Pimp My Mac(tel)

seano

46 posts in this topic

Why is the word 'Micro' in the name of that case?!? It's the same size as my mini fridge holding the beer in my living room! Just think, you could rig that thing to run mac osx and hold a 6pack for you while you tinker with the os...

You think that's big the one i'm looking into is just about twice the size of it!

It's a very old computer/sever/monstrosity from the early 80's.

The reason why it has micro in its name is becuase its the small version of its kind.

Normal vax's can be big enough to fill up an entire room!

What I want to do to it is, after I have the computer in it, rig it up to power on from the little things people use to unlock there cars. Then I want to make it look like a vintage car. The plans are still in there early stages. :)

That could actually be pretty cool. If you also have a windows box you can mount both in that one massive case, not like you'll be short on room inside...it may take some intensive modding to get both boards mounted correctly but probably worth it. goodluck

That could actually be pretty cool. If you also have a windows box you can mount both in that one massive case, not like you'll be short on room inside...it may take some intensive modding to get both boards mounted correctly but probably worth it. goodluck

Thanks! I'll need it! :)

• 3 weeks later...

well it's a work in progress but i took some photos, still can't decide whether to paint this box a glossy white but I am planning on cutting an apple logo somewhere, inserting some translucent plexi glass and putting an lcd light behind it (like on the ibooks/powerbooks). I also managed to stealth the DVDRW drive on the front panel. it's behind the large silver plate, honestly. I can't take credit for the idea to do that, i got it from here I had to cut some of the copper fins off that hsf because it was too close to the psu and wouldnt fit otherwise

post-17978-1145652094_thumb.jpg

post-17978-1145652115_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
well it's a work in progress but i took some photos, still can't decide whether to paint this box a glossy white but I am planning on cutting an apple logo somewhere, inserting some translucent plexi glass and putting an lcd light behind it (like on the ibooks/powerbooks). I also managed to stealth the DVDRW drive on the front panel. it's behind the large silver plate, honestly. I can't take credit for the idea to do that, i got it from here I had to cut some of the copper fins off that hsf because it was too close to the psu and wouldnt fit otherwise

great, this means the Zalman CNPS7700 fits to the Asus P5LD2-VM mainboard? on the zalman-hp its not in the compatibility list?!

lg

Mikemad

MikeMad - Yeah the zalman fan fits on there perfectly! My problem was a case size issue not a board problem. didn't drop my temps much if any though. if you get the cnps7700 would you mind posting the before/after temps? Thanks

MikeMad - Yeah the zalman fan fits on there perfectly! My problem was a case size issue not a board problem. didn't drop my temps much if any though. if you get the cnps7700 would you mind posting the before/after temps? Thanks

thx for your help. great news, but i desided to take the CNPS9500 AT.

lg

Mikemad

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

3.2Ghz P4 640 @3.81Ghz (2MB L2 Cache, 950Mhz System Bus)

Asus P5GV-MX Motherboard (Intel 915GV Chipset)

2GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 (2 x 1024MB)

250GB Maxtor Diamondmax 10 7200RPM SATA HD

80GB 2.5" External Toshiba 5400RPM HD (originally from Powerbook)

Toshiba 8x DVD-RW (finder burning supported)

LiteOn 52x CD-RW (finder burning supported)

Onboard Intel GMA900 Video (QE & CI supported)

19" Acer Widescreen Flat Panel Display (1440x900)

Logitech Cordless MX Duo Keyboard/Mouse

M-Audio Firewire Audiophile Soundcard

15" Aluminum Powerbook G4 Dual Layer Superdrive (October 2005)

1GB Ram (2 x 512MB)

Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HD

Netgear DG-834G Wireless Router/ADSL modem

Epson Stylus R300 Photo & DVD/CD Printer

Alesis M1 Active MKIII Studio Monitors

Evolution UC-33 Midi Controller

Evolution MK-4902 49-Key Midi Keyboard

My old rig, sitting on the shelf, caseless, still functional:

Athlon XP 2600+ (1.9Ghz)

Abit KD7 Motherboard (Via KT400 Chipset)

1GB DDR333 (4 x 256MB)

160GB Maxtor Diamondmax 9 PATA HD

ATI Radeon 8500 128MB Video (AGP 4x)

What do you think about my modded PowerMac G5?

Holy shiznit, that's exactly what I've been wanting to do for a while now. Two questions though.

1) How did you go about mounting the motherboard, seeing as the pegs don't line up properly with a standard ATX mobo?

2) How did you decide to arrange the ports in the back? Did you actually (ghasp) cut into that beautiful g5 case? If you could post some pics from the build that would be sweet :)

Thanks

Holy shiznit, that's exactly what I've been wanting to do for a while now. Two questions though.

1) How did you go about mounting the motherboard, seeing as the pegs don't line up properly with a standard ATX mobo?

2) How did you decide to arrange the ports in the back? Did you actually (ghasp) cut into that beautiful g5 case? If you could post some pics from the build that would be sweet :)

Thanks

In this topic click you can see how i did it. Thanks for the nice reactions!

• 2 weeks later...

Dafut - your case is a G5 no doubt, and I love what you did with it. It looks very clean with the white lights and the copper. Is the apple etched into the plexi?

For some reason I was thinking Dr. Fresh was saying that his modded box was a G5 case?!?! I must have been drinking when I posted that, sorry for the confusion.

ahoi donicci,

if you are looking for it further, keep this link up:

http://www.codegengroup.com/index.php?cPath=25_36

there you can find lookalikes of a g5.

i bought the "Briza-99-CA" in silvershinin´ half year ago, and they are still available. google for a local store.....

good product !!

quality not like the original, but fits all components without any probs and only for 60 bucks !!

greetz knobsi