iMac G3 350 (Blueberry) Tiger installation

16 posts in this topic

OK, so here's the situation.

I will soon have an old iMac G3 350 (Slot loading CD) and want to install Tiger on it. I know I have to check the firmware versions and stuff like that beforehand.

I have a Tiger DVD, but the iMac only has a CD drive. My question is, can I install the iMac's hard drive in my hackintosh and run the Tiger installer from the DVD inside Leopard? Will the iMac boot from this drive (provided it's formatted using Apple Partition Map)?

I have a Tiger DVD, but the iMac only has a DVD drive.

Ok, so what is the "problem"?

(there is a 4CD copy of Tiger at that Pirate place by the Bay for the taking)

Typo, I meant CD. Just visited the bay, thanks, however my 'net connection is terribly slow. and I think the installation would be faster running on my Core 2 Duo than on the old G3.

I'm also just curious to know if this would work.

It long and tedious......

I installled the OS on a drive that was formatted GUID and HFS+ then CCC'ed it to the drive from the iMac that was formatted Apple Partition MAP.

My one iMac DV (Red) could boot from USB, so I Apple Partitioned Mapped it CCC'ed the Install files over to it, and used the ALT button to choose the boot option.

I have one, with 1GB memory and a 20GB HDD, Wireless and it works great for playing iTunes Radio, ripping Audio CD's and serving Skype(with an old USB LogitechCAM)

Also have a spare image, so the neighborhood's kid can try and mess it up! It only takes 13min to get back to operational status again!

StiCMAN

ps must add, it is not as nice as my eMac with 2GB, 120GB, 17", Wireless

Even if it's possible, Tiger would be pretty slow on a machine that old. It's not great on my iBook G3 800 as it is. Compared to when it ran Panther, video playback is all but unworkable. Even Youtube is out.

really simply (if your other computer has firewire)

boot the imac in target disk mode

insert the tiger dvd in your other mac and reboot that thing so it boots up the dvd

choose as installation destination the imac G3 (which should appear as a firewire drive)

but i doubt tiger will run good on that one; i have an G3 400 imac and panther runs very {censored} on it (320 mb ram)

edit : oh, i see that your second pc is a hack, i think it won't boot the tiger dvd as it's not a powerpc architecture :)

In your iMac, format, and partition your drive, making a partition big enough to contain the installer (DVD). Move the drive to your hack, and copy the DVD over to the partition you created to hold it, replace drive in iMac, and using the options key boot the installer.

Firewire target disk mode will not work on your hack.

You can't move installs between PPC and Intel.

But, at the end of the day, you would be best to do as I suggested, and snag the 4CD set, as some repair options require the install disks.

Thanks for the input everyone! :) I went and grabbed that 4CD set, but I may try restoring the DVD to a partition as Reveeen suggested, just for fun.

The iMac hasn't arrived yet though, so we'll see what happens. I am expecting it to be terribly slow, but it's for experimental/sentimental purposes - didn't want to see the thing go to the trash. If all else fails I'll install Debian PPC or some old ubuntu version. :P

didn't want to see the thing go to the trash

I "twitch" whenever I see an older computer, be it a PC, or a Mac, need rescuing, but once you fill up the spare bedroom, the basement, and the garage, with obsolete computers/parts that no one seems to want, you have to become selective.

I haven't quite got to that point yet, but I see what you mean.

I actually ended up rescuing an older iMac (G3 333/Tray) and installed Tiger on it (OS9, ROM update, Xpostfacto and all that fun stuff).

On another note, does anyone know of an OSX video player that works well enough on a G3?

Also, I noticed that the iMac's CD-ROM drive looks a lot like the slim IDE DVD-RW drive in my Acer laptop. Are they the same, and would the iMac recognize a regular 'PC' laptop DVD drive?

OSX video player that works well enough on a G3?

VLC?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

(fingers FIRMLY crossed)

I noticed that the iMac's CD-ROM drive looks a lot like the slim IDE DVD-RW drive in my Acer laptop

Yes.

Are they the same, and would the iMac recognize a regular 'PC' laptop DVD drive?

1) yes

2) maybe Macs are fairly picky as to what make/model of CD/DVD drives they will boot from, your best bet is to check the list here:

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

On the drive you remove there will be an adapter (to convert a laptop drive to work in your iMac) you unplug it from the drive and install it on/into the new drive, DO NOT THROW IT OUT, they are as rare as hens teeth (or at least rare in normal situations, and quite costly).

One more question... Assuming I have the AirPort adapter, can any PCMCIA/cardbus card be used in the slot? I have a few Atheros-based wireless cards (WG511T, WPN511). Would I be able to simply edit the Info.plist for the atheros kext and get these to work?

I also just noticed that there's no IO80211Family.kext on this iMac. Why is it missing and where can I get the latest version (I'm running 10.4.11)?

• 2 months later...

Hello again

Just figured I'd post what I ended up doing to solve my wifi and video playback problems, just in case it can help someone.

for Wifi, I picked up an ethernet-to-wifi bridge (actually a DWL-900AP+ access point, in client mode).

Video playback was terrible in all the apps i tried: VLC, Chroma, QuickTime, MplayerOSX. I'd always heard of people claiming that compiling from source yielded performance improvements, so I installed Xcode and MacPorts, and installed mplayer via MacPorts. It took a while to compile, but now I can play XVID AVIs without noticeable skipping. Note however that you must use -vo quartz, as -vo macosx just produces a black window.