Voodoo Kernel BETA 2 - Available now

mercurysquad

325 posts in this topic

Voodoo 9.5 Kernel BETA 2 Download

Please read the Test plan and debug procedure PDFs before proceeding with the beta test. Please understand that this is a beta test - it may break your system, and novices should not attempt to test the kernel!

The beta brings several fixes for AMD users, as well as generic fixes for cache information, timing code and opcode patcher. AMD users should see improved performance without any timer/div-zero/erratic mouse behaviour. Athlon and Phenom users experiencing audio or timer issues should no longer have these problems. Pentium 4 model 2 users no longer have to specify busratio. AMD users should be able to run Marvin, Zephyroth. Skype and other utilities without problems.

Note: While we are pushing the opcode/cpuid patcher in stages, it is not functional yet. Many apps will work without patching, but absence of a dynamic library patcher means you cannot rely on this behaviour until the final version is released.

As always, successes go here. Bugs go on Google Code.

Thanks!

~VoodooLabs

See my bug reports at Google—neither P4 or Pentium D will boot with beta 2 although boot fine with beta 1!

busratio=XY flag does not work either for 200 x 14 or 200 x 15.

Try bootflag busratiopath=4 -- does that work?

Also, boot with -v -tscpanic and note down the info (the path it is taking) and post here please. Seems like we'll have to push a hotfix for Pentium 4/D users.

Hi MercurySquad,

Neither of those work on the P4. The -v -tscpanic does not even induce a KP; the P4 machine just reboots immediately.

I have not tried on the PD yet.

Just going to dl again in case something went wrong the first time. I assume it is OK to have both voodoo_beta and vodoo_beta2 at the same root level of the drive as usual?

Try bootflag busratiopath=4 -- does that work?

Also, boot with -v -tscpanic and note down the info (the path it is taking) and post here please. Seems like we'll have to push a hotfix for Pentium 4/D users.

Hi MercurySquad,

Neither of those work on the P4. The -v -tscpanic does not even induce a KP; the P4 machine just reboots immediately.

I have not tried on the PD yet.

Just going to dl again in case something went wrong the first time. I assume it is OK to have both voodoo_beta and vodoo_beta2 at the same root level of the drive as usual?

That's weird, something must be wrong with your setup as -tscpanic does induce a KP unconditionally! Please verify. I've checked the new code and can't spot anything immediately.

New dl file does not fix it either.

Any other suggestions?

Checked again and same issue;

voodoo_beta2 -v -tscpanic

does not cause a KP. There are a few lines that flash up on the screen too fast to read but the last one might have ACPI in it and then the machine reboots immediately.

P4 also not working here, will try the other boot options tomorrow, it takes a lot of time here as I can't enter boot options the normal way, chameleon crashes that way. So I do it via com.apple.Boot.plist, but restoring that has to be done with a install disk which takes a lot of time.

And if boot the beta1 kernel that does work fine as

voodoo_beta -v -tscpanic

It does NOT panic and proceeds to the normal functioning dektop.

THIS IS VERY ODD.

I am going to video the lines that flashup after voodoo_beta2 -v -tscpanic before the autorestart and see if I can capture them to read.

And if boot the beta1 kernel that does work fine as

voodoo_beta -v -tscpanic

It does NOT panic and proceeds to the normal functioning dektop.

THIS IS VERY ODD.

I am going to video the lines that flashup after voodoo_beta2 -v -tscpanic before the autorestart and see if I can capture them to read.

-tscpanic is a new bootflag in beta2. beta1 just doesn't understand it so ignores and proceeds to boot.

Please try to get the panic msg as I've looked up and down the sourcecode several times and nothing really jumps at me yet. It could possibly have something to do with the mkext - try also booting with -f flag.

I just tried beta2 on my P4 system. The issues I see are the same as I first experienced on beta1. The mkext that is running fine on beta1 has a bad checksum on beta2. The busratiopath is 4 and the multiplier is 15. The speeds are reported as bus 199.99nn and the cpu sped is basically 2.99nn Ghz.

I tried three times all with -f to reload the kext. All three had the same result. I will go back now and try to follow the test procedures and send report logs.

I will try to work around like I did last time - by removing the mkext and replacing it with an Extensions folder.

It's hard to stop testing -_-, so I also tried -tscpanic and -f cpuratiopath=4. Both gave me nothing except for some kext reload lines because of -f. If you need my systeminfo, it is still in issue 27, can't post it from my iPhone.

I tried

voodoo_beta2 -f

and it proceeds to boot a little further than before showing a lot of fast scrolling messages and suddenly restarts. There is no KP.

I then ran rm -f /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

and tried again—same as above.

Don't know what else to try but something got broken for P4 and D.

It's hard to stop testing -_-, so I also tried -tscpanic and -f cpuratiopath=4. Both gave me nothing except for some kext reload lines because of -f. If you need my systeminfo, it is still in issue 27, can't post it from my iPhone.

It's busratiopath= not cpuratiopath. The encoding is like this:

0: Bootflag busratio specified

1: AMD Athlon

2: Pentium 4 (via new EFI bootloader)

3: AMD Phenom / Shanghai

4: Stock Intel / Apple method (most Intel CPUs)

5: Autodetect which method to use

6: Pentium 4 (via MSR) -- new, only for Pentium 4 family 15 model 2

The mkext that is running fine on beta1 has a bad checksum on beta2.

Just rebuild your mkext in beta2 kernel.

I tried

voodoo_beta2 -f

and it proceeds to boot a little further than before showing a lot of fast scrolling messages and suddenly restarts. There is no KP.

Don't know what else to try but something got broken for P4 and D.

That's probably the bootloader loading all kexts.

Anyway, I've uploaded beta 2b which reverses the P4 changes. See if that works.

You rock!

Although Beta 1 had not many issues for my AMD Althon X2 64 system except timing and sleep issues, especially _gettimeofday causes FPE, Beta 2 runs flawlessly for 2 hours.

I will try to update the system without CPUID patch, as soon as Apple releases one.

BTW, all 10.5 kernels I've tried make messages: CODE_SIGNING: cs_invalid_page. Is there any possible way to avoid this?

Thank you, mercurysquad for your excellent job. :thumbsup_anim:

...but Beta 1 was running soo well on my Pentium 4 system. :thumbsup_anim:

With beta 2 my computer just restarts in a loop..

Even Beta 2b?

I will try to update the system without CPUID patch, as soon as Apple releases one.

BTW, all 10.5 kernels I've tried make messages: CODE_SIGNING: cs_invalid_page. Is there any possible way to avoid this?

Don't do it! I have posted countless times - cpuid patcher is NOT fully functional yet. If you want to risk breaking your system, go ahead.

CODE_SIGNING: there isn't a way to avoid it, neither is there a particular need. This is because of the opcode patcher at work - it patches the files so the code signing check fails for apple-signed binaries. No big deal.

No, beta2b has the same problems. BUT I videod the boot and immediately before it reboots these are the lines:

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel voodoo_beta2

Loading HFS+ file: [voodoo_beta2) from 422d2f0,

Loading HFS+ file: [voodoo_beta2) from 422d2f0,

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext]

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 422d2f0,

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extensions.mkext] from 422d2f0,

/

and this is where it borks to a restart.

Looks like an mkext problem.

OK. One last quickfix (Beta 2c) is uploaded before I go off to sleep. Strange that beta2 (original) worked for BladeRunner's P4....

Everyone else, please delete your mkext, boot with -f and then recreate the mkext (probably done automatically after you restart 2nd time).

OK good. Bug has been spotted and fixed. Thanks a lot for testing. This kind of nonsense usually shouldn't happen in a beta (that's what alphas are for), sorry about that :thumbsup_anim: Goodnight everyone and goodluck with beta testing. Hope no more showstoppers surface.

Don't do it! I have posted countless times - cpuid patcher is NOT fully functional yet. If you want to risk breaking your system, go ahead.

Okay. I can wait. Sorry for bothering you for this.

CODE_SIGNING: there isn't a way to avoid it, neither is there a particular need. This is because of the opcode patcher at work - it patches the files so the code signing check fails for apple-signed binaries. No big deal.

Oh! Excellent! I feel much safer, now. Thanks! :D