Quick and dirty pc into a g3 case mod

10 posts in this topic

Hi, someone gave me a broken g3 b&w so i thought i would have a bash at getting my pc into it, way easier than i thought, used a hacksaw and some superglue, no kidding! The power supply was a standard atx 400w jobbie, fitted straight in, motherboard is an asrock p4 dual, used the original posts from the old logic board, literally pulled them off the tray with a pair of pliers and stuck them back down in the right position for the asrock, optical tray was hacked with a hacksaw to allow the two ram sticks to sit otherwise it got in the way and wouldnt let the tray/side close properly, all i have to do now is get the power switch wired up, and some lighting, i have used an old pc switch which is hanging out the back out of the way for now, whole thing took about three hours in total...Just thought you might be interested to see it......

post-22237-1143616458_thumb.jpg post-22237-1143616496_thumb.jpg post-22237-1143616530_thumb.jpg post-22237-1143616569_thumb.jpg

ta, didnt have the time to invest in a huge project but this went a lot better than i thought, (bit rought around the edges...literally) but it works and does give that authentic mac feel when using it i suppose, i have a mini but does not look so impessive as having a proper mac tower to look at :blink:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had some trouble with my mobo's dimms hitting too so I tried turning the board a different direction. And presto! Not as factory finish and will need to run some extensions to make usb ports more accessible but 100% funtional and now I have access to all 4 dimm slots! Only challenging part was the need modify a couple of capacitors that were still hitting the internal drive cage. Take a look see if you can live with it.

http://www.illstyleproductions.com/pixelmix/g4casemod/

• 1 month later...

I am in the process of finishing a Beige G3 minitower conversion. Turns out that by removing the fan from the Intel-supplied fan assembly, the passive radiator core fits nicely (within 10 mm) below the stock Apple blower (when the power supply portion is folded in and locked down). Temperature runs the same as with the Intel fan attached to the radiator (the fan in the stock Apple blower is a 120 mm and pulls a lot of air). I removed the front speaker and drilled out the speaker holes. Then added dual 60 mm fans to pull air into the case. The Pentium D 930 @ stock 3.0 GHz runs at 40 - 50 C. Added a reset button to the front, just above the power button. Opened up the back panel area and the stock Intel faceplate fits in nicely. I have an Intel D945GTPKLR board that fits with space to spare. Am adding a card reader/firewire/USB port to the front (modified the Zip cover to accept the 3.5" card reader) and when I get the whole thing done, I'll post pix. A Beige G3 minitower case sells for about $30 on eBay, and the steel is strong enough that a great deal of modding can be done and still have a strong case. Running 10.4.6 (the latest JaS updates seem to have broken networking) with a Buffalo wireless card the worked in the G3 while running 10.3.x on a 500MHz G3 upgrade. All of the other functions on the board work (Network, Sound, SATA, IDE, Firewire, USB 2.0, Keyboard, Mouse), so I now have a very speedy backup to my Powerbook G4. Am finishing the cosmetic mods (filling in the gaps from the removed AV identity card in the back case cover with pieces cut from a spare Beige case).

Dr J

Original Hackintosh: SE/30 dropped into a PC AT slimline case with a Micron Xceed color card, whopping 20 MB hard drive, Syquest 10 MB removable drive (1987)

Current Hackintosh: Intel Celeron @ 2.8 GHz, ECS 915 motherboard, Radeon x300 pcie video, 2 GB DDR/2, 120 GB WD SATA (SATA to IDE adapter), 120 GB Maxtor IDE, Pioneer 106 DVDRW drive, Belkin Wireless card, SIIG combo LAN/USB/Firewire pci card.