[Install] Dell Latitude E6400 E6500

Pratician

406 posts in this topic

E6400 and USB HDD

Hi lads, I'd have a question. Can you start any Operation System from USB harddrive with your E6400?

I've installed a MAC to USB HDD, but when I try to boot from it, the PC can't even see the USB drive. Even if I select it as first in the boot sequences it can't see. Just 30 sec pause at the boot time and it cant see.

I've spoken with the dell support and they said that's happening because the laptop can't find any Operation System on the HDD as it has no MBR but GUID table.

I've tested the same Harddrive in an HP NC6120 and its boot from it.

I wonder if anybody was able to use USB HDD to boot mac in latitude e6400. If yes, what can be wrong with mine?

i got snow leopard to install and boot from a external usb drive, to get things going initially i used a usb boot stick and then later transferred the settings over to the usb drive to get it to boot

it was great to test with but the performance is pretty bad

i got snow leopard to install and boot from a external usb drive, to get things going initially i used a usb boot stick and then later transferred the settings over to the usb drive to get it to boot

it was great to test with but the performance is pretty bad

Mine doesnt even see the external HDD if it uses EFI partition to boot. Only the MBR can be seen from boot...

And the Customer support confirmed today, the E6400 can't boot just from MBR partition if its external HDD

E6400 and USB HDD

Hi lads, I'd have a question. Can you start any Operation System from USB harddrive with your E6400?

I've installed a MAC to USB HDD, but when I try to boot from it, the PC can't even see the USB drive. Even if I select it as first in the boot sequences it can't see. Just 30 sec pause at the boot time and it cant see.

I've spoken with the dell support and they said that's happening because the laptop can't find any Operation System on the HDD as it has no MBR but GUID table.

I've tested the same Harddrive in an HP NC6120 and its boot from it.

I wonder if anybody was able to use USB HDD to boot mac in latitude e6400. If yes, what can be wrong with mine?

Try installing Chameleon on a partition on your built-in hard drive, or even the USB hard drive itself. E6400 should boot from any USB device as long as the USB device has a boot sector or can be recognized as a boot device by Chameleon.

Hi,

I tried your guide, but just by remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra/Extenstions folder and reboot, i direct got a kernel panic.

First i want to make sure we are talking the same location, am i right to use the Extra folder that i see on the first level when i click on the partition that i install SL using the finder?

thanks.

Hello everyone I took time this weekend and worked on sleep support. The first attempt I could get my e6500 to sleep and wake up but I would not have bluetooth support. I figured that out by replacing my iousbfamily.kext. So here are instructions to hopefully get it to work for you also.

1. remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra/Extenstions folder if it exists also make sure it is not in s/l/e

2. recompile Extensions.mtext using Kext Utility

3. reboot

4. go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter you should now see "Start up automatically after a power failure" and click that checkbox

5. go to s/l/e and copy iousbfamily.kext to your desktop for safe keeping

Note: When I tried to use sleep without replacing iousbfamily.kext my machine would start to sleep but after a few seconds the machine would start back up.

6. I don't know if this is the correct way to install, but it works for me. I now deleted iousbfamily.kext from s/l/e and installed the new one which you can download below with Kext Helper or OSXTools

7. Reboot and after the laptop restarts you should have full sleep support, OS works perfectly (Bluetooth and wifi works after coming out of sleep)

By the way closing the lid also puts the laptop to sleep.

Hope it works for you like it does for me. Now if we can fix reboot and shutdown I'll have 100% Snow Leopard support

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

If anybody wants to try my kexts. I have a E6500 with sleep and wakeup support. Bascially I have support for everything but the following.

1. shutdown and restart

2. PCMCIA slot

The EC slot is untested.

I am running SL in 32bit mode though.

Let me know if there are any problems downloading the zip, its ~72mb.

e6500.zip 71.9mb

If anybody wants to try my kexts. I have a E6500 with sleep and wakeup support. Bascially I have support for everything but the following.

1. shutdown and restart

2. PCMCIA slot

The EC slot is untested.

e6500.zip 71.9mb

Hi,

I try your steps. But seem like it kill my webcam. Um........... do you know which specific file is for the webcam?

Read around a little, it seem like it may had some things to do with my graphic card setting as well. Any idea?

Anyone success?

thanks.

Hi,

I try your steps. But seem like it kill my webcam. Um........... do you know which specific file is for the webcam?

Read around a little, it seem like it may had some things to do with my graphic card setting as well. Any idea?

Anyone success?

thanks.

What laptop do you have? What are the specs? Are you running snow leopard? 32bit or 64bit?

What laptop do you have? What are the specs? Are you running snow leopard? 32bit or 64bit?

I have the E6500. Details spec is in the word doc attached.

And i installed Chamelon 2 RC3. With the files from you, seem like i still having the following problem

- Web cam stop working with photo booth, it is working with the original ioUSBfamily.ext.

- The processor is not recognize.

- haven't try the wifi yet because i am waiting my USB wifi donggle to arrive.

Spec.doc

I have the E6500. Details spec is in the word doc attached.

And i installed Chamelon 2 RC3. With the files from you, seem like i still having the following problem

- Web cam stop working with photo booth, it is working with the original ioUSBfamily.ext.

- The processor is not recognize.

- haven't try the wifi yet because i am waiting my USB wifi donggle to arrive.

With all the IOUSBfamily on this thread, you will not get both sleep and built-in webcam support. If you want your built-in webcam back, use the default that comes with the snow leopard, then you will have the sleep problem again.

1. shutdown and restart

2. PCMCIA slot

The EC slot is untested.

e6500.zip 71.9mb

Ok, I know it is for 6500, but I tried it on my 6400, just because you have working dual monitors!??

Obviously there are some parts which don't work, but the dual monitor doesn't either do the job. Well, as far as I can see the analog monitor works well, but the DVI doesn't even being recognized. Is it normal that the video cards shows as

Chipset Model: I Can Has Model?

How did you get DVI+analog as you referenced in the readme?

Thanks in advance

Get the latest SleepEnabler for 10.6.2.

Will it solve the problem?

Ok, I know it is for 6500, but I tried it on my 6400, just because you have working dual monitors!??

Obviously there are some parts which don't work, but the dual monitor doesn't either do the job. Well, as far as I can see the analog monitor works well, but the DVI doesn't even being recognized. Is it normal that the video cards shows as

Chipset Model: I Can Has Model?

How did you get DVI+analog as you referenced in the readme?

Thanks in advance

Will it solve the problem?

Yes, you will not get Kernel Panic if you upgrade the sleepenabler

Hello, Dell Latitude m4400, after 10.6.2 software update, booting with KP, in W7 with macdrive replace SleepEnabler.kext, but still KP on boot ;), I try delete /S/L/Caches, dont help ...

i try delete dmos.kext, I havent KP but system still booting and booting 20min with Apple logo .. ;)

any help please, advice ?

post-465507-1258224799_thumb.jpg

Has anyone experienced sucky graphics performance in Snow Leopard? I have 10.6.1 installed on my e6400, and I'm using GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon to support my Nvidia 160M. I supposedly get QE/CI, because I get the transparent menu bar and some of the other video effects, and I can use all of my external monitor ports. However, my Xbench scores for the graphics parts are in the twenties, and apps that use the graphics card heavily (iMovie in particular) are slow as molasses. Anyone else seeing this?

Has anyone had trouble enabling their Dell 1397 wireless? I can see the interface but I cannot enable it.. :D I've tried the Broadcom.pkg from my iPC 10.5.6 Dvd and I've also used all the instructions and troubleshooting steps for the brc43xx_enabler.sh ..... Still no luck and any help would be sincerely appreciated Thanks in advance for all the work everyone had put in to make this all possible.

Dell Latitude E6400 BTW....

************EDIT******************

I went back and installed the AppleAirPort.kext from my 10.5.6 install and then ran the bcm43xx_enabler.sh, which after rebooting, worked to enable wireless. I installed the AppleAirPort.kext in /System/Library/Extensions using OSx86 Tools. I have also updated to 10.6.2 which adds two entries to the Contents of the IO80211Family.kext With these added entires wireless would not work even after trying to run the script again. Deleted them and re-ran script and now it's back!! Also the new SleepEnabler.kext is working great to stop the KP after the 10.6.2 update. It should also be noted that I turned off the switch in the BIOS which controls/checks on all wireless networking. Sry but I can't remember the exact terminology at this point.

Has anyone experienced sucky graphics performance in Snow Leopard? I have 10.6.1 installed on my e6400, and I'm using GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon to support my Nvidia 160M. I supposedly get QE/CI, because I get the transparent menu bar and some of the other video effects, and I can use all of my external monitor ports. However, my Xbench scores for the graphics parts are in the twenties, and apps that use the graphics card heavily (iMovie in particular) are slow as molasses. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm experiencing the same issue. I was not able to use any other injectors.

Hello everyone I took time this weekend and worked on sleep support. The first attempt I could get my e6500 to sleep and wake up but I would not have bluetooth support. I figured that out by replacing my iousbfamily.kext. So here are instructions to hopefully get it to work for you also.

1. remove NullCPUPowerManagement.kext from Extra/Extenstions folder if it exists also make sure it is not in s/l/e

2. recompile Extensions.mtext using Kext Utility

3. reboot

4. go to System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter you should now see "Start up automatically after a power failure" and click that checkbox

5. go to s/l/e and copy iousbfamily.kext to your desktop for safe keeping

Note: When I tried to use sleep without replacing iousbfamily.kext my machine would start to sleep but after a few seconds the machine would start back up.

6. I don't know if this is the correct way to install, but it works for me. I now deleted iousbfamily.kext from s/l/e and installed the new one which you can download below with Kext Helper or OSXTools

7. Reboot and after the laptop restarts you should have full sleep support, OS works perfectly (Bluetooth and wifi works after coming out of sleep)

By the way closing the lid also puts the laptop to sleep.

Hope it works for you like it does for me. Now if we can fix reboot and shutdown I'll have 100% Snow Leopard support

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

Does your USB devices work fine after replacing IOUSBFamily.kext? None of my USB ports works, but System profiler says that there are 2 USB 1.1 controllers.

All,

I'm wondering if anyone has found fixes for my oustanding issues...

I have everything working with the following:

ideneb 10.5.8 Lite with all defaults, ICHx Fixed, Voodoo SD/SDHCI Driver (install OK)

Added kext's and packages (all found in this thread) for the following:

Bluetooth - OK

KB and Track - OK

Sound - OK

Ethernet Network - OK

Battery Mgt - OK

e-dock - OK (can't get 1440X900 though)

Not working:

Card Reader - Must have loaded before boot, can't change

Shutdown - must hard power down (worked until NVDarwin kext was loaded)

Sleep - Pointer disappears, does nothing

Any help would be appreciated. Lets keep this thread alive and get our 6500's running perfect.

I have a Latitude E6400 running snowosx v3.5 upgraded to 10.6.2 and I got video working using the updated X3100 drivers posted somewhere in these forums. The main problem I have left is that my mouse cursor goes berserk when I touch the trackpad but it works when I use the nipple/button in the keyboard.

has anyone gotten the trackpad working in 10.6.2 for this model?