Mac OS X 10.5.5 VMware Virtual Machine Image (iDeneb 10.5.5)

132 posts in this topic

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the file, I was able to get it running on my vmware workstation 7.1.2 on Win 7 Ult. x64 with a GigaByte H55N-USB3, i5-655K, and a PowerColor 5670 Go Green video card. I decided to go ahead and order it from Apple as it's only $29.

I have two issues with vmware version:

1st I'm stuck at 1024x768 resolution and no other resolution is listed.

2nd I can't update anything as it won't accept the password of password. I even tried the original Xelabo and xelabo without luck.

I downloaded this version for testing:

@tpb/torrent/4798016/MAC_OS_X_Leopard_10.5.5_VMware_Image

Also, the name was user. Should I have a different name?

This also had some strange language. It looked Russian or something, but I was able to get it to English with a little googling.

If this is invalid, does anyone have a valid link?

Thanks for the file, I was able to get it running on my vmware workstation 7.1.2 on Win 7 Ult. x64 with a GigaByte H55N-USB3, i5-655K, and a PowerColor 5670 Go Green video card. I decided to go ahead and order it from Apple as it's only $29.

I have two issues with vmware version:

1st I'm stuck at 1024x768 resolution and no other resolution is listed.

2nd I can't update anything as it won't accept the password of password. I even tried the original Xelabo and xelabo without luck.

I downloaded this version for testing:

@tpb/torrent/4798016/MAC_OS_X_Leopard_10.5.5_VMware_Image

Also, the name was user. Should I have a different name?

This also had some strange language. It looked Russian or something, but I was able to get it to English with a little googling.

If this is invalid, does anyone have a valid link?

You mention having purchased the retail DVD of 10.6, if that is the case have a look at a post I did recently, it should give you all the links required to get the Retail version of OS X installed and running under VMware Workstation 7.1.2 or 7.1.3 (the latest).

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1598214

Thank you for the link. It will come in handy.

You wouldn't by chance have a link for installing 10.6 on my hard drive direct? I have multiple hard drives and would prefer a non-vmware install. I was just running this for testing and seeing if I wanted to buy it or not.

BTW, I have an H55 board with a i3-550 processor and 4GB of RAM plus a Powercolor HD5670 Go Greed edition video card. I assume it will work from all the articles I've been reading, but expect some tweaking to do it.

Thanks again

-=Mark=-

• 2 weeks later...
Hello:

I registered to share my success, with the "crashing" issue. First, to all of those that are having the CRASH issue after the login window verbose text, the error is below:

My system specs are:

Intel i7, NVidia Chipset Tri-SLI mobo, geforce 285 gtx, onboard Silicon Image controller RAID0

I tried to install and use the free VMware Player first, because I did not want to install the workstation. I tried editing the config file to no ends, following the instructions on OSx86's Wiki (http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware), etc. No go.

I installed an evaluation of VMWare 6.5.3. No go. Tried changing all sorts of settings. No go.

Then, digging deep, I found this one settings:

Edit virtual machine settings -> Hardware Tab -> Processors -> Execution Mode.

I changed the "Preferred mode" to several options. The one that got it to boot, successfully, was: "Binary translation" w/"VMWare kernel paravirtualization".

Now, I am writing this without fully testing all of the other Preferred modes and changing other settings. But, I wanted to know exactly what got it to boot on my system, after spending nearly a day on this thing on and off between meetings.

So, I recommend changing the Preferred mode to at least Binary, and then try other modes to see what it best performs in. On older CPUs (again, I have the i7), some of the options will be different then others. But, binary translation should be on everyone's version.

I believe it is also the slowest option though. So, tweak the checkboxes and different dropdowns. It got it working for me.

EDIT: I tried all modes, and they work. I am even using 2 virtual CPUs. What made it work was the checkbox entry for "VMWare kernel paravirtualization". Without this checked, I get the crash noted above. Reading the help file, it says "If you have a VMI enabled kernel." Odd, OSX supprots VMWare? :D lol

Long story short, it was the "VMWare kernel paravirtualization" that made it work on my i7.

After a day and a half trying to boot Xelabo's Mac OSX 10.5.5 I followed your recommendation and finally I could boot this mvware machine. I was almost giving up on it.

Regards.

To the ones stuck forever in the gray bootup screen with the apple logo:

Step 1. Disable Intel hardware visualization from your BIOS. This will cause VmWare to be in HW emulation mode. Your virtual Leopard will be sluggish, but you should be able to boot. Note that anytime you enable or disable the HW virtualization setting in the BIOS, one has to completely power off (cold restart) the CPU for 10 seconds before booting.

I'm getting the gray bootup screen, but can't find any hardware visualization in BIOS or anything like it. Got a Acer 1820PT.