Mac OS X 10.5.5 VMware Virtual Machine Image (iDeneb 10.5.5)

132 posts in this topic

After spending waaaaay too much time on this, I finally got a near perfect installation of MacOSX running in VMWare. I found pcwiz's instance to be way to slow, and also he created it with a 15Gig partition which was way too small for me and I could not find a way to resize it. So I created my own instance using the latest version of ideneb. Here is what I ended up doing.

Download ideneb 1.4 for leopard 10.5.6

Run vmware workstation, create a new instance, set it to FreeBSD 64bit

Create a 64 gig virtual disk (or however big you need), I used SCSI type

Mount the ideneb ISO as a cd/dvd rom drive

Boot off the dvd

when you get to the install location portion of the install wizard, run disk utils (upper menu bar) and create single partition (default type, journaled HFS+)

install ideneb

after installation, edit your .vmx file and change guest OS to "darwin-64"

bootup

now you should have a working leopard install- for me everything worked right away, I just needed to adjust my monitor resolution as described here:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=32

you will need to 'su root' to edit that file... to do this, to set the root passwd type: 'sudo passwd root' from the account you installed in.

Working great now, this is awesome!

This works like a charm for me (laggy, but.. good enough for my needs).

Actually, this doesn't really work well for me.. when I try to use xcode, the machine reboots. Something's not right..

One question, though.. how do I change the screen resolution? Only 1024x768 shows up in the system preferences.. and I'd like to use 1280x1024..

Hello,

i converted the image to ESX Server with AMD Processor. It starts with no problems and now, ive got a problem with the network interface. It don't works... I tryed to use this methods from pcwiz:

Ethernet How-To

• To get Ethernet working in Leopard on VMWare follow these instructions (its easy)
  • Back at the VM home screen, go to VM menu >> Settings
  • Click Add and from the dialog that comes up, choose Ethernet Adapter and click Next
  • Make sure Bridged is chosen and the Connect at power on box is checked and click Finish
  • Boot into your Leopard VM and go to System Preferences (in the Dock)
  • Click on the Network preference pane
  • It will say that a new interface (en0) has been detected, choose the Ethernet Adapter from the left pane
  • Assuming that your internet is auto configuring DHCP, just click the Apply button.
  • Even if it says Cable disconnected or not connected, ignore it, Ethernet will still work
  • It will pull up all your DNS info and everything automatically, close System Preferences
  • You should be able to use Apple Software Update and go on the net fine!

Ethernet Method 2

• If it still doesn't work, here's another method to do it (make sure that you have an Ethernet adapter configured as Bridged and that you have rebooted the virtual machine after adding the adapter)
  • Go back to System Preferences and open the Network preferences again
  • Click on Ethernet from the left pane and at the bottom click the Assist Me button
  • In the resulting dialog box click the Assistant button
  • The Network Setup Assistant will start up, give the Location a name and click Continue
  • Choose the "I use a cable modem to connect to the Internet" option
  • Click Continue again, and then it will take a moment and tell you that you can't connect automatically and to enter some details
  • Without entering any details click Continue and click OK at the dialog box (this sort of "activates" the Ethernet)
  • Now click the Go Back button twice to get to the screen to choose a connection option
  • This time choose "I connect to my local area network (LAN)"
  • At the Ready to Connect screen click Continue and now it will give you a confirmation that you are connected
  • Click Done or whatever button and close System Preferences, Internet should be working

After spending waaaaay too much time on this, I finally got a near perfect installation of MacOSX running in VMWare. I found pcwiz's instance to be way to slow, and also he created it with a 15Gig partition which was way too small for me and I could not find a way to resize it. So I created my own instance using the latest version of ideneb. Here is what I ended up doing.

Download ideneb 1.4 for leopard 10.5.6

Run vmware workstation, create a new instance, set it to FreeBSD 64bit

Create a 64 gig virtual disk (or however big you need), I used SCSI type

Mount the ideneb ISO as a cd/dvd rom drive

Boot off the dvd

when you get to the install location portion of the install wizard, run disk utils (upper menu bar) and create single partition (default type, journaled HFS+)

install ideneb

after installation, edit your .vmx file and change guest OS to "darwin-64"

bootup

now you should have a working leopard install- for me everything worked right away, I just needed to adjust my monitor resolution as described here:

http://######.com/index.php?option=...1&Itemid=32

you will need to 'su root' to edit that file... to do this, to set the root passwd type: 'sudo passwd root' from the account you installed in.

Working great now, this is awesome!

Hey, I'd like to this method out because the main one posted here gives me the same issue that the last few people on this thread have had... I was hoping I could get it to work your way.

However, I'm getting a bit confused on some of the instructions (Sorry, never really used VMWare before).

When you say

"Boot off the dvd

when you get to the install location portion of the install wizard, run disk utils (upper menu bar) and create single partition (default type, journaled HFS+)"

You mean in VMWare, right? Because I don't really see any "disk utils" thing in VMWare.

Also, when you say "install ideneb," where exactly am I installing it, and what am I using to install it? Am I installing it within the virtualization, or on my normal computer?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried upgrading to 10.5.7? Also I was hoping someone had success installing the iPhone SDK. All I see is people that are getting stalled or rebooted due to Xcode.

I figure it won't work if 10.5.6 hasn't but I will clone and give it a try if no one else has.

Thanks.

Has anyone tried upgrading to 10.5.7? Also I was hoping someone had success installing the iPhone SDK. All I see is people that are getting stalled or rebooted due to Xcode.

I figure it won't work if 10.5.6 hasn't but I will clone and give it a try if no one else has.

Thanks.

Yea, 10.5.7 or 10.5.6 does not work. I've tried it myself, but it's a no go. Does anyone know of a solution??

Hello everybody,

I have an Asus m50vm:

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 : 2,8 GHz - 2,0 GHz

4096 Mo DDR2 800 MHz

NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GS, 1 Go VRAM

I used VMPlayer with the image but it's not working. The boot doesn't pass the apple logo (sorry for the english but i'm french).

I have a error message :

captureiya.th.png

I try on both, windows and ubuntu and I have the same problem.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

i'm using vmware 6.5.1 and the VM seems fine, the problem is it's stuck at a loading screen with the apply logo and a Grey background with a loading logo at the bottom, i left the computer for a couple of hours , came back and it's the same.

is that a common problem or something? or am i doing something wrong?

thanks.

Using Workstation you can choose to restore a snapshot instead of trying a fresh boot. This seems to work for just about any hardware, however you will then have to reset the network. Also, if you reboot, you will run into the same issue and have to restore the snapshot again.

Hi guys,

I have uploaded a version of Xelabo's image to demonoid.com

just look for "MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.5 VMware Image"

all the info is on the site before downloading the torrent... Xelabo: i changed the password to make it easier

**NOTE - all the credit goes to Xelabo for making the image...

AMD patch has being applied as well no need to do that step :) g luck and happy dling

Interesting you changed the password. What is the root password now? No root password - cannot install anything.

Thanks.

there is a 10.5.6 vm image floating around

both 10.5.5 and 10.5.6 crash and burn if you update to 10.5.7 ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To the ones stuck forever in the gray bootup screen with the apple logo:

Step 1. Disable Intel hardware visualization from your BIOS. This will cause VmWare to be in HW emulation mode. Your virtual Leopard will be sluggish, but you should be able to boot. Note that anytime you enable or disable the HW virtualization setting in the BIOS, one has to completely power off (cold restart) the CPU for 10 seconds before booting.

Step 2. Once you successfully booted in Leopard, "hibernate" your virtual Leopard.

Step 3. Reboot to change your BIOS setting back to enable Intel HW virtualization technology. Note that any time you enable or disable the HW virtualization setting in the BIOS, one has to completely power off (cold restart) the CPU for 10 seconds before booting.

Step 4. Boot and restore your virtual Leopard from "hibernation", it should no longer be sluggish -- but remember NOT to shutdown/reboot -- you can only pause/hibernate and restore while HW virtualization is enabled.

To the ones with a sluggish virtual Leopard:

Start from step 2 above.

At least, this is what worked for me...

Enjoy,

Johnny901

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to update to 10.5.7:

Download the iDeneb Combo Update to 10.5.7 and follow on-screen instructions. When the darwin bootloader shows up, press any key and type in "anv" to boot successfully.

When I did that, I get: "Virtiual Machine kernel stack fault (hardware reset)"

did u type in "anv" when it comes to the Darwin bootloader?? It won't work without that argument.

yes. I did type anv, but I'm still getting that kernel stack fault.

Are you talking about when I power on my VM, it then has some text about pressing any key for boot options.

boot:

I then typed anv and enter.

To the ones stuck forever in the gray bootup screen with the apple logo:

Step 1. Disable Intel hardware visualization from your BIOS. This will cause VmWare to be in HW emulation mode. Your virtual Leopard will be sluggish, but you should be able to boot. Note that anytime you enable or disable the HW virtualization setting in the BIOS, one has to completely power off (cold restart) the CPU for 10 seconds before booting.

Step 2. Once you successfully booted in Leopard, "hibernate" your virtual Leopard.

Step 3. Reboot to change your BIOS setting back to enable Intel HW virtualization technology. Note that any time you enable or disable the HW virtualization setting in the BIOS, one has to completely power off (cold restart) the CPU for 10 seconds before booting.

Step 4. Boot and restore your virtual Leopard from "hibernation", it should no longer be sluggish -- but remember NOT to shutdown/reboot -- you can only pause/hibernate and restore while HW virtualization is enabled.

To the ones with a sluggish virtual Leopard:

Start from step 2 above.

At least, this is what worked for me...

Enjoy,

Johnny901

Can you please give us more clear steps so we can follow it!

I am even don't know what's the keys for the BIOS mode, but I searched and found it's: Command-Alt-O-F ,,

I have Vista x64 and when I tried the snabshot it works fine but it's very sluggish, so do you have any idea to solve that..

How can I exactly disable that hardware visualization from BIOS is this from my pc or the virtual with mac?

Thanks anyway,

Best Regards

1.can i run this using a windows as the main os

2. when i get it laoded can i use CCC to install it on a CD card

and use it as a real system

thx in advance

I also want to know this as I am going to try and install it on a buddies Compaq Evo D500 Ultra Slim and would like to set up where he could dual boot.. Problem is he has no DVD Reader/Writer and it's a pain to find one for that system..

So I'm gunna transport the VMWare files via Flash Drive...

Also for drivers would I need to search for and install specials .kexts and just install them as usual or .dmg files too?