Logic Pro 8 - Channel EQ crashes

gregsk1

17 posts in this topic

Hey all !

I have Logic Pro 8 running great, apart from a problem with Channel EQ

(ie. where you can see the EQ modification at the top of the channel in the mixer window).

I can add multiple plugin effects to a number of sends, and have been using Fat EQ instead, but i wonder why if i apply Channel EQ and start playing the track, i get a Logic crash (usually the multithreaded one).

Anyone had this?

If it's the system in your specs two things come to mind: 1GB of RAM and the fact it's a pre-core CPU. The RAM may not be a major issue, but it's always nice to have at least a couple of gigs of it if you're using anything intensive.

However, a pre-core system will be using a custom kernel so there may be problems with the lack of SSE3 instructions or the manner it uses to convert/replace SSE3 calls. This is only guesswork as I don't have Logic or a pre-core CPU.

I agree it´s probably a cpu and memory problem so I´d try to find a P4 with sse3 got to be really cheap these days. I´ve had logic running pretty ok on a sse3 with 4 gigs and when I loaded to many plugins it only frooze said it had memory problems or something but it never crasched I could allways take some of the load of of it and keep working.

Thanks for the responses guys. I agree that 1gb of ram isnt much, but i don't *think* this problem is ram related. For example, i'm working on a 19 track song at the moment which has:

5 x EX24s

3 x ES1's

6 x Logic compressors

1 x Logic Limiter

2 x Logic bitcrushers

3 x Logic reverbs

5 x Logic fat EQs

2 x NI Massive synths (notoriously resource hungry)

and it runs fine! Yet if i open a new project with 2 tracks and 2 Channel EQ's, it falls over.

I've tried turning off the channel EQ graphic, but that made no difference.

I wonder if Channel EQ differs from all the other plugins and makes some kind of SS3 calls?

I'm really pleased that i have Logic running sweetly on such a low spec machine, Channel EQ is the only problem.

You can just put the new kernel without deleting the old one

Just put the kernel you wanna try on the root of your HD, repair permissions reboot

Press F8 at boot & boot the new kernel by using " thenameofyourkernel " ie : test_kernel

Then you can boot the new kernel without removing the old one

If it works you ll just have to replace the old one with the new one

Hope this helps

Bye

If it's the system in your specs two things come to mind: 1GB of RAM and the fact it's a pre-core CPU. The RAM may not be a major issue, but it's always nice to have at least a couple of gigs of it if you're using anything intensive.

However, a pre-core system will be using a custom kernel so there may be problems with the lack of SSE3 instructions or the manner it uses to convert/replace SSE3 calls. This is only guesswork as I don't have Logic or a pre-core CPU.

Do you mean SSSE3, with Three S's? Pre-core CPUs have had SSE3[Two S's] for a long time.

Thanks for the info De Sad - i've been using the Sonalkysis eq actually, but that crashed a couple times at the weekend :D I guess my setup is a little sensitive to EQ plugins. Weird, as synth plugins and other effect types seem fine.

You can simply use a additive eq like tritone angel smile.gif

I guess he first need to solve his problem

Who knows ...maybe it s not the only bug ....

I personnaly couldn t live with a semi working logic

have u tried an other kernel ?

Also it can be a pb with Applesmbios or smbiosenabler

Do you have smbiosenabler loaded on your system ?

have u tried an other kernel ?

No i haven't tried any others, i'm not too sure which one to go for to be honest.

Also it can be a pb with Applesmbios or smbiosenabler

Do you have smbiosenabler loaded on your system ?

Not that i know of. I just have the standard JaS 10.4.8 install.

What would the smbiosenabler allow me to do?

• 2 weeks later...
Not that i know of. I just have the standard JaS 10.4.8 install.

What would the smbiosenabler allow me to do?

Thanks smile.gif

Just check if it s loaded on your extentions pane. I already had some pb with it loaded

No i haven't tried any others, i'm not too sure which one to go for to be honest.

Why not the vanilla ???