Colour banding

macprodan

30 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...
colours look very poor and there is noticable banding between gradients.? i have 1280x1024x32 in boot.plist same happens with 1280x1024x24

I heve the same thing... happens only when my LCD is connected to DVI, looks fine on analog. Ati Radeon 9600.

Same thing here. Although System Profiler says 32-bit, i have 16 bit color and experiencing banding.

Using Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop with NVIDIA Geforce 6800 Go. (OSX 10.4.5)

Is there any fix to this?

Are you using the Macvidia drivers? www.macvidia.com

Connected my laptop to a CRT monitor and banding is gone. It solves the issue. I guess LCDs connected with DVI (including laptop LCDs) are running at 16bit mode for some reason. :)

http://www.deviantart.com/view/6248662/

If you see banding at the sky with this pic, you are running at 16bit mode.

najt; Yes, i am using macvidia b1b5 drivers, but the issue is not with macvidia drivers, i had this same thing before with VESA drivers.

its nvidia related, I noticed it for the first time in linux. When I ran the X.org native "nv" drivers I got "color banding," when I switched over to the drivers written by nvidia it went away. You might want to talk to np_ about it. See what he says. I think it maybe as simple as dithering is turned off, or it maybe something far more complicated.

I don't think its NV related, since first 2 posters experienced same with ATI cards. Also, using analog instead of digital monitor connection solves the problem for both NV and ATI. So i guess the problem is with the monitor connection. I hope it has a simple solution, since 16-bit display looks really ugly with OSX.

Already talked with NP_ about this, he said it might be hardware issue. He suggested it might be because of RAM but my RAM runs without any errors, just ran memtest86+ and passed.

Anyone who uses LCD connected with DVI or laptop LCDs (digital connections) please check the picture i gave and post if you see banding.

I've got the same problem, I see banding with my laptop LCD. How I can to fix this?

Only known workaround is using analog connection instead of digital. For laptops that means connecting to a CRT monitor.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this? This is serious issue effecting everyone using laptops and DVI LCDs.

• 1 month later...

I also have this problem on ATI Radeon 9550. But it seems to me that the problem is somewhere inside the OpenGL driver. Most video apps, like VideoLAN & FronRow (and QuickTime i think) use the OpenGL interface for rendering video files. What if OpenGL only works in 16 bits?

Or could it be that our LCD displays are not actually rendering 16 mil colours and in VGA mode they adjust, but in DVI mode they don't convert the colour information?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got any closer to figuring this out yet? Nothing seems to have been posted in quite some time, and I'm anxious to get my Apple Cinema display running to its full potential :D Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

David

• 4 months later...

People:

if you use a DVI connection and notice grainy/dithered wallpaper, you are running osx86 under 16bit mode although it says 32 bit!

I have the same problem here. Profile:

10.4.7 JAS DVD

Dell 4550 with P4 2.4 GHz CPU + ATI 9800Pro 128Mb + 768Mb RAM

There is lots of color banding via DVI

Solution so far: connect via VGA analog, problem goes away

Does anyone using DVI not have this problem? Could you share your system profile with us? Thanks!

Cool

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, thanks to paco_. I was a titan user, but this 16bit "bug" it's really annoying.

nVidiaEFI (never heard about it, always only titan and natit...) is the MUST HAVE for any mac user!

Tested and working with my geforce 6800.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...