Leo4AllV3 Dell Studio Graphics and WiFi

CompCrasher86

221 posts in this topic

i pretty much followed all your instructions. its fine though, i just set my bios to boot to CD and left the OS disk in my drive.

i need this computer to DJ and vista wasn't working well for me, i'm gonna test it all day tomorrow and i hope its stable enough for me to use in the club friday and saturday nights.

thanks for this though!

Boombeng, I have an odd situation. Im getting what appears to be kernal panics after installing your kext.

To anybody else who gets these, reboot, press F8 at darwin prompt, type "-s" (yes weve done this before) and once you get the terminal-like interface, type in "rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5787M" press enter, put in exit, enter, and your computer will boot normally. Stay put until we find out whats wrong

Never mind I found the problem. Removed the kext, restarted, reinstalled the kext, repaired permissions manually (can also be done with Extension-Repair app included with Leo4All or found in my driver pack) restarted and all was well! Thanks for the ethernet. Even though I know I will probably never use it, its great to have it available if you go to a hotel or something

Guide has been updated with an explanation of how to get Ethernet working. Im going to hold off on the audio explanation until we have headphones working and the final kext is released (thanks to our invaluable ridgeline)

Repair permissions after the installation of a kext is better, and often, quiet always recommanded!! I use Onyx to do it, and i see you use Extension-Repair app, but you can also do it without any applications, just use OSX disk utilities (Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) select the good drive then push the "Repair Disk Permissions" button...

And bluetooth is not a lost cause, we have the BCM2046B1 in our hackbook and it is recognised (check about this Mac/more info and go to USB, here is our bluetooth card!!!!)

Dell_studio_Bluetooth.tiff

So now the problem is to make it work... I've seen in another thread that for some of dell 350 cards (which is a BCM2045 i think), a Winows vista driver change is needed (if dual boot or first vista instalation before OSX, what is a serial fact for dell studios...) because of a flash memory problem or a thing like that... let's have a look and report

Here is a Linux user probleme with the same BCM2046B1 :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6102162

bye

hi, more noob help needed...

i ran the bcm43xx_enabler and i get a message asking where the AppleAirPort4311.kext is located. now the path it specified is correct, its in there but for some reason its saying that its an invalid path. anyone else get this prob? thanks in advace :(

hi, more noob help needed...

i ran the bcm43xx_enabler and i get a message asking where the AppleAirPort4311.kext is located. now the path it specified is correct, its in there but for some reason its saying that its an invalid path. anyone else get this prob? thanks in advace :(

Just put the file on your desktop, open terminal and type :

sudo /Users/Your User Name/Desktop/bcm43xx_enabler.sh

then enter your password as asked and press enter, you will have different options, if you always press enter it will be OK

I also copy myself from another thread :| :

About bluetooth : i'm dualbooting OSX (Ideneb) and Vista, and when i uninstall bluetooth driver in vista and then reboot in OSX, the bluetooth light turns on... and the computer is recognised by my phone but can not connect = so there is a bluetooth signal!!

But I can not check the bluetooth options in OSX!!! damned

P.P.S. you still need the HDAenabler so just install this kext over the old AppleHDA.kext

Hi ridgeline! I'm a newbie, so sorry if I a bother with a silly question...

Could you tell me what "old" AppleHDA.kext I should have installed prior to yours? I just installed your kext over a fresh install but nothing happens.

Thanks for your time and help!

moregain, you dont need any prior kexts, its just cause ive been testing out a couple of his kexts. Download his latest kext and also get HDAEnabler (I attached it to this post for your convenience). Install them both, repair permissions, and reboot. Good luck

HDAEnabler.kext.zip

Thanks a lot, Comp!

This morning I quickly tried to install HDEnabler on the system with AppleHDA.kext previusly installed but, as I thought, didn't worked.Tonight I'll try uninstalling both kexts, reverting the original AppleHDA and then installing both at the same install, repair permissions, cross fingers and reboot.

BTW: to revert to the original state, I must unistall the kexts, install the original AppleHDA kext from the backup kexthelper made, repair permissions and that's it, right?

BTW2: WiFi worked perfect after installing the update, thx ridgeline! I'm trying Kalyway.

If that does not work for some reason moregain please let me know and I will walk you through process. Did you upgrade your audio card when you got your dell or is it just the IDT.... Please go to the system profiler and give me the number under the audio for your ID before you uninstall anything.

Thanks, Mark

If that does not work for some reason moregain please let me know and I will walk you through process. Did you upgrade your audio card when you got your dell or is it just the IDT.... Please go to the system profiler and give me the number under the audio for your ID before you uninstall anything.

Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark, I have the standard audio (IDT). I'm not with the machine right here, but I remember checking at "about this mac" (I think this is the system profiler) and there wasn't any audio device listed at the "Audio (Built It)" item. It looked the same before and after installing your kext.

Tonight I'll double check that and tell you.

Thanks for your time and help,

more

If that is the case it sounds like the Hdaenabler may not have been installed correctly did you restart the machine after you installed the enabler? also when you boot up you should see the hdaenabler if you boot in to verbose mode. Please try this first ...

Thanks, mark

yes, I am interested in moregains case. The driver is great, thanks a lot ridgeline. Something I have noticed, obviously Im not going to complain about it, audio alone is good enough, Ive noticed that when two programs try and play sounds at the same time, I.e. an ichat sound when I am playing music in itunes, the audio distorts, then goes back to normal. I imagine it is a minor bug but it doesnt matter too much to me because audio in itself if a gift. Moregain, I would suggest retrying because its worth a shot. Make sure both HDAEnabler and AppleHDA are installed correctly and also, make sure that ALCInject kext is not installed either, that could mess you up.

Well guys, here I am.

There's no sign of HDAenabler nor AppleHDA in my boot messages.

I've also checked System Profiler - Software - Extensions and can't find any extension listed under those names.

Those were my first kext installations (at all!), the only thing I installed prior this was the apple update to get the wifi working and a couple of programs (firefox, foxmarks, etc).

I installed the kexts (first AppleHDA and, hours and a couple of reboots later, HDAenabler) using kext helper, and it has created a backup of AppleHDA.kext in the process.

BTW, there's no sign of ALCInject either at the boot nor at the system profiler.

Thanks a lot,

more

Moregain, if you have AppleAzalia.kext remove it

I don't see AppleAzalia.kext in system profiler BUT there is AppleAzaliaController.kext

Also, I've checked what is at /System/Library/Extensions/ and there is AppleHDA.kext, with size 2.3MB vs 2.5MB of the AppleHDA.kext in kexthelper's backup so I think it's Marks' one that, for one reason, it's no loaded and that's the reason why isn't showing at system profiler, am I right?

So maybe the problem is that HDAenabler.kext weren't succesfull installed at all and that's why AppleHDA.kext is not loaded? There's no HDAenabler.kext at /System/Library/Extensions/

Should I try to install HDAenabler.kext again?

I don't want to mess things, that's why I ask before try.

Cheers,

more

Guys, I reinstalled both kexts and worked. Now I have audio!

Thanks a lot for the help and patience!

Now I'm going for the lan... see you there, hehe.

If I can help reporting or testing something, just let me know.

Cheers,

more

You're welcome :)

Which wifi card do you have ? You can PM

Hello evryone!

I just want to say a very big THANK YOU to CompCrasher86 and the others!

Mac OS X is really good, and it will be better with 1280 X 800 =p

I have no sound but I will try to solve the problem tomorrow.

(I'm french so sorry for bad english ^^")

Are you running the dell post installer by sonotone? It will help with that but your power management scheme will make a big difference also. If you have not installed it I would and then report your time mine says 2:30 however windows reports more I have never really had a battery with my type of usage last more the 1:30-2 hours......

P.S. if you run the post installer only install the power management section....

Audio works well but the whole headphones issue is not resolved yet, so your stuck with the speakers, the arent that bad but I am a sucker for good speakers.

I have tried making the upgrade to 10.5.5 and I almost lost everything, even Vista. I had to reinstall for the most part so my 2 cents is that it was a huge faiure trying to update. If you get it woking though, please do share

Ridgeline, I've noticed that the first kext you posted here, it only gave us simple sound without volume control or microphone, etc., but the headphones ports still gave out audio, even if the speaker remained on. Now the whole card just seems to crash and no audio comes out if you plug in headphones. Any idea why? (Just some questions and info to inspire you as you work on the driver)