ATI ATA Chipset Imporved

Zappadoc

62 posts in this topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

All the links are broken, im trying to find, a SB200 kext that work! . i have one, but when i install it, works on the first restart, but when i restart again appears a prohibit icon on the apple load screen and i have to RE INSTALL! any suggestions? updated kexts?

PLEASE HELP!!

• 6 months later...
Ok, here you will find the new improved ATI IPX/ATA driver.

I started from Open Darwin AppleOnBoardATA source pkg like Scousi (thanks again for this great idea my friend) but I've made a new class for ATI chipsets (AppleATIIXPATA) rather than patch the ServerWorksATA class with support 0x4349 and 0x4376 device id and also add the support of UDMA from 66 to 133 (mode 4, 5 and 6).

your approach is very good, Zappadoc.

don't know if it will be useful for you or not, but I've found 2 specs on Clock Generators for ATI RS400 and RS480 chipsets.

they might be used for frequency management including following power consumption management in result.

115_5_002690_CY28RS400.pdf

115_5_002691_CY28RS480.pdf

• 1 month later...

Guys, sorry for bumping old topic. BUT!

I have ATI IDE Controller SB450, I even made my DVD drive able to install Leopard natively. But the installation takes 2-3 hours cause of very-very-very slow disk writing operations (about 1-2MB/s speed according to installation log). How it comes?

More details in my another topic here. I really need the solution, cause it's very hard to install and install it again ti test other possible issues, and I'm afraid that my HDD will be overheated.

And there are now strings while loading like:

AppleATIIXPATA: ATI SB450 (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xf800)

or

AppleATIIXPATA: ATI ATA (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xf800)

but there are strings with VIAATA and some similar to (CMD 0x1f0, CTR 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xf800) but with different digits

Thank you.

== ADDED ==

Installed Leo4All v2. There is absolutely nothing in dmesg regarding my ATA Controller. Even no string with VIAATA, and no VIAATA.kext inside. Tried this solution on Leo v2, it becomes some better, however still booting 8-10 minutes, shutdown ~15-20 minutes, every mouse click reaction upto 1-2 minutes.

== ADDED ==

Possibly (just suggestion) that now, being patched, the speed is ok, but HDD continuously going to sleep mode or just powered off after each operation. Not sure, but who knows.

== ADDED after TIGER (mac.nub 10.4.10) installation ==

I am confused but this doesn't work on my machine properly even with Tiger. Yes, a little faster, but booting 5-10 minutes and large pauses in HDD work during EVERY mouse click....

• 2 weeks later...

== SOME UPDATE regarding ATI S450 IDE Controller ==

Distro: Leo4all, Leo4allv2 (Leopard 10.5.2)

I've made some test. Below are results

1. Using AppleGenericPCATA.kext (I've taken this kext from some tiger threads whre guys improved ATA issues):

HDD works slowly, but continuously, without gaps, pauses, only slow. Similar to inactivated DMA mode.

2. Using AppleOnboardPCATA or AppleVIAATA:

Read\write operations are fast as should be, however there are a lot of long pauses between processing data portions. That's why using both 1. and 2. produces the same result: ~3 hours installation takes, 15-30 minutes for boot, 10-15 minutes for shutdown.

Still need any help. And new idea, possibly this caused not by IDE Controller, but some other device?

• 8 months later...

it tried to download the kext, but the link seems to be broken. can you repost it please?

I started from Open Darwin AppleOnBoardATA source pkg like Scousi (thanks again for this great idea my friend) but I've made a new class for ATI chipsets (AppleATIIXPATA) rather than patch the ServerWorksATA class with support 0x4349 and 0x4376 device id and also add the support of UDMA from 66 to 133 (mode 4, 5 and 6).

Ez Installation :) :

- uncompress the archive on the root of your harddisk

- launch Terminal with sudo -s + password

- cp /AppleOnboardATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- check the permission:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext

- remove AppleGenericATA and AppleOnBoardATA from IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

- Remove kextcache

rm Extension.kextcache from /System/Library

- rebuild kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

- reboot

on standard or verbose mode you must see on the screen or on system.log someting like :

or

Enjoy!

Z

ps: could you tell me the device ID of SB100/SB150/SB200/SB250 chipset and confirm the SB450, thanks!

download the kext here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13413

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Will This work with ATI IXP SB460?

Sorry if this is already asked somewhere in the thread.

Any chance we can get the source or at least a snow leopard port?

Or maybe the leopard kext will work fine in snow leopard as long as its run in 32 bit mode? (which it will since this chipset is only for cpus not 64 bit I think).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Ez Installation :):

- uncompress the archive on the root of your harddisk

- launch Terminal with sudo -s + password

- cp /AppleOnboardATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- check the permission:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnBoardATA.kext

- remove AppleGenericATA and AppleOnBoardATA from IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

- Remove kextcache

rm Extension.kextcache from /System/Library

- rebuild kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

- reboot

on standard or verbose mode you must see on the screen or on system.log someting like :

or

Enjoy!

Z

ps: could you tell me the device ID of SB100/SB150/SB200/SB250 chipset and confirm the SB450, thanks!

download the kext here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13413

We tried to download it but i was taken to a search portal web site....

will you please mail me the kext file which i need to install.....???

my mail id is siddharthtd@gmail.com

or sohamkelkar20@gmail.com

Thanks...

SID0309