[SOLVED] How to fix system/clock-freezes while using Photoshop CS4

case11

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Concerns:

- Hackintosh Systems with Nvidia Videocards and NVInstallerV.41

- installed Adobe Photoshop CS4 Beta (maybe also Final)

Problem:

- System freezes while using "free transform", "transform" and some other functions in Photoshop CS4 (Filters are not affected)

Solution:

Photoshop CS4 is using video hardware (OpenGL) for some functions. If you get freezes while using the program, please check the following settings:

Photoshop -> Preferences -> Performance -> GPU-Settings

and deactivate the option "Enable OpenGL Drawing" - restart Photoshop

The problem is gone.

Maybe there are many more video cards and driver-combinations affected. If some one get this error, please post your hardware and driver and if my solution fixed it.

Hope someone will help this. I've tried so many ... removed RAM, switched kexts etc.

case11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

hi, i just googled this problem, and came here. i'm actually not on a hackintosh, i'm on a perfectly normal iMac 24" (pre-aluminium) and i was having the same problem with free transform. the solution worked, but then i was back behind the whole reason why i upgraded to CS4: clear images when not at zoom levels 25, 50, 75, etc.. and this did not work.

if you want to retain the new crystal-clear images at all zoom levels, go into preferences>performance, and instead of unchecking the "enable OpenGL drawing", go into advanced settings and uncheck all the boxes. i know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me. now i can free transform AND have beautiful crystal clear images at all zoom levels.

hopefully this works for all you hackintosh users out there.

• 4 months later...

Same thing was happening here with CS4 Final. As soon as i used the Shape Tool on the open palette, bam the system is to it's knees and i have to hard reset the psu. but the fix above worked great. Thanks.

GeForce 6800 XT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 6800 XT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x00c3

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: NVinjectGo 0.2.0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
if you want to retain the new crystal-clear images at all zoom levels, go into preferences>performance, and instead of unchecking the "enable OpenGL drawing", go into advanced settings and uncheck all the boxes. i know this sounds crazy, but it worked for me. now i can free transform AND have beautiful crystal clear images at all zoom levels.

hopefully this works for all you hackintosh users out there.

I used this method on my hackintosh, but instead just unchecked the 'Advanced Drawing' and it worked.

All is fine atm. :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...
I used this method on my hackintosh, but instead just unchecked the 'Advanced Drawing' and it worked.

All is fine atm. ;)

Man, I was about ready to change careers for something where the tools stay the same. Like carpentry or baking! Until I read this forum.

I had been trying to find the source of the freezing I was experiencing in Photoshop CS4 ever since I upgraded back in August 2009. I went so far as to install a completely new version of OS X on a separate start-up disk and install CS4 clean, from scratch. Same {censored}. The most basic function--selecting an area in a Photoshop file--would freeze the system. I mean, not just freeze, but bring the gray curtain down over the screen--no force quit or any of that fancy stuff. Power down via the button, restart, do it again. For this I spent $780?!

I was resigned to using my version of PShop CS2 alongside its CS4 brethren (InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) but that only worked for a while. Obviously mixing and matching within the Creative Suite wasn't part of the plan.

Then I came across this post. I unchecked "Advanced Drawing" under the "Enable OpenGL Drawing" and the problem disappeared--in both versions of OS X I am using (10.4.11 Tiger and 10.5.8 Leopard on an external bootable drive, on a 24" iMac, 2.16ghz, 3 gb RAM, the non-aluminum model).

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! You saved my sanity.

Hello everyone,

Concerns:

- Hackintosh Systems with Nvidia Videocards and NVInstallerV.41

- installed Adobe Photoshop CS4 Beta (maybe also Final)

Problem:

- System freezes while using "free transform", "transform" and some other functions in Photoshop CS4 (Filters are not affected)

Solution:

Photoshop CS4 is using video hardware (OpenGL) for some functions. If you get freezes while using the program, please check the following settings:

Photoshop -> Preferences -> Performance -> GPU-Settings

and deactivate the option "Enable OpenGL Drawing" - restart Photoshop

The problem is gone.

Maybe there are many more video cards and driver-combinations affected. If some one get this error, please post your hardware and driver and if my solution fixed it.

Hope someone will help this. I've tried so many ... removed RAM, switched kexts etc.

case11

THANK YOU!!!! This post saved me from insanity and/or complete despair. Been trying since August 2009 to have PShop CS4 working properly. It's working, at last.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

The first time, I thought that the problem was because the openGL and the kext..

My PC:

iAtkos v7

Nvidia 7600 gt 256 ram

NvDarwin kext installed in the installation System("Customize button")

More in my signature!

Thanks for the tip...

BUt, use Photoshop CS4 without opengl aceleration is not the best...