Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Big (and I'm afraid maybe stupid) question about this: would this work on any install (iDeneb, iAtkos), or do you need to have a retail install and EFI boot for this? As I'm still not entirely aware of the DSDT phenomenon, especially not how it can affect the work of the cores of a CPU...? (it's mostly power states of the system and cpu, as far as I could find until now.. does that mean the other cores don't get powered because of the alias thing..? I'm so confused ;) )

@ChipX, ccx4700

I had to leave home just after getting iAtkos in; had time to look into the huge amount of options and descriptions on it.. wow :idea: Let's just say I'd like to print that out and read it sometime, might give me a bit more insight on how it all works. I'll try one or two installs tomorrow, any tips and suggestions (except ChipX's experience, which will be taken along :) ) or even testing requests? I'll be happy to oblige :)

@AiBear:

I used retail Install method. I described how I did it at an older post.

To run all cores, we must use bootloder that can loding DSDT.aml, so I installed pcefi_v9 manually.

iAtkos5 RUNNING WITH ALL CORES ENABLED! :)

bios settings: all cores enabled and HT enabled

used DSDT patcher, method discribed above.

btw, it boots alot faster, it doesnt break anymore.

the strange thing is that System Profiler says this:

Number of Processors: 0 ( where the hell did he went to?! ;) lol )

Total Number Of Cores: 5 ( where are those 3 nasty cores missing.. ehehe )

on geekbench:

Physical Processors: 0 ( he likes to play hiding :P )

Logical Processors: 8 ( jackpot)

AiBear ccx4700, i think we need to solve this kinda bug..eheheh , or at least try to :P

AiBear, good luck with the tweaking ;) hope you can bring us some good news ;)

Congratulations!

Your "Total Number Of Cores" string is really interesting, mine is showing 4. (even HT on)

Maybe System Profiler says number of physical cores, not logical cores by HT tech.

And I think Mac OS X finds Physical Processors by looking FSB, but i7 doesn't have FSB(yeah, renewed by QPI), so it shows 0. There is no evidence, just my idea.

There is DSDT.aml that I'm using. For P6T deluxe.

I'm not sure it works well for you, because of bios version, bios setteings.

DSDT.zip

There is a way you can reset your authorizations (allowed once a year). I've done this a few times since I go through new computers quite often and forget to de-authorize them.

I would google it...

problem is that i have already used that feature a couple of months ago...... but im stuck on why its doing this on my machine. nobody else is noticing spotlight when they first log in or any itunes issues?

on a good note, i got sleep working and gfx efi string.... but that in turn broke my efi fix for time machine. nevermind... the weekend is coming so ill finally get to spend some time with this system trying to iron out the little niggles!

Hi,

I got Kalyway working, and fixed the "white menus" bug, by updating the Nvidia kexts etc.

Now, if I'm going to follow the retail install guide, .... then follow wolfienuke's EFI script, at which point should I stop in the Retail guide..?

After Step 5...?

Step 5 – Installing Chameleon

go into V4.2 folder on your desktop

go into extras folder

run Chameleon

install it on your new Macintosh drive

REBOOT into your new install

Here's the URL to refresh yr memory: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I got Kalyway working, and fixed the "white menus" bug, by updating the Nvidia kexts etc.

Now, if I'm going to follow the retail install guide, .... then follow wolfienuke's EFI script, at which point should I stop in the Retail guide..?

After Step 5...?

Here's the URL to refresh yr memory: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

Thanks in advance!

no do NOT install chameleon!! it can seriously mess up the efi boot loader. if you have had chameleon installed on your disk you should repartition the drive to get rid of all traces of it! this caused me a massive headache on my old hackintosh.

no do NOT install chameleon!! it can seriously mess up the efi boot loader. if you have had chameleon installed on your disk you should repartition the drive to get rid of all traces of it! this caused me a massive headache on my old hackintosh.

Hi,

Hmmm... actually I didn't do "Step 5", ... but I didn't do "Step 4" either:

go back to Terminal

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: sudo -s

enter your password

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/Macintosh

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal (change yourusernamehere to your username): cd /users/yourusernamehere/desktop/v4.2

TYPE or cut n past into Terminal: ./post-patch.sh

after it finishes TYPE: exit

then TYPE: exit

I'm guessing in hindsight that I probably should have done that.

After running wolfienuke's EFI script, and rebooting, ... I can't get my Leopard version to boot up, or the Kalyway install.

Keeps complaining about:

"Failed to load extension com.apple.iokit.IOAhciBlockStorage"

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleHDAController"

[Off Topic]

Incidentally, .... when I have SATA RAID/AHCI set to AHCI Windows Vista is unable to boot. If I switch it to DISABLED then it boots up fine.

For those that have Leopard running properly on EX58-UD5, are you able to boot up OS X and Vista without fiddling around in the Bios..?

Cheers!

the way i installed retail was using a boot 123 cd.

download galaxys boot123 creator, i used the gui version.

add your kexts and the voodoo kernel to the boot123 cd using the creator.

in your current hackintosh put your retail dvd into the drive, fire up disk utility, right click on the volume and select information. in that window there is universal unique identifier. write down that number, including dashes, on a piece of paper.

boot your 123 cd you made earlier, press f8, then escape, swap dvds to your retail, note on the screen it will say something about 80 first hard drive 81 second etc but there should be a number in square brackets [fe] for example was mine, retype that into the prompt and immediately press f8 until you get the boot prompt.

type rd(0,0)/mach_kernel -v boot-uuid=(number you wrote down earlier) busratio=20 Note if 0,0 does not work try 0,1 also mach_kernel should be what you called the voodoo kernel when you added it into the boot123 cd

you may get a message about cpu multiplier not detected, just type y

this should boot up the install

format your disk as guid!!!!! and install.

boot using the boot 123 cd but boot your hd instead of disk swapping.

now you are ready to use the efi script!

I used retail Install method. I described how I did it at an older post.

To run all cores, we must use bootloder that can loding DSDT.aml, so I installed pcefi_v9 manually.

well, today im going to try retail method ( i just hope i downloaded the right file :) ).

btw, after a restart that 5 cores changed to 7 cores.. strange.

hope i can use the retail without any problems, if i can use it good i will buy it for shure.

ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!

Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.

You are true, it was Alias problem.

I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

By deleting Alias, I can get all cores working. Not only 4 cores, I can enable HT so it works as 8 cores.

So, here is a METHOD.

1. Run the DSDT Patcher to make dsdt.dsl.

2. Open a dsdt.dsl in Debug folder by nano. like:

$ nano Debug/dsdt.dsl

3. Delete Alias strings.

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Alias (P001, CPU1)

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P002, CPU2)

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P003, CPU3)

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P004, CPU4)

Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P005, CPU5)

Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P006, CPU6)

Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P007, CPU7)

Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P008, CPU8)

Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Alias (P009, CPU9)

Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

to

Scope (_PR)

{

Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06) {}

Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P005, 0x05, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P006, 0x06, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P007, 0x07, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P008, 0x08, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P009, 0x09, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P010, 0x0A, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P011, 0x0B, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P012, 0x0C, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P013, 0x0D, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P014, 0x0E, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P015, 0x0F, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

Processor (P016, 0x10, 0x00000000, 0x00) {}

}

4. Run DSDT Patcher again on Terminal.

$ ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

5. Rename and copy dsdt.aml to root.

$ cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

6. Now you can boot without cpus flag. ENJOY!

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

For some reason the DSDT patcher does not work on intel X58 Motherboards so i had to do it manually lol i thought you would never try it.

I had a KP after using the EFI partition boot script on another drive of mine.

Can someone tell me a solution?

I think the reason is that Chameleon was not uninstalled on this when I reformatted the hard drive. Chameleon caused the KP right?

Just had my first lockup on Voodoo 9.5.0 (iDeneb install)... No idea why actually :wacko:

Was just surfing this thread, when Safari started locking, then followed by the Finder...

Mouse kept working, but couldn't do anything anymore...

kernel Vodoo 9.5.0

intel AHCI

nvinject

install went perfect.. but for booting into OSX after install i used this flags:

cpus=1

busratio=20

hope this will be usefull to you guys ..

Question about this: just did the same install, with exception of the nvinject (as I have an unsupported ATI); but my system keeps panicking :|

Did you use any special flags? And which 'standard' kexts did you leave on in the installer? (or did you turn them all off?)

I'll try with the nvinject, just to be sure...

(also reading into the whole EFI / Chameleon / DSDT, so as not to bore you too much with questions :D )

I had a KP after using the EFI partition boot script on another drive of mine.

Can someone tell me a solution?

I think the reason is that Chameleon was not uninstalled on this when I reformatted the hard drive. Chameleon caused the KP right?

need a little more information....

chameleon doesnt really tend to cause a kp, just stop the system from loading.

Question about this: just did the same install, with exception of the nvinject (as I have an unsupported ATI); but my system keeps panicking :o

Did you use any special flags? And which 'standard' kexts did you leave on in the installer? (or did you turn them all off?)

I'll try with the nvinject, just to be sure...

well, i leaved them as they were.. didnt even touch them (so i cant remember exactly how are they selected as default) :P just go to customization and make sure you have, pc_efi v9, intel AHCI sata, and vodoo 9.5.0. , dont touch the others..leave them as they are.. i will try retail dvd in a few minutes :)

well, i leaved them as they were.. didnt even touch them (so i cant remember exactly how are they selected as default) :) just go to customization and make sure you have, pc_efi v9, intel AHCI sata, and vodoo 9.5.0. , dont touch the others..leave them as they are.. i will try retail dvd in a few minutes :)

Tried a second time, this time with the ToH 9.2.0 kernel (the Voodoo 9.5.0 on iAtkos is a beta, not the recently released one); but I still get the same problem: after it loads the kernel, it hangs/freezes/stops...

The partition I'm testing on is *not* the first partition on the drive (that one is used for my stable boot) - and I'm not counting the EFI partition. Is there perhaps a line of code to be changed for the EFI boot?

Good luck with the Retail version :) If you make it, like ccx4700 did, then there's no way I'm not going to as well :D

jplee4907,

Keep in mind, that for audio, you must have the HDAEnabler.kext (you haven't mentioned it), in addition to the others. For the Boot-132 method, it was the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler. For the EFI Boot method, its the appears to be the LagacyHDAController.kext, LagacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext.

If having those on the EFI partition is not working, try the putting the HDA kexts from the Boot-132 folder into the regular S/L/E directory and reboot. You can use Kext Helper b7 to get them installed with the correct permissions.

Are you saying you tried using the files from the Boot-132 method on the EFI Boot setup? If so, that won't work (as you have noted), as the EFI boot requires additional kexts and disablers for full functionality.

Keep in touch.

MAJ

Hi agian!

DD, I just found out that the audio problem that I'm having is something to do with 10.5.6 update. When I reinstalled the retail with your guide to 10.5.5, the audio worked fine. After I updated to 10.5.6 comb, it's gone.

Now, the icon on the menu bar shows whereas it didn't show when I installed with EFI partition thou system profile showed Intel HD audio enabled!

Hopefully, you can show me some other way.

Thanks much!!

well.. iAtkos5 with update 10.5.6 cant mount dmg's.. im burning some dual layers :hysterical: omw to retail version.. i have one day to put this working..after that, christmas vacations with family , i will be here.. but with the laptop, not my lovely i7 :S

Tried a second time, this time with the ToH 9.2.0 kernel (the Voodoo 9.5.0 on iAtkos is a beta, not the recently released one); but I still get the same problem: after it loads the kernel, it hangs/freezes/stops...

The partition I'm testing on is *not* the first partition on the drive (that one is used for my stable boot) - and I'm not counting the EFI partition. Is there perhaps a line of code to be changed for the EFI boot?

Seems like there *is* something about the first partition... Just installed exactly the same setup, this time on the first partition, and now it works.. Not that I mind, though :) I guess I'll have to edit that if I want to boot from another disk with this install.

(now to install the ps/2 keyboard kext.. :D )

editI can't get the ps/2 to work :( even importing the kext from the working iDeneb install.. Sorry to ask again, but - any ideas?

@ChipX: it still has that long stop while booting, did it go away after the DSDT edit, or was it immediate after install?

Hope to get it working in half an hour ^_^

And then start testing ;)

By the way, did anyone stress-test the memory yet? (I read a lot about >3Gig problems...) Or is this already taken care of? If not, what would you advise to do that?

hmm.. the long boot time disapeared after i used DSDT patch and enable all the cores.

ps2..hmm..only usb around here :) so i havent got the chance to test ps2 ports.. im kinda stuck in the middle of dvd burning trys.. :S

I'd burn it for you if I could; or even lend you my original retail (which is at my parents' right now, d*mmit)

Anyway, back to the serious: what's the problem with burning?

Personally, I can't even get to the patching, 'cause I can't get passed the personal setup :) need my keyboard for that...

I'll just be trying to install the pc-EFI or Chameleon and use the DSDT patch on my iDeneb install.. Or did you try that already?

i guess i have to buy a retail version.. the version i had here, was anything but a mac retail version :((

i havent tryed patching iDeneb.. :S didnt have time for that.. waste all my day to figure it out that the f**** .dmg file i had here was nothing but another distro like iatkos or kally.. 7.0 gigs turned out to be just 2.4 gigs.. damn file -.- wasted 4 dvd Dual layer..pff

:angel:

i will definitly buy a retail version once i get a chance..

Does this really need a tutorial in the genius bar? with the exception of the work-around for the asus board, its just like installing os x on any other hardware.

IMO, the advantage of a tutorial in the Genius Bar is that they are easy to find, while threads like this one are not.

IMO, the advantage of a tutorial in the Genius Bar is that they are easy to find, while threads like this one are not.

agreed, search feature on here is busted lol...i track most of my info on here through google site:insanelymac