Upcoming Intel X58 Mobos & Core i7 CPUs

1,154 posts in this topic

Had a similar problem; my XP doesn't (yet) support AHCI, so I have to switch my BIOS settings when I want to change the boot drive, I just change the interface (XP on 1st, OS X on 2nd; when booting from the second, I just turn off the first in AHCI settings - which it remembers; nice one on this Asus :) )

BTW there is a little rain dance you can do to get AHCI on your XP. Move the boot drive to one of the JMicron SATA ports (AHCI or not, but not is not an option with the current gigabyte BIOS, anyway you're on ASUS) and simultaneously turn on the AHCI on the Intel ports (but no drive attached to those). Then Intel Storage Manager will let you install, then you can move the boot drive back to the Intel. At least thats the deal with XP, not sure if Vista obviates the need for this. I think before you do this the Gigabyte JMicron AHCI is not as picky as the Intel AHCI driver and may install anyway. There are other ways to skin this cat too like a slipstream install of XP, or maybe there is some way to get the damn intel ACHI driver to install even with ACHI turned off.

I am no friend of XP or Vista and IIRC there are some utilities to generate loads on OS X and max out all cores, but until we can monitor temperatures and fan speeds at the same time I'm sticking to XP for OC tests. Heck it even has EasyTune (for Gigabyte). I am ready to believe in 3.6Ghz on air will little or no voltage tweaks, and 4.0Ghz on water with extra voltage. On air though a PWM (4-pin) fan on the CPU that can really move some air when needed may be indicated.

Man those guides are looking ready for the Genius Bar subforum. There are 3 solid methods in the above pages. Cut and paste 'em all and then add some context about the advantages of each.

Hi friends

Does anybody know of upcoming dual-socket boards?

Also, it would be great if somebody wrote a tutorial in the Genius Bar about OS X on Core i7 CPUs and related mobos (basically a summary of what you have already written here).

Thanks

I think you will be waiting for the xeon versions of the i7 before dual sockets come available.... dont quote me on that... and the cost...... dont want to think about that.

Does this really need a tutorial in the genius bar? with the exception of the work-around for the asus board, its just like installing os x on any other hardware.

Concerning the Xeon versions of the i7, they are already being tested.

Xeon 5570

Anyone working on a step-by-step procedure for the P6T? I have my motherboard and should receive my processor this week. I'm a noob at OSX86 and am very interested in getting this to work...especially know that we have all 8 cores working!!!

Thanks!!

With you and digital_direamer's guid, and, of course, other geniuses, I was able to install EFI partition with a retail DVD. My system runs real smooth. Except one thing, audio is not on. I see the "Intel High Definition Audio" on System Profiler, but no speaker icon on the top. Any suggestion can be very helpful. Thanks again.

GA-X58-Extreme/i7 920/OCZ 1x3 g/HD3870

Thanks!!

With you and digital_direamer's guid, and, of course, other geniuses, I was able to install EFI partition with a retail DVD. My system runs real smooth. Except one thing, audio is not on. I see the "Intel High Definition Audio" on System Profiler, but no speaker icon on the top. Any suggestion can be very helpful. Thanks again.

What kexts are you using? Where did you get them (links)? The GA-X58-Extreme has the same chipset as the GA-X58-UD5, so there should be no issue.

Anyone working on a step-by-step procedure for the P6T? I have my motherboard and should receive my processor this week. I'm a noob at OSX86 and am very interested in getting this to work...especially know that we have all 8 cores working!!!

Well, we are still figuring out the best way to "full-use" the board :blink:

THEHAWKs and ccx4700 had managed to get the 4 cores (8 threads) working.. you should check all our posts, so you can see how we installed mac.. im still trying to get 4 cores on iAtkos5.

best reguards

ChipX

Thanks!!

Make sure the output setting is set for "Internal Speaker" in your System Preferences.

regards,

MAJ

I'm getting ready to purchase hardware, quick question; Does anyone know what the differences are between the GA-EX58-UD5 and the GA-EX58-EXTREME are? I notice better heatpipe cooling, and maybe more/better options for overclocking?, but i'm not really sure.

It's a $30 difference in price on newegg;

GA-EX58-UD5 and GA-EX58-EXTREME

Also; is it safe to assume that everything that works on the GA-EX58-UD5 will work on the GA-EX58-EXTREME?

Thanks!

hmmm.... anybody else getting issues with spotlight (always indexing when i first log in) and itunes (always asking me to authorize the machine)? i believe its something to do with smbiosenabler, as i do not have a serial number... pissed me off as now i have no more machine authorizations left. gonna be an interesting call to itunes support.

Hey guys,

I've got my EX58-UD4 system up and running, but I'm having serious problems with drives attached to the JMicron SATA controller. I have two drives attached, in a software RAID 1, and I'm getting random kernel panics when accessing that volume. . . . It'll be fine for a while, then it just won't.

KP says:

com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIBlockStorage (1.1.0)@0x80908000->0x88917fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(1.5.2)

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAHCIFamily (1.0.4)

Before I installed the drives on the JMicron controller, everything seemed to be working fine, although I was using the vanilla AppleAHCIport.kext, IOAHCIFamily.kext, and JMicronATA.kext. I didn't want to use digital_dreamer's modified IOAHCIFamily because I use some eSATA drives, and when using the modified AppleAHCIPort without the modified IOAHCIFamily or modified JMicronATA, I would get a KP on boot. Once I updated to all three modified kexts, everything seemed to be fine, then these KPs started showing up when I began using the new drives.

I can't just go back to using the three vanilla kexts because in that state the drives on the JMicron SATA connectors are not recognized by OS X. And, incidentally, once I started using the modified IOAHCIFamily kext, although the icons for eSATA drives indicate they're internal, i can still eject them just fine.

So anyone have any thoughts as to what my problem might be?

hmmm.... anybody else getting issues with spotlight (always indexing when i first log in) and itunes (always asking me to authorize the machine)? i believe its something to do with smbiosenabler, as i do not have a serial number... pissed me off as now i have no more machine authorizations left. gonna be an interesting call to itunes support.

Can't really imagine it could be that; my iBook G4 has no serial number either - when they replaced the mainboard due to the firewire port being borked, the new mobo was not given a serial, or however that works - and everything's always worked fine since. Of course, it's a PPC, but I'd presume that shouldn't make any difference in that sense.

ALL CORES WORKING ON P6T DELUXE!!

Hey guys, I did it!

First, I must apologize to THEHAWKs for my jumping conclusion.

You are true, it was Alias problem.

I believed that DSDT patcher deletes Alias strings automatically, but it doesn't.

By deleting Alias, I can get all cores working. Not only 4 cores, I can enable HT so it works as 8 cores.

So, here is a METHOD.

1. Run the DSDT Patcher to make dsdt.dsl.

2. Open a dsdt.dsl in Debug folder by nano. like:

$ nano Debug/dsdt.dsl

3. Delete Alias strings.

4. Run DSDT Patcher again on Terminal.

$ ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

5. Rename and copy dsdt.aml to root.

$ cp dsdt.aml /DSDT.aml

6. Now you can boot without cpus flag. ENJOY!

Finally, I really want to say thank you to THEHAWKs, without your reply, I might not get this result.

Big (and I'm afraid maybe stupid) question about this: would this work on any install (iDeneb, iAtkos), or do you need to have a retail install and EFI boot for this? As I'm still not entirely aware of the DSDT phenomenon, especially not how it can affect the work of the cores of a CPU...? (it's mostly power states of the system and cpu, as far as I could find until now.. does that mean the other cores don't get powered because of the alias thing..? I'm so confused :) )

@ChipX, ccx4700

I had to leave home just after getting iAtkos in; had time to look into the huge amount of options and descriptions on it.. wow :( Let's just say I'd like to print that out and read it sometime, might give me a bit more insight on how it all works. I'll try one or two installs tomorrow, any tips and suggestions (except ChipX's experience, which will be taken along :) ) or even testing requests? I'll be happy to oblige ^_^

i7 System OS: Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard from iDeneb 1.3 (testing: 10.5.6, iAtkos v5i) | Kernel: Voodoo 9.5.0 | MoBo: ASUS P6T Deluxe | CPU: Intel Core i7 920 | RAM: 3 x 2GB OCZ Platinum Low Voltage @ 1333MHz | Graphics: ASUS ATI HD 4870 DK 1Gb on Iiyama ProLite E2607WS-1 | HDD: 2xWD Caviar Black 1Tb | Optical: ASUS DRW-20B1ST | PSU: EnerMax Modu82+ 525W | Case: NZXT Apollo, Blue | Working OOB w/Kernel: LAN, S-ATA, FW, USB | Working w/Patch: S-ATA chipset naming, Audio out (stereo) | Not working: Multiple Cores, HT, Graphics

Big (and I'm afraid maybe stupid) question about this: would this work on any install (iDeneb, iAtkos), or do you need to have a retail install and EFI boot for this?

iAtkos5 RUNNING WITH ALL CORES ENABLED! :thumbsup_anim:

bios settings: all cores enabled and HT enabled

used DSDT patcher, method discribed above.

btw, it boots alot faster, it doesnt break anymore.

the strange thing is that System Profiler says this:

Number of Processors: 0 ( where the hell did he went to?! :) lol )

Total Number Of Cores: 5 ( where are those 3 nasty cores missing.. ehehe )

on geekbench:

Physical Processors: 0 ( he likes to play hiding :P )

Logical Processors: 8 ( jackpot)

AiBear ccx4700, i think we need to solve this kinda bug..eheheh , or at least try to :P

AiBear, good luck with the tweaking :lol: hope you can bring us some good news ;)

Make sure the output setting is set for "Internal Speaker" in your System Preferences.

regards,

MAJ

Hi Wolfienuke and Digital_Dreamer!

I'm looking at the sound menu of system preference, and I'm under Output. Under "Choose a Device for sound output," there is no sub menu appearing. Also, I can't move the volume bar below.

After I followed the wolfienuke's guide, and when audio didn't work, I tried to replace the audio related kext files with digital_dreamer's appleHDA.kext from his GA-EX58-UD5_kext folder. But still the same problem.

Also, one more thing, after deep sleep, yes, the network is not working. Did you guys solve this problem yet?

Thanks

iAtkos5 RUNNING WITH ALL CORES ENABLED! ;)

bios settings: all cores enabled and HT enabled

used DSDT patcher, method discribed above.

btw, it boots alot faster, it doesnt break anymore.

the strange thing is that System Profiler says this:

Number of Processors: 0 ( where the hell did he went to?! :( lol )

Total Number Of Cores: 5 ( where are those 3 nasty cores missing.. ehehe )

on geekbench:

Physical Processors: 0 ( he likes to play hiding :P )

Logical Processors: 8 ( jackpot)

AiBear ccx4700, i think we need to solve this kinda bug..eheheh , or at least try to :P

AiBear, good luck with the tweaking ;) hope you can bring us some good news ;)

Hi

Could you give your custom settings? I installed IATKOS 5i with Chameleon + 9.2.0 TOH, and was able to install but '0' processor and '4' cores I checked. But on Active Monitoring, 8 cores were working. I didn't like the speed of the system. Now, i'm with EFI partition install it's much better.

Could you give your custom settings? I installed IATKOS 5i with Chameleon + 9.2.0 TOH, and was able to install but '0' processor and '4' cores I checked. But on Active Monitoring, 8 cores were working. I didn't like the speed of the system. Now, i'm with EFI partition install it's much better.

Hi there,

I installed iAtkos with 9.5.0 Vodoo Kernel, geekbench says that i have 8 logical processors, so i guess it is ok..I installed the system only with some options enabled, the rest i leaved as they were default: kernel 9.5.0 Vodoo, PC_EFI V9, intel AHCI sata.

after all this i just used DSDT patch, and installed Lan manually.

hope this info can be usefull for you. :(

@wjp

could this be the famous jmicron kp a lot of people had (including me) long time ago... there should be a fix with limitating ram -- not really a good option to go buy the sticks and not use them, another fix is to use patched jmicron kext, better solution.

Best solution is not to use the controller at all, there are how many sata connectors on your board?

happy hacking

Hi there,

I installed iAtkos with 9.5.0 Vodoo Kernel, geekbench says that i have 8 logical processors, so i guess it is ok..I installed the system only with some options enabled, the rest i leaved as they were default: kernel 9.5.0 Vodoo, PC_EFI V9, intel AHCI sata.

after all this i just used DSDT patch, and installed Lan manually.

hope this info can be usefull for you. :(

when I tried with EFIv90 and vodoo 9.5.0, it didn't even start, it just right back to bios booting sequence on and on. But I'm going to try. I exchanged my mobo with Extreme now. Who knows. by the way, did you update to 10.5.6? Thanks much. You gave me another confidence.

There is a way you can reset your authorizations (allowed once a year). I've done this a few times since I go through new computers quite often and forget to de-authorize them.

I would google it...

Hey Polobear,

Hmmm, interesting, thanks for the info. I'd love to be able to use that controller -- I have a lot of drives. I suppose I could just add another SATA controller card though, huh? That might be the easiest solution.

What is this patched JMicron kext you speak of? Is that the same one I'm using now that came with Digital_Dreamer's EX-58 install package? Or do I have other options? I looked around and tried a version of JMicron.kext that Slashack wrote, but it gave me kernel panics on boot.

Anybody recommend a good SATA II card?

when I tried with EFIv90 and vodoo 9.5.0, it didn't even start, it just right back to bios booting sequence on and on. But I'm going to try. I exchanged my mobo with Extreme now. Who knows. by the way, did you update to 10.5.6? Thanks much. You gave me another confidence.

hmm.. have you used busratio=20 cpus=1 ? its rly needed ;)

and btw, you should disable HT , and have only one core in bios .

hope you manage to install , good luck m8.

I havent tryed updating, but i will start it in a few minutes :(

ChipX

What kexts are you using? Where did you get them (links)? The GA-X58-Extreme has the same chipset as the GA-X58-UD5, so there should be no issue.

Everything followed as your EFI Boot Install folder. I tried digital dream's audio kext file by switching into the extensions folders of the efi boot install, but no luck, yet. I'm lost...

<snip>

After I followed the wolfienuke's guide, and when audio didn't work, I tried to replace the audio related kext files with digital_dreamer's appleHDA.kext from his GA-EX58-UD5_kext folder. But still the same problem.

<snip>

jplee4907,

Keep in mind, that for audio, you must have the HDAEnabler.kext (you haven't mentioned it), in addition to the others. For the Boot-132 method, it was the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler. For the EFI Boot method, its the appears to be the LagacyHDAController.kext, LagacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext.

If having those on the EFI partition is not working, try the putting the HDA kexts from the Boot-132 folder into the regular S/L/E directory and reboot. You can use Kext Helper b7 to get them installed with the correct permissions.

Are you saying you tried using the files from the Boot-132 method on the EFI Boot setup? If so, that won't work (as you have noted), as the EFI boot requires additional kexts and disablers for full functionality.

Keep in touch.

MAJ

jplee4907,

Keep in mind, that for audio, you must have the HDAEnabler.kext (you haven't mentioned it), in addition to the others. For the Boot-132 method, it was the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler. For the EFI Boot method, its the appears to be the LagacyHDAController.kext, LagacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext.

If having those on the EFI partition is not working, try the putting the HDA kexts from the Boot-132 folder into the regular S/L/E directory and reboot. You can use Kext Helper b7 to get them installed with the correct permissions.

Are you saying you tried using the files from the Boot-132 method on the EFI Boot setup? If so, that won't work (as you have noted), as the EFI boot requires additional kexts and disablers for full functionality.

Keep in touch.

MAJ

Hi

Thanks so much for your kind info. I think I'd better explain what I did. First, I installed the Retail DVD method exactly following your guide. 1) pre-patch, 2)retail dvd and 10.5.6 update install, 3) post-patch. I believe I installed your GA-EX58-UD5-install exactly. And the system worked fine as far as I know. After this, I followed wolfienuke's EFI Partition guide. The installation was successful and the system worked even faster. It shorten the booting time in half. So, fast! But the audio, alas!

And, after deep sleep, network is off. I believe this has been known.

I'm going to try to install your appleHDA and HDAenabler kests by using Kext helper. wish me a luck. Thanks again!

update iatkos5 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 SUCEEDED

( more or less :) , only 1 cpu works.. again with flag cpus=1 busratio=20 :D )

couldnt managed to get 4 cores working -.-

If you try again, open terminal and type kextstat before updating save the info to a file. Do the same after updating and note the version changes. That may help you find out what may have caused the issue. You can then replace some of the kexts from 10.5.5 to replace the new ones that may have caused the problem.

I always copy the entire extensions folder before updating. Open terminal any type "sudo cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/ /System/Library/ExtensionsBackup/" That way any problem kexts can always be replaced by an older/working version.

Does this really need a tutorial in the genius bar? with the exception of the work-around for the asus board, its just like installing os x on any other hardware.

I was just thinking that this is in fact state-of-the-art hardware with state-of-the-art software. And maybe consolidate the other random tips in the thread plus how to deal with 10.5.6. Mostly though I'm just confused about which of the 3 install methods in this thread is "best" (or their relative merits). I'm typing this on an existing hackintosh so that should give me a jump start on my i7 install.