Emulating Mac OS 9.2.2

18 posts in this topic

Ever since 2003, Apple changed the firmware on their PowerPC machines so that they would no longer be able to boot the included Mac OS 9.2.2 naively. However, I recall that Mac OS Classic supposedly can be copied entirely to another hard drive by copying the System and Applications folders. If the System and Applications folders of a non-bootable version of Classic were placed in a disc image and used in a PowerMac emulator, would the image be able to successfully boot OS 9 on the emulator?

Ever since 2003, Apple changed the firmware on their PowerPC machines so that they would no longer be able to boot the included Mac OS 9.2.2 naively. However, I recall that Mac OS Classic supposedly can be copied entirely to another hard drive by copying the System and Applications folders. If the System and Applications folders of a non-bootable version of Classic were placed in a disc image and used in a PowerMac emulator, would the image be able to successfully boot OS 9 on the emulator?

You must be talking about SheepShaver. However, I would strongly recommend you stick with Apple's Classic mode, as it has much better compatibility, and integrates (almost) seamlessly with OS X. Only problem is a PPC-based Mac is a requirement. For whatever reason, Apple decided to kill the Classic mode on Intel-based Macs. It's kinda weird that PPC Macs can run 22 year-old apps while the Intel Macs are limited to 5 years, but that's progress I guess. Anyway, for your Intel Mac, SheepShaver is your only option so be thankful for Gwenole Beauchesne.

Not quite. Im asking if it's possible to emulate the entire OS 9 operating system using a PowerPC emulator and the preinstalled Classic folders. The reason I ask is because I was always under the impression that the OS needs to be installed within the emulator onto a blank image or loaded from a preexisting image.

Not quite. Im asking if it's possible to emulate the entire OS 9 operating system using a PowerPC emulator and the preinstalled Classic folders. The reason I ask is because I was always under the impression that the OS needs to be installed within the emulator onto a blank image or loaded from a preexisting image.

On a PPC-based Mac, you can use an emulator called Mac On Mac to emulate a 9.2.2 system. Hypothetically, you should be able to copy your existing 9.2.2 System Folder to an HFS+ formatted disk image (with OS 9 drivers installed), and boot with Mac On Mac. As I recall, however, Mac On Mac doesn't work with Tiger. On an Intel-based Mac, your only option is SheepShaver, which can emulate up to OS 9.0.4, thus your existing 9.2.2 System Folder will not work with SheepShaver.

• 2 weeks later...

When you format the drive in disk utility it gives you the choice of installing the os 9 driver. Also Sheepshaver uses a disk image to run. However once you install os 9.0.4 on Sheepshaver you can access your main computer as though it was a network drive. Sheepshaver gives you all the classic support that you should need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I wish they would have kept classic, it would have been so easy to incorporate, i mean, basilisk II would fly on osx86

It's too expensive to emulate Mac OS 9.x It would be so SLOOOOWWWW, because what Classic really did was, use an existing PPC processor's type then lie about it (either saying G3 or G4) to emulate Mac OS.

Easy peasy

• 1 month later...

Sheepshaver is a very good emulator (I use the PC version to load 9.0 on the PCs at my school) but it cannot emulate OS 9.2.2.

If you have an earlier version of OS 9, then you can do it, but otherwise, not at all.

And as said earlier, Sheep relies on .hfv or .img files for emulating it, so as long as it is in a .img file (.dmg images don't work in Sheep and .hfv can't be mounted in Finder), you can access the files in the emulated copy of Mac through the Finder. And, as said earlier as well, you need to go to one of the configuraion tabs in SheepGUI and enable the guest to access your drives via networking. Also, you need to use slirp ethernet configuration for being able to access the internet.

And, if you don't already know, you need a ROM file. The newworld86 ROM is probably the best for this install, but you can use any other compatible ROM file.

And just one note about emulation speed, on a single-core 3.2 GHz Intel PC running XP, the OS 9 speed will be about 100 MHz.

• 8 years later...

Hi guys,

I know it's not a good idea to bring back the old topic and sorry if I did but I'm so excited about this; so, I recently found out that it's finally possible to install Mac OS 9.2.2 on macOS and Windows using QEMU which is so exciting for me and I thought it is  worth it to share the news (although the project is not that new it's been going on for a while now and it is still work in progress) and I'm so excited about it. :)

I successfully booted Mac OS 9.2.2 on both macOS High Sierra and Windows 10 so it works on both platforms.

I loved Mac OS Classic and really enjoyed working with those gorgeous machines back in the day. This brings lots of good memories back :)

Here is the link for more info if you are interested:

http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848

Thanks to whomever that made this possible.

Cheers

post-1011040-0-88219600-1507897875_thumb.png

post-1011040-0-38317000-1507897899_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

SheepSahver is one hell of an emulator, Audio and Network work on SheepShaver but qemu doesn’t support audio (atleast not yet) and network is a bit buggy.

Unfortunately my PowerBook G3's LCD has broken...  :lol:

23319014_1815160838496464_83150916213505

• Like 1

That's too bad.

I loved those laptops :)

OK, following http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848...

It seems that qemu-system-ppc boot, but I just got stuck at gray screen. And here are my files on QemuOSX folder:

Notebook:~ badruzeus$ cd /Users/badruzeus/QemuOSX
Notebook:QemuOSX badruzeus$ ls
Libs			openbios-ppc		vga-driver
Macintosh_9.2.2_Uni.iso	qemu-system-ppc		vgabios-stdvga.bin
efi-ne2k_pci.rom	qemu.command
efi-rtl8139.rom		qemu_vga.ndrv
Notebook:QemuOSX badruzeus$  

CeAohaQ.jpg

Any special method to boot with Macintosh 9.2.2 Universal *.iso file?

OK, following http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=8848...

It seems that qemu-system-ppc boot, but I just got stuck at gray screen. And here are my files on QemuOSX folder:

Notebook:~ badruzeus$ cd /Users/badruzeus/QemuOSX
Notebook:QemuOSX badruzeus$ ls
Libs			openbios-ppc		vga-driver
Macintosh_9.2.2_Uni.iso	qemu-system-ppc		vgabios-stdvga.bin
efi-ne2k_pci.rom	qemu.command
efi-rtl8139.rom		qemu_vga.ndrv
Notebook:QemuOSX badruzeus$  

Any special method to boot with Macintosh 9.2.2 Universal *.iso file?

What I did was to create another hard disk image, booted from the Mac OS 9.2.2 image they published and mounted the installer image and then installed a clean version of Mac OS on the new image and then edited the config file to boot from my own HDD image.

• Like 1