1 reply to this topic

antinode

antinode

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I'm not sure what the status is with this project, but I'm able to use the beta2 version of CPUThrottler2 pretty nicely with my Pentium-M laptop and the voodoo kernel. I've found a little cleaner way to deal with the authentication problem by using the UNIX suid bit on the executable. This is a file attribute that will run the app with the permissions of the file owner.

Instructions:

Change the owner of the binary to root:

sudo chown root:wheel /Applications/CPUThrottler2Beta2.app/Contents/MacOS/CpuThrottler2

Change the permissions to include the SUID bit:

sudo chmod 4755 /Applications/CPUThrottler2Beta2.app/Contents/MacOS/CpuThrottler2

Now you should be able to run the app without a password, and it also will not bother you every 5 mins. It's defintely less of a security risk than the suggested fix of disabling the admin timeout. Since you don't need to enter a password on start, it works fine as a Login Item.

Hope this helps. Thanks to SaberSHO for this util!

-antinode

mercurysquad

mercurysquad

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 521 posts
Try the kext from the link in my sig. The CPUThrottler project is probably abandoned now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy