Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

Hi, first time poster here.

I've set up a quad-boot system (OS X, XP, Win7 and Ubuntu) on my Inspiron 1318. Problem is, the sleep trick does not work for me - the screen refuses to resume. I followed the instructions to the letter, including the pulling-of-plug, but that's as far as I got. The system boots up through the Apple logo, and stops at the screen-blackout step.

Any ideas?

i'm still having problem with the display. i followed each step. the first time the display did come back and i finished installation and i was able to use mac perfectly. then i did the sleepdisplay trick exactly as it was explained here. but after restarting, the display never came back. there is no cursor for me to move to the upper right hand corner. after waiting 6 mins and sometimes even longer, the display does not came back on. only once out of over 10 times i've tried the display came up. what is the problem. there has to be a better driver (kext) to fix this problem. i'm just extremely frustrated at the moment. please help.

thanks.

Hey, I have tried up and down to install the program on my Dell 1318. But always failed. I have had millions of problems. First of all let me post my computers internals so you guys can help me choose in the customization better.

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Untitled2-1.png

I am using iAtkos 5i. But I am always getting the Powerbutton followed by a please restart your computer in 4 or 3 languages. What should I do?

For those having problem with the black screen, there must be someway to update the Intel GMA X3100 driver. Here are something you can do:

__Update your system BIOS

__Set Sleep Display on all 4 Hot Corners

I found this thread here so you don't have to use Hot Corner or Sleep Display to wake it up.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117443

Someone was able to get the video driver working without using Sleep Display here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=135184&hl=

Hey, I have tried up and down to install the program on my Dell 1318. But always failed. I have had millions of problems. First of all let me post my computers internals so you guys can help me choose in the customization better.

I am using iAtkos 5i. But I am always getting the Powerbutton followed by a please restart your computer in 4 or 3 languages. What should I do?

If you follow my instructions on page 2 of this thread to check the correct drivers, you should be able to get it working. The only thing I think you'd have problem with is choosing the SATA Intel driver in which you should choose Intel AHCI SATA if you didn't mess with your system BIOS to turn off AHCI. Try that instead of regular Intel SATA driver.

Well all I had to do was set up the default bios settings and booted up like a charm. Now. After the first restart it goes blank and I waited 30 seconds before taking the cable out the laptop and 6 until I plugged it again. With no respond from the monitor... What should I do? Keep playing with it?

PS: I got it working. I just conected an external Mouse like that guy said. Also, I am a little worried. Since when I installed Mac at first I didn't have any options to do the customize thing. It just installed Mac like an operating system. I never saw the customization window. Right now I am after the part where it doesnt recognize my keyboard or trackpad and is just identifying my keyboard for like 5 hours.

I know. What happened. I skipped the Customize part and I saw it now. Right now I am performing a format so I can go ahead and install it. What recommendations can you make about what to install PCguy?

PS: I reformatted and now everytime I insert the disk is keep saying again the restart thing. I changed the HDD thing you told me to ATA and nothing. It's really frustrating that many things can mess this up.

I fixed everything. As for the Sound. I tryed copying the codec to text editor and then drawing that to the HDA pAtcher and nothing happen. And error appeared about an Unhandle Codec at the bottom of the patcher windows. Also I used the links you gave for the Display fix, (the new ones) and downloaded the new program. The thing is, when the computer boots, my display background just goes blue. Everything is there, but the wallpaper is blue. How can I fix that Pcguy?

I fixed everything. As for the Sound. I tryed copying the codec to text editor and then drawing that to the HDA pAtcher and nothing happen. And error appeared about an Unhandle Codec at the bottom of the patcher windows. Also I used the links you gave for the Display fix, (the new ones) and downloaded the new program. The thing is, when the computer boots, my display background just goes blue. Everything is there, but the wallpaper is blue. How can I fix that Pcguy?

Sound fix: must use HDA Patcher version 1.6. Other versions do not work so get HDA Patcher 1.6 and drag and drop the codec on it.

If everything is there and the background is blue, if I understand you correctly your MAC is working and you want to change your background. To change the background go to Applications folder then click on System Preferences. Then click on Desktop and Screen Saver and select your background. This is something everyone knows how to. This thread is intended to help users with installation and configuration problems. As for the basic stuff like copying files, configuring wallpaper, changing time clock; you'll need to play around with Mac if it's a new thing for you. Also go to Help and type in what you need to know.

No PCguy. I know how to do that. I am a programmer myself. >.> Dont get me wrong. If I can't change it, it's because the background doesn't want to change. I tried all of the wallpapers that come with the Mac, and none change the background itself. Also, I updated the Mac and now I don't have Wifi. Is there a fix for this? Also, I tried installing the iWork 09 trial from apple and everything it beginning mounting, the screen goes a little dimmer and it just freezes there. Any help with that? Also, how can I get the bluetooth to turn on with there computer? since it always appers off and I have to manually turn it on.

PS: I can't find HDA Patcher 1.6. Latest I can find is 1.2.

No PCguy. I know how to do that. I am a programmer myself. >.> Dont get me wrong. If I can't change it, it's because the background doesn't want to change. I tried all of the wallpapers that come with the Mac, and none change the background itself. Also, I updated the Mac and now I don't have Wifi. Is there a fix for this? Also, I tried installing the iWork 09 trial from apple and everything it beginning mounting, the screen goes a little dimmer and it just freezes there. Any help with that? Also, how can I get the bluetooth to turn on with there computer? since it always appers off and I have to manually turn it on.

PS: I can't find HDA Patcher 1.6. Latest I can find is 1.2.

OK so now I understand you know how to do the basic stuff. Most likely when you set it up and I assume you chose the Customize option which let you set up all the drivers. If you follow the steps in this thread, you'll get it up and running. Sound and Wireless fixes are posted in this thread at the very beginning. Look at the post from Any Truong, it will show you how to set up your wireless by copying the IO80211Family.kext to the extensions folder and repair the permission.

In order to install iWork 09, we will need to update it to 10.5.6. After the update, your sound and wireless will not work so you just have to do the same steps in this thread to fix the wireless and sound. This apply for every OS X update meaning if you update to the next patch in the future like 10.5.7, you'll need to redo the sound and wireless again. I can't post the HDA Patcher 1.6. See your mail box.

The problem is PCguy that the problem started happening after the update. Before it, it ran fine and ask if I could update the computer in order for iWork to start installing. After I did I started to have those problem and now it doesn't freeze, now it goes a little deemer and the you need to restart and all languages thing appears and I have to reboot. It happens for every .dmg file. I really don't know what to do with that. Also I have set up everything back after the update so I have sound and wireless. Also what about the bluetooth? I can use it, it's just that I always have to turn it on manually. It starts with the computer but it starts as off. Thanks for everything by the way.

The problem is PCguy that the problem started happening after the update. Before it, it ran fine and ask if I could update the computer in order for iWork to start installing. After I did I started to have those problem and now it doesn't freeze, now it goes a little deemer and the you need to restart and all languages thing appears and I have to reboot. It happens for every .dmg file. I really don't know what to do with that. Also I have set up everything back after the update so I have sound and wireless. Also what about the bluetooth? I can use it, it's just that I always have to turn it on manually. It starts with the computer but it starts as off. Thanks for everything by the way.

If you're trying to update to the latest 10.5.6 then you have to follow the instructions here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

You'll need to download the software there to run after the update otherwise it will screw up your system and you'll have to start over.

For iWork 2009 trial, download it directly from Apple. If you download it from a torrent site, it's most like infected with a trojan. You can also install iWork without updating to the latest patch. I found it from another thread. It said, you just move the screen asking for you to update away and proceed with the install. No need to update to 10.5.6.

Well I guess I screw it. If it's your way. But my system seems to be working fine. Besides the problem that I am explaining to you. Every .dmg file that I try to open starts the "You need to restart your computer thing that appeared to many when installing iAtkos and the others". Besides that my computer is working very good.

Well Pcguy, I reformatted my computer and now the wifi doesn't work. I followed the exact same steps and I can't seem to be getting it right. I did exactly as you posted and it worked. Whenever I type CD /System/Library/Extensions I get this, ( I did get them last time but it didn't prevented me from fixing it last time.

Here is the error: /usr/bin/CD: line 4: builtin: CD: not a shell builtin

Thank you so much PCGuy for your descriptive settings, fixes, etc. They got MacOS working on my dell inspiron 1318 beautifully. I'm experiencing one problem. Not a huge one but something I would like to get working....

The problem I'm experiencing is my network card (wired ethernet) does not function. Wifi works fine but ethernet doesn't. In system preferences > network it tells me the cable is unplugged; however, I know it's plugged in and has signal because the lights of the network card itself are lit up. According to the dell website, my laptop should have a broadcom 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller.....

Is there a fix for this or something I need to do to get it working?

I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks So Much!

Hey Guys, I just got my new laptop and the first thing I did was update the bios to A03 and made sure I have the defaults. For some reason I can't get the installation to "wakeup" after it reboots. One thing I've noticed when I boot up the laptop I get the apple logo, then a blue screen, then the screen goes out.

However from reading the posts it appears that the laptop itself SHOULD NOT go to sleep, I should see hard drive activity etc, it's just the screen that should go out. After I unplug/plug the power adapter back in and move the mouse around the screen should come back....but the laptop itself SHOULD never go to sleep.

Am I correct? In my situation it almost appears as if the laptopt is going to sleep immediately following the blue screen, I don't have any time that lapses between it going to sleep and the screen going out.

What could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

That happend to me, i believe its unavoidable?? you're spose to wait 20 seconds then unplug your charger then wait another 5 mins 20 secs and plug it back in and you should be good. issue with the video card or something i do believe, dont count me for it cuz i really dunno lol

When it comes to the issue with the screen turning black, the best thing that worked for me is hooking the laptop up to an external monitor. After the bios at the 5 second countdown for boot options, press Fn+F8 to switch to an external monitor. Next, it should boot on the external monitor and you should see the blue screen flash. I always move my mouse during this step as a "Just in Case." After the blue screen, the laptop should shut off the external and display Max OS X on your laptop's screen. Once you're in Mac OS X, be sure to configure the hot corner with Sleep Display or you're going to have to use the external monitor trick everytime you want to boot.

I, like many others, have had no luck with the "5 minute, 40 seconds... try 6 minutes... 10 minutes 3 days.. then unplug" alternative to this....

Hopefully this will help out those who are stuck looking at a black screen!

Thanks DJs4Less, I got through the installation using an external monitor....the laptop still acts funny though. I don't think the sleep trick is working for it, for some reason. I shut down and restart and it only really starts up correctly on the third try..weird.

I think I figured out my problem, rebooting isn't working with my laptop. Anytime I reboot the laptop screen goes white (if I use the external monitor trick). I can't use the sleep trick either, the laptop looks like it's hibernating. I'll start looking through the forums to see what may be happening.

Alright so I figured out what was wrong with my laptop...apparently the X3100 drivers that came with iatkos 5i didn't work with this dell 1318. When I would reboot it would freeze. However if I shutdown the laptop and waited a few minutes, started it up (connected with the external monitor) it works just fine. I also noticed the sleep trick NEVER seemed to work. In order to get to work I :

1) Downloaded slashack's X3100 drivers from posting http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hack&st=540

2) Clear the Cache sudo -rm /System/Library/Cache/*

3) Follow these instructions http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1034868

4) Remember to setup your sleep corners still

5) Reboot and enjoy!

Did anyone manage to solve the sound coming out of both the headphones and speakers at the same time?

This is a real pain given the point of headphones is to be able to listen to the sound without bothering others!

If anyone has a solution (other than purchasing an external audio chipset), I'd really appreciate it!

Also - If anyone knows how to make the wired ethernet (network) port work, I'd appreciate the help on that as well.....

Does anyone even know if their wired ethernet (network) port works?

Alright so I figured out what was wrong with my laptop...apparently the X3100 drivers that came with iatkos 5i didn't work with this dell 1318. When I would reboot it would freeze. However if I shutdown the laptop and waited a few minutes, started it up (connected with the external monitor) it works just fine. I also noticed the sleep trick NEVER seemed to work. In order to get to work I :

1) Downloaded slashack's X3100 drivers from posting http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...hack&st=540

2) Clear the Cache sudo -rm /System/Library/Cache/*

3) Follow these instructions http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1034868

4) Remember to setup your sleep corners still

5) Reboot and enjoy!

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure it will help others trying to find out why the video driver doesn't work properly. I noticed inside the zip file. There was a natit.kext driver also. I gave my brother the 1318 laptop so I don't have one to play with. I would set up 4 hot corners with SleepDisplay instead just one corner so you don't have to move your cursor around too many times trying to hit the same corner. I'll update my post with the updated video driver from hackslash. Thanks again.

Thank you so much PCGuy for your descriptive settings, fixes, etc. They got MacOS working on my dell inspiron 1318 beautifully. I'm experiencing one problem. Not a huge one but something I would like to get working....

The problem I'm experiencing is my network card (wired ethernet) does not function. Wifi works fine but ethernet doesn't. In system preferences > network it tells me the cable is unplugged; however, I know it's plugged in and has signal because the lights of the network card itself are lit up. According to the dell website, my laptop should have a broadcom 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller.....

Is there a fix for this or something I need to do to get it working?

I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Thanks So Much!

Can you get the exact Model of that broadcom ethernet card? I may be able to find the driver for it. If you run windows XP, it should tell you what model it is.