Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

Hi,

I do definitely need to start on that guide like I said, just forgot about it. Give me some more time and I'll wipe my drive and start from scratch.

As for your needs now, I've attached numerous files from my current install if it'll help (cleaned up my Extra/Extensions folder a bit, but note that the SleepEnabler is for 10.6.2 only).

The bootloader I'm currently using is Prasys' PC_EFI 10.6 mod. I'm also back with the 32bit kernel, since the new graphics drivers that Apple added in 10.6.2 for 64bit compatibility, have a problem with sleep. See my thread here for more info. Just remove the "arch=i386" flag from Boot.plist to boot into 64bit mode.

Also ran across a fix last month for the problem of the occasional black/gray screen on boot, which happens on some X3100 graphics on OS X. Just replace (backup first) the "DisplayProductID-717" file located at: /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e. Now whenever OS X can't read your graphics EDID, which causes the black or grey screen, it will use this display override with the correct EDID and your display will be correct (though your wallpaper may be different the first time, which is an easy fix).

Credit goes to users CharredPC & errandwolfe for the fix. Also note this fix may no longer be necessary with the fix from Meklort rolled into Prasys' modded bootloader.

Let me know if I can help any further.

FILES:

SL_Files

DisplayProductID-717

Thanks Dabluest! I FINALLY got myself up and running with 10.6.2 with a combination of yours and XP's files. Everything is working, besides LAN of course. I can't thank you enough! I will post a step-by-step guide on how I got it running this week for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
10.6.2 GUIDE for the DELL 1318

ALL credit goes to pcguy / Dabluest / xp1700 for their files and guidance (I'm just writing this up)

I'm running a dual boot with Vista and Snow. And my Snow install handles so much better than Vista, especially when I'm using it with a monitor. Basically loving my Dell Macbook. My Leopard install wasn't nearly as smooth or fast as this.

Anyway, here's how I got everything up and running:

PRE-INSTALL:

1. Download and unzip this (all the necessary drivers and files!): http://www.mediafire.com/?zfnz0nzxynv

2. Download 10.6.2 Combo Update from the Apple site and copy to a USB flash drive.

3. Restore the Snow Leopard Retail Disc to a USB drive. Minimum 8GB drive Required. (This step is required for dual boaters installing Snow to an MBR partition). Installing from the disc itself just didn't work for me.

4. Burn Superhai "DellSnow.iso" Boot CD to a disc. (included in mediafire kit).

****For those wanting a dual boot setup with Windows, you need to patch 2 files on the Snow install disc using instructions in POST #172 above.****

INSTALL

1. Boot with the Superhai "DellSnow" Boot CD.

2. Install Snow Leopard either thru disc or USB. NOTE: Install for me FAILED with error 'could not boot from startup disk' but that is fine�€�ignore it.

3. Reboot with the Superhai Boot CD, into your new install partition, set up your account. (Hit APPLE+Q to SKIP the page where it asks for Apple ID.)

4. Copy "EXTRA" folder to root.

5. Copy "dsdt.aml" and "boot" to root.

6. Install "Trackpad" and "Voodoo PS2" and "VoodooHDA" pref panes.

7. Copy "VoodooHDA.kext" to /System/Library/Extensions folder.

8. Install Chameleon.pkg. NOTE: For me, the install FAILED, but it still works...

9. Run Kext Utility. This will smooth out all the files we've copied/replaced so far.

10. Install the 10.6.2 Combo Update.

12. Reboot (if all is well, you won't need the Superhai CD anymore).

13. Once you're in, open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities). At the prompt, type "sudo" without the quotes. Then drag "bcm43xx.enabler.sh" file into the terminal window. Hit Enter. Follow all the prompts to successfully install this driver for wireless.

14. Run Kext Utility again.

15. REBOOT. And you should be good to go!

Everything works besides LAN (which seems like a lost cause on this machine).

Thanks again to PCguy for starting this thread, and to xp1700 & Dabluest for posting their files!

Hope this works for anyone looking to get SL on their 1318s.

I have followed this guide time after time after time and the only thing that I can't get working is the sleep. I close the lid, 30 seconds later I hear the dvd drive make a sound and it wakes back up. Any ideas?

• 4 weeks later...