• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

zPilott

zPilott

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I have only gotten sleep to work with the voodoo kernel and some changed kexts. Before the kexts, when I went into sleep, the computer would lock up. After the kexts, with the vanilla kernel, the computer would go to sleep, but wake up immediately (in the log you could see the wakeup event).

I attached my current kexts a while back. The computer won't auto sleep when closing the display, but will sleep due to inactivity or by pressing Fn+F1.

I am still running 10.5.6, but hopefully with the advise on this thread, I will be moving to 10.5.7 soon (actually reinstalling to a new bigger drive...)

gatorgolfer11

gatorgolfer11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
i've got a couple things to comment on:

1) has anyone read about and/or tried this: VoodooPS2Controller.kext
(google it, they won't let me add the link)

it says that it supports ALPS and has multi touch capabilities (i might try it later)

2) i want to dual boot with ubuntu. i already have OS X installed on a GUID partition scheme w/ cham 2.0 as the bootloader. I was thinking i might be able to install ubuntu w/o GRUB and link it to cham, but i'm not sure how and i'm not that good in terminal. another option would be to install GRUB on the ubuntu partion and chain the two bootloaders together; again, i'm not quite sure how to accomplish that.

has anyone here done something similar or know of a good guide for this?

UPDATE:
i found a quick and easy guide to installing ubuntu with my set up. 9.04 runs flawlessly with cham2.0. if anyone wants the guide let me know, but not gonna do it now. it's time for bed!

Pendekar

Pendekar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
gatorgolfer! i want that guide.. :unsure:

gatorgolfer11

gatorgolfer11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
@Pendekar

The guide that I found was on the DailyBlogged and was posted by Thomas.
(I'd add a link, but the forum isn't cooperating. Also, I made some adjustments. Way easier my way :D )

As always, you should probably back up your hdd before you start.

1) Use you favorite method of setting up your partitions. I just used GParted on the Live CD I installed from. You only need one new partition for Ubuntu. Pay attention to the partition name (i.e. /dev/sdaX, where X is some number).

2)Run the install program, and select your new partion for the install and go through everything just like a normal install.

READ THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE INSTALL MENU!!!
This is the part that keeps everything simple. At step 7 of the install, click on advanced in the bottom right of the window. In the new window that opens up, change the install location of the GRUB loader to the same partition you 're installing ubuntu. This will prevent GRUB from messing anything up.

3)Now start the install. When it is finished, reboot. When I did this part, I had to use the Boot-132 disk to get back to OS X. I read that sometimes Chameleon will still load. I dunno.

4)Once you are back in OS X reinstall Cham2.0. You shouldn't have to reinstall your kext or anything.

5)Reboot again. Cham should show up with options to boot into OS X or Linux.

Let me know if there are any questions.

As a note:
I have a random fat16 partition showing up in cham2.0. I not sure where it came from. If someone has the same thing happen let me know. i'm going to see what i can do about it.

Also, does anyone know about that voodooPS2Controller?

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:dell 6000 , asus p4pe,
10.5.7 install

preample: 10.5.6 working, sleep/wake, -> trackpad only after sleep/wake or dock cycle,...

fast install:
disk: have 1,2,3 partition for osx boot testing partition 4 for user and apps 320gb
ssd,... have external esata 2.5 / 3.5 adapter, install on other disk, and swap drives

ipc 10.5.6 DL from iso, install from running system, no need to boot from scratch, makes it faster,
also easier to patch, rerun installer and only select the new/changed stuff, or do a manual kext patch,
unfortunatly, osxtools, only wants to patch the running system,.... don't know how to point to a different install,...
anybody knows ?

10.5.7 results
sleep/wake not working vanilla or voodo
trackpad, big mess,... since it's not working, and sleep/wake not working, show stopper, nogo for a laptop
nvidia,... works, docking dvi, displayport works, nv 0.2 or osxtools kext
keyboard needs patch,... voodo ps2 promissing,... had not had a chance to test,
if that could fix the trackpad, that be great.

argh,... so new mac's are out,... 7hr batteries,.... cool,... same screen rez ? rrrr,
now that I'am used to the e-docking,.... boot from ssd in 15ec,... and have 500gb in dvd tray,...
it's hard to make the point,... snow-leopard be 30 buck extra,... other that that,...
if it's going to be smaller,... still want a higher rez screen,... the 14z would smaller, no dvd, single drive ?
no docking,...hmm

gatorgolfer11

gatorgolfer11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
i did get a few minutes the other day to tinker with the voodooPS2 but to no avail. track pad never responded and in one instance it was registering a stuck key(couldn't tell which one because it was typing in my login screen). i am going to try it again a bit later.

right now, i am going to install the dell 1397(just came in today) and see if i can get some wifi in os x. can i have 2 wlan cards installed at the same time in this laptop, cuz ubuntu supports my 5100 with wireless n?

UPDATE:
I just installed the wifi card and used the wifi setup posted by pendakar. worked great!!! I'm now wireless.

thanks a ton!

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:dell 6000 , asus p4pe,
dell 1510n works , with draft n,...
dell 1397 should work too.

also got an , apple 10/100 ethernet usb adapter, and a gigabit usb adapter,
since the ethernet gets messed up after sleep/wake .
maybe I need some clean kexts.

RLE01

RLE01

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So how did you get the keyboard working? I cannot get mine... i installed all the kexts you attached. Help?!

kirimaru89

kirimaru89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have installed kalyway 10.5.2 and everything work ok except quadro nvs 160m and audio.
Can anyone let me know how to install quadro nvs 160 driver to work perfect on mac os?
And how to set up sound card driver?
Thanks

gatorgolfer11

gatorgolfer11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
@RLE01

How did you do your install and what method are you using to boot into os x? The ApplePS2Controller.kext and Apple...NUB.kext.(i don't remeber the full name)

@kirimaru89

the only way i've been able to get the graphics to work properly is using the retail install and pendekar's instructions for setting up the drivers. as for the sound, the AppleHDA.kext should work just fine. install it using Kext Helper or OSx86 Tools. Just look through the posts to find links to the files you need.

Marence

Marence

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Using a retail 10.5.1 installation, I've been able to get up to 10.5.6 safely on E6500 w/ NV160M. Haven't tried to update 10.5.7 yet until I get a second working partition to play with.

The kexts I used were from the DMG attached somewhere in this thread, I think by zPilott. ACPI battery, PS2 controllers, HDA, NVdarwin, and NV universal installer. Keyboard, touchpad minus scroll, wireless/ethernet, Quartz Extreme all working, no sleep/shutdown/restart as usual. With a second partition, I'll likely check out how the voodoo kernel performs.

Interesting thing to note is that with 10.5.6 comes an AirPort patch that automatically detected the 1510 wifi adapter, didn't need any bash scripting.

yeye

yeye

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
Hello,
I plan to buy a Latitude E4200, in addition of the VOSTRO 1700 Hackintosh that I already have. In the E4200, there is no graphic card, so it'll be the intel 4500. Is it gonna be a problem?
Moreover, could you modify the first post and sum up all you managed to get working!? That will be good for everyone!
Does someone know if Bluetooth DELL 365 is working out of the box?

Thanks

zPilott

zPilott

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

With a second partition, I'll likely check out how the voodoo kernel performs.

You can try out the voodoo kernel real easily by just putting it on your HD somewhere and booting with it by typing kernel='xxxx'. It is really easy just to try it out without making any permanent/hard to undo changes. Sleep is just too important (for me at least) to do without.

@yeye: I think if you read/search a little bit your answers will be revealed.

Paddy78

Paddy78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I used to have problems getting my internal Mic (on Latitude E6400) working properly. Finally I fixed it by using this kext:
http://www.insanelym...p...0&p=1016339
The input level control is still not working but apart from that it seems fine.

Just wanted to share this with you guys who might have the same problem.

aquanutz

aquanutz

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've been trying the NVDarwin kext posted earlier in this thread but no dice. Kernel Panic each time. Also my Boot-132 disc would not work so I just installed iDeneb 10.5.6 which went fine until I installed NVDarwin.

Anyone try NVKush with this card?

aidsget

aidsget

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I used to have problems getting my internal Mic (on Latitude E6400) working properly. Finally I fixed it by using this kext:
http://www.insanelym...p...0&p=1016339
The input level control is still not working but apart from that it seems fine.

Just wanted to share this with you guys who might have the same problem.

Nice! Now I've got everything working (keyboard, touchpad, trackpoint, audio, wireless, graphics) EXCEPT for the webcam... Can anyone help me out?

Misc info: Installed using XxX Leopard 10.5.5, rolled up to 10.5.6, installed the kexts provided in this thread, then moved up to 10.5.7. On a Latitude e6400.

Edit: Webcam works now! It was working all along I think. I just thought it wasn't working because it wouldn't show on stickam or photobooth. Turns out that the reason Photobooth wasn't starting was because my graphics card wasn't configured correctly. I installed NVdarwin and the Nvidia Universal Installer, and this enabled Quartz Extreme. That let me start up Photobooth. As for stickam, I just overlooked something stupid. The default camera was set up to the wrong one! I had to edit the Adobe Flash Player settings (Right click in the window>Settings>Webcam Icon>Change webcam to 'USB Video Class Video')

Thanks, this thread helped me a ton! Now if I could only get sleep/shutdown to work right, this hackintosh would be perfect :unsure:

Reinsnitz

Reinsnitz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've got everything working but the graphics... and when I follow the directions... it always seems to bugger my install... (still can boot from CD, but not from boot partition)... the directions seem to assume that you know what OP and other terms mean... yet no links provided to tools... I think I have found them... but am not 100% sure... will try again and post more specific results...

In the meantime though... if it's a simple process... would it be possible for someone to post more simplified directions on just getting the video working? :star_smile:

Danke!

aidsget

aidsget

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I've got everything working but the graphics... and when I follow the directions... it always seems to bugger my install... (still can boot from CD, but not from boot partition)... the directions seem to assume that you know what OP and other terms mean... yet no links provided to tools... I think I have found them... but am not 100% sure... will try again and post more specific results...

In the meantime though... if it's a simple process... would it be possible for someone to post more simplified directions on just getting the video working? :)

Danke!

OP stands for Original Poster. Meaning, go to the first post, and download the kexts the first poster/thread maker provided

apart from that, I googled for NVidia universal installer and NVdarwin, but if you want, I'll upload them for you in one .zip

Fall_leaf

Fall_leaf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
If Windows XP Pro was already running in IRRT mode, how you can switch it to AHCI mode and still boot it w/o BSOD?

I have E6400 and I got BSOD everytime once I switch from IRRT to AHCI in BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If Windows XP Pro was already running in IRRT mode, how you can switch it to AHCI mode and still boot it w/o BSOD?

I have E6400 and I got BSOD everytime once I switch from IRRT to AHCI in BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Fall_Leaf - You shouldn't need to worrying about IRRT or AHCI. I have OS X installed with my dual boot Vista Latitude E6400 on IRRT. Both os'es see the drive fine. But the reason it's BSOD is dues to an incorrect driver. Go to Dell and get the Intel Matrix Driver for the E-series laptop and install. This will give you both drivers and should let you switch back and forth like an OEM install. But I like IRRT and keep it there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy