[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

I have a Latitude E6400 running snowosx v3.5 upgraded to 10.6.2 and I got video working using the updated X3100 drivers posted somewhere in these forums. The main problem I have left is that my mouse cursor goes berserk when I touch the trackpad but it works when I use the nipple/button in the keyboard.

has anyone gotten the trackpad working in 10.6.2 for this model?

Yes check zPilots original post or my zip file of kexts in this thread.

I am done running OS X on my Latitude e6400. If anyone wants my media bay hard drive caddy, my 320gb drive running 10.5.8, my Dell 1510 half mini pci wifi card, and my broadcom bluetooth mini pci card give me a shout and I'll cut you a heck of a deal on all of it.

Ok, I know it is for 6500, but I tried it on my 6400, just because you have working dual monitors!??

Obviously there are some parts which don't work, but the dual monitor doesn't either do the job. Well, as far as I can see the analog monitor works well, but the DVI doesn't even being recognized. Is it normal that the video cards shows as

Chipset Model: I Can Has Model?

How did you get DVI+analog as you referenced in the readme?

Thanks in advance

Will it solve the problem?

Yes, you will not get Kernel Panic if you upgrade the sleepenabler

Any word on this? After using these kexts i do not output to dual monitors via VGA and DVI. Also, when you say close the lid (like in windows) to output to a second monitor - the system sleeps and wakes up and sleeps....etc. This is with 10.6.2 and the latest sleep enabler.

Does anyone have dual monitors working? It seems the kexts cited earlier that have this working and the pictures attached in the zip of the extra and extensions folder outputing to dual monitors might not actually work. from the readme " 13. docking station works (I have two 22inch acers lcds) So my setup is Laptop is docked and the VGA port on the docking station goes into a matrix DualHead2GO witch splits it into two DVI outputs running into the monitors. In the pictures you'll see my setup along with the resolution I'm running in."

• 1 month later...

I've got a Vanilla install of Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), I just succeed in installing the system with the retail DVD and so on ...

Does anybody know how the updates works ? Can I update the system directly from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with the software update ?

Is there any How to ?

Cheers.

Claymm.

I've got a Vanilla install of Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6), I just succeed in installing the system with the retail DVD and so on ...

Does anybody know how the updates works ? Can I update the system directly from 10.6 to 10.6.2 with the software update ?

Is there any How to ?

Cheers.

Claymm.

yes, just use the software update. works without any problem.

if you are using the sleepenabler kext, you must first remove it before updating. after updates are complete, you can move it back.

check here for more details if you are using sleepenabler: http://netkas.org/?p=315

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again !

I've got two wifi cards (Intel 5100 and 3945) and I'd like to make it works with my Vanilla Install.

I found one kext for the 3945 on iwidarwin project page but it gives a KP at reboot.

However, do you know which cards work with Mac OS X SL vanilla on my Dell Latitude E6400 ?

I could buy one.

EDIT : I've made the Software Update from 10.6 to 10.6.2 but now I cannot deal with the sound, like the kexts were not installed, but they are and I tried to reinstall them. What can I do in order to make the sound working under 10.6.2 now ? Do you have any idea ?

REDIT : Iv'e managed to deal with the sound, Kext Helper b7 don't work anymore with my 10.6.2 so I typed the commands in single user mode and now it's okay. The only things I need to are the camera and the wifi (with 3945 or 5100 or another one that I can buy).

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Claymm.

Hi folks,

I've tried all methods above on my Dell Latitude E6400 to make work the missing components of my installation, and sadly can't. Please note, I'm using SnowOSX 10.6.2 on 64 bits (switching to 32 makes no difference).

What works:

- Triple Boot OSX / Win 7 / Ubuntu

- Keyboard / Trackpad

- Shutdown / Restart

- Wi Fi (trick: Make sure to log to Windows/Linux/whatever before installing OSX... this will force the Wi-Fi card to "start"... without doing this, it won't be detected during installation, even if the switch is ON)

- LAN (Used a custom broadcomm kext found around, for 64 bits).

- Sound: Used VoodooHDA (no Mic :S)

- DVDRW

What doesn't Works:

- Video GMA 4500 - no matter what, tried all around... I'm not able to make it load *any* kext for graphics display. ID: 2a42 - running at an ugly 1024x768 resolution... can't make any other res to work. Tried to replace the dsdt file with the one here, and using the FB kext and it refuses to load.

- USB!!! - I can't connect *anything* using any USB port

- TOUCHPAD!!!!! it goes crazy, and if I use the pack of kexts posted above, I lose Trackpad and Keyboard - therefore can't move anything.

- Sleep / Hibernate

- Bluetooth - tried using DellBluetoothHCI.kext, and it does nothing...

- Cards reader (I'm not desperate for this)

I'm in a desperate need for a hand... I'm attaching the lspci output from linux and extensions listing.

I appreciate any feedback! :unsure:

lspci.txt

kexts.txt

Has anyone experienced sucky graphics performance in Snow Leopard? I have 10.6.1 installed on my e6400, and I'm using GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon to support my Nvidia 160M. I supposedly get QE/CI, because I get the transparent menu bar and some of the other video effects, and I can use all of my external monitor ports. However, my Xbench scores for the graphics parts are in the twenties, and apps that use the graphics card heavily (iMovie in particular) are slow as molasses. Anyone else seeing this?

Yep, same here. I'm on 10.6.2 on an Inspiron 1720/8600M GT. Wish I could help.

• 2 weeks later...

E6400

10.6.2 64/32bit enable

sound :output ok

speedstep:ok

wifi:ok

lan:ok

graphic:nv160 qi/ce ok ,vga output ok

shutdown:can stop hdd,but cant poweroff

touchpad+trackpoint:ok

bluetooth:ok ,i use magic mouse

battery:ok,3hr (nearby)

post-66264-1266330234_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 Too.

I've made a Vanilla Install (With Boot132 CD and Retail DVD of Mac OS X Snow Leopard).

Unfortunately, I've got some troubles with some hardware devices to work.

For example, I bought a AR5418 Atheros card in order to get wifi (I removed my Intel 5100) but I cannot make it detected by Mac OS X as an airport card.

So I'd like you to tell me which card is better to buy in order to have wifi on me E6400 (and if it's a draft n card it's better).

Then, I don't have shutdown/restart working (it stops but not completely)

My webcam is not working too.

And I've spotted this in the System Profiler : 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No.

Can you give me some answers please ? It'll be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Claym.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am still trying to find all information regarding the touchpad for snowleopard and the e6400.

there seem to be at least a few of you who have the touchpad working without docking.

But for some strange reasons the kexts working for them don't work for others. Could all the snow leopard users who have a working touchpad please give a short list of the kexts used for the touchpad and where they found them?

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

I've figured out how to make touchpad work on snowleopard!!

Assuming you have the keyboard and trackpoint working and a crazy going touchpad:

Just find your ApplePS2Controller.kext in /System/Library/Extensions

There delete the \Contents\Plugins\ApplePS2Trackpad.kext

(sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext)

Then restart and you will have a working touchpad and trackpoint!

Hi all,

I am still trying to find all information regarding the touchpad for snowleopard and the e6400.

there seem to be at least a few of you who have the touchpad working without docking.

But for some strange reasons the kexts working for them don't work for others. Could all the snow leopard users who have a working touchpad please give a short list of the kexts used for the touchpad and where they found them?

Thanks for your help!

• 3 months later...

yes you can boot from usb. You have to go into the bios and let it handle usb devices.

Once u reboot, you should then be able to press f12 and see boot from usb as an option.

E6400 and USB HDD

Hi lads, I'd have a question. Can you start any Operation System from USB harddrive with your E6400?

I've installed a MAC to USB HDD, but when I try to boot from it, the PC can't even see the USB drive. Even if I select it as first in the boot sequences it can't see. Just 30 sec pause at the boot time and it cant see.

I've spoken with the dell support and they said that's happening because the laptop can't find any Operation System on the HDD as it has no MBR but GUID table.

I've tested the same Harddrive in an HP NC6120 and its boot from it.

I wonder if anybody was able to use USB HDD to boot mac in latitude e6400. If yes, what can be wrong with mine?

• 2 months later...
Hi all,

I've got a Dell Latitude E6400 Too.

I've made a Vanilla Install (With Boot132 CD and Retail DVD of Mac OS X Snow Leopard).

Unfortunately, I've got some troubles with some hardware devices to work.

For example, I bought a AR5418 Atheros card in order to get wifi (I removed my Intel 5100) but I cannot make it detected by Mac OS X as an airport card.

So I'd like you to tell me which card is better to buy in order to have wifi on me E6400 (and if it's a draft n card it's better).

Then, I don't have shutdown/restart working (it stops but not completely)

My webcam is not working too.

And I've spotted this in the System Profiler : 64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No.

Can you give me some answers please ? It'll be very helpful for me.

Thanks.

Claym.

Hi,

I really need some help, I have the same laptop Latitude E6400 and I can't boot from either the DVD or from 10.6.3 installtion on a USB

I have changed my bios from IRRT to AHCI (This is the only change in the Bios I know of)

I have Windows 7 installed.

I tried booting from Boot132 CD and then 10.6 DVD and I get the following:-

Loading HFS+ File mach_kernel from (Some Number)

I also tried booting from Boot132 on a USB using GRUB and then from a USB Harddrive Snow Leopard Installation 10.6.3 and I get the same results:-

I tried all different versions of bootable ISOs and I get the same thing.

I think maybe there is something in my bios that I need to change to be able to boot from either the DVD or the USB!

I also tried cpus=1 and didn't do anything

BTW I am able to use the USB installation on another machine.

Please help, give me a hint or something, I just want to move forward a little.

its Latitude E6400

4GB RAM

Core 2 Duo CPU

Display: Mobile Intel® Series Express Chipset Family

Could someone please share any files that I may need, like DSDT or special Kexts.

Thank you.

well I found out it was the mack_kernel, when I changed that it worked and I was able to get to the installer but I was under the impression that I could boot from the MacOSX 10.6.3 vanilla Kernel !!! but it seems that I cannot. ;)

I was able to use a hacked mach_kernel from SnowOX Universal 10.6.2 but I need a hacked mach_kernel for 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 when I upgrade.

Can someone please tell me where I can get the correct mach_kernel for 10.6.3 for E6400

Thanks, please reply and explain if I should be able to boot from the vanilla kernel .

well I found out it was the mack_kernel, when I changed that it worked and I was able to get to the installer but I was under the impression that I could boot from the MacOSX 10.6.3 vanilla Kernel !!! but it seems that I cannot. ;)

I was able to use a hacked mach_kernel from SnowOX Universal 10.6.2 but I need a hacked mach_kernel for 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 when I upgrade.

Can someone please tell me where I can get the correct mach_kernel for 10.6.3 for E6400

Thanks, please reply and explain if I should be able to boot from the vanilla kernel .

do you boot into osx after install without the "grey Screen of Death" ?

Is there any How to ?

Cheers.

Claymm.

Hi there,

what distro's and steps did you use. I can install succesfully but get a "Grey screen of death" after reboot that says please press power button?

dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

Hi, after much reading in this forum I managed to compile a dsdt.aml for e6500 with basically everything working in 10.6.4 64 bit.

no need for disabler.kext, custom iousbfamily.kext with broken usb2, graphics enabler, etc

My /Extra/Extensions looks like:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext (just deleted ApplePS2Trackpad under Plugins)

VoodooBattery.kext

fakesmc.kext

I added in /System/Library/Extensions:

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooSDHC.kext

Intel82566MM.kext

DellBluetoothHCI.kext

All else is vanilla!

My com.apple.Boot.plist

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1920x1200x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>DropSSDT=Y</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

</plist>

dsdt.aml.zip

do you boot into osx after install without the "grey Screen of Death" ?

Hi,

sorry for taking sometime to respond, its because I wanted to see how far I can get before I come back with questions.

I can boot into Mac OS x installation 10.6.2 fine without issues using the universal snow x hacked kernel for 10.6.2, I did not install the Max OS X yet using the distro because I want to pass the challenge of booting from a vanilla 10.6.3 kernel.

I just don't know how I can go about creating a dsdt.aml file for my E6400 just like ajvos did for his E6500. I am assuming thats something I need to do to be able to boot from a vanilla dvd installation, correct? or 1-can I boot from a vanilla 10.6 DVD without the dsdt.aml file? what do I have to do to be able to boot a vanilla dvd installation?

I already have a huge collection of all iso's that should allow booting from a retail dvd mac os x such as :-

EasyEFIv2.2.iso

EmpireEFILegacyv1085.iso

EmpireEFIv1085.iso

Generic-Boot-123.iso

NawcomBootCD.iso

Rebel-EFI.iso

BootSLv3-No-Wifi.iso

BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY.iso

etc...

I have 3 USBs a 2GB and a 500GB WD Portable , 8GB USB and a Mac OS X 10.6 Retail DVD.

the 500GB is broken up into at least 13 or more partitions, each partition has an installation or a different distro of Mac OS x

I use the 2GB USB for Grub and booting any of the above ISO which is pretty cool. Then I try to boot from the DVD and it does not work.

2- Also I would like to know what I need to do to be able to boot any of the isos and instead of booting from the DVD, I'd like to boot from a specific partition from my 500GB WD

I tried typing in verbos mode: -v hd=disk1s5 (for example) and also rd=disk1s5 but that didn't work, isn't that how I should do it?

I am determined to getting this working, so I am reading and searching everywhere.

dsdt.aml with native powermanagement / speedstep / graphics / sleep / hibernation / usb / shutdown fix!

All else is vanilla!

Hi, are you using vanilla kernel as well for 10.6.4? what changes do you need to do to the bios besides changing IRRT to AHCI?

Thanks in advance.

1-can I boot from a vanilla 10.6 DVD without the dsdt.aml file? what do I have to do to be able to boot a vanilla dvd installation?

Be sure you have Disabler.kext in /Extra so it won't load appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext I have no problems booting from a vanilla kernel

2- Also I would like to know what I need to do to be able to boot any of the isos and instead of booting from the DVD, I'd like to boot from a specific partition from my 500GB WD

I tried typing in verbos mode: -v hd=disk1s5 (for example) and also rd=disk1s5 but that didn't work, isn't that how I should do it?

Normally you should burn the iso to a cd and when loaded remove it and exchange it with the Vanilla DVD. I haven't tried grub as bootloader, I only used chameleon RC5

Hi, are you using vanilla kernel as well for 10.6.4? what changes do you need to do to the bios besides changing IRRT to AHCI?

I have no trouble booting vanilla kernel 10.6.4. I have not changed bios settings except IRRT->AHCI. Try to compare my dsdt with yours. Just install dsdtse, extract your machine-specific dsdt, decompile my dsdt.aml and use the compare function to compare your dsdt with my one. If you have an e6500 you can as wel try my dsdt.aml.

hi all, im new at this forum and im trying to install mac osx into my dell e6400, i found the ideneb v1.6 lite, but i read in the forum that a lot of people install snow leopard 10.6.1 or 10.6.2..

how can i get this version of snow leopard ? and can anyone explain how to install kext files so i can use all video functions (i need to use dual monitor)

my dell e6400 have de nvidia quadro 160m

thanks to all, i read all the post, but i dont understand how to install kext...

sorry for my limited english! (im from latinoamerica and i never study english...)

PD: if someone could explain the steps to install like a tutorial it cuold be awesome!!!!

i im runnig at the moment win7 and ideneb v1.6 with dual boot without problem...

thanks a lot!

Be sure you have Disabler.kext in /Extra so it won't load appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext I have no problems booting from a vanilla kernel

Normally you should burn the iso to a cd and when loaded remove it and exchange it with the Vanilla DVD. I haven't tried grub as bootloader, I only used chameleon RC5

I have no trouble booting vanilla kernel 10.6.4. I have not changed bios settings except IRRT->AHCI. Try to compare my dsdt with yours. Just install dsdtse, extract your machine-specific dsdt, decompile my dsdt.aml and use the compare function to compare your dsdt with my one. If you have an e6500 you can as wel try my dsdt.aml.

Hi ajvos,

Thank you very much for your reply and help. It does motivate me actually to keep going.

I only have E6400 and the ISOs I am loading using GRUB from a USB stick, they actually load Chameleon (i.e like EasyEFI for example). Now my biggest and main challenge is to find how I can get chameleon to load a Mac OS X installation from a specific partition on my 500GB WD, that way it will be faster and more convienent to install from in case I need to keep modifying the installation files.

I thought it would have been solved by adding -v -f rd=disk1s5 but it did not work.

I can already load a specific partition from my 500GB WD HD using Generic-Boot-123.iso which is loaded using GRUB but I dont know how to get chameleon to do the same. I also tried pressing F10 but its not listing any extra drives or anything as it should.

I am still researching this, if anyone has feedback, please provide some tips. Thanks

Chameleon Docs

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chamel...oc/BootHelp.txt

how can i get this version of snow leopard ?

I think you are after this distro: SnowOX Universal 10.6.2 , search for it and you will find it.

Well, I thought I'd let you guys know.

Magic has been hapening for the last week, its been a long ride, I was complicating things sometimes more than I should have. I ended just installing Chameleon directly to the 500GB HD (first partition) which allowed me to boot any of its 13 partitions, this is the best way to install Mac OS X. I hope this helps people to understand how to get it working.

I installed Mac OS X perfectly fine on my E6400 and got it working ofcourse after a little bit of hacking of what kexts I should use. Now I have 10.6.3 Vanilla install (no hacked mach_kernel used ;), I will update to 10.6.4 but first I am yet to figure out how I can get the following to work.

The main issue is the display, I am currently on 1280x768x32 which is not good at all

Intel GMA 4500(M)(HD) (Graphics not properlly working yet)

Intel 82801IB ICH9 (Audio not working yet)

WiFi Link 5300 (not working, I think there is no current kext developed for this one unless someone can advice otherwise)

Intel® 82567LM Gigabit Network (have not tested this yet) don't know which kext to use.

Could someone please guide me how I can get proper display resolution setup and audio ? Also how can I get the multiple display to work, say if I connect my TV?

Intel GMA 4500(M)(HD)

Intel 82801IB ICH9

please don't ignore the request, a simple reply will be much appreciated.

Thank you