Dell Inspiron 1318 got it working

pcguy

180 posts in this topic

I tried several versions KalyWay, iDeneb, Leo4All and could not get Leo installed. Frustrated, I tried again with iATKOS 10.5.4 and got it to boot. (UPDATE, you can use the newest version iATKOS ver 5i which is 10.5.5) Then choose the default with SATA driver selected and Intel GMA3100 video driver. After a reboot, the display went blank here is what you need to do:

__Wait for 20 seconds before pulling the power plug. (Let the system finish up what it is doing. Pulling the plug too soon may not get the display to come back)

__Wait like 5 minutes 40 seconds or 6 minutes to plug it back in.

and voila, the display came back. Now I'm working on getting the sound driver updated and the SleepDisplay app installed to wake the video up.

f someone out there having the problem installing Leo, try iATKOS 10.5.4 and my method; you should be able to install it on Dell Inspiron 1318.

UPDATE:

Use this video driver x3100 updated from hackslash to get your video driver working properly. The one on iATKOS won't function correctly sometimes.

Now you can get rid of the Hot Corner. Stop monkeying around with SleepDisplay. Download this Screen Sleeper Solution and install it. That's it. Credit goes to Nawcom. Thanks. :)

Screen_Sleeper_Solution_Installer.pkg.zip

can you post what works ?

display, resolution acceleration,.... video

wifi

ethernet

sound, speakers, volume/mute buttons

sleep/wake

speedstep/throttle

touchpad , scrolling

battery hours ? , fan/noise,

..... specs/ desc/ dev id ....

can you post what works ?

display, resolution acceleration,.... video

wifi

ethernet

sound, speakers, volume/mute buttons

sleep/wake

speedstep/throttle

touchpad , scrolling

battery hours ? , fan/noise,

..... specs/ desc/ dev id ....

Here is what I got working so far:

X3100 video QE & CI working

Sound works using HDA Patcher 1.16 and my extracted codec below (haven't fully tested mic, and other features yet)

Bluetooth works

Speakers works, volume buttons also work, mute button does not work

Webcam works

Wi-Fi works using the updated driver below (just copy it to your extension folder then repair permission)

Touchpad is working no scrolling yet

Ethernet driver not working (BCM5906M looking for updated driver)

I'm posting this with my new Mac Dell 1318. Will updated this post later.

DRIVERS

Video X3100 updated driver (updated with natit.kext. The one from iATKOS 5i doesn't quite work)

Ethernet driver BCM59XX (working on....)

Card Reader (working on ....)

dell1318codec.txt

IO80211Family.kext.zip

Hey

Just got 1318 myself and got the save ver. that you had recommended running on it.

But now, once started screen goes blank and i can't get it back doesn't matter what i do.

Please explain how you got it to turn back on.

Thanks.

Hey

Just got 1318 myself and got the save ver. that you had recommended running on it.

But now, once started screen goes blank and i can't get it back doesn't matter what i do.

Please explain how you got it to turn back on.

Thanks.

I went through this too and got me frustrated so many times. Any way, here is the solution. When you get to the blank screen, pull the power plug then wait 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Then plug it in. The display will come back and continue to finish the rest of the set up. DO NOT turn it off or RESTART yet. Download SleepDisplay here http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26234/sleep-display. Save it in your Applications folder. Then go to System Preferences and choose a Hot Corner using SleepDisplay. I chose the upper right corner.

After restarting the laptop, the screen will go blank. Just move your mouse cursor to the upper right corner and that will wake up the display. This is a known issue with this video card and this is how you fix it.

OK

As for the video, there is an easier way to get it back, just switch between external monitor and internal panel 2-3 times and it comes back, BUT....

I made a booboo :thumbsup_anim:.. after i got it started i went to display settings, which were actually all fine, but then i notices the damn check mark that i believe said Clone displays or something like it and i enabled it.

Ever since my screen been totally screwed up, no real image at all, just garbage on the screen, can't see anything at all.

Was so upset that decided to do a clean install, but to my surprise it now has that screwed up video mode even after reinstall, and i did format the partition before reinstalling :D

Hey, we all learn something new in this process. That's great you figured out to hook it up to an external monitor and switch back & forth to get the display working. That was a time consuming process not to mention the frustration along with it. So get more people involved in this and we should have most devices working properly.

To repair permission do the followings:

Copy your IO80211Family.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

Open Terminal

sudo su (it will ask you for admin password)

CD /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 IO80211Family.kext

chown -R root:wheel IO80211Family.kext

As for your HDAPatcher search in the forum. If you can't find it pm me.

Can't permissions be done through the More Info window/security ? I believe it's the same thing, just a visual interface instead of the terminal.

I have all 3 "users" perms set to read/write and every time when i try to copy your file over, it takes it, but later on pops up a msg, something like "this file wasn't installed correctly and cannot be used"

Can't permissions be done through the More Info window/security ? I believe it's the same thing, just a visual interface instead of the terminal.

I have all 3 "users" perms set to read/write and every time when i try to copy your file over, it takes it, but later on pops up a msg, something like "this file wasn't installed correctly and cannot be used"

I have not done it through the windows security, I don't think that's the proper way to do it. First you'll need to extract the IO80211Family.kext to the desktop. Just double click on the file you downloaded to extract it.

Next copy that file to /System/Library/Extensions folder overwriting the same file. The system will ask for the admin password, enter that in to replace the one in there. Then repair permission according to my instructions above.

If you don't repair it correctly, you'll get the error.

• 2 weeks later...

Sound not working for me here, any suggestions on specific Kexts? I had an audio device detected but no sound, after I ran the utility and the codec in this thread I have no sound or audio device detected :D All else working though, great laptop!

Hi!

I'm a new user of the Inspiron 13 (1318) and I tried to install MacOS X Leopard. Same pcguy, I was trying to install the Kalyway 10.5.3, the ToH and iAtkos... finally, iAtkos can boot and the installation was easy following the steps that pcguy wrote here... but, after restart, my laptop cannot start... only I get a little cursor on the top left of the screen, like a console... anybody can help me? :(

PD. Sorry for my english... i can understand more than write hehe

Hi!

I'm a new user of the Inspiron 13 (1318) and I tried to install MacOS X Leopard. Same pcguy, I was trying to install the Kalyway 10.5.3, the ToH and iAtkos... finally, iAtkos can boot and the installation was easy following the steps that pcguy wrote here... but, after restart, my laptop cannot start... only I get a little cursor on the top left of the screen, like a console... anybody can help me? :D

PD. Sorry for my english... i can understand more than write hehe

Try changing the format type of your partition. I am using MBR. The blinking cursor problem is a common one and usually related to either the hard drive being improperly formatted, a setting in bios (defaults should work on this) or it not being blessed at the end of setup. There is an error log for the install it may be worthwhile to keep it open while you install to see if anything comes up near the end.

Still unable to sleep without crashing (screen sleeps ok), not sure if its the chipset/x3100 or what but seems to be a powermanagement issue.

Having a somewhat bigger problem now, unfortunately it seems that although the headphones and the speakers work, they both work all the time and I cannot shut off the speakers without shutting off the headphones. This is kind of a problem as I'd like to just use headphones most of the time. Anyone got a solution for this?

Well, finally i can install and setup correctly my inspiron 1318. I followed the same steps that pcguy, only i had to change on my configuration pc: the SATA hard drive should to be set as ATA not AHCI. And choose the MBR instead of GUID. Im writing this on my new HackBook Pro :D

And with the application called Dell Laptop Post Installer i get that sound and wifi works. Im so happy :thumbsup_anim: !

PD: Sorry for my english please... :D

Well, finally i can install and setup correctly my inspiron 1318. I followed the same steps that pcguy, only i had to change on my configuration pc: the SATA hard drive should to be set as ATA not AHCI. And choose the MBR instead of GUID. Im writing this on my new HackBook Pro :P

And with the application called Dell Laptop Post Installer i get that sound and wifi works. Im so happy ;) !

PD: Sorry for my english please... :P

Does your audio auto-mute when you plug in headphones and does sleep work?

Well, finally i can install and setup correctly my inspiron 1318. I followed the same steps that pcguy, only i had to change on my configuration pc: the SATA hard drive should to be set as ATA not AHCI. And choose the MBR instead of GUID. Im writing this on my new HackBook Pro :)

And with the application called Dell Laptop Post Installer i get that sound and wifi works. Im so happy :) !

PD: Sorry for my english please... :)

What kind of sound card that Inspiron 1318 has? i cant find mine on the device manager; it only shows the audio codec.

It has a Sigmatel 9228. There is the codec in this thread but it will only work with the hd patcher he mentioned (1.20 does not work).

You can also get sound working through the dell post installer.

There is one thing to note, automute does not work (I've spent a bit of time on this) so you will not be able to shutoff the speakers when listening through the headphones. This was a deal killer for me so I went to my local music shop and bought a Behringer UCA202 audio interface. It was 30$ and works great for headphone listening.

I still do not have sleep but did get time machine working so I'm happy.

Well, on my hackinstosh the sleep didn't work, i don't tested the ethernet port yet and the headphones too. My inspiron 13 crashes when I try to connect a projector and the screen of iDVD is blank... sometimes I have a kernel panic at shutdown (only when the laptop is disconnected from the AC/DC power, I want believe) and the sleep trick for wake up the screen at start sometimes didn't work...

PD: Sorry for my english :)

In spanish if anyone understand:

En mi hackintosh el sleep no funciona... no he probado el puerto ethernet ni los audifonos. Cuando lo conecto a un proyecto la pantalla muere... y a veces obtendo un kernel panic cuando apago la laptop (al parecer solo cuando no esta conectado a la energia electrica) y el truco para despertar la pantalla al iniciar a veces no funciona...

thanks for all