Control Nvidia card fan speeds?

Qjimbo

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a 8800GT card, using Kalyway with the NVInject-512 driver, and I want to control the fan on my graphics card to run it slower (since I used to do this in windows all the time and it worked with no problems)

I have tried using smcFanControl but unfortunately that doesn't detect any fans so I cannot use it. Are there any solutions to this?

Thanks,

Q

i remember that i looked everywhere for this, cause i have also 8800GT

but this a long time ago, when i thought kernel panics caused by the gpu getting hot when editing videos

now my system is stable, i don't need to change the fan speed (kp where because of memory remap feauture)

stock fan speed of the 8800gt is at 30% , why you want to change it?

faster i would understand but slower?

• 8 months later...

So, how you solved this problem? Is there any way to accelerate fan speed on 8800GT in OS X? My card is very hot and running on 30% fan rpm. In linux, I jack it up to 65% with nvclock, and in Windws wih Rivatuner, but I don't know how to solve this problem in OS X. I really want to avoid flashing at this point... this issue kepps me from using OS X on sunny days... :D

• 1 month later...
my problem is that my 9800GTX+ fan always runs on 100% is there a fix for it?

I've got a 9800 GTX+ 512MB and it when the gray boot screen goes to black & then blue - that's when its fan drops to about 20% or so.

I only have a proper device property for my card in com.apple.boot.plist that Chameleon uses. Nothing else graphics related.

Guides:

this is the one I used:

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?PHPSESSI...msg1929#msg1929

but there are other guides:

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=569

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=91755

http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=64.0

Note: google EFIStudio & that does essentially the same thing in a less command-line way.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also having a related issue. I am using SL and a 9800gt.. I am only using an efi string in my com.apple.Boot.plist for graphics functionality.

For me, the system boots with the gpu fan very quiet. But as soon as I load a game, or for example glextensionsviewer, the fans go to 100% and never lowers. Meaning, even after I have closed the application that was stressing the gpu, the fan never slows down.

Any ideas a fix for this?

edit: thought of something. My card is the new zotac eco 9800 gt. Could my problem be that the card is being overclocked by using a efi string for a real 9800 gt, and not to proper specs of this card?

i just recently got my GTS 250 up and running.

i've been searching for a way to monitor and lower the temp of my new card to preserve it but it's just been impossible. noone seems to have a solution.

I think flashing the BIOS (as some have done and had success with) is the only way.

Anyone have any ideas?

I spoke with the people over at atMonitor and they told me that hacks have messed up SMC reader which is why atMonitor can't read the temps correctly on GPU's (and CPU's for that matter). Would it be too difficult for one of the gurus here to write some kind of SMC kext that would fix this issue?

This would really make my hack complete...!! ;)

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I switched my PC from a build of iDeneb to W7 last April after my graphics card died and was replaced by an XFX 250 GTS.

The card was driving me nuts under OSX, because it was not capable of controlling the fan speed. Unfortunately the card appears to have it's fans controlled by drivers, since even when booting Windows they will stay at 100% until drivers are loaded at startup.

Unfortunately there was no fan control for my card in OSX whatsoever, meaning that the card fan would run at a very noisy 100% all the time.

Have there been any improvements or fixes in this department? Or would it be a case of me purchasing a third-party cooler for my card and adjusting that?

Cheers