Overclock Celeron D

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Does anyone know how I can overclock my Celeron D 2.4GHz? It's running pretty bad at 2.4GHz so I thought it might run better with a little more speed.

thrunner

thrunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
I think in your signature, motherboard description is a typo: should be P4Dual-915GL, not 951GL. The Asrock is quite limited with OC, you may be able to raise the FSB by a little. It is a good budget system, but not much more: http://www.ocworkben...al-915gl/g1.htm

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
Thanks for finding that typo in my sig. I still havn't been able to overclock it yet though.

thrunner

thrunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
Did you look at the previous url and your manual?
http://www.ocworkben...al-915gl/g4.htm
Posted Image
http://www.ocworkben...al-915gl/b7.htm

This board does not have much options for overclocking. We tried out P4 2.4C and is disappointed that it can't go beyond 210MHz. This P4 2.4c can easily do 250MHz on most 865PE boards.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
I tried it with mine. I can only get up to 150MHz without it messing up. I overclocked it to 2.7GHz. Is there a way to make it go any higher?

REVENGE

REVENGE

Made of Win

• Retired Developers
  • 684 posts
Well normally, I would recommend getting better cooling for your cpu and start raisin that Vcore voltage. However, i dono but this may be your board's limit. Try the Anandtech overclocking forums for some better advice. GL

dripple

dripple

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Sorry for dropping in, I have a similar "wish". I have an Celeron D 345 (3.06 GHZ) and think about overclocking the CPU. My Board is an P4MAM2-V from MSI. If I enter the Setup, the only way seems to change the FSB from 133 to 142, I can't change the multiplier.

Has anyone an idea?

dripple

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
I have a celeron d 2.13ghz. It can do 3.8GHz stable with stock cooling at 1.5v on my abit IC7 239MHz FSB, but on my p4dual 915gl, the fsb won't go above 150. I think the board is too stupid to change the memory and PCI dividers at higher FSB speeds. It just sets the dividers for the auto detect fsb speed and that's it.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
how do you change the voltage?

MarcusAurelius

MarcusAurelius

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
you can't on the p4dual, but the voltage is not the problem. Even if the CPU can do 3.6GHz at default voltage, which is likely. Setting the FSB to 200MHz would run your RAM at 500MHz (250MHz DDR), because with a 133MHz CPU it the bios only lets you choose 333MHz(5:4) or 400MHz(3:2) which at 200MHz is 500MHz and 600MHz respectively.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
then how come with mine i can only set it from 133 to 150? :)

New001

New001

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 290 posts

then how come with mine i can only set it from 133 to 150? :)

I think it's because MarcusAurelius said that you could only run it that high becasue any higher would make the RAM go too fast.

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
could i some how make the RAM slow down or do I just have to keep it at what it is?

New001

New001

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 290 posts

could i some how make the RAM slow down or do I just have to keep it at what it is?

When you clock the Bus speed faster, there's no option to keep your RAM at a slower speed from what I've heard.

Jauhari

Jauhari

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for tricks, I will try on celeron mobile.
Does it work?

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts
It worked for me. I got mine up to 2.7GHz from the original 2.4GHz :D

Hobo Man

Hobo Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

It worked for me. I got mine up to 2.7GHz from the original 2.4GHz :poster_oops:

whoa thats a tiny OC... my celeron 2.66ghz is running at 4ghz

Colonel

Colonel

11 Herbs & Spices

• Retired
  • 4,157 posts

whoa thats a tiny OC... my celeron 2.66ghz is running at 4ghz

How did you manage to do that? :) Please tell us how.

Darth Circuit

Darth Circuit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for tricks, I will try on celeron mobile.

bad call man. trying to overclock a mobile computer is generally a bad idea, basically because of the lack of upgradable cooling. if you think your lappy can handle it, more power to ya.

imo, overclocking a celeron probably wouldnt make much of a difference. if i recall, my brother overclocked his and my pIII still knocked it out of the water. its all in the cache. if it works for you guys, Great! ill stick with buying a p4, or an amd 64.

Hobo Man

Hobo Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
I Just Bumped Up The FSB to 200mhz (at least the BIOS told me it was 200mhz) on stock voltage, whent straght to 4ghz

it stays cool too, at 50 degrees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy