• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

fiat

fiat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
scratch that, used wolfied efi script (worked a treat) and have now updated to 10.5.6 but still having dramas with audio and video

ChipX

ChipX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
you guys with Gigabyte boards are doing a very good job idd..
i hope "asus" owners get all working soon.

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:DUH!!
just out of interest, try booting your system with no usb keys in. then try using it. then try booting the system with one plugged in, then try using it.

notice anything?

My 4GB Cruizer USB drive doesn't mount or even show up in Disk Utility. Hmmm. Not good. Will have to look into that.

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

and tomorrow.. OVERCLOCK timeeee :D hope i can get my i7 920 working at least at 4.1ghz.. psu modded again.. maybe some vmod if vdrop is too big.. cooler is not a problem, water ..eheh .. wish me luck, i will put some nasty voltage on the baby.. and i will try to get my rams to 1800mhz.. gogo baby ;)

Good luck with that, just don't burn your system down ;)

iAtkos 5 - 10.5.5 working with 2 cores :) its allways way better then 1..
kernel Vodoo 9.5.0
flag: cpus=2 busratio=20
HT disabled ( still doesnt work enabled )
i havent selected any network adapter on install, i manually added it after.
LAN: Working ( manually installed )

I'll try this as soon as I get iAtkos5 in :)

Few question about your new setup:
- the Intel AHCI is the updated one, I presume? (with ICH10R as well)
- 2 cores seems promising :) do you still have to shut down the other two cores in the bios, or is the flag sufficient?
- LAN does *not* work oob??? (which kext did you use for that? standard marvell?)
And most importantly: does it still make you wait a long time when booting? (annoying as h*ll...)

Any answers are most welcome :P

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users ;) )

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Good luck with that, just don't burn your system down :P
I'll try this as soon as I get iAtkos5 in ;)

Few question about your new setup:
- the Intel AHCI is the updated one, I presume? (with ICH10R as well)
- 2 cores seems promising ;) do you still have to shut down the other two cores in the bios, or is the flag sufficient?
- LAN does *not* work oob??? (which kext did you use for that? standard marvell?)
And most importantly: does it still make you wait a long time when booting? (annoying as h*ll...)

Any answers are most welcome :)

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users ;) )

i posted a link to some lan drivers for your board a few pages back. i was intending to get the asus so i did a bit of research into it. try em..... you got nothing to lose!

is anybody running some form of virtual machines on their i7? cannot get parallels 4 to run, anybody tried anything else?

ccx4700

ccx4700

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

nice :P i will go for vodoo then ;)

but before that, i will try again iatkos 5.. just for testing.

and tomorrow.. OVERCLOCK timeeee ;) hope i can get my i7 920 working at least at 4.1ghz.. psu modded again.. maybe some vmod if vdrop is too big.. cooler is not a problem, water ..eheh .. wish me luck, i will put some nasty voltage on the baby.. and i will try to get my rams to 1800mhz.. gogo baby :)

SUCESS AGAIN ;) :)

system:

cpu: intel core i7 920
motherboard: asus P6T Deluxe
graphic card: 9800gt 512m

Installation:

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0
intel AHCI
nvinject

thats the only options i made ..

install went perfect.. but for booting into OSX after install i used this flags:
cpus=1
busratio=20

hope this will be usefull to you guys ..

@ChipX
You said "thats the only options i made", I'm curious about AppleACPIPlatform.kext what you are using.
I used older one in iDeneb, so its verison is 1.0.3 (showed in Info.plist)
I can't boot P6T without 1.0.3 kext.
But you seemed NOT to use 1.0.3. What's your kext version?
I'll very surprised if you're using vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

wolfienuke

wolfienuke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

(and indeed, the Gigabyte users are a lot further; on the other hand, I've got the feeling those are the more experienced users :wacko: )

Honestly, I think it comes down to the reasons why people decided on their motherboard. I used to use ASUS a while ago. Then it became very apparent that the best motherboards for OSx86 are Intel or Gigabyte branded. When I went to purchase my system they had all three brands. I probably would have picked the Intel board, but it seemed to be limited (4 RAM slots for a triple channel system?, one networking port, etc...), I then easily chose the Gigabyte board due to the track record that Gigabyte motherboards have with OSx86. That ultimately was the main reason.

I quickly found out that I made the right choice when I got the system up and running almost 100% functional within the first few hours.

I am really surprised that I have not heard anyone here that has purchased the Intel board... I probably would have purchased that if it had been a little better.

AiBear

AiBear

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

i posted a link to some lan drivers for your board a few pages back. i was intending to get the asus so i did a bit of research into it. try em..... you got nothing to lose!

Took a few minutes to find the post, but I've got it! :) thanks!

iAtkos v5i should be finished in about an hour, so I'll try it by then (I hope)

Honestly, I think it comes down to the reasons why people decided on their motherboard. I used to use ASUS a while ago. Then it became very apparent that the best motherboards for OSx86 are Intel or Gigabyte branded. When I went to purchase my system they had all three brands. I probably would have picked the Intel board, but it seemed to be limited (4 RAM slots for a triple channel system?, one networking port, etc...), I then easily chose the Gigabyte board due to the track record that Gigabyte motherboards have with OSx86. That ultimately was the main reason.

I quickly found out that I made the right choice when I got the system up and running almost 100% functional within the first few hours.

I am really surprised that I have not heard anyone here that has purchased the Intel board... I probably would have purchased that if it had been a little better.

Ah, sounds logical... Being new in the OSX86 scene, I wasn't entirely aware of this. I mean, I saw Gigabyte boards mentioned a lot, but didn't exactly realise they're so much better :) Having had very good experiences with Asus boards (on Win systems), I went for this one. Also, the fact this board had better availability in my region at the time (I preordered), it made it worthwhile for me. Guess I'll just have to work a little bit harder.

By the way, question to the people with understanding of this part: Any idea what could be causing the mandatory cut in cores, and whether this could be solved with the retail install?

Brit-In-Asia

Brit-In-Asia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

It sounds like a partition/boot loader issue. A reinstall is probably not needed, but since you are doing it, you should probably just install Leopard retail as per Digital Dreamer's post but use my instructions/scripts for EFI Partition booting. It's actually real simple, and I am running almost the same setup as you (except for the cheaper i7 920 CPU). It's very stable and it update safe (I'm running 10.5.6 unmodified).

It was a Bios issue.
Now got kalyway up and running, ... got the 'blank menus' feature as I'm running 9800GTX+ card.
Will take a look at fixing that, installing the Retail version, and following your and DD's guides tomorrow.

My GeekBench score was smokin' :)

Cheers!

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

My GeekBench score was smokin' :(

care to share?

ccx4700

ccx4700

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!
Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.
You are true, it was Alias problem.
I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

By deleting Alias, I can get all cores working. Not only 4 cores, I can enable HT so it works as 8 cores.
So, here is a METHOD.

1. Run the DSDT Patcher to make dsdt.dsl.
2. Open a dsdt.dsl in Debug folder by nano. like:
$ nano Debug/dsdt.dsl
3. Delete Alias strings.
Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Alias (P001, CPU1)
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P002, CPU2)
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P003, CPU3)
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P004, CPU4)
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P005, CPU5)
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P006, CPU6)
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P007, CPU7)
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P008, CPU8)
Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Alias (P009, CPU9)
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}

to

Scope (_PR)
{
Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}
Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}
}

4. Run DSDT Patcher again on Terminal.
$ ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl
5. Rename and copy dsdt.aml to root.
$ cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml
6. Now you can boot without cpus flag. ENJOY!

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

digital_dreamer

digital_dreamer

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Can you link to that AppleAHCIPort.kext... I am not using those ports now, but I'll include it in the installer.

That's the same kext used in the my lastest Boot-132 installer. It's in the download bundle. I would think you may already have it.

I have not noticed the low volume, but my hack is being used as a server, so not much use for audio...

not a big deal, but wonder what others may conclude.

Hrmm... I have a few USB drives, and have not had a problem. Have you tried all USB ports (Front/Rear)

I've only tried a few of the back ports, don't have anything for the front, yet (with the board headers). It may be a issue with the USB drive. It mounts fine on the other machines (My G4 at home and at work).

I appreciate your work as well... Let's get this board working 100%!

We're practically there!

Also, I made a mistake using both SMBIOSEnabler.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext... You can remove one or the other.

Really? I know the Enabler is the one with the custom strings that you can change (ROM, Manufacturer, Model, Serial). I'll probably take the Apple version out, then.
Do you know if this list of kexts in the default install is the bare minimum for fully running system?

By any chance have you been able to get the CPU type to show without modifying the About this Mac plist? I am also wondering about the missing 3rd RAM card...

I think all of that info is part of the compiled binary in both of the AppleSMBIOS and SMBIOSEnabler kexts (in Mac OS folder). Somebody here has a custom-written AppleSMBIOSEFI version with source code that you can run in XCode, make changes, and recompile. My guess. I'm thinking Apple would include it shortly when they have a similar machine on the same architecture. But, given the number of coming Hackintoshes running on this motherboard, it may be worth the effort to look into it. You can go ahead. :D I've written Z-80 and 6502 assembly code (even memorized all the Z-80 opcodes!) back in the day, but these high level C and C++ languages I've never kept up with.

best regards,
MAJ

ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!
Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.
You are true, it was Alias problem.
I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

<snip>

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

Awesome ccx4700! And thanks, THEHAWKs.
ASUS users rejoice.

Now, is this something each user will have to do on their machine, or can it be a part of a installer file that can be distributed to those who need it?

regards,
MAJ

just out of interest, try booting your system with no usb keys in. then try using it. then try booting the system with one plugged in, then try using it.

notice anything?

Well, I know it doesn't work with no USB keys in during boot. But, haven't tried with it during boot. I'll look into that when I get home. BTW, I just looked at the partition map and find that it's Mac OS Extended on APM. APM isn't a problem now, is it?

regards,
MAJ

ChipX

ChipX

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
@AiBear:
- it is the intel AHCI that comes with the DVD, wich supports ICH10R

- well, enabling all cores in bios, even with flag cpus=2, wont boot..

- for the Lan working i had to change the file:
IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

changed <key>Yukon-88E8053</key> to this <key>Yukon-88E8056</key>

changed <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053</string>
to this <string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056</string>

changed <string>0x436211AB</string>
to this <string>0x436411AB</string>

repaired permissions
sudo chown -R root:wheel IONetworkingFamily.kext

on path /System/Library rebuilded kextcache with:
sudo rm -rf Extensions.mkext Extensions.kextcache

do a reboot and your ready to go :o

@ccx4700
- well, according to my Info.plist of AppleACPIPlatform.kext, it shows version 1.2.1..
hope that this can help you, if you want i can put some screenshots or upload files.
i will try you way to 4 cores :D hope i can manage to put them working :P
vry good job on the 4 cores.

UPDATE
on install of iAtkos5 ONLY 1 core must me enabled in bios.. after install, then you can enable 2 cores.

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

I have been trying to discourage people from wasting money on an Intel DX58SO:
http://forum.insanel...howtopic=137184

As is, the Intel DX58SO only supports 6GB of triple channel RAM, while the Gigabyte boards support 24GB. Gigabyte is clearly the way to go for now, if Intel had supported 4GB DIMMs or added two more RAM slots on board the situation might be different.

I think we need to motivate Intel to get serious, no one should buy a Intel DX58SO until they fix the RAM problems.

Alessandro17

Alessandro17

Chief of Security

• Administrators
  • 8,251 posts
Hi friends

Does anybody know of upcoming dual-socket boards?

Also, it would be great if somebody wrote a tutorial in the Genius Bar about OS X on Core i7 CPUs and related mobos (basically a summary of what you have already written here).

Thanks

luh3417

luh3417

InsanelyMac Geek

• Donators
  • 182 posts

Had a similar problem; my XP doesn't (yet) support AHCI, so I have to switch my BIOS settings when I want to change the boot drive, I just change the interface (XP on 1st, OS X on 2nd; when booting from the second, I just turn off the first in AHCI settings - which it remembers; nice one on this Asus :) )

BTW there is a little rain dance you can do to get AHCI on your XP. Move the boot drive to one of the JMicron SATA ports (AHCI or not, but not is not an option with the current gigabyte BIOS, anyway you're on ASUS) and simultaneously turn on the AHCI on the Intel ports (but no drive attached to those). Then Intel Storage Manager will let you install, then you can move the boot drive back to the Intel. At least thats the deal with XP, not sure if Vista obviates the need for this. I think before you do this the Gigabyte JMicron AHCI is not as picky as the Intel AHCI driver and may install anyway. There are other ways to skin this cat too like a slipstream install of XP, or maybe there is some way to get the damn intel ACHI driver to install even with ACHI turned off.

I am no friend of XP or Vista and IIRC there are some utilities to generate loads on OS X and max out all cores, but until we can monitor temperatures and fan speeds at the same time I'm sticking to XP for OC tests. Heck it even has EasyTune (for Gigabyte). I am ready to believe in 3.6Ghz on air will little or no voltage tweaks, and 4.0Ghz on water with extra voltage. On air though a PWM (4-pin) fan on the CPU that can really move some air when needed may be indicated.

Man those guides are looking ready for the Genius Bar subforum. There are 3 solid methods in the above pages. Cut and paste 'em all and then add some context about the advantages of each.

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

ѕӎѳѳ₮ңӌ

InsanelyMac Leg-End

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Hi friends

Does anybody know of upcoming dual-socket boards?

Also, it would be great if somebody wrote a tutorial in the Genius Bar about OS X on Core i7 CPUs and related mobos (basically a summary of what you have already written here).

Thanks

I think you will be waiting for the xeon versions of the i7 before dual sockets come available.... dont quote me on that... and the cost...... dont want to think about that.

Does this really need a tutorial in the genius bar? with the exception of the work-around for the asus board, its just like installing os x on any other hardware.

Cobra_Phil

Cobra_Phil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Concerning the Xeon versions of the i7, they are already being tested.

Xeon 5570

Anyone working on a step-by-step procedure for the P6T? I have my motherboard and should receive my processor this week. I'm a noob at OSX86 and am very interested in getting this to work...especially know that we have all 8 cores working!!!

jplee4907

jplee4907

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks!!

With you and digital_direamer's guid, and, of course, other geniuses, I was able to install EFI partition with a retail DVD. My system runs real smooth. Except one thing, audio is not on. I see the "Intel High Definition Audio" on System Profiler, but no speaker icon on the top. Any suggestion can be very helpful. Thanks again.

GA-X58-Extreme/i7 920/OCZ 1x3 g/HD3870

wolfienuke

wolfienuke

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Thanks!!

With you and digital_direamer's guid, and, of course, other geniuses, I was able to install EFI partition with a retail DVD. My system runs real smooth. Except one thing, audio is not on. I see the "Intel High Definition Audio" on System Profiler, but no speaker icon on the top. Any suggestion can be very helpful. Thanks again.
GA-X58-Extreme/i7 920/OCZ 1x3 g/HD3870

What kexts are you using? Where did you get them (links)? The GA-X58-Extreme has the same chipset as the GA-X58-UD5, so there should be no issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy