My PC in an Apple PowerMac G4 Case

LukeSki

25 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have been doing a mod where I am putting a hackintosh in a PowerMac G4 case.

My specs are as folows.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Extreme

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Ram: OCZ Gold 10666

GPU: XFX 9800GTX

PowerSupply: OCZ StealthXStream

I have pictures of it here:

http://console-hacks.com/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia

It a full walkthrough.

Please tell me what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I built my PC into a G4 case like this, but I used a mATX motherboard because I couldn't see any way to fit a full size ATX motherboard. How did you get Asus Maximus Extreme to fit? I am thinking I will upgrade to an X58 motherboard but they're all ATX.

4850 doesn't work well, btw T_T;

I'm interested in your G4 MDD mod, as I could get a case for free, but there is the PCI ports on the other side problem..For what I see the options are either having the mobo away from the border, and connecting the ports with cables, or cutting away the whole back part..

All I did was position the motherboard in the right place so that it wouldnt hit any thing. At the moment I am doing puting a pc in a mirror case.

Have a look at my site for progress.

It looks like you recessed the motherboard from the back panel by about 2 inches since the corner of the case's metal plate is cut off and the motherboard would extend into the corner area?

If that's right, can you access the back panel connections normally? did you move or rebuild the back area to be recessed with the board or leave it in the original place?

Yeah, I can get to the back panels easy. What you said is correct, I removed the back panel then positioned the motherboard and then lined it back up with the PCI slots.

It just meens the back slots are further into the computer, but still easy to get to.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all, long time since I updated this, Im here to tell you that I have just done another G4 case mod that is cleaner than my last one, I will be update some photos of it on my website soon, I just wont have the walkthrough on how it was make.

Just a little update as I have now added the photos to my website have a look here

post-257491-1231178152_thumb.jpg

post-257491-1231178309_thumb.jpg

post-257491-1231178427_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I always liked that case and put it to a glass blower friend that we should model a glass case after it. We ruled it out on grounds of cost and, of course, weight, but I still love the curves, that it doesn't look like an ugly beige or black box. I thought of making a wooden case but wood, unlike single ply glass or metal, is an excellent insulator, which is not something that you want in a case. Plus, I have yet to see a wooden home-build that doesn't look like a packing box. The metal case of the current Mac king leaves me cold. The insides are a work of art whereas the outside looks, to me, cold and brittle and even a little cheesy. The mod job that the guy did to that metal case is stunning, a gorgeous work of art but, as I remember it, it took him a year to get everything together.

I might try and find a G4 case going cheap but I wondered if anyone reading this has come across any other original case designs that they find attractive?