[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

Regarding the Touchpad - I had problems on Linux too with this touchpad. Side scrolling would work until the driver crashed and fell back on a "generic" driver without acceleration. Apparently the Syntaptics Touchpad has a weired 9 byte code it sends which confuses the current alps driver. It would be already great to have the generic driver working (without acceleration) under MacOSX.

I still have problems getting Quartz Extreme to work. I tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to change. There is little information to the NVS 160m card which apparently uses a 9300 GS chipset. Here is what happens in a dmesg output. It gets proped by NVDarwin although I deleted the NVDarwin.kext in my Extension Directory. Can anyone give me some advice here please, I'm getting frustrated?

Couldn't alloc class "NVDA"

Couldn't alloc class "NVKernel"

NVdarwin: Probing.

NVdarwin: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @0,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000

NVdarwin: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A

NVdarwin: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @1,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

NVdarwin: Setting @2,compatible=NVDA,sensor-parent

NVdarwin: Setting @2,device_type=NVDA,gpu-diode

NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwctrl-params-version=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwsensor-params-version=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @2,name=sensor-parent

NVdarwin: Setting @2,reg=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting NVPM=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting device_type=NVDA,GeForce

NVdarwin: Setting name=NVDA,Parent

NVdarwin: Setting rom-revision=NVdarwin 1.2.3

NVdarwin: Setting model=Unknown NVIDIA Card

• 2 weeks later...
Regarding the Touchpad - I had problems on Linux too with this touchpad. Side scrolling would work until the driver crashed and fell back on a "generic" driver without acceleration. Apparently the Syntaptics Touchpad has a weired 9 byte code it sends which confuses the current alps driver. It would be already great to have the generic driver working (without acceleration) under MacOSX.

I still have problems getting Quartz Extreme to work. I tried all the suggestions in the forum but nothing seems to change. There is little information to the NVS 160m card which apparently uses a 9300 GS chipset. Here is what happens in a dmesg output. It gets proped by NVDarwin although I deleted the NVDarwin.kext in my Extension Directory. Can anyone give me some advice here please, I'm getting frustrated?

Couldn't alloc class "NVDA"

Couldn't alloc class "NVKernel"

NVdarwin: Probing.

NVdarwin: Setting @0,NVMT=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @0,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @0,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @0,fboffset=0x00020000

NVdarwin: Setting @0,name=NVDA,Display-A

NVdarwin: Setting @1,compatible=NVDA,NVMac

NVdarwin: Setting @1,device_type=display

NVdarwin: Setting @1,name=NVDA,Display-B

NVdarwin: Setting @2,compatible=NVDA,sensor-parent

NVdarwin: Setting @2,device_type=NVDA,gpu-diode

NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwctrl-params-version=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @2,hwsensor-params-version=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting @2,name=sensor-parent

NVdarwin: Setting @2,reg=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting NVCAP=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting NVPM=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting VRAM,totalsize=<data not shown>

NVdarwin: Setting device_type=NVDA,GeForce

NVdarwin: Setting name=NVDA,Parent

NVdarwin: Setting rom-revision=NVdarwin 1.2.3

NVdarwin: Setting model=Unknown NVIDIA Card

See above for my solution on the touchpad.

As for the video drivers, i tried several different avenues - EFI Strings, etc - to no avail.

I am running chameleon, with a vanilla install. Right now i am using most of the kexts that the author of this post put up for 10.5.5, video card included. I think i had to remove one or two kext controllers for the video to not kick a black screen - try removing all video related kexts except for the NVDarwin kext.

See above for my solution on the touchpad.

As for the video drivers, i tried several different avenues - EFI Strings, etc - to no avail.

I am running chameleon, with a vanilla install. Right now i am using most of the kexts that the author of this post put up for 10.5.5, video card included. I think i had to remove one or two kext controllers for the video to not kick a black screen - try removing all video related kexts except for the NVDarwin kext.

Hmm but the current solution involves either sleep/rewake or dock/redock. What if I do not have a docking station......? If it's working after these steps you posted, there must be something that interferes with it in the first place. I have my first experience with Dell OSX with Latitude D430, and if i remembered correctly, i had to go in and delete the ps2controller.kext for some reason.....and then the trackpad/stick will work.....which i thought was very interesting..

I finally got the Dualpoint working tonight. I downloaded the source from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21952 and compiled it. When I installed it to my boot partition (I am using Chameleon) my touchstick stopped working, and the touchpad was still crazy (but less bad, i guess). Then I tried deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and then rebuit my chameleon Extensions.mkext and now they both work. I am going to see if I can get 1 finger scrolling etc. next.

I think there should be some way to make it work without deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Now if I could just get sleep/restart/shutdown to work I would have everything I need.

ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip

I'll give the trackpad fix a whirl.

I tried the 10.5.7 update with Chameleon, and kept getting the grey screen at boot(boot-132 would still work though) so i nuked and went back to 10.5.6. (just incase anyone was curious about 10.5.7)

I also still have a curious issue - LAN doesn't work after waking from sleep (and sleep has to be induced manually, not via the lid closing) Any solutions for the LAN issue?(i can live with invoking sleep).

I don't have a clue why the Dock fixes the trackpad, i just noticed it did - since i usually have my laptop docked at work and use an external mouse and keyboard, the trackpad issue isn't a dealbreaker for me in either case.

Update - that Trackpad kext works like a charm. No deleting necessary.

for lan, got the usb ethernet adapter,....

at BB,... got tired of the lan issue,...

otherwith , I use the single boot, and dock,

and usb mouse,..... since lan, works, but trackpad is toast,......

would like to got 10.5.6 even 10.5.7,.... but don't want to give up sleep/wake,...

and the touch pad is a biggy too.....

could think of living with it,... even velcro back the usb touchpad,...

but as soon as the new ones , ship, with snowleopard,... I might bite,...

litle tired of these chases,... desktops fine,... laptops still suck,..

oh, thought, the mac pro is no sloutch,... but think a macbook pro with an

decent ssd,... and an expresscard dual esata, is definitly a worthy contenter,... do loose the dock,...

I'll give 10.5.7 combo a shot, on the weekend,.. and see how far it goes

for lan, got the usb ethernet adapter,....

at BB,... got tired of the lan issue,...

otherwith , I use the single boot, and dock,

and usb mouse,..... since lan, works, but trackpad is toast,......

would like to got 10.5.6 even 10.5.7,.... but don't want to give up sleep/wake,...

and the touch pad is a biggy too.....

could think of living with it,... even velcro back the usb touchpad,...

but as soon as the new ones , ship, with snowleopard,... I might bite,...

litle tired of these chases,... desktops fine,... laptops still suck,..

oh, thought, the mac pro is no sloutch,... but think a macbook pro with an

decent ssd,... and an expresscard dual esata, is definitly a worthy contenter,... do loose the dock,...

I'll give 10.5.7 combo a shot, on the weekend,.. and see how far it goes

Did you give the ps2 kext a try to fix the trackpad issue? i no longer require the dock (or sleep) to make it work.

One thing of note, is since installing this kext, i can no longer sleep. The computer attempts to, and then comes out of it instantly. I'll play with the kexts and see if i can't figure something out, though any help would be appreciated.

Also, i have a 13in MB, and i love it. This E6400 is my work lappy, and since i perfer stability,etc, i went mac on the OS, and run a VM session of XP. My big problem with the MBP (other than the annoying glossy screens - which my 13in Unibody also has) is it's hinge. Go to an apple store, pick one up and see if the hinge closes on you if you tilt it up. Thats the reason i didn't go Pro.

I finally got the Dualpoint working tonight. I downloaded the source from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21952 and compiled it. When I installed it to my boot partition (I am using Chameleon) my touchstick stopped working, and the touchpad was still crazy (but less bad, i guess). Then I tried deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext and then rebuit my chameleon Extensions.mkext and now they both work. I am going to see if I can get 1 finger scrolling etc. next.

I think there should be some way to make it work without deleting /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Now if I could just get sleep/restart/shutdown to work I would have everything I need.

Awesome, thanks for the kext! Touchpad on my M4400 w/ 10.5.6 seems to be working great!

Ponjop,

The first post of this topic has an attachment of Kexts. In that set is a pci power management kext that i believe controls this battery indicator. The temperature runs par for the course with this system (the only sensor istatnano recognizes for me is the HD one - 38 C presently.), in other words - the same as i've noticed with XP and Vista.

Ponjop,

The first post of this topic has an attachment of Kexts. In that set is a pci power management kext that i believe controls this battery indicator. The temperature runs par for the course with this system (the only sensor istatnano recognizes for me is the HD one - 38 C presently.), in other words - the same as i've noticed with XP and Vista.

Thanks for the quick response Doomi... I appreciate it...

I tried the 10.5.7 update and I am having troubles I was booting to a black screen with a mouse cursor. I then tried (booting in safe mode) messing with the system NV* files and got it to reboot in software mode. I then tried rebuilding my chameleon extensions.mkext and now I can't boot at all (kernel panic right away).

I messed around with it a bit more, and decided to just reinstall from the disk (Archive and install) and things seem to be back where they were before I did the update.

Quadro NVS 160M 256 Mo: YES quarz ok

Bluetooth: NO 370 (not detected)

Wifi (dell wirelessN): YES

Sound: YES at start , a crack

LAN : YES

KeyBoard: YES

Screen Auto-Luminosity: YES screen adjust YES

TouchPad: Yes, no touchpad preferences or advanced features

Touchstick: YES

BatteryIndicator: YES

Sleep: NO

Shutdown/Restart: NO

Ricoh SD reader: ?

1394a firewire 400: ?

DVD Burner: YES

sound controll buttons: YES

VGA dual display: ?

e-port: ?

PC-card: ?

PCI express: ?

display: 1920x1200

E-Sata: ?

USB: YES keyboard, mouse

headphone jack: YES

microphone: NO

photobooth: YES

ichat: YES

any ideas for sleep/shutdown/restart on 10.5.6?

I messed around with it a bit more, and decided to just reinstall from the disk (Archive and install) and things seem to be back where they were before I did the update.

Quadro NVS 160M 256 Mo: YES quarz ok

Bluetooth: NO 370 (not detected)

Wifi (dell wirelessN): YES

Sound: YES at start , a crack

LAN : YES

KeyBoard: YES

Screen Auto-Luminosity: YES screen adjust YES

TouchPad: Yes, no touchpad preferences or advanced features

Touchstick: YES

BatteryIndicator: YES

Sleep: NO

Shutdown/Restart: NO

Ricoh SD reader: ?

1394a firewire 400: ?

DVD Burner: YES

sound controll buttons: YES

VGA dual display: ?

e-port: ?

PC-card: ?

PCI express: ?

display: 1920x1200

E-Sata: ?

USB: YES keyboard, mouse

headphone jack: YES

microphone: NO

photobooth: YES

ichat: YES

any ideas for sleep/shutdown/restart on 10.5.6?

FYI, mine is E6400 and working fine.

I am on 10.5.7 now, I went from iPC 10.5.6 to latest using Mac Software update to 10.5.7.

At first reboot I had to go to safemode then run the NVIDIA 9000 Series Driver v2.

Then put the nvdarwin that support dual monitor from ealier post.

Still the same outstanding issue, bluetooth, sleep, reboot and shutdown. other than that, the rest are fine.

I forgot to mention, use usb mouse because keyboard, touch pad and track pad will not work. use the onscreen keyboard to put your password when installing the NVIDIA package and the nvdarwin for dual screen support.

Hey all,

I'm running 10.5.6 via a clean retail install with the boot132 method (which is what i believe the original author of this discussion describes) and then the non-2.0 Chameleon. I got a kernel panic on every boot after the 10.5.7, but could boot in just fine using the 132 disc. I played with every conceivable combination of Kexts to get it to work - to no avail. Ponjob, you're using a modified install, which is likely why you were able to upgrade to 10.5.7 problem free. Prior to using the updated Trackpad driver, i had sleep working just fine using some kexts to allow full usb 2.0 speeds (OSX was only recognizing usb 1.1 speeds prior), obviously since install the trackpad kext - i've lost such sleep ability (it tries to sleep, then wakes back up immediately - prompting for password). If you use the Chameleon method with The kexts at the begining of the discussion, with the trackpad kext a few posts up - you'll have fully functioning keyboard and trackpad. I have the dell wireless n (half) card, after 10.5.6 it works natively.

Hey all,

I'm running 10.5.6 via a clean retail install with the boot132 method (which is what i believe the original author of this discussion describes) and then the non-2.0 Chameleon. I got a kernel panic on every boot after the 10.5.7, but could boot in just fine using the 132 disc. I played with every conceivable combination of Kexts to get it to work - to no avail. Ponjob, you're using a modified install, which is likely why you were able to upgrade to 10.5.7 problem free. Prior to using the updated Trackpad driver, i had sleep working just fine using some kexts to allow full usb 2.0 speeds (OSX was only recognizing usb 1.1 speeds prior), obviously since install the trackpad kext - i've lost such sleep ability (it tries to sleep, then wakes back up immediately - prompting for password). If you use the Chameleon method with The kexts at the begining of the discussion, with the trackpad kext a few posts up - you'll have fully functioning keyboard and trackpad. I have the dell wireless n (half) card, after 10.5.6 it works natively.

You are right Doomi, I am using the modified version, so for now if anyone wants 10.5.7 then use the modified version as long as you own a retail version I would think its ok right? legally? Maybe? But I'm pretty sure that someone will figure out how to make it work with retail version.

Hey Doomi, can you point me to that USB2.0 kext that fixes the sleep before you update to trackpad fix? Thanks in advance.

Here are all the kexts i'm presently using - no sleep and working trackpad, video(out),sound, lan,wifi(dell half n).

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/762600/KEXTs.zip

Here is only the usb sleep fixing kexts. i honestly forget where i found them (somewhere on insanelymac), sorry for not being able to give the proper cred.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/762600/USB%20Only.zip

guys, need some help here.. im installing retail vanilla kernel 10.5.6 using boot-132 loader, then at 1st startup, i install chameleon 2.0 and after that, everything works except for display. no qe, ci but the resolution detected as 1280x800. tried nvdarwin, nvinject, but so far no luck..any ideas?

I can't vouch for if the Cham. 2.0 has anything to do with it, as i run Cham 1.something, but using the drivers i have dropboxed above, i get full qe/ci. I think the OSX86Tools app can force them, if OSX doesn't detect it's usability from your Kext. You might try that.

Just a quick update. I specifically got this e6500 because I didn't want a computer without the nipple (touchpoint). In windows I use the scrolling feature (by holding the middle mouse button and pushing the stick). On another post on this forum, I found out about a utility called Smart Scroll that you can set up to do scrolling like you can in windows (works with the touchpad too). If you want to try it out, enable "Grab Scroll" with "Scroll without moving cursor".

I also have sleep working using the voodoo kernel. Previously, I couldn't use the voodoo kernel because it prevented breakpoints from working in xcode, but I found a comment google code that if you set the kernel flag std_dyld=1 you get xcode breakpoints again (this option wont work for people with AMD CPUs but that is not a problem for us).