How do you install .dll's in Darwine?

10 posts in this topic

How do you install Windows .dll's in Darwine? I can't seem to find a way - using WineHelper (Darwine 0.9.10). The programs I'm trying to use with Darwine are Nero 7, Virtualdub (works, but I get an error at start), MediaPortal, and a few games - if possible.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KublaKhan

Most I've been able to just copy them into the X:\windows\system32 folder. You can then use winecfg.exe and go to the "Libraries" tab to add the DLL for a partiuclar application. Oh, before going to the Libraries tab, you must go to the "Applications" tab and add the application name. The Applications and Libraries tabs are linked, so after adding the app, the DLL's added will only be used for that app.

Some applications have installed DLLs to "Common" folders under "Program Files" and I had to move them into the folder the application is stored in. I had to do that trying to get AutoCAD 2000 to work (which it didn't in the end, due to some piece that's missing with OSX86 wine).

how do you know what dll install for the application??

isnt there a "package i can download and put it on my system32 folder??? :E

I just tried running the application, and it reported what DLL's were missing. Not sure what the other ways of telling are.

how do you know what dll install for the application??

isnt there a "package i can download and put it on my system32 folder??? :E

Not going to be a comprehensive package anywhere. That is because any application can use any number of specialized dlls.

Most apps will report the name of the missing dll. The problem often arises tho, when a specific version is required, because as newer versions are released, calls & functions may get added or deleted.

If you get stuck with a tough dll problem, a good starting point is a "dependency walker" type tool. There are so many available - from free by Microsoft, to commercial versions by others.

Google is your friend. Just type "dll dependencies" (minus the quotes), and the very first few hits will give you a quick read, and a number of tools to experiment with.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, monts later, but here is how to do that.

You only need to do the next:

open wine helper > wine menu > configure wine > drivers tab > there you can see where is alocated the wine folder

finder > open any folder >  + shift + g >and enter the path to the folder (you obtained this path in the steep above) for me is "/Users/Red/.wine/", then you can navigate easely trought folders inside wine directory, and find the dll's place.