder is hidden, so click Go > Go to Folder and paste in the path above with the DVD inserted.)

The package names are:

Time-Machine-Update_Time-Machine-Update.pkg

TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily.pkg

Install them by double-clicking and be prepared for the usual boot cache update or use the -f boot flag.

Unfortunately, the update package above overwrites whatever kernel you have currently installed with the vanilla one. So backup your kernal first! If you forget to back up and you want your system to sleep/restart correctly, you can install kernel_9.2_sleep_hidden.pkg from the same folder (this kernel is installed by default during a Kalyway install).

You may or may not need SMBIOSEnabler.kext.

I really wouldn't take this approach if your running 10.5.6. It will corrupt the installed sw database to think your running 10.5.2. Those packages also change the several important filesystem frameworks that were updated with 10.5.6 and are tied closely to other parts of the system. Better to work with the individual kexts already listed so you can undo them if it doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

OKay so here is how I got it working on my system. I have a shuttle setup with a Q660 installed via the vanilla install.

1. First thing first the standard silverlight installer didn't work for me so I used this one (linked earlier in this post) by theTITUS. Prior to this I used pacificst and pulled the plugin out and dropped it in the proper spot... everytime I went to nextflix firefox crashed. Installing via the linked installer got me past the crash but I got the 8152 error.

2. I noticed that I was getting the same UUID error

2008-11-04 18:21:06.905 system_profiler[894:c0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I fixed this error by going here and following these instructions:

From netkas.org the following Q&A entry:

Q: Time machine doesn't work/I have error 35, what can i do to fix it ?

A: get fixed (compiled from sources, so legal) IONetworking by zef , http://tinyurl.com/27frv7, unpack it and install file:

sudo cp /path/to/unpacked/IONetworkingFamily /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily

sudo chown 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily

sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

MacOSX will recreate kexts cache, then reboot, Time machine should work now and no more Error 35

I restarted and now I don't get the UUID error and now my netflix works!

Thanks dudes!

• 2 weeks later...

As stated above, This worked for me to get Netflix streaming working correctly with Silverlight:

get fixed (compiled from sources, so legal) IONetworking by zef , http://tinyurl.com/27frv7, unpack it and install file:

sudo cp /path/to/unpacked/IONetworkingFamily /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily

sudo chown 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/MacOS/IONetworkingFamily

THANK YOU!!!

As stated above, This worked for me to get Netflix streaming working correctly with Silverlight:

get fixed (compiled from sources, so legal) IONetworking by zef , http://tinyurl.com/27frv7, unpack it and install file:

THANK YOU!!!

Unfortunately that file hoses my VMWare Fusion bridge network.

• 4 weeks later...

So i've tried everything on this page, and a couple calls to netflix and microsoft. Microsoft now refuses to help you with it on the phone? so everything is through email, but i know they wont resolve the problem.

The problem lies somewhere in individualizing my computer, if you go to www.tinyurl.com/netflixsl you can check if you can play netflix movies or not. Mine gets stuck on individualizing, which, as i have understood it, deals with license acquisition and making sure that the computer you're playing it on is allowed to play the file.

So somehow we have to trick it into thinking it can, and maybe this can be done with some plist editing? or those missing files we're supposed to have? I just think that there should be a way to do it, and it's bothering me that it works for some people and not for others... What distro do people have it working on? maybe that's part of it. Anyone gotten it to work with the iPC10.5.6 distro?

We'll work on it, i'll look into it some more

-P

• 2 weeks later...
8152 ERROR SOVLED!

I had to install the files below to get rid of the 8152 error. I don't think this has to do with the Q6600, but rather some updates from Apple (as a previous poster mentioned). It took me a while to find working .kext files, so, here they are.

IO80211Family.kext is here (went over 2meg limit):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CNTBXWQR

Thank you!, these files resolved the error on my D945GLF2 when I upgraded from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6. I used kexthelper.

• 1 month later...

OP here, i finally installed that smbios that was attached upthread by timewise. i was having a problem with jungle disk crashing on GetMachineKey() which i figured must be related to the netflix thing. netflix and jungledisk are now working, but i did also update silverlight. thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read the installation directions for Silverlight 2.0 for Firefox ONLY. When I did Silverlight works great on an TigerDirect Intel build Leopard 10.5.1. I tried Netflix support no help. FIX: When I read the directions I realized that I had to open Silverlight 2.0 not save it. Small move but big return. The dialogue reads: installation for Firefox needs to be "opened" not "saved". After opening, Silverlight the dialog might say it cannot be installed but continue. I followed the prompts and it installed perfectly. I've only had it on for maybe 10 minutes. I spent most of last night trying other things. This finally worked easily. So far, when I leave the video page and come back to the page it does need to stream again. I don't know what that is about. As for Safari I'm I haven't tried it again. Netflix Silverlight Firefox ONLY error 8152 solved for individualization failed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have taken some time to create a latest version of Hackintosh ready Silverlight 2 GDR 1 v2.0.40115.0

Hackintosh ready Silverlight 2 GDR 1 v2.0.40115.0

Enjoy!

I d/l'ed and ran the install and all seemed to go well and definitely overcame the silverlight install challenge, but now when trying to watch content I am getting the "DRM content 8152" error and can't view. I did search around and see that some are getting around this successfully using kexthelper and installing AppleSMBIOSEnabler.kext , but this kext is intended for 10.5.6 and I am a bit gun shy back here at 10.5.2, anyone that can share experience ?

OKay so here is how I got it working on my system. I have a shuttle setup with a Q660 installed via the vanilla install.

1. First thing first the standard silverlight installer didn't work for me so I used this one (linked earlier in this post) by theTITUS. Prior to this I used pacificst and pulled the plugin out and dropped it in the proper spot... everytime I went to nextflix firefox crashed. Installing via the linked installer got me past the crash but I got the 8152 error.

2. I noticed that I was getting the same UUID error

2008-11-04 18:21:06.905 system_profiler[894:c0b] _CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I fixed this error by going here and following these instructions:

I restarted and now I don't get the UUID error and now my netflix works!

Thanks dudes!

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to reply saying that this fixed my Netflix problem and my Time Machine issue. Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

FYI, I just got Silverlight 3.0 working on my hackintosh by modifying the installation check file located in the silverlight.3.0.pgk from MS. Reading the contents of the modified version of installation check from 2.0 provided by theTITUS, the 3.0 version isn't much different at all. Here's what I would recommend doing:

1. Play a movie from Netflix and download the Silverlight 3.0 package.

2. cancel the install and show the package contents of the file

3. Navigate to the resource folder, right click Installation Check and open with Text Edit

4. After the file opens up go to the bottom of the page to the sting that says "$EXIT_VALUE =" and make the value "0" (zero).

5. Save the file and close the package contents and try your installation this time.

Just passing on what I did within 3 minutes and now I'm enjoying my Netflix streams. Hope this helps for some of you!

/Edit I forgot to mention that my OS is iATKOS v7 upgraded to 10.5.8

• 1 month later...

Using Kalyway which was originally installed as 10.5.2 on a Dell GX520.

Updated to 10.5.6 using the method found in post 135131 (look it up if interested).

Installed Silverlight 3 with Pacifist. Since that didn't seem to work I decided to try the Hackintosh Ready 2.0 version found here in this thread. This had no positive effect.

Attempted the "fix" found here: http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=5665

All this did was break my ethernet connection and a whole bunch of nothing for me. I had to restore the old IONetworkingFamily.kext from backup. (And incidentally this post contains two AppleSMBIOS files and does not tell you which one to use! (?!?!?!?!) My recommendation is to avoid this method.

I did install the IONetworkingFamily.kext mentioned and quoted by L3P in this thread. This did not break my ethernet, but still no change in the Netflix 8152 error.

So, now what? I cannot find any fixes that work. Any and all help appreciated.

okay, so i have a netflix account and so i thought i'd try the beta for mac.

first you have to install silverlight 2.0. i guess because i dont have the right SMBios kext, the preflight check in their installer fails, thinking my machine is PowerPC. okay, fine, edit the script and i was able to install (a prior attempt to install using pacifist didnt work - silverlight would crash my browser right away)

so then after the 'official' install, i find that it still crashes firefox. safari is okay though, and it gets almost all the way to streaming the video and dies with error code 8152. i can see at the netflix blog that other people are reporting this problem, so it might not be osx86 specific. those people claim to have mac pros, which is kind of similar to my rig. but i can imagine that there might be some stuff in smbios that they are looking for when setting up the DRM (which is where it seems to die)

anyway, any other experiences? working or not, either way...

Using Kalyway which was originally installed as 10.5.2 on a Dell GX520.

Updated to 10.5.6 using the method found in post 135131 (look it up if interested).

Installed Silverlight 3 with Pacifist. Since that didn't seem to work I decided to try the Hackintosh Ready 2.0 version found here in this thread. This had no positive effect.

Attempted the "fix" found here: http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=5665

All this did was break my ethernet connection and a whole bunch of nothing for me. I had to restore the old IONetworkingFamily.kext from backup. (And incidentally this post contains two AppleSMBIOS files and does not tell you which one to use! (?!?!?!?!) My recommendation is to avoid this method.

I did install the IONetworkingFamily.kext mentioned and quoted by L3P in this thread. This did not break my ethernet, but still no change in the Netflix 8152 error.

So, now what? I cannot find any fixes that work. Any and all help appreciated.

Try this it worked for me.

To correct this issue you need to delete two .plist files, they are both located in ‘/Library/Preferences/’

Delete: NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist

Reboot your machine. These two files will automatically be generated with their default (and correct) settings upon rebooting.

It was taken from here.

http://www.ezramoore.com/blog/?tag=error-8152

• 2 months later...
Try this it worked for me.

To correct this issue you need to delete two .plist files, they are both located in ‘/Library/Preferences/’

Delete: NetworkInterfaces.plist, and preferences.plist

Reboot your machine. These two files will automatically be generated with their default (and correct) settings upon rebooting.

It was taken from here.

http://www.ezramoore.com/blog/?tag=error-8152

I can confirm this works. Running 10.5.8 w/ latest version of Silverlight.