Chameleon with DSDT override

mackerintel

253 posts in this topic

Hy all,

Just wanted to report that it's working fine here:

Nov 4 04:48:14 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete :P

I also wanted to point that my cpu is 8° hotter with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loaded, as user roisoft.

Could we imagine this DSDT tweaks could fix other problems like EHCI ownership, or SMBIOS related problems? I mean

could we be able to replace SMBIOSResolver (and forks) by this patch? Could this also replace the dsmos.kext ? :P

I've been able to update Os X directly from 10.5 to 10.5.5 without any problems, and this is because of the DSDT override!!!

Great job thank you very much for this good improvement, and i hope and waiting for the future "Unified Bootloder".

Thanks again, bye.

I have been reading this thread and the DSDT patcher thread with great interest. However, there are some things I fail to understand.

My main question is, what is the relationship between the DSDT override and the EFI device strings Chameleon has been supporting? Is the DSDT override a replacement for EFI strings? Or, a complementary function, or no relationship at all?

If DSDT override is a replacement for the EFI strings, is there a way to convert existing EFI strings to become part of the DSDT override?

If all this is explained someplace, please point me to it and forgive my poor searching skills.

@monkeysr:

So, no more "package0 ...." errors, this seemed to work, thanks for that :D

Sorrowly i´m stuck with NTP-Time deamon. This files seems to ignore my Extra folder .... is there already a patch/workaround for DFE132 boot environment ???

kp

run dstpatcher with no errors

paste the dsdt.aml at root of the boot disk

replace my chameleon dfe boot with chameleon file from the post and rename it to "boot"

i'm on boot132 method, i must boot allways with -f -v (on a test disk/no more tests in my main installation ;))

and the kp comes after all the extensions are loaded

maybe is something else?

any ideas? did i do everything correct?

specs at sig

Hotter CPU

------------

For measuring i used to go to BIOS and read the temperature, thats why i posted here that i had no temperature raising when appleintelcpupowermanagement is loaded. When i installed TemperatureMonitor i also found higher temperature for like ~8 degrees. I removed the kext and without it loaded, T.Monitor is showing normal values again (the same in BIOS, also checking parallely). With powermanagement loaded again, temperature higher for ~8-10 degrees. I restarted to BIOS and there are normal values ~32 - 35. I don't think it can drop for 8-10 degrees in no more than 5 seconds till i reach the bios. Its a bit weird but i trust bios more. Maybe TM is not showing real values when PowerManagement is loaded, or I don't know. If you guys can check it out and have similar results as i do then we have no reasons to worry about.

Hotter CPU

------------

For measuring i used to go to BIOS and read the temperature, thats why i posted here that i had no temperature raising when appleintelcpupowermanagement is loaded. When i installed TemperatureMonitor i also found higher temperature for like ~8 degrees. I removed the kext and without it loaded, T.Monitor is showing normal values again (the same in BIOS, also checking parallely). With powermanagement loaded again, temperature higher for ~8-10 degrees. I restarted to BIOS and there are normal values ~32 - 35. I don't think it can drop for 8-10 degrees in no more than 5 seconds till i reach the bios. Its a bit weird but i trust bios more. Maybe TM is not showing real values when PowerManagement is loaded, or I don't know. If you guys can check it out and have similar results as i do then we have no reasons to worry about.

Measuring with TM can not be trusted and there have been reports that with 45u CPU's, measurements with existing tools (also on windows) give strange values. But also, rebooting to BIOS can take up 10/15 seconds? A temprature drop of 8 degrees is possible in that amount of time. But again this kext should result in lowering the temp and not raising it..

I think that Superhai's speedstep app measures CPU more reliably.. And maybe he could create a sperate app for CPU temp measuring

:)

Definitely here TM is not to be trusted. When i restart the computer, it restarts instantly and it takes not more than 5 seconds just to reach BIOS and the health status. I am not sure what you meant with droppping 8 or more degrees in ten seconds or so, did you personally test it? Even if the processor is on heavy load and after quiting the game or any other high demanding app. it takes some time, usually minutes so it can cool down. Usual drop down time, at least for me, go from 4 to 15 minutes, which is more logical for the cpu, fan and heatsink. I am not denying it, maybe other big and strong coolers can do it really fast. Regarding the real matter, i am pretty sure dsdt override and intel powermanagement isn't increasing the temperature.

I just assumed that a drop of ~8 in 10 seconds could be possible. I will give it a test. I have such a big {censored} of a heatsink (around 1 kilo).

I'll do some more tests tonight with this DSDT override. Not using OpenHaltRestart.kext my system does not shutdown correctly.

Great work on this guys! Really fantastic!

Little problem on mine. Not sure if my hardware is just too old.

Here is my output from patcher.

ACPI contains 5 values

Failed to get DSDT

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080926 [Oct 4 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Could not open input file dsdt.dat

Could not open ./dsdt.dsl

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

lspci.txt

Has anybody managed to cook up a unified chameleon+dfe+dsdt bootloader yet? Would be nice to give this a try.

My patch is directly applicable to dfe. Just one rejected define has to be manually added at the top of fake_efi.c. However this results in a bootloader bigger than 65052 bytes. Because of this limit I don't start working on SMBIOS patcher right now. As you can read on the chameleon website this size limit has been recently broken and as soon as no-limit version is available I'll write SMBIOS patcher (extensions for Chameleon which corrects your SMBIOS before loading OSX). Probably this no-limit version will include both dsdt and dfe

Great work on this guys! Really fantastic!

Little problem on mine. Not sure if my hardware is just too old.

Here is my output from patcher.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Could you post both your "ioreg -lw0"(under OSX) and "ls /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/" (under linux)? If latter contains DSDT you can do

cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT >dsdt.dat
iasl -d dsdt.dat

It will give you dsdt.dsl which can be given as a parameter to the patcher

i have downloaded the file how do you install it ? it shows 3 files the .diff file and the 2 others

sorry i am a noob here.

1. Run the patcher to create a dsdt.aml file. Place this file at the root of your OS X drive

2. Rename your old boot file (called "boot") to something else (like "bootbackup")

3. Copy the "chameleon" file from the zip over to where your boot file is. Rename this "chameleon" file to "boot"

4. Restart the computer

Here is the ioreg file. Lots of neat stuff in there.

Wondering if this might help with my sound not working and maybe help with video to change res.

In linux my /sys/firmware/acpi/ directory is empty. I used a linux live cd "backtrack" . All the hardware works under linux. Video at correct res, sound works, wireless.

Thanks!

mackerintel : Props to you! This work is really great. I think this approach can do many things.

I have been playing with this laptop as I gave up on my main PC which is what I really would like to get going.

My main PC is running the MSI P965 Platinum Bios 1.8. I installed iDeneb, Kalyway, Leo4all and all of them install but stop at the hated mac framework buffers error. I gave up when I read that my bios rev does not work. I can't roll back the bios as I am running raid and I don't want to touch the bios.

However, this thread revived my interest. You think I might be able to get it working with you patch?

How can I get the aml file since I can only run the installer? Can I run you patch from the installer?

Thanks!

ioreg.txt

Here is the ioreg file. Lots of neat stuff in there.

Wondering if this might help with my sound not working and maybe help with video to change res.

In linux my /sys/firmware/acpi/ directory is empty. I used a linux live cd "backtrack" . All the hardware works under linux. Video at correct res, sound works, wireless.

You too have the problem of DSDT named DSDT.0. Here is your DSDT that you can give to patcher as command-line argument. I made a small correction for you sleep

cybernet.dsl.txt