OS X Live: Developers' Private Discussion

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Software Updater

Software Updater

Apparently someone likes me...

• Donators
  • 529 posts
I have a free domain name on my package so, let me know if you want me to add one.

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Um...i'm kinda stuck, but almost there with something we can make nice.
The livedvd boots and gets to the loginscreen, but i can't login because looks like the directoryservice user files in /var/db/dslocal have to be read-write. If i put them in the ramdisk to make them read-write, ds can't find them or the root user and dies. Any ideas on how to solve this? I'm hoping that if we can get around that hurdle, ~pcwiz and Moc should be able to deploy their detection suite on this setup, and we can add in other things as well. note that because i'm using boot-132, drivers can also be provided via initrd.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,874 posts
spartango: could you use a symlink from where you had them the first time (where they were read only) to where they are on the ramdisk?

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
right, that's what the modbin instructions suggest and that's what i just tried, good thought. Didn't work tho. I'm thinking this is something todo with the nature of the contents of dslocal. I noticed that Modbin's RamDisk bin actually copies a directory's contents, so perhaps this is failing to copy??
Anyone have this working? perhaps share a piece?

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
is there a way you could check to see if it was copied? like ls /var/db ?

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
hmm
i'll try in single user mode and see...

~Penguin.Osx86~

~Penguin.Osx86~

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
i hope there is someway that i can help. I could test it if you need anyone to.

I think my specs are in my sig under the vmware {censored}.

~Penguin

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Penguin(and others): I've hashed out how the boot-132 live dvd will work, and have it mostly working...
What I would really appreciate is if you can replicate my method and try to build this thing on your own, so we can compare results and get an idea of how bugs can be ironed out of the main distro. After that we can formalize the generation of the livedvd, and play with drivers.

So...what you need to do to build a modbin-hagar-spartango dvd/usb stick(its identical to the dvd, the distro is still readonly, just easier to debug and fix):
target media = either usb stick or dvd

0. Prepare a FRESH installation of leopard on a drive, and enable root user and root autologin. You may want to clean up the install some, but the modbin guide will help with that. Note target media should not be this drive.

1. Install boot-132 and the associated boot files to the target media. Include an initrd with your system's drivers and such. Include IOHDIXController.kext[modify it and ALL of its plugins to say root instead of network-root]. Enable permissions on the target.
2. Place kernel (mach_kernel), .fseventsd , .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes from your installation onto the target media.
3. Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the target media. Place it in [media]/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
4. Do the same for /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Copy it to /System/Library/ on the target media.
CHECK: Your target media should still be pretty empty, you haven't put the os pieces there yet.
5. Follow modbin's guide on how to prepare an osx live dvd, operating on your FRESH install: http://forum.insanel...amp;mode=linear . BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. When your done with that, use disk utility to create a READ-WRITE disk image of the drive you did that to.
6. Convert that disk image to compressed, and save the output to the target media's /.
7. Edit Boot.plist to have:
-v rp=file:///LIVE.dmg
in kernel arguments.
8. Fix the permissions on everything if necessary.
9. Reboot and boot from target Media.

I apologize if these instructions are a bit odd... we're still bleeding edge and i assume you have done some of these thing before...i'll pub better ones later.

~Penguin.Osx86~

~Penguin.Osx86~

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Penguin(and others): I've hashed out how the boot-132 live dvd will work, and have it mostly working...
What I would really appreciate is if you can replicate my method and try to build this thing on your own, so we can compare results and get an idea of how bugs can be ironed out of the main distro. After that we can formalize the generation of the livedvd, and play with drivers.

So...what you need to do to build a modbin-hagar-spartango dvd/usb stick(its identical to the dvd, the distro is still readonly, just easier to debug and fix):
target media = either usb stick or dvd

0. Prepare a FRESH installation of leopard on a drive, and enable root user and root autologin. You may want to clean up the install some, but the modbin guide will help with that. Note target media should not be this drive.

1. Install boot-132 and the associated boot files to the target media. Include an initrd with your system's drivers and such. Include IOHDIXController.kext[modify it and ALL of its plugins to say root instead of network-root]. Enable permissions on the target.
2. Place kernel (mach_kernel), .fseventsd , .Spotlight-V100, .Trashes from your installation onto the target media.
3. Copy /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist to the target media. Place it in [media]/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
4. Do the same for /System/Library/Extensions.mkext. Copy it to /System/Library/ on the target media.
CHECK: Your target media should still be pretty empty, you haven't put the os pieces there yet.
5. Follow modbin's guide on how to prepare an osx live dvd, operating on your FRESH install: http://forum.insanel...amp;mode=linear . BE VERY CAREFUL HERE. When your done with that, use disk utility to create a READ-WRITE disk image of the drive you did that to.
6. Convert that disk image to compressed, and save the output to the target media's /.
7. Edit Boot.plist to have:
-v rp=file:///LIVE.dmg
in kernel arguments.
8. Fix the permissions on everything if necessary.
9. Reboot and boot from target Media.

I apologize if these instructions are a bit odd... we're still bleeding edge and i assume you have done some of these thing before...i'll pub better ones later.

ok, i get what your saying for the most part. i'll try, and see what i get, but i can't put this full time yet, got school {censored} going on lately so this will be on the backburner for now, but around thanksgiving, i'll be able to get more accomplished!
thanks for the guide

~Penguin

~Penguin.Osx86~

~Penguin.Osx86~

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Also, would it be a good idea to make a dmg of the disk as a backup or for restoring onto the media?

~Penguin

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
spartango - what size are you looking at for a usb stick?

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I've got my system at a comfortable 2.2GB, without much stripping. Not sure what we want in that sense tho.
My system is working finally though...

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
Nice! now do you remember how you got there & if so can you post a clear outline/guide so it can be replicated/verified/tested? I'll admit I haven't lifted a finger on this, but a working desktop environment would make it all a lot more interesting.. screenshots even?

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Yeah, I've got everything down I think. Its really just a modbin livedvd in a nice small compressed image boot setup...
I need to actually put this on a DVD though, i've been using Boot-132 on usb up til now. And though my instructions are kinda solid, I think there will be bugs...The modbin DVD method is...tricky--I don't think I deviated from it, but following it was *interesting*. I'm gonna see if i can get an install script going, as I think that might be better than doing all this manually(that was my source of trouble up until now, human fail). Meh, should be good though. I'll post screens and instructions soon...a bit busy with life.

Cris900

Cris900

iDeneb Team Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
;) sreenshots...please!!!

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
spartango: need my help? been busy lately but I can always squeeze this project in. great work though. I will have to find a bigger usb drive if I am gonna use a usb. are you using a dvd or usb drive?

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
my method works on dvd, but its easier to test on usb for now. You need a 3+gb usb drive.

skyhighmac

skyhighmac

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,874 posts
ok. will have to find one. have a million 2gb. What can I help with? I don't really know what to do...

Cris900

Cris900

iDeneb Team Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
spartango: one question: How long boot? If you want, I can do tests on multiple computers .....and I can test it on a 8Gb usb drive
Thx

Cri900

spartango

spartango

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Boot is ridiculously fast from usb...
From a dvd its faster than the normal install dvd or modbins method alone because i use a compressed image. That said its not super fast from a dvd....(sry, no numbers atm).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy