Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Just wanted to post an update for my EFI Partition Boot Installer.

1. Creates/Edits com.apple.boot.plist

2. Creates/Patches DSDT

3. Change info.plist version of kexts

4. More checks to ensure you don't break anything.

5. Simplified user input... Just run the script...

Download

Thanks so much. Thou my system is not functioning due to bios bug, I will work on your guide as soon as I exchange my mobo. Thanks!

Just wanted to post an update for my EFI Partition Boot Installer.

1. Creates/Edits com.apple.boot.plist

2. Creates/Patches DSDT

3. Change info.plist version of kexts

4. More checks to ensure you don't break anything.

5. Simplified user input... Just run the script...

Download

Nice work! Now with splash screen!

I'm not getting the bootloader to run with this script. It sits with "Startup File" So, no Darwin prompt for me. I mounted the EFI partition and double-checked the UUID in the boot.plist and it appears okay.

However, my bootloader files are not visible: :unsure:

bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ls
.DS_Store		Extensions		mach_kernel.voodoo
.Trashes		com.apple.boot.plist
.fseventsd		dsdt.aml

I haven't really looked why that's happening, yet. It's 3 a.m. :P

Interestingly, the first time I ran it, it prompted me for a drive to work with. When that didn't boot into Darwin, I booted into a different drive and tried it on there. But, it didn't prompt me for a drive selection and defaulted to the current running partition. I didn't want to work on that one, but the one I needed to fix. I might need to go to the older installer for the time being. Had to install Kalyway to get a running system.

May we have the script list the boot flags before we decide we want to change something? Additionally, I don't want it erasing existing EFI strings, etc. if I decide I don't want to add anything. Rather than erasing what's already there, give us the option to add/append (maybe even remove) to the existing flags or strings. That is, if its possible. :)

regards,

MAJ

Nice work! Now with splash screen!

I'm not getting the bootloader to run with this script. It sits with "Startup File" So, no Darwin prompt for me. I mounted the EFI partition and double-checked the UUID in the boot.plist and it appears okay.

However, my bootloader files are not visible: ;)

bash-3.2# cd /Volumes/EFI
bash-3.2# ls
.DS_Store		Extensions		mach_kernel.voodoo
.Trashes		com.apple.boot.plist
.fseventsd		dsdt.aml

I haven't really looked why that's happening, yet. It's 3 a.m. :P

Interestingly, the first time I ran it, it prompted me for a drive to work with. When that didn't boot into Darwin, I booted into a different drive and tried it on there. But, it didn't prompt me for a drive selection and defaulted to the current running partition. I didn't want to work on that one, but the one I needed to fix. I might need to go to the older installer for the time being. Had to install Kalyway to get a running system.

May we have the script list the boot flags before we decide we want to change something? Additionally, I don't want it erasing existing EFI strings, etc. if I decide I don't want to add anything. Rather than erasing what's already there, give us the option to add/append (maybe even remove) to the existing flags or strings. That is, if its possible. :)

regards,

MAJ

I'm looking into the cause, and I have changed a few things... I'll probably do another clean install since VMWare Fusion f'ed my system by installing some vmnet.kext that froze at boot.... Beware!

I also too your advice and made the script remember your last choices for kernel flags and efi strings. Also fyi, you don't need to enter the boot-uuid flag. This is now done for you. You really shouldn't need to edit the boot flags unless you want. The default will work. As for the issue with it not asking for a disk the second time, it's because it remembered your choice. Delete the diskid file to get the prompt back (or just type in the disk number).

Edit: Oops! found a typo in the boot.plist creator. That might have caused the issue.

wolfienuke,

Thanks for the warning re: VMware Fusion! I have v2 installed, but with no OS, yet. Planned on installing my copy of XP Pro. However, haven't had a issue with boot or stability with it launched (doing nothing, of course).

As for the issue with it not asking for a disk the second time, it's because it remembered your choice. Delete the diskid file to get the prompt back (or just type in the disk number).

Where is this diskid file located? The thing is: I had selected my main drive (disk0) at first for an update (my boot volume - that's safe, right?). When I booted into my secondary drive (disk1), there was no selection option and the drive it listed was this secondary drive (disk1) - a different drive. (I copied the EFI Boot Installer folder over prior to running it.) Yeah, I have two different EFI boot volumes. I'm not worried about the UUIDs, anymore. Before I had to keep track of them and make sure I had the right one for the right volume. But, with your script and disk selection, that's taken care of. Now, if only I can get the bootloader part working. There are no EFI boot files copied that I can see.

In both cases, I did "update", so I'm wondering if there is something that's overwriting/erasing the bootloaders on the EFI partition? Or, is this just a fluke on my end only?

I admit I was having trouble with my volume selection before, perhaps because the volumes would not always unmount when running the older script. I think there were problems with open files from those volumes. I don't know what the ramifications are when running the older script on volumes that won't unmount. The script did complete in time, however.

Anyone having problems with the system log filling with "sound excursion" errors with the latest HDA kexts for EFI boot? My log fills at the rate of 2-3 lines per second!

fiat,

Are you looking for typical work apps that stress the CPU, or would benchmarks suffice? For benchmarking, CINEBENCH R10 does a great job with all cores.

regards,

MAJ

I wanted to do wolfienukie's script (last version, not today's, will do when I get home) and first I wiped the drive with xp disk. Then put in kalyways 10.5.2 disk and partitioned drive to guid. Then I went into my other hard drive iatkos install & opened the script and put the UUID and correct drive #. Restarted and got the kernel panic. Here is the panic picture.

dakernelpanic.jpeg

I tried multiple times and same thing. I am trying really hard to get this working. I am using the bios setting from earlier in this thread. I dont know whats wrong. Is it my SATA DVD drive that can cause issues. I had my retail disk in the drive ready to get booted up.

Maybe its DSDT problems?

Anyone having problems with the system log filling with "sound excursion" errors with the latest HDA kexts for EFI boot? My log fills at the rate of 2-3 lines per second!

It's known issue, and there is no solution at the time. I have been using my scripts to switch out audio kexts to text other solutions.

Help! GA-EX58-EXTREME MOBO....AHCI Problem!

Please, need help here.

My hackintosh system was OK and runnning fine with 4 HDDs. Two for NTFS, Two for HFS+.

After I flashed with a new one, F4m from TweakForum, booting stops at "Varyfying DMI pool...Updated."

I reflashed w/ origianl F3 bios, the same thing.

I only abel to boot with the default setting.

My bios setting was as follows;

SATA RAID/AHCI mode

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (enable),

USB Keyboard & Mouse (enable),

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (enable),

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl (enable)

Then, still, "varyfying DMI pool...." it doesn't go forward.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall Vista first but a wierd thing I saw was...

1st HDD1 (vista) with SATA0 connetor

2nd HDD2 (Mac) with SATA1

3rd HDD3 (Mac) with SATA 2

4th HDD4 (Win) with SATA3

But when I saw the vista install window, my no. 1 HDD (vista) appears to be connected HDD port 2 .

It reads like this. HDD 0 port is 2nd HDD (mac) / HDD1 port HDD4 (win) / HDD2 port HDD1(vista)/ HDD 3 port HDD3 (mac)

I think my mobo's SATA port connectors are showing strange things.

Any suggestion!

I wanted to do wolfienukie's script (last version, not today's, will do when I get home) and first I wiped the drive with xp disk. Then put in kalyways 10.5.2 disk and partitioned drive to guid. Then I went into my other hard drive iatkos install & opened the script and put the UUID and correct drive #. Restarted and got the kernel panic. Here is the panic picture.

dakernelpanic.jpeg

I tried multiple times and same thing. I am trying really hard to get this working. I am using the bios setting from earlier in this thread. I dont know whats wrong. Is it my SATA DVD drive that can cause issues. I had my retail disk in the drive ready to get booted up.

Maybe its DSDT problems?

Have you defined the bus ratio in the boot.plist for the Voodoo kernel? It looks like it's calculating the ratio correctly, but it's not finding the expected ACPI kext. You may need to update your ACPI kext. Make sure it has a later version than anything in the vanilla install (bump up version to 9.9.9 and make sure it's set as root in the strings.

Best of wishes,

MAJ

Help! GA-EX58-EXTREME MOBO....AHCI Problem!

Please, need help here.

My hackintosh system was OK and runnning fine with 4 HDDs. Two for NTFS, Two for HFS+.

After I flashed with a new one, F4m from TweakForum, booting stops at "Varyfying DMI pool...Updated."

I reflashed w/ origianl F3 bios, the same thing.

I only abel to boot with the default setting.

My bios setting was as follows;

SATA RAID/AHCI mode

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (enable),

USB Keyboard & Mouse (enable),

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (enable),

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl (enable)

Then, still, "varyfying DMI pool...." it doesn't go forward.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall Vista first but a wierd thing I saw was...

1st HDD1 (vista) with SATA0 connetor

2nd HDD2 (Mac) with SATA1

3rd HDD3 (Mac) with SATA 2

4th HDD4 (Win) with SATA3

But when I saw the vista install window, my no. 1 HDD (vista) appears to be connected HDD port 2 .

It reads like this. HDD 0 port is 2nd HDD (mac) / HDD1 port HDD4 (win) / HDD2 port HDD1(vista)/ HDD 3 port HDD3 (mac)

I think my mobo's SATA port connectors are showing strange things.

Any suggestion!

You flashed an unofficially supported BIOS? What was the BIOS flash supposed to fix? Can you load a saved CMOS setting, or is that erased after the flash? You say you can boot, but with "default" settings. What is that or what is wrong with that? Do you have to disable some things? Afraid I can't help with the odd BIOS responses. Don't have that issue here.

Have you tried reinstalling a bootloader?

regards,

MAJ

Have you defined the bus ratio in the boot.plist for the Voodoo kernel? It looks like it's calculating the ratio correctly, but it's not finding the expected ACPI kext. You may need to update your ACPI kext. Make sure it has a later version than anything in the vanilla install (bump up version to 9.9.9 and make sure it's set as root in the strings.

Best of wishes,

MAJ

I have left alone the default bus ratio that is in wolfienuke's script in the efi boot package. I have not edited the bus ratio to change it for overclocking. Also I have not changed the ACPI kext from the default kext that is in the wolfienuke efi boot package. If that is the case then why is the ACPI kext not being loaded. Also I tried to Install osx from my iatkos install but I am getting Kernel Panic after "installing essensials". Should I install the other mpkg's first and then install essensials.mpkg last?

You flashed an unofficially supported BIOS? What was the BIOS flash supposed to fix? Can you load a saved CMOS setting, or is that erased after the flash? You say you can boot, but with "default" settings. What is that or what is wrong with that? Do you have to disable some things? Afraid I can't help with the odd BIOS responses. Don't have that issue here.

Have you tried reinstalling a bootloader?

regards,

MAJ

Hi DD...

I just tried F4j bios which is beta version. I didn't have any idea why I did when everything was OK. Since this MOBO is a new, they've been releasing new bios with some fixes. If you check TweakTown.com, there is a support forum for GIGABYTE, many people who use EX58 series complained about AHCI and MEM problems, I thought it could be OK to flash the newest one though it was beta.

When flashed the saved bios was gone which I set out for OSX/Vista dual booting.

Yes, I can boot with only default setting meaning no AHCI applied. I can overclock w/ no problem. But whenever I change settings AHCI enable for OSX, the MOBO hangs at "Varyfying DMI pool..." which means it won't even get to OSX bootloader. Not only to that, at this stage, if I try to go back into bios setup by hitting DEL key, it doesn't respond at all. So, it kept hanging at the same spot. So, I cleared CMOS and barely get thru to bios setup, I have to reflash to get the default state, otherwise, e entough I disable AHCI, MOBO still hangs at "Varyfying DMI pool..." So, reflash it, then I can get to Vista. That's what is happening right now.

And above described about HDDs status is just from when I tried reinstall Vista, it showed the HDDs numbers like from the Disk Utility.

I'm just back from outside. I'll be working on one more time. This time, I will try to change SATA connectors in different ways.

Thanks anyway...

If you try again, open terminal and type kextstat before updating save the info to a file. Do the same after updating and note the version changes. That may help you find out what may have caused the issue. You can then replace some of the kexts from 10.5.5 to replace the new ones that may have caused the problem.

I always copy the entire extensions folder before updating. Open terminal any type "sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/" That way any problem kexts can always be replaced by an older/working version.

Wolfienuke

ty for the tips, i rly apreciate, im kinda away from my i7 system, ( laptop now :( ) when i get back i will surely try that hints you gave me.

ty again

best regards

ChipX

I used wolfienuke's new script and it immediately reboots once I get past the darwin it just reboots. I am perplexed as to why this script is different. Also I looked in the new com.apple.boot.plist file and I saw some strange stuff that was different then the last wolfienuke script. There was an area that said busratio=20 in the old script but now it says busration=20. Is the n added to busratio a spelling error or was that an indicator of some sort. Please help me, I am trying really hard to get this working.

I used wolfienuke's new script and it immediately reboots once I get past the darwin it just reboots. I am perplexed as to why this script is different. Also I looked in the new com.apple.boot.plist file and I saw some strange stuff that was different then the last wolfienuke script. There was an area that said busratio=20 in the old script but now it says busration=20. Is the n added to busratio a spelling error or was that an indicator of some sort. Please help me, I am trying really hard to get this working.

Yes, I need to do some more work on the new script... I'll have a new one up tonight to tomorrow morning. The busration was a typo and now is fixed on my script. I am also changing the way it copies files and I will add a few lines to verify the files were copied successfully.

I will be re-installing myself from scratch and using the script to ensure that these issues are resolved.

I sincerely apologize about the problems my new script version has caused. I ensure you I will have it fixed. I am also adding a fix to change the "Unknown" CPU type to "i7 Core" (even though it's just aesthetic).

what are people using for ethernet? i was using dds kext installed on my actual osx partition, then i decided i wanted it to work from the efi partition but now i cant geth either to work.. really pissing me off

Like I have on posted my earlier post, I have the RealtekR1000 open source driver, but I had to place it in the IONetworkingFamily.kext, and increase the version so it gets loaded from EFI. It works fine for me, but I am using DHCP w/manual ip address. DHCP works if the cable is plugged in during startup. I don't lose my connection after waking from sleep either.

Yes, I need to do some more work on the new script... I'll have a new one up tonight to tomorrow morning. The busration was a typo and now is fixed on my script. I am also changing the way it copies files and I will add a few lines to verify the files were copied successfully.

I will be re-installing myself from scratch and using the script to ensure that these issues are resolved.

I sincerely apologize about the problems my new script version has caused. I ensure you I will have it fixed. I am also adding a fix to change the "Unknown" CPU type to "i7 Core" (even though it's just aesthetic).

The fact that you put effort into this alone makes me proud that you are a member of this forum. Being that this lga 1366 platform will be around for about 2 years at the least, there will be many more that will be thankful.

Does anybody know of upcoming dual-socket boards?

I think we know that this is going to be where AMD really gets kicked next.

Check out the SAP performance reported:

http://anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=532

I might be more interested in these dual-socket Nehalem boards, but it is really going to be hard to justify a need in face what you can do you with an overclocked x58 Gigabyte board (24 GB!). I hope Intel gets its motherboard act together and fields something as good as the dual-socket SkullTrail here too.

how strange..... i now cannot get any ethernet solution to load... would you mind uploading that exact kext?

Like I have on posted my earlier post, I have the RealtekR1000 open source driver, but I had to place it in the IONetworkingFamily.kext, and increase the version so it gets loaded from EFI. It works fine for me, but I am using DHCP w/manual ip address. DHCP works if the cable is plugged in during startup. I don't lose my connection after waking from sleep either.

how strange..... i now cannot get any ethernet solution to load... would you mind uploading that exact kext?

It's in my previous post... link

Also, my script is just about complete... Anyone that has an issue with it will be able to send me the install.log, and I can look to see what went wrong...

I am finishing a clean install and will upload when done.

Also, my script is just about complete... Anyone that has an issue with it will be able to send me the install.log, and I can look to see what went wrong...

I am finishing a clean install and will upload when done.

Hi wolfienuke,

Am looking forward to helping you test it out! :D

I haven't managed to get a working retail copy going yet, .... only kalyway.

Cheers!