• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I have had a number of people requesting nformation on exactly how I have done a retail installation on the MSI Wind using Boot132 so that it can safely use Software Update from Apple. I have quickly run through the whole process again taking notes & roughly pulled these instructions together. Forgive me for any errors or typos. I will work on this document to produce something a little more polished but in the meantime for all those who are getting frustrated with the process here is exactly how I did it. I used an external disk as it is far easier than swapping a Boot CD for the retail DVD but the general principles are just the same so can be adapted easily.

It is much, much, much easier if you use an external USB disk & do all your installation & testing on that before screwing up your laptop's internal disk. It also means that you don't need to use a Boot132 CD at all or swap it for the retail DVD, So use the MSIWindosx86 distro & install to that external disk but make sure that you partition that disk into at least 2 partitions. One for the hacked distro & the other to use for your first retail install. It's again easier If you copy the retail OS X disk .ISO to the external disk plus the 10.5.5 combo update (MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5.dmg) that you can download from Apple.

Do the retail install in the normal way by mounting the retail ISO & then opening up a Terminal window & taking root privileges by doing:

sudo su

& entering your root password when prompted.

Then start the installation application:

open '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'

Hit continue & accept the license then select the disk partition to install to (in this case the second one on the external disk). If you want to economise on some disk space then on the next screen select Customize & deselect the installation of additional Printer Drivers & Language Translations. Otherwise just take the Standard Install. Click the Install button & leave it to do its thing for a while until it tells you it is finished. It took about 30 minutes as I recall on my rather slow external disk.

While the installation is going on download this file package http://rapidshare.co...rd_Disk.dmg.zip or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G37APL1M

This contains kalyway's packaging of Chameleon & the Boot132 files ready to install onto hard disk. It also contains in the Extras folder kamikaze's package of all the kexts required to get the Wind fully functional plus in the Extensions folder the minimum set of kexts required to boot the retail OS X hard disk with Boot132.

When the OS X installation has finished then unzip (Safari will do this for you automatically) & mount the downloaded Chameleon installer disk image when you double-click on the Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk application it will prompt you as to which disk partition you want to install to. Select the appropriate partition.

To upgrade to OS X 10.5.5 mount the combo disk image MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.5.dmg that you downloaded from Apple. Run the package & press Continue, accept the license terms etc & then choose Change Install Location... & specify your target disk. Once that is done boot from the retail installation as we have one more step to accomplish. At the Darwin prompt I suggest that you enter:-

-f -v

This forces a load of all kexts & produces verbose output which if you do encounter a problem will enable you to figure out where the problem is. In general though provided it boots OK you can ignore the several screenfulls of text that will scroll past.

You should now have booted successfully & be presented with the normal OS X welcome screen that asks you to register & further screens that prompt you for a user name & password. Once you have done all that we need to install the remaining kexts that are required for the Wind to function fully under Leopard. Neither the audio kext or the 'About This Mac' enabler kext can be loaded using Boot132 & it s tricky to set up loading of all the video components using Boot132 so for simplicity I suggest that you just install them using kamikaze's package. However only select those packages that are absolutely required i.e. Network, System, Video & Audio. This package will be found in the Extras folder.

I discovered there is a problem with some file ownership &/or protection so we need to fix that before we can finally boot without problems so from Terminal:-

sudo su

cd /Extras

chmod -R 755 *

chown -R root:wheel *

Now install the kexts from kamikaze' package then again from Terminal:-

cd /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 *

chown -R root:wheel *

touch /System/Library/Extensions

When you re-boot all should be working e.g. audio & video at 1024x600

Now connect to Apple & use Software Update to install all remaining updates.

Once you are happy that you have a fully working copy of Leopard on your external disk you can install onto the internal disk. I use Super Duper to clone the external disk to the internal. Then re-run the Chameleon, Boot132 installation to make that disk bootable & you are all done.

I have just run through this whole process again on my wife's Wind taking notes so I don't think that I have missed anything but if I have I am sure that you will let me know so that I can update this guide.

Skinny2

Skinny2

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Yeah Its quite good guide...just please can you write and try a shorter version for people having just internal drive and External DVD ? Not everyone wants to do it this complicated...well I could do it once I try it...and be succesfull

kryptonyte

kryptonyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

While the installation is going on download this file package http://rapidshare.co...sk.dmg.zip.html

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the fantastic straight forward guide.

I have began following your instructions but unfortunately the above files are no longer available on rapidshare. Are you able to upload them somewhere else?

Many thanks & keep up the good work! ;)

Brett.

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Yeah Its quite good guide...just please can you write and try a shorter version for people having just internal drive and External DVD ? Not everyone wants to do it this complicated...well I could do it once I try it...and be succesfull

Sorry but I did not use Boot132 to install from an external DVD as it is far easier to use an external hard disk. I will have to leave it to someone else to write that guide as my wife has now taken over the Wind & I have assured her that I she can use it full time & that I have no more need to do anyfiddling or tweaking now that it's all working & I have upgraded the BIOS to 1.09.

I have began following your instructions but unfortunately the above files are no longer available on rapidshare. Are you able to upload them somewhere else?

Here are the updated download links http://rapidshare.co...rd_Disk.dmg.zip or http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G37APL1M

spanakorizo

spanakorizo

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
everytime you must boot with -v -f?
surprised me that updated from 10.5 retail DVD to 5.1, 5.2 ,5.3 ,5.4 and final to 10.5.5 (i have downloaded all the updates so i had to do it 1 by 1)
no kp, no need to remove kexts etc
only for my sound at 10.5.5 that i patched again and now is ok

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
No, you don't need to use the -f -v boot flags every time, just if you have a problem.

You can edit /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist & set it so that there are no messages just the gray Apple boot screen. Just add
this before the final </dict> tag:

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>

postmaster

postmaster

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

You should now have booted successfully & be presented with the normal OS X welcome screen that asks you to register & further screens that prompt you for a user name & password.

Hi,
I'm stuck at this stage. I built the external install in two ways, once from my macbook pro, and once, from the MSIWind package. Once the external drive had OSX 10.5 on it, I patched it with MSIWind_Chameleon_DFE_for_Hard_Disk.dmg.zip as you mentioned.

Upon reboot, I get to the "do you want to transfer files" screen. Select no, and after 30 seconds or so, it bounces me back to the beginning of the registration process again (select country, etc).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

mattrb

mattrb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
can you make a dfe-boot132 package for eee 1000h.
they are pretty much the same and it would be easy for you!
go to google:ipis
for more info

Harvey Dent

Harvey Dent

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
great guide but for me i did retail dvd with slimbuild dowloaded required kext and put em in iso then after install alt q to get past boot registration downloaded drivers and done

edlogic

edlogic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
wow ! thanks for the guide -

i spent a lot of time burning dvd ' s and having the install stop dead at the blue screen and i was wondering if there was a way to run the install from inside an already running system and you showed us how to do it !

i am using two external usb drives - one with the iso on it and the other one is getting the install loaded on it now - previously i was able to get iatkos5i installed vanilla kernel on my toshiba u205 laptop and now in a few minutes i will be able to see if mac install dvd will work

thanks again !

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
nigelbb,

You did not mention how you installed MSIwindOSX on the first partition?

Also you did not mention how you installed Chameleon & the Boot132 on the second partition after using Super Duper?

Thanks for the guide

NSCXP2005

edlogic

edlogic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
i restored the image of the 10.5.4 DVD to a 8 gb flash drive but it would not boot up - it locked at the blue screen - so from a working hackintosh session i used this method of executing the install app on the flash DVD image from within a terminal and the install with 10.5.4 retail went fine - only the sound did not work
the only thing i had to do to get it to boot was to install natit.kext for my GMA950 video and dsmos.kext - before i installed them - it would stop at the blue screen just like the DVD boots

then when i tried to install the update to 10.5.6 it bombed

then i decided to try the iPC_OSx86_10.5.6 but that also would not boot up from DVD or the flash drive - it stopped at the blue screen also

so i decided to try this same approach of executing the install app from within a terminal of a running hackintosh for the iPC_OSx86_10.5.6 beta distro -

i restored the DVD image to the flash drive and went in to terminal and then into the directory on the flash drive - System/Installation/Packages -
there i opened OSInstall.mkg and the install program came right up and i installed on another partition of my hard drive -

so now i have 10.5.6 Vanilla with everything working fine
i have winVista Ultimate on the first partition and then 3 smaller partitions for Mac attacks

- i forgot to mention - after i restore the image - using disk utility - to the flash drive - then i use the chameleon bootloader install to put a boot loader on the flash drive - but in my case - it did not work because even thought it started booting ok - it always locked at the blue screen - presumably because of the graphics not having the right driver .

U205 Toshiba Satellite Notebook
2 GHz Dual Core
2 GB ram
320 GB SATA Hard Drive
GMA950 graphics
AD1981 audio

nigelbb

nigelbb

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

nigelbb,

You did not mention how you installed MSIwindOSX on the first partition?

Also you did not mention how you installed Chameleon & the Boot132 on the second partition after using Super Duper?

There is no first or second partition this installation uses an external disk drive.

It's a few months since I was the first to write up a tutorial on OS X retail DVD install using Boot132 on the MSI Wind & I have now forgotten some of the details of exactly what I did. I suggest that you take a look at this improved & extended description that has been posted here http://forums.msiwin...00e8a5d6425e0e0

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Nigel,

DO you know if it would be possible to keep the Recovery partition using you guide?

Gantlett

Gantlett

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Followed your guide but updated directly to 10.5.6.

Everything works apart for video acceleration and resolution - I'm still stuck at 800x600... :)

Are there any video kexts I need to install?

pierrox

pierrox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Neither the audio kext or the 'About This Mac' enabler kext can be loaded using Boot132 & it s tricky to set up loading of all the video components using Boot132 so for simplicity I suggest that you just install them using kamikaze's package.

Very interesting guide. Did you ever manage to get the Video component in the Extra folder as opposed to have them in the /S/L/E folder? I've been trying to find out about that...

Jay794

Jay794

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I just joined this forum as I am very interested in getting OSX on my netbook (f*** the iPad) my current setup is an Advent 4213, upgraded to 2GB RAM, upgraded from XP to Windows 7, now Dual booting with Windows 7 Home Premium and Ubuntu Netbook Remix, all the internals are standard.

Seeing as the Advent 4213 is a rebadged MSI Wind, does that mean that the Mic/headphone issues have now been sorted and is OSX fully functional on the 4213?

I'm surprised at the lack of information available for the Advent netbooks, especially the 4213. Please can someone at least point me in the right direction, as all I seem to be able to find is information about the MSI Wind

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy