[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

i did get a few minutes the other day to tinker with the voodooPS2 but to no avail. track pad never responded and in one instance it was registering a stuck key(couldn't tell which one because it was typing in my login screen). i am going to try it again a bit later.

right now, i am going to install the dell 1397(just came in today) and see if i can get some wifi in os x. can i have 2 wlan cards installed at the same time in this laptop, cuz ubuntu supports my 5100 with wireless n?

UPDATE:

I just installed the wifi card and used the wifi setup posted by pendakar. worked great!!! I'm now wireless.

thanks a ton!

dell 1510n works , with draft n,...

dell 1397 should work too.

also got an , apple 10/100 ethernet usb adapter, and a gigabit usb adapter,

since the ethernet gets messed up after sleep/wake .

maybe I need some clean kexts.

@RLE01

How did you do your install and what method are you using to boot into os x? The ApplePS2Controller.kext and Apple...NUB.kext.(i don't remeber the full name)

@kirimaru89

the only way i've been able to get the graphics to work properly is using the retail install and pendekar's instructions for setting up the drivers. as for the sound, the AppleHDA.kext should work just fine. install it using Kext Helper or OSx86 Tools. Just look through the posts to find links to the files you need.

• 4 weeks later...

Using a retail 10.5.1 installation, I've been able to get up to 10.5.6 safely on E6500 w/ NV160M. Haven't tried to update 10.5.7 yet until I get a second working partition to play with.

The kexts I used were from the DMG attached somewhere in this thread, I think by zPilott. ACPI battery, PS2 controllers, HDA, NVdarwin, and NV universal installer. Keyboard, touchpad minus scroll, wireless/ethernet, Quartz Extreme all working, no sleep/shutdown/restart as usual. With a second partition, I'll likely check out how the voodoo kernel performs.

Interesting thing to note is that with 10.5.6 comes an AirPort patch that automatically detected the 1510 wifi adapter, didn't need any bash scripting.

Hello,

I plan to buy a Latitude E4200, in addition of the VOSTRO 1700 Hackintosh that I already have. In the E4200, there is no graphic card, so it'll be the intel 4500. Is it gonna be a problem?

Moreover, could you modify the first post and sum up all you managed to get working!? That will be good for everyone!

Does someone know if Bluetooth DELL 365 is working out of the box?

Thanks

With a second partition, I'll likely check out how the voodoo kernel performs.

You can try out the voodoo kernel real easily by just putting it on your HD somewhere and booting with it by typing kernel='xxxx'. It is really easy just to try it out without making any permanent/hard to undo changes. Sleep is just too important (for me at least) to do without.

@yeye: I think if you read/search a little bit your answers will be revealed.

I've been trying the NVDarwin kext posted earlier in this thread but no dice. Kernel Panic each time. Also my Boot-132 disc would not work so I just installed iDeneb 10.5.6 which went fine until I installed NVDarwin.

Anyone try NVKush with this card?

I used to have problems getting my internal Mic (on Latitude E6400) working properly. Finally I fixed it by using this kext:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...0&p=1016339

The input level control is still not working but apart from that it seems fine.

Just wanted to share this with you guys who might have the same problem.

Nice! Now I've got everything working (keyboard, touchpad, trackpoint, audio, wireless, graphics) EXCEPT for the webcam... Can anyone help me out?

Misc info: Installed using XxX Leopard 10.5.5, rolled up to 10.5.6, installed the kexts provided in this thread, then moved up to 10.5.7. On a Latitude e6400.

Edit: Webcam works now! It was working all along I think. I just thought it wasn't working because it wouldn't show on stickam or photobooth. Turns out that the reason Photobooth wasn't starting was because my graphics card wasn't configured correctly. I installed NVdarwin and the Nvidia Universal Installer, and this enabled Quartz Extreme. That let me start up Photobooth. As for stickam, I just overlooked something stupid. The default camera was set up to the wrong one! I had to edit the Adobe Flash Player settings (Right click in the window>Settings>Webcam Icon>Change webcam to 'USB Video Class Video')

Thanks, this thread helped me a ton! Now if I could only get sleep/shutdown to work right, this hackintosh would be perfect :unsure:

I've got everything working but the graphics... and when I follow the directions... it always seems to bugger my install... (still can boot from CD, but not from boot partition)... the directions seem to assume that you know what OP and other terms mean... yet no links provided to tools... I think I have found them... but am not 100% sure... will try again and post more specific results...

In the meantime though... if it's a simple process... would it be possible for someone to post more simplified directions on just getting the video working? :star_smile:

Danke!

I've got everything working but the graphics... and when I follow the directions... it always seems to bugger my install... (still can boot from CD, but not from boot partition)... the directions seem to assume that you know what OP and other terms mean... yet no links provided to tools... I think I have found them... but am not 100% sure... will try again and post more specific results...

In the meantime though... if it's a simple process... would it be possible for someone to post more simplified directions on just getting the video working? :)

Danke!

OP stands for Original Poster. Meaning, go to the first post, and download the kexts the first poster/thread maker provided

apart from that, I googled for NVidia universal installer and NVdarwin, but if you want, I'll upload them for you in one .zip

If Windows XP Pro was already running in IRRT mode, how you can switch it to AHCI mode and still boot it w/o BSOD?

I have E6400 and I got BSOD everytime once I switch from IRRT to AHCI in BIOS.

Thanks in advance.

Fall_Leaf - You shouldn't need to worrying about IRRT or AHCI. I have OS X installed with my dual boot Vista Latitude E6400 on IRRT. Both os'es see the drive fine. But the reason it's BSOD is dues to an incorrect driver. Go to Dell and get the Intel Matrix Driver for the E-series laptop and install. This will give you both drivers and should let you switch back and forth like an OEM install. But I like IRRT and keep it there.

I have the NVidia Quadro NVS 160M on an E6500 and couldn't get graphics to work until Chameleon 2 RC2 (I tried everything but a device property string - I was going to do that but Chameleon came along). It's built in graphics enabler does the trick perfectly - graphics are recognized and QE/CI work. Need no mods to stock 10.5.6/.7 Nvidia kexts and nothing in EFI partition for graphics.

SMF

post-106904-1248999947_thumb.png

I have the NVidia Quadro NVS 160M on an E6500 and couldn't get graphics to work until Chameleon 2 RC2 (I tried everything but a device property string - I was going to do that but Chameleon came along). It's built in graphics enabler does the trick perfectly - graphics are recognized and QE/CI work. Need no mods to stock 10.5.6/.7 Nvidia kexts and nothing in EFI partition for graphics.

SMF

I just installed Cham 2 rc2 and I get nothing. Is there anything special needed after installing?

During the Chameleon install (using the installer) select "Customize" when you get to the Installation Type screen. This will allow you to select "Options" and then "GraphicsEnabler". You can manually set this in your com.apple.boot.plist now that you already have it installed rather than rerunning the install if you find that easier. Take a look at the attached doc file for the "manual" settings.

Regards,

SMF

BootHelp.txt

I can not get my QE/CI to work on my 160M... Tried everything in this forum (using iDeneb 1.4) I'm still @ 10.5.6...

Installed Cham 2.0RC2 and it got my resolution to the correct settings but still no QE/CI...

Unknown NVIDIA Card:

Chipset Model: Unknown NVIDIA Card

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVdarwin 1.2.5

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T9800 @

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 6 MB

CPU Features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM SSE3 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.02 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MB21.88Z.00A5.B07.0707251237 (Apple Computer, Inc.)

Serial Number: CK034KMHK5B

Computer is an E6500, any ideas???

SubTexel,

Have you updated to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7? In my poking around (prior to Chameleon 2 RC 2) I recall that 10.5.6 had some new graphics frameworks for NVidia that were needed. On my install I used a boot-132 install and a 10.5.6 retail dvd to install (since updated to 10.5.7) so all my graphics kexts are vanilla. You might want to check that you have no graphics enablers installed in your extensions (or extra folder if you are using and EFI install). I would expect since you are using iDeneb that you have a graphics enabler (nvinject or other) installed. If you are using an EFI (device properties) string in your com.apple.boot.plist instead of a graphics enabler that needs to be removed as well.

So - what I have working is a vanilla Leopard install with no modified graphics kexts, no EFI strings, and no graphics injector - just C2RC2 with graphicsenabler set.

Regards,

SMF

SubTexel,

Have you updated to 10.5.6 or 10.5.7? In my poking around (prior to Chameleon 2 RC 2) I recall that 10.5.6 had some new graphics frameworks for NVidia that were needed. On my install I used a boot-132 install and a 10.5.6 retail dvd to install (since updated to 10.5.7) so all my graphics kexts are vanilla. You might want to check that you have no graphics enablers installed in your extensions (or extra folder if you are using and EFI install). I would expect since you are using iDeneb that you have a graphics enabler (nvinject or other) installed. If you are using an EFI (device properties) string in your com.apple.boot.plist instead of a graphics enabler that needs to be removed as well.

So - what I have working is a vanilla Leopard install with no modified graphics kexts, no EFI strings, and no graphics injector - just C2RC2 with graphicsenabler set.

Regards,

SMF

Yeah, I just upgraded from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 recently using the iDeneb update. I am also using NVDarwin right now, with the Chameleon 2RC2 nvidia string option enabled. But no dice, wonder if I can grab the kexts from my retail DVD (not too keen on wiping this laptop just for QE/CI..) Also wish the damn trackpad would work instead of being all jumpy...

Yeah, I just upgraded from 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 recently using the iDeneb update. I am also using NVDarwin right now, with the Chameleon 2RC2 nvidia string option enabled. But no dice, wonder if I can grab the kexts from my retail DVD (not too keen on wiping this laptop just for QE/CI..) Also wish the damn trackpad would work instead of being all jumpy...

Chameleon 2RC2 is not to be used with custom kexts... use it with a vanilla install to get video working

Chameleon 2RC2 is not to be used with custom kexts... use it with a vanilla install to get video working

Reinstalled it, and still no dice... (Both Chameleon and OS X)

Also tried using my Retail DVD for installation, got everything working but QE/CI. So, I have a vanilla system and still no QE/CI, this is my output now on a 10.5.7 installation:

nVidia Quadro NVS 160M:

Chipset Model: nVidia Quadro NVS 160M

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06eb

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: 0x

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

Need help. Following Blackosx guide and can get through steps 1-8. At that point I should hit F8 to get to Chameleon's boot option. The issue is nothing happen when I pressed F8. I see the GA-EP45-DS3L disk but nothing else. At that point I'm assuming I should see the partition where I install Mac OS X. Anyone has any idea of what is happening, there is obviously something wrong with my system (or me!) I just can't figure it out...