[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

subtexel,

It still seems to me you've got something in your extensions. Your ROM Revision is different from my (see image earlier). That makes me think you're not completely vanilla.

Regards,

SMF

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

1440x900@60 is your max I believe.

subtexel,

It still seems to me you've got something in your extensions. Your ROM Revision is different from my (see image earlier). That makes me think you're not completely vanilla.

Regards,

SMF

Did a complete re-installation with my retail DVD, and installed CoreVidia 1.1 and it solved my problem.

NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: CoreVidia 1.1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Also, the native resoltion for my laptop is 1920x1200 (It's a new E6500 with all the bells and Whistles... LED backlight etc... blah blah) Kind of sucks @ this resolution because the text is a bit small but I have tons of room on the screen :)

Everything works great now, minus the trackpad and wireless (I'm using a USB wireless card in the meantime).

I installed iAtkos 10.5.7 and sound works, wifi works, you can get full resolution by editing the boot.plist

The most annoying thing is the touchpad, has anyone made any headway on getting them both working???

Accelerated graphics would be awesome as well...

FOR EVERYONE WHO CANNOT GET THEIR TRACKPAD WORKING WITHOUT DOCK

The ApplePS2Controller.kext must be installed in /Extras/Extensions/ per zPilot's post.

It cannot go in S/L/E!!

I think this has to do with /Extras being loaded first so it avoids a conflict. I have a docking station but now no longer have to dock and undock to get the trackpad working - this is huge for portable users. Also the touchstick (eraserhead) also works now!

I have two 10.5.8 installs currently, one cannot get CE/CI enabled but can reboot and shutdown without hard power off and the other is vice-versa. Neither can sleep. I'm getting so close, but will try Snow Leopard later today.

Time machine / netflix / final cut pro fix

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=176105

Hi Everyone, first of thank you all for your contributions.

I'm pretty new to the MAC world and tried to install on Dell e6400 with Intell graphics, I have been

able to install the Leopard 10.5.6 but I can only boot into it with orig_boot132 cd that I created

and with USB keyboard and Mouse. I am going to summarize the steps I took in hopes of you guide me

into right direction. Perhaps it will provide a somewhat checklist for the newbies like myself

1 - According to the Macinized thred. I downloaded orig_boot131.iso.zip into my PC unzipped it and

found _MACOSX and orig_boot-132.iso in the root folder. I burnt the image to a CD and was able to

boot from it. Q: I never used the _MACOSX directory and files underneath. Do I need to do anything

with it?

2 - When I was able to boot into the retail 10.5.6 CD, I opened the Disk Utility and created two

partitions. Loader( 1G) and Leopard ( Rest of the Disk). Q: Do I need to to select any options, do I

need to choose Erase option, boot option etc?

3 - I was able to install the Retail 10.5.6 and booted into it by using USB keyboard and mouse and

orig_boot132 CD. Q: Before I use the MacLoader do I need to do any disk prep, changing permissions

etc on the Loader partition? My Leopard installation sees the Loader partition with a (!) next to

it. Do I need to erase, unmout etc to it?

4 - I also downloaded MacLoader5.2.1.zip and all the KEXTs. Although when I tried to view the zipped

KEXTs some of them said corrupted in my PC but I was able to unzip them. MacLoader.5.2.1 produced 2

folders _MACOSX and MacLoader5.2.1. In MacLoader5.2.1 folder, I copied all the KEXT files (they are

file folders) into KEXTs directory. I issued the macloader.command and it changed the partition name

to MacLoader but produced some errors similar to some question about UUID in this thread. Mine

produced the similar errors but did not produce a Volume name and UUID at the end of it. I tried to

do the MacLoader again this time it complained about not finding the Extras folder, or operation not

permitted error. After I tried to install one more time I'll post the errors.

One other question, how do I add KEXTs after the installation. Is it late to do it after the

installation?

5 - I tried booting the system, Chameleon showed me 2 disks, MacLoader and Leopard. When I choose

MacLoader it says cannot find the kernel, when I choose Leopard where my installation is, it says:

" You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the

Restart button.

I would highly appreciate you guys' input. I am sure I am missing some simple but crucial steps. It

could be some trivial step ( to an avid Mac User) but I cannot solve this.

Thank you,

Jack

Quick Update of my problem,

I reinstalled the Retail 10.5.6 and I was able to boot into Leopard by following these steps. I still have a problem since I still have to use USB keyboard and mouse since nothing on the laptop works, keyboard, mouse track, tracking stick, wireless etc etc. I am guessing it has something to do where I place these KEXTs. So here is what I did :

1 - I created 2 partitions MacLoader and Leopard and installed the Retail OS on Leopard partition.

2 - I downloaded MacLoader5.2.1.zip and unzipped on my PC, it produced 2 folders _MACOSX and MacLoader5.2.1. I copied them into MacLoader partition.

3 - I downloaded all the KEXT zip files, uzipped them, and put them into MacLoader5.2.1/KEXTs folder in MacLoader partition.

4 - I ran the macloader.command from same location.

5 - I rebooted and it loaded into Leopard but with nothing working, I still have to use the USB Keyboard and Mouse.

Is this the right procedure? Did I miss anything (Perhaps trivial step, but to me it is major I guess)?

How do I use the KEXTs? Did I do the right thing? Do I need to copy them into different place? Do I copy them as folders (When I unzipped them it unzips them as folders) or whats underneath them?

I also see the updater.command in MacLoader5.2.1 directory in MacLoader partition. When and for what I need to use this command.

Could somebody please guide me into right direction?

Thank you so much in advance.

Jack

Jack - for a new user I recomend you get one of the pre-packaged installers. iAtkos v7 works great. You need to install the ApplePS2 kext that several people linked to above to get the built-in track and keyboard working if you're doing a vanilla install. For what its worth this is my 3rd hackintosh and I still couldn't get the macloader way working.

Furthermore, the macloader method is outdated. Installing Chameleon to the EFI partition is preffered, no reason to introduce a 2nd boot partition with the latest chamleon.

Jack - for a new user I recomend you get one of the pre-packaged installers. iAtkos v7 works great. You need to install the ApplePS2 kext that several people linked to above to get the built-in track and keyboard working if you're doing a vanilla install. For what its worth this is my 3rd hackintosh and I still couldn't get the macloader way working.

Furthermore, the macloader method is outdated. Installing Chameleon to the EFI partition is preffered, no reason to introduce a 2nd boot partition with the latest chamleon.

Thanks for your reply, I am sorry to sound so stupid but

Where I can find the iAtkos V7 installation and guide? Can I install it since I installed MacLoader? Do I need to remove everything from that Partition ? then install iAtkos?

Other question, again forgive my ignorance, how do I install ApplePS2.kext. If I figure that out I guess I can apply the other *.kext file I found in this topic.

Would you mind outlining it as if you are talking to 5 year old :P

Network still not working. I followed the advice from TofuTodd used iAtkos and applied the patches.

Everything is working, touch pad is still jumpy but that's OK.

I cannot get the ethernet working. I used the package and change the version information in the package as it was described. ( I assume it is the place). Then installed the package. repaired the permissions. Rebooted and ethernet is still not working.

Could you guys advice?

Thanks

Jack

Guys,

What is the difference between this and OSX86 DVDs? Which one is more preferred for Dell Lat E6400 w/ nvidia 160M?

I am very new to this, is there any Step-by-step clear guide on installing OSX Leopard on Dell Lat E6400/E6500? TIA!!

Also how is the performance, is it close to actual Mac notebook?

If anyone has been having issues with getting the keyboard layout to work at the same time as the trackpad...

I merged the ApplePS2Controller.kext from iAtkos (which handles the keyboard correctly) with one earlier in the thread that handled the touchpad correctly, and now I have a proper keyboard layout + a working touchpad.

The kext earlier in the thread (along with some I've seen on other osx86 installs) is hardcoded to a ISO/European keyboard layout, while the kext on iAtkos uses the ANSI/U.S. keyboard layout (it might also be hardcoded...I'm not sure).

Has anyone managed to get sleep/wake or shutdown/restart working in 10.5.7 at the same time as the graphics card?

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

I have sleep partially working under 10.5.7 - I can use Slice's IOUSBFamily.kext files to get my laptop to go to sleep, but it will not wake for me now. This method might also be promising (or it might manage to do the same thing as Slice's method), or it could be possible that NVEnabler.kext doesn't allow me to wake my computer back up.

Any ideas?

Edit: It looks like it's actually hibernating and not resuming after applying either Slice's kext or the equivalent DSDT patch. I also did a HPET patch, which allowed me to run AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext without using Disabler.kext, but I'm still not getting sleep - just non-resumable hibernation.

Under 10.5.7, I've managed to get the sleep menu option to hibernate my computer - and wake up successfully:

-Place my modified DSDT.aml (from an E6500) in the root of your hard drive and make sure you're using a version of Chameleon that supports such. If you have an E6400, try using the IOUSBFamily.kext file mentioned above first.

-Use Natit 0.2, NOT NVEnabler. NVEnabler admits somewhere that it doesn't support the 140M, so it probably doesn't support our 160M either.

-Kill any AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disablers OR install SleepEnabler.kext. If you're using IOUSBFamily.kext, don't kill the disabler - use SleepEnabler.kext.

Remaining issues on my laptop:

-LAN does not work on wake up. However, my Dell 1510 wireless does.

-Audio buttons do not affect the volume under VoodooHDA. The audio chipset seems to be an ALC889A (8086:293e), so perhaps I simply need the right driver.

-Shutdown/Restart do not work with injectors for the 160M. Perhaps we need to look at the source code to see why it won't let us shut down.

DSDT.aml.zip

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

Hey Todd,

How did Snow Leopard work for you? I tried the GM and ran into a number of issues. With the kexts from earlier in this forum (The OP) this is my status :

Lan : Not Working

Video Card : Not Recognized (Standard 1024x768)

Wireless : Works out of the Box (dell mini-n)

Audio : Not Working

Sleep : Attempts to, never succeeds.

USB : Full Speed with a different USB kext i have.

Keyboard / Trackpad : Not working

Bluetooth : Not Working(never has in OSX, though.)

So, as you can see - my SL attempts ended in a pretty epic fail. I used the Chameleon RC2 BL with the SL boot file, and was able to get in fine.

FOR EVERYONE WHO CANNOT GET THEIR TRACKPAD WORKING WITHOUT DOCK

The ApplePS2Controller.kext must be installed in /Extras/Extensions/ per zPilot's post.

It cannot go in S/L/E!!

I think this has to do with /Extras being loaded first so it avoids a conflict. I have a docking station but now no longer have to dock and undock to get the trackpad working - this is huge for portable users. Also the touchstick (eraserhead) also works now!

I have two 10.5.8 installs currently, one cannot get CE/CI enabled but can reboot and shutdown without hard power off and the other is vice-versa. Neither can sleep. I'm getting so close, but will try Snow Leopard later today.

Time machine / netflix / final cut pro fix

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=176105

Are you using Chameleon RC2? If not, What?

(i thought with RC2 injectors were discouraged)

Under 10.5.7, I've managed to get the sleep menu option to hibernate my computer - and wake up successfully:

-Place my modified DSDT.aml (from an E6500) in the root of your hard drive and make sure you're using a version of Chameleon that supports such. If you have an E6400, try using the IOUSBFamily.kext file mentioned above first.

-Use Natit 0.2, NOT NVEnabler. NVEnabler admits somewhere that it doesn't support the 140M, so it probably doesn't support our 160M either.

-Kill any AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disablers OR install SleepEnabler.kext. If you're using IOUSBFamily.kext, don't kill the disabler - use SleepEnabler.kext.

Remaining issues on my laptop:

-LAN does not work on wake up. However, my Dell 1510 wireless does.

-Audio buttons do not affect the volume under VoodooHDA. The audio chipset seems to be an ALC889A (8086:293e), so perhaps I simply need the right driver.

-Shutdown/Restart do not work with injectors for the 160M. Perhaps we need to look at the source code to see why it won't let us shut down.

Go here to get the audio kexts that allow volume control and that don't crackle.

Unrelated Edit: The computer is actually sleeping - but it is simultaneously preparing for "deep sleep": hibernation. My advice is that until we discover how to shut down/restart properly, disable deep sleep since it will want to shut down the computer.

Something about RC2 having the native ability to do something like EFI Strings. I couldn't get it to work using just RC2, so just dropped back down from tying Snow Leopard, and used your method for video with RC1, and i'm running great. Smoother than with the NVDarwin the OP Kext's have (i think thats what was there)

I am...but I'm not familiar with this issue. Why shouldn't we use injectors?

Something about RC2 having the native ability to do something like EFI Strings. I couldn't get it to work using just RC2, so just dropped back down from tying Snow Leopard, and used your method for video with RC1, and i'm running great. Smoother than with the NVDarwin the OP Kext's have (i think thats what was there)

Hi Doomi,

I have a question. Were you able to get the trackpad working properly. I installed via Retail DVD, and then RC2, I even go t the 10.5.8 update working for me and waiting for my snow Leopard update CD.

I have 2 problems, Trackpad works erraticaly jumps all over the place, and I never got my display working. I have Intel Express 4 Chipset for the display.

Let me know if you have any pointers for me?

Thanks

Doomi, I thought I got snow leopard mostly working except for the same issues affecting 10.5.8 but I got random KPs which was a deal breaker. I now see tons of posts about the KPs and apparent solutions (permissions issue or possible UUID mismatch).

I may try again this weekend, or just want for a non-retail install dvd which should be any day i suspect. plus with phoenix's progress on sleep, I may be more inclined to try 10.5.7 again, i just hope no apps I use require 10.5.8.

Phoenix - you mention you had sleep and wake working from the apple menu, but in a latter post you seem to admit you can't get sleep and gfx acceleration to work at the same time. Which statement is true because if you have sleep and QE/CI enabled then I will retry 10.5.7 per your instructions.

the graphics and shutdown issue seem to be a one or the other, can't have your cake and eat it to but I am not an expert.

I am learning there are subtledifferences between installing Cham RC2 on the boot partition vs EFI partition. It seems the injector strings of RC2 don't like to work when installed to a boot partition (not the EFI partition). However some kexts don't appear to load properly via the EFI paritions Extras folder. Essentially, it seems at least one essential kext doesn't load properly between EFI/Extras, Boot/Extras, or S/L/E so I am having frustrating results. For example, my machine is 100% sans keyboard and touchpad currently (without sleep and shutdown of course).

Maybe RC1 is the answer.... I'll try again tonight.

Phoenix - you mention you had sleep and wake working from the apple menu, but in a latter post you seem to admit you can't get sleep and gfx acceleration to work at the same time. Which statement is true because if you have sleep and QE/CI enabled then I will retry 10.5.7 per your instructions.

I've got Sleep + QE/CI working at about 95%. Every once in a while it will refuse to sleep on me, but I think it's usually due to trying to wake and then immediately sleep the machine.

the graphics and shutdown issue seem to be a one or the other, can't have your cake and eat it to but I am not an expert.

Lol, yea, that's where I'm at. If I could find the Natit 0.2 source, it might give me some ideas about this problem. In the meantime, don't forget to disable "deep sleep".

Just a quick note to say that I have gotten most things working on my e6500 now in Snow Leopard apart from the Wireless.

I followed this guide, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=180954 and then I used kexthelper b7 to install the kexts in this thread.

Most of the kexts out there for our hardware does not have 64bit support yet. so to get trackpad, audio etc working I had to boot using the 32bit kernel.

Cool , I have 10.5.7 working with sleep per Phoenix's guide in post 165. I installed via iAtkos and didn't need to modify my DSDT.aml, I used the IOUSBFamily.kext and SleepEnabler.kexts per his instructions. You rock Phoenix!

Shutdown / restart still doesn't work of course. All my kexts were installed to S/L/E and I am using chamleon 1 (not to be confused with Cham 2 RC1).

I used the NVdarwin package on the iatkos dvd, CE/QI enabled from first boot.

Fredde, does sleep work in 10.6? Without shutdown and sleep not working the machine will be very annoying to use and you always have to hard power off after every session. In fact, I would rather have sleep than shutdown.

don't forget to install AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext in addition to phoenix's ApplePS2 kext to get trackpad and keyboard working

Go it all working (sans shutdown of course)! reinstalled the SDHC card reader kext, installed the HDA IDT kext (forget to install that, not part of the kext package phoenix refers to). Warning, the machine will freeze on wakeup if you have a SDHC card in, so you have to remember to eject your SD card to sleep. I think someone wrote a script somewhere that ejects removable drivers prior to sleep, but too lazy to look for that now!