Graphics: Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
Wifi: Intel Wifi 5100
Bluetooth: NO
Screen: 14" 1440x900 LED
Battery: 9 Cell
Keyboard: Backlit
Webcam+Mic: Yes

The deal with the WiFi--
After about a month of dealing with eithernet cables, I just went and bought a dell 1397 card on ebay (about $15) and plugged it into the Wi-Max slot. Not a super-easy thing, as the slot is full height and the card is half-height, but it works. Alternatively, just swap it out for the Intel card if you want.

What still doesn't work for me:

Trackpad (Touchpad) - Really a nagging issue. I've spent literally hours looking through various ApplePS2Trackpad kexts for ALPS trackpads. Everything fails to work correctly, but I've pinpointed the issue: the trackpad is simply extremely sensitive. If we could find some way to fix that, we would be all set. [NOTE: the built-in Trackpad PrefPane DOES NOT help]

Sleep/Wake - Computer is never fully able to wake up from sleep. Not a huge issue, though.
Shutdown/Restart - Proper shutdown of all components EXCEPT motherboard occurs - however, full turn-off requires holding down power button for a few seconds.

Does anyone have any good solutions for the trackpad issue? Any further stuff I can try to work with? I'm really desperate, so I'll try pretty much anything.

RookieDDZ

RookieDDZ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

how did y'all get the sound running,

and also the gpu?

i got the wifi,ethernet running but the gpu, and sound have stumped me

AppleNbox - how did you get the wifi working? I'm running a 5300 but it is very close to the the 5100.

monsi

monsi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My Specs:

working:
- CPU: Core 2 Duo P9500 2.53 Ghz
- RAM: 4 GB DDR2
- GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M
- HDD: 250 GB @ 7200RPM
- Sound: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC
- Mic: Yes
- DVD: PLDS DVD+-RW DU-8A2S ATA Device
- LAN: Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
- WebCam: Creative Technology Ltd. Integrated Webcam
- Screen: 14" 1440x900 LED
- Battery: 9 Cell
- Keyboard: Backlit

Not working:
- WLAN: Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN
- Bluetooth: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card
- GPS: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard GPS Port
- Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
- Broadcom USH CV w/ Fingerprint Swipe Sensor
- Touchpad: Dell Touchpad (ALPS)
- OSX: Sleep/Restart/Shutdown

Not tested:
- Firewire: RICOH OHCI IEEE 1394-Hostcontroller
- 3G+: Dell Wireless 5530 HSPA Mobile Broadband Minicard NetworkAdapter

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:dell 6000 , asus p4pe,
10.5.6 update

anybody tried ?

the update, screwed up the keyboard, sleep wake shutdown don't work,....
ideneb 10.5.6 no sleep, keyboard, touchpad problem,....
next ipc ,.... so far , not good, definitly need sleep/wake,
also be nice, to have time machine, and netflix, .....
definitly , need the keyboard, and touchpad ,... touchpad , anybody got it to work, from first boot ?
any progress, on scrolling,...

x2beach

x2beach

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I have a Dell M4400 and have the same issues

NO touchpad sucks.. if I even touch mine its goes nutz

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
perfect touchpad fix

http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1098649

Posted Image

not really, since you can't close the laptop, have cables,... velcro, perfect hack,...

really need to find some touchpad drivers to modify, to get that fixed !
lets dig those out.

ekahsm

ekahsm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
no updates on this?
Everything seems to be working fine from this tutorial except:

1) Bluetooth 370
2) Wireless Intel - need to swap out to an older Dell 1390 or Dell 1510n
3) Keyboard / Touchpad!!! -< this is the killer..... need ALPS drivers

Doomi

Doomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
after installing 10.5.6 vanilla updates... add these to gain a working keyboard and trackpad.

http://www.insanelym...t=#entry1024130

Doomi

Doomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
After some experimentation i figured out what REALLY fixes the Trackpad.

After posting the information about the ps2 kexts, i rebooted my computer off the docking station while trying to fix sleep (which i have sucessfully- minus the ability to have it sleep when you close the lid), after which the trackpad resumed spazzing. Long story short, i discovered that if you turn the laptop on, boot into OSX, THEN dock it, the trackpad will act normally.

Now, onto fixing the audio so it outputs from the headphones and getting dual monitors to work....

After some experimentation i figured out what REALLY fixes the Trackpad.

After posting the information about the ps2 kexts, i rebooted my computer off the docking station while trying to fix sleep (which i have sucessfully- minus the ability to have it sleep when you close the lid), after which the trackpad resumed spazzing. Long story short, i discovered that if you turn the laptop on, boot into OSX, THEN dock it, the trackpad will act normally.

Now, onto fixing the audio so it outputs from the headphones and getting dual monitors to work....
(i keep getting a database error when trying to post this, sorry if it appears more than once)

dinsdale

dinsdale

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Regarding the Touchpad - I had problems on Linux too with this touchpad. Side scrolling would work until the driver crashed and fell back on a "generic" driver without acceleration. Apparently the Syntaptics Touchpad has a weired 9 byte code it sends which confuses the current alps driver. It would be already great to have the generic driver working (without acceleration) under MacOSX.

I still have problems getting Quartz Extreme to work. I tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to change. There is little information to the NVS 160m card which apparently uses a 9300 GS chipset. Here is what happens in a dmesg output. It gets proped by NVDarwin although I deleted the NVDarwin.kext in my Extension Directory. Can anyone give me some advice here please, I'm getting frustrated?

Couldn't alloc class "NVDA"
Couldn't alloc class "NVKernel"
NVdarwin: Probing.
NVdarwin: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
NVdarwin: Setting @0,device_type=display
NVdarwin: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000
NVdarwin: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A
NVdarwin: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac
NVdarwin: Setting @1,device_type=display
NVdarwin: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B
NVdarwin: Setting @2,compatible=NVDA,sensor-parent
NVdarwin: Setting @2,device_type=NVDA,gpu-diode
NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwctrl-params-version=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwsensor-params-version=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting @2,name=sensor-parent
NVdarwin: Setting @2,reg=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting NVPM=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>
NVdarwin: Setting device_type=NVDA,GeForce
NVdarwin: Setting name=NVDA,Parent
NVdarwin: Setting rom-revision=NVdarwin 1.2.3
NVdarwin: Setting model=Unknown NVIDIA Card

dinsdale

dinsdale

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Regarding the Touchpad - I had problems on Linux too with this touchpad. Side scrolling would work until the driver crashed and fell back on a "generic" driver without acceleration. Apparently the Syntaptics Touchpad has a weired 9 byte code it sends which confuses the current alps driver. It would be already great to have the generic driver working (without acceleration) under MacOSX.

I still have problems getting Quartz Extreme to work. I tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to change. There is little information to the NVS 160m card which apparently uses a 9300 GS chipset. Here is what happens in a dmesg output. It gets proped by NVDarwin although I deleted the NVDarwin.kext in my Extension Directory. Can anyone give me some advice here please, I'm getting frustrated?

Doomi

Doomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

See above for my solution on the touchpad.

As for the video drivers, i tried several different avenues - EFI Strings, etc - to no avail.
I am running chameleon, with a vanilla install. Right now i am using most of the kexts that the author of this post put up for 10.5.5, video card included. I think i had to remove one or two kext controllers for the video to not kick a black screen - try removing all video related kexts except for the NVDarwin kext.

ekahsm

ekahsm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

See above for my solution on the touchpad.

As for the video drivers, i tried several different avenues - EFI Strings, etc - to no avail.
I am running chameleon, with a vanilla install. Right now i am using most of the kexts that the author of this post put up for 10.5.5, video card included. I think i had to remove one or two kext controllers for the video to not kick a black screen - try removing all video related kexts except for the NVDarwin kext.

Hmm but the current solution involves either sleep/rewake or dock/redock. What if I do not have a docking station......? If it's working after these steps you posted, there must be something that interferes with it in the first place. I have my first experience with Dell OSX with Latitude D430, and if i remembered correctly, i had to go in and delete the ps2controller.kext for some reason.....and then the trackpad/stick will work.....which i thought was very interesting..

zPilott

zPilott

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I finally got the Dualpoint working tonight. I downloaded the source from http://www.insanelym...showtopic=21952 and compiled it. When I installed it to my boot partition (I am using Chameleon) my touchstick stopped working, and the touchpad was still crazy (but less bad, i guess). Then I tried deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and then rebuit my chameleon Extensions.mkext and now they both work. I am going to see if I can get 1 finger scrolling etc. next.

I think there should be some way to make it work without deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Now if I could just get sleep/restart/shutdown to work I would have everything I need.

Attached Files

spacemonk

spacemonk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
nice work.
thx

Doomi

Doomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
I'll give the trackpad fix a whirl.

I tried the 10.5.7 update with Chameleon, and kept getting the grey screen at boot(boot-132 would still work though) so i nuked and went back to 10.5.6. (just incase anyone was curious about 10.5.7)

I also still have a curious issue - LAN doesn't work after waking from sleep (and sleep has to be induced manually, not via the lid closing) Any solutions for the LAN issue?(i can live with invoking sleep).

I don't have a clue why the Dock fixes the trackpad, i just noticed it did - since i usually have my laptop docked at work and use an external mouse and keyboard, the trackpad issue isn't a dealbreaker for me in either case.

Update - that Trackpad kext works like a charm. No deleting necessary.

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
for lan, got the usb ethernet adapter,....
at BB,... got tired of the lan issue,...
otherwith , I use the single boot, and dock,
and usb mouse,..... since lan, works, but trackpad is toast,......

would like to got 10.5.6 even 10.5.7,.... but don't want to give up sleep/wake,...
and the touch pad is a biggy too.....
could think of living with it,... even velcro back the usb touchpad,...
but as soon as the new ones , ship, with snowleopard,... I might bite,...
litle tired of these chases,... desktops fine,... laptops still suck,..
oh, thought, the mac pro is no sloutch,... but think a macbook pro with an
decent ssd,... and an expresscard dual esata, is definitly a worthy contenter,... do loose the dock,...
I'll give 10.5.7 combo a shot, on the weekend,.. and see how far it goes

Doomi

Doomi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

for lan, got the usb ethernet adapter,....
at BB,... got tired of the lan issue,...
otherwith , I use the single boot, and dock,
and usb mouse,..... since lan, works, but trackpad is toast,......

would like to got 10.5.6 even 10.5.7,.... but don't want to give up sleep/wake,...
and the touch pad is a biggy too.....
could think of living with it,... even velcro back the usb touchpad,...
but as soon as the new ones , ship, with snowleopard,... I might bite,...
litle tired of these chases,... desktops fine,... laptops still suck,..
oh, thought, the mac pro is no sloutch,... but think a macbook pro with an
decent ssd,... and an expresscard dual esata, is definitly a worthy contenter,... do loose the dock,...
I'll give 10.5.7 combo a shot, on the weekend,.. and see how far it goes

Did you give the ps2 kext a try to fix the trackpad issue? i no longer require the dock (or sleep) to make it work.

One thing of note, is since installing this kext, i can no longer sleep. The computer attempts to, and then comes out of it instantly. I'll play with the kexts and see if i can't figure something out, though any help would be appreciated.

Also, i have a 13in MB, and i love it. This E6400 is my work lappy, and since i perfer stability,etc, i went mac on the OS, and run a VM session of XP. My big problem with the MBP (other than the annoying glossy screens - which my 13in Unibody also has) is it's hinge. Go to an apple store, pick one up and see if the hinge closes on you if you tilt it up. Thats the reason i didn't go Pro.

SethVIII8

SethVIII8

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I finally got the Dualpoint working tonight. I downloaded the source from http://www.insanelym...showtopic=21952 and compiled it. When I installed it to my boot partition (I am using Chameleon) my touchstick stopped working, and the touchpad was still crazy (but less bad, i guess). Then I tried deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and then rebuit my chameleon Extensions.mkext and now they both work. I am going to see if I can get 1 finger scrolling etc. next.

I think there should be some way to make it work without deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Now if I could just get sleep/restart/shutdown to work I would have everything I need.

Awesome, thanks for the kext! Touchpad on my M4400 w/ 10.5.6 seems to be working great!

ponjop

ponjop

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
question guys...
What do you guys use for battery meter, powermanagement etc... on E6400? What is the optimal cpu temp on idle? Thanks in advance...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy