Fallout 3 using Oblivion's Cider

Foodie Monster

33 posts in this topic

Has anyone tried running Fallout 3 using Oblivion's cider .app? It *is* the same game engine after all. And to my surprise, the game runs even smoother than Oblivion ever did on this setup (on Windows, of course), so I kinda think there's a chance that it might work.

Anyone tried it?

Yep.

Although I can't get it to work. I remember I couldn't get Oblivion running the first time until somebody else had set a particular .ini file.

EDIT - the game also requires a few new DLLs (most notably the Windows LIVE stuff).

As for bootcamp, yeah... this game runs SMOOTH (smoother than Oblivion ever could with the visual quality).. when it doesn't CTD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@SHADO5 If the game won't run the first time, go in the Contents/MacOS/ folder, and double click the binary directly, to see any debug info. Im working on porting assassin's creed, now im nearly done, but the original no-cd patch doesn't work with cider, so I'm going to have to work around that :S

Good luck with the Fallout3! Keep us updated on the progress! :)

From Crossover Game Forum

I've gotten Fallout3 to load to the main menu, by following the Tips & Tricks posted, and I have a couple more tricks.

"No Sound Device Detected" from FalloutLauncher.exe:

This error seems only to happen while the intro audio track is playing. If you wait for the sound track to stop playing, clicking "Play" succeeds without the "No Sound Device Detected" error. If you rename/remove the intro audio track file (sorry I don't remember the exact filename at the moment) in the Fallout 3 directory, this error doesn't happen at all.

"No Disk Inserted"

I have the retail DVD package. I found a torrent containing a "patched" FalloutLauncher.exe as a drop-in replacement. This doesn't ask for the DVD, so I'm able to play. Seems preferable to copying the entire DVD to my drive and messing with daemon tools or whatnot. I don't feel too guilty using a "cracked" binary since I own the DVD. But I did have to download it from Russia, which made me feel a little dirty. At least it's kept in a bottle :wacko:

I found I had to run the GLSL regedit change a couple times before it stuck. But with that in place, and the xinput1_3.dll, and the above changes, Fallout loads to the main menu from the FalloutLauncher.exe for me.

From here on though, what's the point? I haven't heard anyone successfully get a new game to actually start. It's pretty cool to see the menu screen and all, but I think more of a tease than anything. I have played this a bit on a windows box, so I tried copying some savegames to my bottle and loading those instead of starting a new game. But no dice. Also tried removing the video/music files in case one of those were the issue. No change.

I can try to grab some backtraces of the crashing process, but is there anyone here (besides the CodeWeavers folks) who can make anything of that data?

Anyone got further than the Main Menu screen?

Cosmo

• 2 weeks later...