OS X Live: Developers' Private Discussion

REVENGE

136 posts in this topic

Hi Spartango,

Yes the INSTAHackintosh LiveDVD builder works beautifully well (tested it myself, and I'm programming a GUI for it). What would be cool next is a way to automatically load the LiveDVD without having to enter sh /etc/rc.liveboot init on every boot. I'm assuming that this would go into one of the rc scripts (you said you were looking into it). However after talking with bhast2, he said that he got the rc.liveboot to auto run on every boot by just placing a kernel flag in com.apple.boot.plist. Is this even possible? :) He did not tell me what the kernel flag was but to my current knowledge I don't know of a flag that would directly load a script upon startup, unless it was a flag somehow built into the kernel which as far as I know does not exist in any current kernels today. I'll try talking with him later to find out more about this.

Second thing: it would be nice (if possible) to find a way where people with less than 1.1GB RAM (that's what the current RAM disk requires to my knowledge) could boot the LiveDVD. I'm not sure, but did this restriction apply to modbin's method as well? I assume it would since he used a ramdisk as well...

In terms of an ISO release, I have that covered with the final release of the iPC LiveDVD which packs a full iPC 10.5.6 installation with 200+ drivers and packages + a 10.5.6 LiveDVD base into a single layer DVD (right on the money at 4.36GB :D). But I still need some feedback from testers etc. etc. LiveDVD members can PM me if they want to submit a "request" to me in terms of iPC ;)

Second thing: it would be nice (if possible) to find a way where people with less than 1.1GB RAM (that's what the current RAM disk requires to my knowledge) could boot the LiveDVD. I'm not sure, but did this restriction apply to modbin's method as well? I assume it would since he used a ramdisk as well...

Yeah the "old" dvd required a minimum of 20MB ram disk to load. I had this rc.cdrom where you could enter the ram disk size of your choice during boot. The rc.cdrom is also a good place to add the rc.liveboot init stuff :D

Ah yes spartango said that he had something similar with rc.liveboot where you could enter the ramdisk size. So how would you put in rc.liveboot into rc.cdrom? Would you basically copy/paste the stuff from do_init() and then add all the separate functions in as well (e.g. RAMDisk() )

I'm uber busy. I'm throwing what i believe is mediocre/poorly written stuff around with some ppl for want of time myself to sit and perfect the script. UGH! Anyway, now that this works, what do we want? A builder exists(thx pcwiz), and easy howtos. What kind of things can we do to make this more useful/better?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to attempt to create a very small LiveDVD based on Bootable OS X Utilities by tesseract. Its basically a very minimal OS X install (based on the OS X installer) that can run a fair number of apps. I'll contact tesseract to get some advice about putting better OS X frameworks on the DVD, then (thanks to spartango for the idea) I'll try and create an iPhone like GUI for access to the most common functions :D

• 1 month later...

Here's how to speed up the boot and run rc.liveboot automatically

First, there are lines under rc.liveboot that only cause the boot process to slowdown and does not do anything (in rc.netboot, it searches for an HFS+ partition to put the shadowfile on)

Remove these lines from rc.liveboot to speed up the process

volinfo=`autodiskmount -F 2>/dev/null`
#if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
#	echo "autodiskmount -F found no local drives"
#return 1
#fi
set ${volinfo}
devname=$1
fstype=$2

These are under local_mount()

Next, OSX automatically runs /etc/rc.cdrom if it exists, we will utilize it to automatically run rc.liveboot

Put these in rc.cdrom

sh /etc/rc.liveboot init
launchctl load -D system

while true
do
sleep 9999999999
done

Note that rc.cdrom will have to always run in the background otherwise the system will reboot. Also, without removing the above lines in /etc/rc.liveboot, my live osx won't boot, so please remove them also.

Another thing is that rc.cdrom and anything launched from it can't print to console, it's probably because of how launchd works.

That's all. Hope it'll be useful.