Voodoo Kernel BETA 2 - Available now

mercurysquad

325 posts in this topic

Using Beta2 (not Beta2b)

Test 1 - Passed (Both power-button sleep and apple-menu sleep)

Test 2 - Passed

Test 3 - Passed thus far

Test 4 - FANTASTIC!!! Everything is MUCH more stable (was able to play WoW for a couple hours without a kp or div-0 error, as opposed to getting one after about 20-30 minutes before)

Test 5 - Passed

Test 6 - N/A

Test 7 - Not Tested

This is by FAR the most stable kernel. I have not had a single kernel panic since I installed it, which is amazing. I've also had absolutely no mouse drift like I used to get after about 20-30 minutes.

I will leave my system on overnight to see if it becomes unstable after a longer burn-in, and will report any issues.

I tried to upload my system info, but I get the "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file" error

OK. One last quickfix (Beta 2c) is uploaded before I go off to sleep. Strange that beta2 (original) worked for BladeRunner's P4....

Everyone else, please delete your mkext, boot with -f and then recreate the mkext (probably done automatically after you restart 2nd time).

Who! Major confusion factor here. I *never* said beta2 worked for me - any version.

I tried what you said - build the kext cache under beta2. To do that I need to boot under beta1, erase the kext cache at /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext and copy an Extensions directory to System/Booter. Then reboot under beta2.

Under beta2 I need to reverse the previous steps - build the System/Booter/Extensions.mkext and erase the Extensions directory.

I did all that. NO JOY. Beta2 would not boot using the kext cache built under beta2 with or without the -f flag. Beta2 says there is a bad checksum and it can't unpack the cache. On the other hand, beta1 loves it just fine.

Hi. This beta2c seems to run faster than the previous beta1. I am using /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext, like BladeRunner, and I have never had a problem with that (it loads completely with no issues at all).

The only problem I find so far (and it is BIG for me) is that it doesn't wake up from sleep. in fact, it seems it wants to wake up, but my monitor doesn't turn on at all. Actually, I realize this doesn't happen anymore even when I use beta1 kernel, but it used to work perfect, some days ago. The only difference between now and the time in which it worked is that I have installed a PCI card with 5 additional USB ports. Also, I am using my trackpad and Keyboard as USB and not PS2, as they used to be. Is it possible this problem derives from that? Is it possible to solve this problem?

Read back in the thread for the solution (use beta_2c and remove the Extension.mkext file using rm -f and then reboot with -f switch).

Beta 1 ran without any problems, beta 2 doesn't run at all. Just after the darwin prompt it reboots the system, which goes on and on and on. So now I'm back on the Beta 1 kernel..

:)

All those who are having problems with sleep/resume - make sure you are using latest stock AppleACPIPlatform.kext from 10.5.5. Most sleep/resume issues are related to the kexts, not kernel.

My appleACPIPlatform.kext is the original from 10.5.5, but still resume doesn't work (it goes to sleep but it doesn't wake up).

EDIT: the only non-vanilla kexts that I am using are:

AppleDecrypt

AppleIntelPIIXATA

IntelCPUPMDisabler

SMBIOSEnabler

Hope you can help me. Thanks

Boot with bootflags: -v -tscpanic and paste what you get.

voodoo_beta2 -v -tscpanic

does not cause a KP.. leopard load usually the desk..

on top of the screen i see busratiopath=1 AMD ATLHON..

i've see the nekton's 3d and is equal to my

ps.. cool 'n queit is disabled!!

voodoo_beta2 -v -tscpanic

does not cause a KP.. leopard load usually the desk..

on top of the screen i see busratiopath=1 AMD ATLHON..

i've see the nekton's 3d and is equal to my

ps.. cool 'n queit is disabled!!

Follow step 5 of procedure 3 and attach the log...

9.5 beta 2a and 2b have been the only xnu kernels causing an instant restart in my system and I've used most of them :) . 2c works though  :( . Still no sleep on my Intel system and no 64bit support on my AMD system  :(

Okay, so whatever changes occurred from Beta 2 to Beta2c obviously fixed my instant reboot problem. All I did was install it like a regular kernel and reboot, no command line work or anything. Its running quite fine now.

Don't know how or why but its all good. :D

Test 1 Sleep/Resume Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 2 Shutdown Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 3 Audio/Video performance Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 4 AMD Athlon Dual-core Timing Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 5 TSC stability Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

All tests passed with "cpus=1" flag ..

I have TSC problem just like Moro21,

athlon64 x2 4200+ (BIOS setting FSB 250Mhz, 10.5x, turn-off CNQ, HT 4x)

Leo4allv4.1.1

voodoo_beta 2c kernel

AppleSMBIOS.kext (official)

AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (Chun-Nan's made)

forcedeth.kext (bhst2 new version)

(1) no any booting options, TSC test different 6~7 sec.

(1a) booting with -v -tscpanic, report;

rtclock_int: 1 (AMD ATHLON)

TSC frequency: 393.751623Mhz, bus=262.501082Mhz, multiplier=1.5x

(2) booting with -v busratio=262

TSC test different 2 sec.

(3) booting with -v busratio=263

TSC test different 2 sec.

(3) booting with -v busratio=262.5

--->> kernel panic occur (just like -v -tscpanic options when booting)