10.4.5 Wireless Forum - LETS GET THIS FIXED!

Franzy

101 posts in this topic

I don't know of any available patch or fix for the 10.4.5 wireless, specifically, the dell wireless 1350 card. Now, if there isn't one, I hope those of you can share your knowledge so others may use this information to gain progress. Please let me know if there is already a fix for the dell wireless 1350 card, if you know of one.

Edit 1: UPDATE: WIRELESS FOR 10.4.5 fixed

Heres how: (by the way, this is the same file and setup as below, i just thought i'd add the attachment here as well for those who don't feel like reading through unimportant posts).

1. download attached file

Franzy-patched :)

2. drag an drop into system/library/extensions

3. Reboot

Should work. Enjoy!

IO80211Family.kext_2_.zip

Good idea. I tried using the patched AppleAirPort2.kext, but I got this weird error message. Don't have it available, but doesn't work. Some weird load error. Worked fine in 10.4.1 though. -.-. Tried it on 2 wireless cards, a Lucent Technologies WLAN card and a dell 1350 truemobile wireless.

UPDATE!!!: fixed my own problem :-D. Got the dell wireless 1350 card to work. This should work with all broadcom chipset-based wireless cards.

1) Download attached file

I have taken the liberty of already patching it :P so all you'll need is...

2) drag and drop the .kext package into the /system/library/extensions

3) Now reboot!!!

It should work!! congrats. Enjoy your wireless! :-D

PS: I am going to try this out on several laptop computers at my high school. I will be sure to update the results on this forum and on the HCL. Please also let me know of your results so I can help you out.

Edit1: I have removed the commands. Turns out they were only of significance when i was patching the .kext. With it already patched, it is unnecessary for any terminal commands. Thanks to those constructive criticisms and commends from hockey and post_breaks. ENJOY!

IO80211Family.kext.zip

UPDATE!!!: fixed my own problem :-D. Got the dell wireless 1350 card to work. This should work with all broadcom chipset-based wireless cards.

I have taken the liberty of already patching it :graduated: so all you'll need is...

3) then, load up the .kext

to setup the kext, open terminal (located in utilities) and then type:

sudo -s

chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions

chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions

kextcache -k /system/librar/extensions

4) Now reboot!!!

It should work!! congrats. Enjoy your wireless! :-D

PS: I am going to try this out on several laptop computers at my high school. I will be sure to update the results on this forum and on the HCL. Please also let me know of your results so I can help you out.

;)

Ok, on a friends computer, i just added the attached file into the extensions folder and the "airport" card was detected when i tried to configure it...I didnt have to "load up the .kext"

what i did was:

1: download the file

2: extract the file

3: opened the home directory (alt+shift+H)

4: navigated to the system/library/extensions folder

5: draged the file from the desktop to the open finder window

6: authorized the overwrite

7: Reboot the computer

8: it actually worked

Also i was able to connect to network printers wirelessly, so i guess it actually works

I think it is a dell internal wireless card on a inspiron 5150 P4, 512 memory, intergrated video/sound.

Edit: Im going to install osx86 10.4.5 on a Dell latitude D410 today, ill post back the results when im done

SEE BELOW FOR RESULTS

Edit 2: Success on a HP laptop: celeron m 1.4 ghz laptop w/broadcom wireless

Sound: yes

Video: looks good

wireless: works using patched kext

PS/2 devices: all functional

Cdrw/dvd drive: didnt test yet but installed in 25 minutes

Note: this computer has a widescreen display and the screen size is correct!!!

:)

Ok, on a friends computer, i just added the attached file into the extensions folder and the "airport" card was detected when i tried to configure it...I didnt have to "load up the .kext"

what i did was:

1: download the file

2: extract the file

3: opened the home directory (alt+shift+H)

4: navigated to the system/library/extensions folder

5: draged the file from the desktop to the open finder window

6: authorized the overwrite

7: Reboot the computer

8: it actually worked

Also i was able to connect to network printers wirelessly, so i guess it actually works

I think it is a dell internal wireless card on a inspiron 5150 P4, 512 memory, intergrated video/sound.

Edit: Im going to install osx86 10.4.5 on a Dell latitude D410 today, ill post back the results when im done

You tested it on a dell inspiron 5150 P4 w/o ht. 512 memory, dell wireless 1350 (its the base dell 5150). Alright, glad it worked w/o the command. I never actually tried it w/o command. I'll take your word for it and edit my post.

Edit: IGNORE COMMANDS.

Ignore the command. I needed it when I was patching the file. Turns out it works without the command. Basically, just drag and drop the kext into the extensions folder, reboot, and your set. Essentially the easiest wireless install available.

I have a 5150 and I drop the IO80211Family.kext file into the system/libraries/extensions folder, authenticate, it copies and replaces, and then I restart...... and it doesn't work!!! I get a message stating that it was installed improperly and needs to be reinstalled..... HELP!!!

I have a 5150 and I drop the IO80211Family.kext file into the system/libraries/extensions folder, authenticate, it copies and replaces, and then I restart...... and it doesn't work!!! I get a message stating that it was installed improperly and needs to be reinstalled..... HELP!!!

I had the same problem as you. But after seeing a few messages up about doing a repair permissions from disk utility I tried that. Rebooted again and everything is working perfectly! (Typing this message on the wireless now).

Thank you everyone! Now I don't have to run that 25 ft cable acrossed my living room floor any more! Thank you !

P.S. This is on a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a 1350 Broadcomm wireless card running 10.4.5.

I had the same problem as you. But after seeing a few messages up about doing a repair permissions from disk utility I tried that. Rebooted again and everything is working perfectly! (Typing this message on the wireless now).

Thank you everyone! Now I don't have to run that 25 ft cable acrossed my living room floor any more! Thank you !

P.S. This is on a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a 1350 Broadcomm wireless card running 10.4.5.

One problem I've found however is using access points that are encrypted with WEP 128 HEX. Un encrypted and WPA works fine. (But my work is WEP) and my card just says it can't find the network with I enter the key in.

One problem I've found however is using access points that are encrypted with WEP 128 HEX. Un encrypted and WPA works fine. (But my work is WEP) and my card just says it can't find the network with I enter the key in.

I had a similar problem. Try selecting the different types of encryption, even if it may not be the correct one. Maybe it'll work. Post if that works.

PS: glad it worked for the rest of you guys. It's an easy solution once the patched file is provided. all i need is to figure out how to get the pretty mac effects to work w/ my nvidia 6200 PCI card and the nvidia 5200 in my laptop... (if anyone knows, feel free to post)

Ok Franzy it may be somewhat off topic...but, it does if you have a Dell latitude D410 or D510...im sorry if you cant afford one of these higher "business" models but since i have one loaned out to me and my friend, it would not be off topic

Ok i tried it on a Dell latitude D410 PM, 2.0 ghz, 1 gig of ram, intel wireless, some bluetooth module, external dvd drive.

NOT SUCCESSFULL AT ALL, unless you have a spare monitor to lug around with you

SAME RESULTS WITH A Dell latitude D510, locks up on the blue screen before install

FIX: follow instructions on this page

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...0&hl=vga+dongle

Ok i tried it on a Dell latitude D410 PM, 2.0 ghz, 1 gig of ram, intel wireless, some bluetooth module, external dvd drive.

NOT SUCCESSFULL AT ALL, unless you have a spare monitor to lug around with you

SAME RESULTS WITH A Dell latitude D510, locks up on the blue screen before install

FIX: follow instructions on this page

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...0&hl=vga+dongle

I would like to add that I have had huge success installing wireless on a number of laptops, including...

- 2 inspiron 5150s w/ dell 1350 wireless

- installing on an hp

I will be sure to add more.

• 4 weeks later...

ok i have tried putting the .kext folder into the extensions folder and it doesnt do anything. it never asks to authorize the override, and when i restard it does nothing for my airport. what am i doing wrong?

ok i have tried putting the .kext folder into the extensions folder and it doesnt do anything. it never asks to authorize the override, and when i restard it does nothing for my airport. what am i doing wrong?

Not sure. Confirm that the file is actually there. Try loading the .kext with terminal; computers I have tried it on didn't need to do this but maybe it is necessary in your case.

Also, confirm the filepath. It sounds like it may be a minor problem.

If that doesn't work, be sure to report back, this time, list your wireless card.

Btw: are you running 10.4.5? I haven't tested this driver in any other version of Mac. I have a driver for 10.4.1, which is different from this, and I know that since Apple tries to carefully protect from x86 hackers, the methods for hacking each version of OS X is different and unique, even for wireless. If it is 10.4.6 you're running, I cannot guarantee it'll work.

For everyone who might be interested: I am working on an easy 'drag-and-drop' 10.4.6 wireless 'driver'.

Edit1: From what i have seen, 10.4.6 seems only to have minor changes in framework. It seems to cover some minor errors, but for the mostpart is for users who want to keep their software 'up-to-date'. With this in mind, this .kext should work. I'll try it out, and i encourage others to do the same

Not sure. Confirm that the file is actually there. Try loading the .kext with terminal; computers I have tried it on didn't need to do this but maybe it is necessary in your case.

Also, confirm the filepath. It sounds like it may be a minor problem.

If that doesn't work, be sure to report back, this time, list your wireless card.

Btw: are you running 10.4.5? I haven't tested this driver in any other version of Mac. I have a driver for 10.4.1, which is different from this, and I know that since Apple tries to carefully protect from x86 hackers, the methods for hacking each version of OS X is different and unique, even for wireless. If it is 10.4.6 you're running, I cannot guarantee it'll work.

For everyone who might be interested: I am working on an easy 'drag-and-drop' 10.4.6 wireless 'driver'.

Edit1: From what i have seen, 10.4.6 seems only to have minor changes in framework. It seems to cover some minor errors, but for the mostpart is for users who want to keep their software 'up-to-date'. With this in mind, this .kext should work. I'll try it out, and i encourage others to do the same

im running 10.4.5 on a dell inspiron 600m, with the dell internal 1350 wireless card. im running the osx off a external harddrive, and everything works except that it wont recognize my card. i tried just dropping the .kext file into the system/library/extensions folder, and got the message that it was installed improperly and needs to be installed. i saw a message about doing repair permissions, so i did that after dropping in the file. i didnt get the message anymore, but it still wont recognize my card. any ideas?

binions that's pretty strange, especially since i, myself have tested it out on three 1350 wireless cards, which all worked fine. Two of the machines were dell 5150s. I actually am working with a dell inspiron 600m and with the owner's permission might be putting 10.4.5 on it.

Anyways....

Do you get the airport sign at the top?

If not try loading the kext with the commands here:

sudo -s

kextcache -k /system/library/extensions

these should load the kext. I required them for my installation. However, my friends confirmed dragging and dropping works (without the commands) so i assumed it mite've been necessary when editing. Try it out anyways.

PS: i realized the command i had previously posted in the thread had a typo error 'librar' instead of library. This should work now. delete the current file in your extensions folder and instead insert this step here as follows.

I have taken the liberty of already patching it biggrin.gif so all you'll need is...

sudo -s

4) Now reboot!!!

Please respond if that works. I'm going to talk to my friend and experiment with the dell inspiron 600m i have at my disposal.

binions that's pretty strange, especially since i, myself have tested it out on three 1350 wireless cards, which all worked fine. Two of the machines were dell 5150s. I actually am working with a dell inspiron 600m and with the owner's permission might be putting 10.4.5 on it.

Anyways....

Do you get the airport sign at the top?

If not try loading the kext with the commands here:

sudo -s

these should load the kext. I required them for my installation. However, my friends confirmed dragging and dropping works (without the commands) so i assumed it mite've been necessary when editing. Try it out anyways.

PS: i realized the command i had previously posted in the thread had a typo error 'librar' instead of library. This should work now. delete the current file in your extensions folder and instead insert this step here as follows.

I have taken the liberty of already patching it biggrin.gif so all you'll need is...

sudo -s

4) Now reboot!!!

Please respond if that works. I'm going to talk to my friend and experiment with the dell inspiron 600m i have at my disposal.

followed the instructions exactly (except that i had to add and exit command at the end to exit terminal) and basically nothing happened. i have the airport sign at the top, but i cant go anything to configure or access airport at all. doesnt work when i plug it in with an ethernet cable either.