IntelCpuPowerManagement disabler kext

davidcmc

13 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for providing the disabler. I got some more questions:

1. can we use this kext to disable other kexts aswell? means is this a generic kext disabler?

2. how would i need to configure the included plist to disable - say - audio devices?

3.a. An example that is integrated yet and that obviously disables AppleACPIPlatform.kext, right?

3.b. Why is the string in here called AppleACPIPlatformExpert, while the kext is named AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

3.c. the code:

Upd:

3.a. this seems to deactivate AppleEFIRuntime.kext

3.b. what does the string AppleACPIPlatformExpert do?

<key>EFIRuntimeDisabler</key>
<dict>	
	<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
	<string>net.osrom.kext.Disabler</string>
	<key>IOClass</key>
	<string>Disabler</string>
	<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
	<string>AppleEFIRuntime</string>
	<key>IOProbeScore</key>
	<integer>1000</integer>
	<key>IOProviderClass</key>
	<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
	<key>IOResourceMatch</key>
	<string>ACPI</string>
</dict>

Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys

x!

Thanks for providing the disabler. I got some more questions:

1. can we use this kext to disable other kexts aswell? means is this a generic kext disabler?

2. how would i need to configure the included plist to disable - say - audio devices?

3.a. An example that is integrated yet and that obviously disables AppleACPIPlatform.kext, right?

3.b. Why is the string in here called AppleACPIPlatformExpert, while the kext is named AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

3.c. the code:

Upd:

3.a. this seems to deactivate AppleEFIRuntime.kext

3.b. what does the string AppleACPIPlatformExpert do?

<key>EFIRuntimeDisabler</key>
 <dict>	
	 <key>IOClass</key>
	 <string>AppleEFIRuntime</string>
	 <key>IOProbeScore</key>
	 <integer>1000</integer>
	 <string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
	 <string>ACPI</string>
 </dict>

Any hints highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, guys

x!

It only disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleEFIRuntime.kext, as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext makes hackintoshes kernel panic if they don't have a BIOS DSDT that's been corrected to fix it, and AppleEFIRuntime.kext can sometimes just cause problems.

AppleACPIPlatformExpert is a part of the IOProviderClass, an explanation as follows:

>

^^ Basically just using AppleACPIPlatformExpert as a keyword to match against AppleEFIRuntime to make sure it's disabling the proper kext.

This is all part of the OS X IOKit, if you want more information: http://beta.devworld.apple.com/documentati...CH204-TPXREF101

Thanks for getting back so quick!!!

It only disables AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleEFIRuntime.kext, as AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext makes hackintoshes kernel panic if they don't have a BIOS DSDT that's been corrected to fix it, and AppleEFIRuntime.kext can sometimes just cause problems.

In my Disabler.kext there are obviously three entries that define disabled kexts:

I. AppleEFIRuntime (as you mentioned)

II. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (as you mentioned, too)

III. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

To make sure I really understood you: I cannot put another kext to this plist to have it disabled?

Kudos!

Thanks for getting back so quick!!!

In my Disabler.kext there are obviously three entries that define disabled kexts:

I. AppleEFIRuntime (as you mentioned)

II. AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (as you mentioned, too)

III. ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin

To make sure I really understood you: I cannot put another kext to this plist to have it disabled?

Kudos!

Technically you could, but you would have to insert all the remaining IOKit information (CFBundleIdentifier, IOClass, IOMatchCategory, IOProbeScore, IOProviderClass, IOResourceMatch) for those other kexts you were to disable into another section of the plist)

@REALITYISWHERE: Thanks!

I expect the Disabler.kext will become soon very famous in Boot 132 / Vanilla Retail install environments (Munky's EFI partition approach!).

I am trying to get my ALC889a chipset to work and my idea was to use ALCinject.kext and modded AppleHDA.kext on EFI partition and disable the vanilla AppleHDA. I thought to approach that way:

1. Installing the ALCInject and modded AppleHDA in the /System/Library/Extensions folder, then reboot with -f

2. Moving the ALCInject and modded AppleHDA to the Boot 132 CD and remove any AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions, then reboot with -f

3. Have ALCInject and modde AppleHDA on Boot 132 CD and disable vanilla AppleHDA from /System/Library/Extensions using the Disabler.kext

Ad 1.) success with sound, though no information in System Profiler (anyway I don't care about this currently)

Ad 2.) no success and Munky also said this does not work but I don't understand why - any explanations (I asked more or less the same question here in Stickpin's Legacy AppleHDA threat, but didn't get any answers yet)

Ad 3.) will be investigated when step 2 works, therefore my question for the behaviour of Disabler.kext

What do you think?

@REALITYISWHERE: Thanks!

I expect the Disabler.kext will become soon very famous in Boot 132 / Vanilla Retail install environments (Munky's EFI partition approach!).

I am trying to get my ALC889a chipset to work and my idea was to use ALCinject.kext and modded AppleHDA.kext on EFI partition and disable the vanilla AppleHDA. I thought to approach that way:

1. Installing the ALCInject and modded AppleHDA in the /System/Library/Extensions folder, then reboot with -f

2. Moving the ALCInject and modded AppleHDA to the Boot 132 CD and remove any AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions, then reboot with -f

3. Have ALCInject and modde AppleHDA on Boot 132 CD and disable vanilla AppleHDA from /System/Library/Extensions using the Disabler.kext

Ad 1.) success with sound, though no information in System Profiler (anyway I don't care about this currently)

Ad 2.) no success and Munky also said this does not work but I don't understand why - any explanations (I asked more or less the same question here in Stickpin's Legacy AppleHDA threat, but didn't get any answers yet)

Ad 3.) will be investigated when step 2 works, therefore my question for the behaviour of Disabler.kext

What do you think?

O.o

I'm not even sure ALCinject.kext will allow ALC889a to work, as everyone uses HDAenabler.kext with it, in conjunction with the modified AppleHDA.kext.

HDAenabler.kext also fixes the system profiler sound information.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

Thanks. The HDAEnabler.kext does not work for me. I still use the ALCinject.kext and the modded AppleHDA.kext in 10.5.5 and it works if getting installed to the /s/l/e folder, the munky efi partition works aswell, but as said not for the audio - and I still don't understand why.

anyway: thanks a lot!!!

• 4 months later...

I am completely lost.....

Had NullCPUPowermanagent.kext installed with xxx 10.5.6 then installed a custom Disabler.kext using kexthelper (which also should block AppleUpstreamUserClient for QT mouselag fix). Deleted NullCpuPowermanagement.kext. Repaired Permissions, Set Extensions permissions, cleaned cache using OSX86Tools.

Now SystemProfiler/Extensions only shows Disabler.kext, BUT still shows the AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement + AppleUpstreamUserClient in the list THOUGH mouselag is still gone....

Strange thing is, the time i had both disablers installed, AppleUpStreamUserClient was not shown in SystemProfiler/Extensions.

really clueless.

Update: from the info.plist inside the Disabler.kext:

<key>AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>100</integer>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<string>IOKit</string>

changing this value to 100 (1000 stock) results in AppleUpstreamClient not showing anymore in SystemProfiles/Extensions

changing this value for the AppleIntelCPuPowermanagement part of the code to 100 seems not to work, since it is still listed.

After trying different values, and no success i went back to "100" and now AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement AND AppleUpstreamClient show AGAIN.... is this random?

• 8 months later...